Buying Alcohol in Port to take Home?

CinWay

I tried to find the answer to this but didn't. I know about not smuggling liquor onboard but I am interested in buying some bottles of alcohol which I cannot get at home. For instance I've been reading about chocolate vodka, etc. I assume this is not a problem but I'm not sure. Is it a problem? If it isn't a problem, how should I handle the situation?

I tried to find the answer to this but didn't. I know about not smuggling liquor onboard but I am interested in buying some bottles of alcohol which I cannot get at home. For instance I've been reading about chocolate vodka, etc. I assume this is not a problem but I'm not sure. Is it a problem? If it isn't a problem, how should I handle the situation?

If you buy it in port X will confiscate it upon boarding, but you should be able to recover it on departure. Ask for a receipt.

If you buy it in port, they will take it as a standard procedure and then return it to you on departing the ship. This is done all the time especially on Caribbean itineraries. Have done this many times. I have also found that the ships prices are generally about the same as those found in port.

Has anyone out there actually brought alcohol home? I don't want to take the chance of buying something if I'm not going to be able to take it home. Thanks in advance!

Yes, we have. In the Baltic in 2006, we bought vodka and declared it on reboarding. They just waved us through. In Maderia in 2010, we had to hand it over until the final day.

I suspect it may have something to do with how likely it is for people to buy alcohol in a port. In Maderia, they were clearly organised to collect in the bottles but, in Poland, no one else seemed to be bringing bottled on board and someone and it was probably an inconvenience to take ours in.

Sue

You should get your "confiscated" alcohol back the last evening in your stateroom. If you buy (or bring on board) liquor that is confiscated during the first of back to back cruises, it will miraculously appear on the last night of your first cruise. You will just have to be on you honor not to drink any of it during the second cruise.

If you want to buy liquor for home, don't forget that if you are flying home after the cruise, that liquor can't go in your carry on luggage. Many seem to forget this.

If you buy it in port X will confiscate it upon boarding, but you should be able to recover it on departure. Ask for a receipt.

We bought two bottles of Limoncello when we were touring Myknos. We offered it to security when reboarding and they let us keep it. Go figure. :)

If you buy it in port, they will take it as a standard procedure and then return it to you on departing the ship. This is done all the time especially on Caribbean itineraries. Have done this many times. I have also found that the ships prices are generally about the same as those found in port.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but if you buy liquor on the ship just wondering if you pick it up before you leave or is it delivered to your room. Also, should I buy bottle protectors/transporters before we leave, or are they available on the ship? I don't remember seeing them on our last cruise on NCL so being new to Celebrity, this is why I'm asking.

On Celebrity, liquor you buy on board at the liquor store is delivered the night before the cruise ends. They sell inflatable bottle protectors in the shop which work very well and they will blow them up and put the whole thing together for you. They are quite bulky and will take up a fair amount of room in your suitcase, so plan accordingly. We always bring some bubble wrap from home and a few giant zip=lock bags for a d-i-y version.

On Celebrity, liquor you buy on board at the liquor store is delivered the night before the cruise ends. They sell inflatable bottle protectors in the shop which work very well and they will blow them up and put the whole thing together for you. They are quite bulky and will take up a fair amount of room in your suitcase, so plan accordingly. We always bring some bubble wrap from home and a few giant zip=lock bags for a d-i-y version.

TY cruisestitch...and thanks for the tips! :) We lost a huge bottle of Cruzan on the way home from the last cruise due to the baggage beasts. :rolleyes:

I just wanted to give you our experience with this. We like to buy different rum, etc. at the ports and always bring it back on in our backpack and have never had it taken away from us. It wouldn't have mattered since we were getting it to take home, but they didn't detect it. I have seen others just go to a table after checking back in from port and hand over their purchases to be returned the last day of the cruise.

In Grand Cayman we bought a multipack of different rum and they delivered it to the ship to be held for us until the last day. Different islands and stores, different rules.

Enjoy your cruise.

Liquor purchases in port- Bring on ship & security will take it from you & hold until end of cruise. That being said, we were given wine in Mykonos & security let it go through.

Flying home-It will have to be in your CHECKED baggage- the 3 oz rule. If you check liquor/wine buy Wine Skins or Bottle Armour which are cushioned bottle protectors-see Magellan's or Travel smith catalogs.

Finally, check your larger liquor/ wine shops. They may have exactly what you are looking for without the hassle factor

Enjoy your trip

Carole

Archived