Transferring an open Next Cruise to a TA

This subject might have been discussed here but I could not find anything about it using the search feature and I haven't been on CC since our last cruise. We found a December cruise that we would like to book but 2 different TA's have told us that the Next Cruise has to have been purchased within the last sixty days to be able to transfer it to a TA to have them book the cruise. (There is currently no TA on the certificate.) We bought the NC certificate on a cruise last Thanksgiving so it's sure more than 60 days old but I thought that I remembered the 60 days started once an actual cruise was booked? They say that has changed but we didn't receive anything from Royal notifying us of a change.

Any information that those of you who keep up on this sort of stuff can offer would be greatly appreciated.

This subject might have been discussed here but I could not find anything about it using the search feature and I haven't been on CC since our last cruise. We found a December cruise that we would like to book but 2 different TA's have told us that the Next Cruise has to have been purchased within the last sixty days to be able to transfer it to a TA to have them book the cruise. (There is currently no TA on the certificate.) We bought the NC certificate on a cruise last Thanksgiving so it's sure more than 60 days old but I thought that I remembered the 60 days started once an actual cruise was booked? They say that has changed but we didn't receive anything from Royal notifying us of a change.

Any information that those of you who keep up on this sort of stuff can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I got a Next Cruise certificate on Nov 18 and did not transfer it to a TA until Feb 10th and RCL took it. Give it a try.

What's your motivation to assign this cruise? Unless you are getting a lot of benefits from this TA by assigning i, why do it? There has to be a benefit or I wouldn't bother giving a TA a commission for doing nothing for you....and by not assigning it you can make all the changes to your reservation yourself rather than waiting for a TA to call you back etc....I'm just curious to see why you wish to do this.

What's your motivation to assign this cruise? Unless you are getting a lot of benefits from this TA by assigning i, why do it? There has to be a benefit or I wouldn't bother giving a TA a commission for doing nothing for you....and by not assigning it you can make all the changes to your reservation yourself rather than waiting for a TA to call you back etc....I'm just curious to see why you wish to do this.

You sound like you slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night. (Have you seen that commercial?)

A TA doing nothing? I've had TA's handle things with cruise lines that no one else who does not do the huge amount business the RCL approved TA's do could ever have done. And a commission? What TA are using that charges a commission? The beauty of using a TA is getting their professional services for free. You say you can do it all yourself -- I guess your time is worth nothing. Personlly I have work to do when I'm not cruising and I'm not a trained travel professional.

And then there is the extra OBC they are willing to give us. That would sure come in handy! I refuse to leave money on the table that could help me cruise more often.

If you have to do legwork in order call back to tell the TA he/she was wrong and can take your money because he/she never checked... you might want to look at other TAs.

Thanks for your input but I never call a TA for any of these booking discussions. Email is much faster and more efficient. And I'm very happy with several of the TA's we have been using. It certainly is not their fault that Royal keeps changing the rules - who wouldn't be confused! As I understand this was something new announced in February concerning Next Cruises.

If Patti or Carol happen to be reading this please let me know if either of you have had any experiecne transferring a NC to a TA beyond 60 days of the purchase date. I know both of you keep up to date on the latest rules and regulations. (I tried you contact one of you privately here but I couldn't figure out how to do it.)

Thanks!

TAs do nothing? Right. You have not sat behind my computer. :rolleyes: Blows my mind what some people think of what I do, 7 days a week, even on holidays. :rolleyes:

Anyhow, you can transfer a NC to a TA anytime. It is only if you have assigned a ship/sail date that you have 60 days to transfer it.

The basic price might have been the same for my Oasis cruise but the TA threw in...

prepaid gratuities

$100. OBC

spa certificate

specialty dining certificate

all worth about $400.+

That is the purpose of shopping around.

When you factor in my $100 down I already paid for the 'next cruise', that $100 OBC, my diamond status balcony discount, plus I had some Club Royale credit.....it was a deal I could not pass by.

My TA is worth her weight in gold. I get everything the way I want it then transfer to her. She handles all the last minute details and gets me the dining preference I want (if it's waitlisted). She handles it when RCI overcharges for something (twice so far). She gives me either Pre-Paid Gratuities or some kine of OBC and she doesn't cost me a thing! I pay the same as the self bookers do for my cabin with a little extra. I still can't imagine why everyone doesn't use a TA.:confused::confused:

Re: Shippy’s post –

I have always booked my cruises directly with the cruise line – either by myself online or through an RCI cruise planner by phone. This is something I have never understood – why can you get so much of a better deal going through a TA? (And I know it’s true – my sister just booked the same cruise we did for the Allure next year and she got $250 OBC – we got nothing beyond C&A discounts/certificates which we also could have gotten through a TA.) You can never beat an airline’s web prices with a TA – so why does it NOT pay to book directly with the cruise line?? It seems like the best deals should actually be through RCI. I will probably continue to book through RCI because I like to change staterooms when better ones become available, I’m constantly checking on price reductions, etc. etc. so I would be bothering the TA every day – but it is kind of annoying that when you book through RCI (or any cruise line) you don't ever see the same incentives except maybe a small amount of OBC if you book a special sale.

Re: Shippy’s post –

I have always booked my cruises directly with the cruise line – either by myself online or through an RCI cruise planner by phone. This is something I have never understood – why can you get so much of a better deal going through a TA? (And I know it’s true – my sister just booked the same cruise we did for the Allure next year and she got $250 OBC – we got nothing beyond C&A discounts/certificates which we also could have gotten through a TA.) You can never beat an airline’s web prices with a TA – so why does it NOT pay to book directly with the cruise line?? It seems like the best deals should actually be through RCI. I will probably continue to book through RCI because I like to change staterooms when better ones become available, I’m constantly checking on price reductions, etc. etc. so I would be bothering the TA every day – but it is kind of annoying that when you book through RCI (or any cruise line) you don't ever see the same incentives except maybe a small amount of OBC if you book a special sale.

Once I book, I usually contiune to follow the websites for price & room changes. The TA's have no problem handling my requests.

Examples... On a Celebrity cruise last year I noticed a catagory called Family Balcony popped up 30 days before the cruise. It was as big as a junior suite !I called Celebrity direct for info about it. They said if no families want them when it is 30 days before....they open them to anyone. There are just 2 of us. We had a balcony room already.It was only $100. more. I immediately called my TA who snagged a back corner one for us. Wrap around balcony !

On my Oasis cruise earlier this month, I had a balcony room. I noticed a month before the cruise a suite guarantee catagory opened up for a reasonable price. I called & switched.

As far as airfare.....I would NEVER book through the cruiseline. I have read to many horror stories of people getting stuck in middle seats, several stops,etc.

I want control of my flight. Since I always go a day before, I do not have to worry about delays.

You also must remember that some cruiselines like Royal are considered to be price fixed but that is for ADVERTISED prices. If you get on internet TA's email lists you can occasionally snag an incredible email only sale.

So eventhough agencies cannot change the advertised price....they can offer extra goodies

. We use 5 different sites & have NEVER had a problem in almost 40 cruises on many different cruiselines.

The basic price might have been the same for my Oasis cruise but the TA threw in...

prepaid gratuities

$100. OBC

spa certificate

specialty dining certificate

all worth about $400.+

That is the purpose of shopping around.

When you factor in my $100 down I already paid for the 'next cruise', that $100 OBC, my diamond status balcony discount, plus I had some Club Royale credit.....it was a deal I could not pass by.

That's exactly right. It was $400 OBC on our Alaska cruise. And that's not even mentioning the personal service, help with dining times and such that only a TA knows who to talk to "get it done," actual lower prices than advertised if the TA happens to have group space held on the cruise you want, advice and help with transfers, etc. etc.

If you book without a TA you are paying more (or at least the same amount) to spend your time doing it yourself. I know some of you here think you can do it better but that just is not possible -- you don't have access to the same website or RCL staff that TA's have access to. If it makes you feel better to "be in charge" that's fine... go for... but don't say TA's don't do anything. That simply is not true.

Archived