Century staying in the fleet?

leonardofan

And California

The problem with California is that you basically have to visit Mexico, and their security situation is... not good.

Just look at all of the ships that no longer visit mexico, or whose itins are now overnighting at the very few safe® ports instead of visiting many ports....

Just a word of warning from past experience. Don't believe anything until Celebrity issues an official press release. That includes ships Captains, cruise directors or anyone. Celebritys rumor mill is absolutely the worst.

I personally agree with Jack and believe she will be gone in the next couple of years. I found it very telling that they announced the over a billion dollar upgrade of the M class ships and did not announce anything for the Century.

I would not like to see her go, I think there are some places she can go that maybe the other ships can't.

As much as I hate to do it, I am afraid I also agree with jackdiamond and dkjretired. I love the century dearly, have had some of my best times at sea on her, but I fear it is not cost effective for them to keep her in the fleet.

If they need a place to keep her until she goes, PLEASE bring her to Baltimore where she will be very much appreciated. I 'll bet she would be a sell out most weeks.

Anne

Century has sail dates through winter 2013 on her roll call.

Would it make sense that after the new wider Panama Canal is finished that the S class ships would be doing South America and Alaska? Then you really don't need the Century as a ship to do these areas too.

We too need Century for our April 5 2012 ,15 night cruise.Hard to paddle those outriggers all the way to & back from Hawaii :p

It seems inevitable that Century will go the way of Zenith ,Galaxy ,Mercury ,ie ;as the industry is big ship for the mainline cruisers . The smaller ships will remain & be 6 star lines. This is something we don't want ;as we prefer the smaller ships;) .Azamara here we come :D

We are doing B2B on the Century next May (Pacific coast & Alaska), I hope they keep her up before we sail on her.

The Century is actually on the high side of capacity that we prefer. We may have to focus on HAL to sail on a smaller ship (with generally larger stateroom & higher prices).

I realize that the Century is getting up in age but I wish X would consider adding new midsize ships to their fleet.

Just my .02

The next time Dan the Man does his web chat thing, I'd like him to answer this question: WHY? Why does Celebrity get rid of their older, smaller ships instead of keeping them and adding new ones like every other cruiseline does? Look how many ships Carnival has, and though I've only been on one of their ships (and an older one at that), it was very well maintained, and very full. I just don't understand why they add newer ships to the fleet and get rid of the older ones. I rather like having the choice between sailing a smaller ship on some itineraries and bigger ships on others within the same line.

:mad: Disappointing.

Archived