Sapphire Princess versus Island Princess

Maeshel

I am planning a 2012 one way cruise to Alaska. North or south bound doesn't matter. I have been on 2 and have booked my 3rd cruise on RCI. Would like to do a different line this time.

For those that have been on Island or Sapphire could you relate your experience? I am particularly looking at the food and entertainment.

I was on http://www.beyondships.com They didn't have either of these ships listed but I looked at Emerald Princess. They showed that the Emerald had a Sushi Bar, Do either of these ships have one? I can eat a lot of Sushi.

I've been on both and I would choose the Island Princess for three reasons. One is that even though the Island is actually longer than the Sapphire, she's a Panamax-design ship and has a lot fewer passengers (1,950 vs. 2,670) so the space ratio is better. Another reason is that the Island's buffet is forward, providing great views from there. And finally, unlike the Sapphire, the Island has public viewing decks both forward and aft on several decks so there are more places to go to view the glaciers.

Food, entertainment and activities are similar on all Princess ships. Any differences depend on the Head Chef and the CD.

A balcony cabin on Island is 210 sq. ft. Sapphire is 234 sq. ft. Sapphire is 116 gross tons - the same size as other ships in Princess' fleet that carry 3100 passenger as opposed to Sapphire's 2670. Sapphire is very spacious. I felt the Island was a little more "snug". Food and entertainment are comparable. Sapphire Princess is a little more expensive than Island Princess. Northbound sailings are a little cheaper than Southbound. Both ships are lovely.

I have sailed on both ships and would take the Island over the Sapphire. Not that either is bad, but I really like the size of the Island. The one thing I recall the Island did not have was a dedicated night club like Skywalkers, but that was not a huge deal. If you are getting a balcony on the Island, I would avoid the Aloha deck, except for the bump outs. The overhang from the deck above is more severe and can limit the view and picture opportunities from the balcony.

A balcony cabin on Island is 210 sq. ft. Sapphire is 234 sq. ft. Sapphire is 116 gross tons - the same size as other ships in Princess' fleet that carry 3100 passenger as opposed to Sapphire's 2670. Sapphire is very spacious.
Gross tonnage is the weight of the ship, not a direct indication of the amount of public space. The Sapphire would weigh more because it's wider; the Island is a Panamax ship, designed to sail though the Panama Canal's current locks. The passenger space ratio on the Island and Coral is the best in the fleet. :)

It's been a while since I've been on the Sapphire, but there is one thing I don't like about the Island/Coral for viewing.

They both have large glass panes on the upper decks - I believe they're wind shields. To me, they significantly obstruct the view, it's like watching out a window.

That bothers me, but probably not most people.

Other than that, the Island would be a great ship for Alaska.

Gross tonnage is the weight of the ship, not a direct indication of the amount of public space. The Sapphire would weigh more because it's wider; the Island is a Panamax ship, designed to sail though the Panama Canal's current locks. The passenger space ratio on the Island and Coral is the best in the fleet. :)

Actually (and I hate to contradict you Pam :p), gross tonnage is a measure of a ship's overall internal volume not its actual weight.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gross_tonnage

I was just on both of these ships last week. Personally, I prefer the Sapphire because:

a.) It's bigger and there just seems to be more room

b.) The Horizon Court buffet is where it should be - in the aft of the ship (this drives me bananas about the Coral/Island Princess!!)

c.) It has 2 small pools on the aft of the ship

c.) The Island's aft pool is not usable unless you pay to use The Sanctuary. This used to be my very favorite pool and place to hang out, but not anymore! This cuts down on deck space that you can lay out on in the aft area of the ship.

Most people will not agree with me on this, but I thought you'd like to hear another viewpoint instead of the same old "go with the Island" posts. The Island is a nice ship and has it's good points too, but I just prefer the Sapphire/Diamond. JMHO.

I was just on both of these ships last week. Personally, I prefer the Sapphire because:

b.) The Horizon Court buffet is where it should be - in the aft of the ship (this drives me bananas about the Coral/Island Princess!!)

c.) The Island's aft pool is not usable unless you pay to use The Sanctuary. This used to be my very favorite pool and place to hang out, but not anymore! This cuts down on deck space that you can lay out on in the aft area of the ship.

Most people will not agree with me on this, but I thought you'd like to hear another viewpoint instead of the same old "go with the Island" posts. The Island is a nice ship and has it's good points too, but I just prefer the Sapphire/Diamond. JMHO.

I'll agree, while I LOVE the Island and Coral (the Universe Lounge is great, the Bayou cafe is beautifully themed especially with the band area and many of the rooms are very nice, the indoor pool is adults only) I would lean toward Sapphire or Diamond after the dry dock improvements are made. My only beefs with the Island/Coral are that the ship feels very thin and long. The walkways on cabin levels (which I frequently use to get quickly from one end of the ship to another to avoid congestion in public areas) is rather annoying with the bulb-outs and there is a lot of open deck discontinuity on the upper decks due to the sanctuary. However, the ships have the great public and aft viewing areas and the full time full promenade (all grand class and derivatives have the front promenade closed at night and medium seas.)

That said, the multitude of pools on the sapphire and the new improvements with the future drydock make it a very nice ship, probably better than the Golden or Caribbean which are my current favorites)

Quite honestly, you can't go wrong with either and if I was in your shoes I would have trouble picking. I went on both the coral and island this last spring expecting a great experience that far surpassed the other ships in the fleet and it didnt quite live up to it. Thats not to say they are bad ships; the expectations I garnered from folks on this board perhaps made it a bit unrealistic. REGARDLESS! You'll have a great time on either

I have never been on the Island but have been on the Coral a couple of times and have been on the Diamond and Sapphire a number of times....our preference would be the Sapphire hands down. The ship is wider and feels much roomier. The public areas are large and easier to maneuver. The viewing areas are superior and of course it has Skywalkers which is great for viewing. By the 2012 Alaska season the Sapphire will have had its refit and have all of the new whistles and bells like the IC and alike.

It's been a while since I was on the Island, but I'm going again this year. I was on the Sapphire more recently and liked the ship so much that I've booked two more cruises on her. I just like the feel of the Sapphire. She will have so many of the great amenities added after drydock including the International Cafe. I don't think anyone addressed the Sushi question, but if there is Sushi it would be on the Sapphire not the Island -- correct?? Someone else could probably answer that better than me. I like the Anytime Dining choices on the Sapphire with the theme dining rooms.

We went on the Sapphire to Alaska last August and the Island to the Panama Canal in December. I liked both ships. I'd go with whichever was cheaper. The advantages/disadvantages of a large ship versus a small ship don't matter that much.

Totally agree. Also, Skywalkers is a wonderful forward viewing location, and the enclosed Calypso Reef pool is a great benefit for those wishing to swim in any weather. We have been to Alaska on the Diamond and Sapphire and love both. An IC will only make it better!

Totally agree. Also, Skywalkers is a wonderful forward viewing location, and the enclosed Calypso Reef pool is a great benefit for those wishing to swim in any weather. We have been to Alaska on the Diamond and Sapphire and love both. An IC will only make it better!

The Lotus pool is the enclosed pool on Coral/Island. IMO, being adults only and adjacent to the spa, is a more refined area, very tranquil with very comfortable loungers. There is also no overflow from the buffet in this area so its typically very peaceful as "through traffic" is also minimal.

You also get a dedicated library and game room on the Island (emerald deck, top of atrium). While there is a library presently on the sapphire, I assume it will be replaced my leaves or alfredos at dry dock. Not sure if that matters to anyone however since its usually pretty easy to find a quiet spot in the wheelhouse bar during the daytime (or club fusion)

Skywalkers is aft facing with limited sections of the lounge available to see anything forward. She and Diamond are sisters.

Ciao for now!!!

Archived