Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

We just got back from China in November. We applied 3 months out but went through a visa service. Our agency suggested the multiple entry, and when we got our visas back, we noticed they are good for a year. One thing to know - Hong Kong is not part of your visa. If you start your tour in China (i.e. Beijing) then when you enter Hong Kong from China, you are considered to have departed from China. After your Hong Kong stay if you are flying back into China, that's considered a re-entry into China. Hence the need for a multiple entry visa.

Blonde Mini - Do you know which Ritz Carlton? There are two in Beijing. One is called Ritz Carlton Financial Street - I think the other one may be near the airport. Anyway, the Financial Street one is superb! We stayed there in mid October. Rooms are lovely and the breakfast is divine - try the croissants (believe it or not). The only downside is that it's in the financial area and a bit away from the "sights" so you'll have a bit more of a ride than some other hotels which are more in the older "cultural" areas of town. Also, it's not exactly on the street so a bit hard to find on your own. If you're getting a taxi from the airport on your own, make sure you have the address written in Chinese as the taxi drivers do not speak English. If you're being transferred by Viking, no worries.

Normally you apply for your Visa about 90 days in advance of travel which is good for one year; in your case apply about March 15. If you use the agency suggested by Viking they will ask for a need by date; I always provide a date about week later then if I were paying the expediting fee. In my four cases I had Visa in hand by the date I specified. If you are a US citizen the cost was the same for a one time Visa or a multiple entry the last time I required one in 2012.

One key point about the visas that no one has mentioned yet is that while your visa may be good for a year, you still must enter the country for the first time within 90 days of issue, otherwise the visa becomes invalid. Therefore, you should not apply for it more than 90 days before your departure date.

Those who are planning to go to the Chinese consulate by themselves should read the website for the consulate they will be visiting; each consular office handles things in its own way. Remember that you will have to make two trips to the embassy unless the office offers return by mail service.

While the consular office website may say to apply a month before traveling, that doesn't allow enough time if anything goes wrong.

Finally, one last heads up. Go right now and check the expiration date on your passport, so that you have time to renew your passport now if necessary. It must expire no less than 6 months after your proposed travel. Yes, yes, I know your passport says that it is good for 10 years but in truth, it is only good for 9 and half, since many countries will not let you enter if your passport is not good for at least another 6 months. Even Viking states this on their website:

When traveling abroad, your passport must be valid for at least 6 months following your visit.

Read more about travel documents on the Viking website.

Blonde Mini - Do you know which Ritz Carlton? There are two in Beijing. One is called Ritz Carlton Financial Street - I think the other one may be near the airport. Anyway, the Financial Street one is superb! We stayed there in mid October. Rooms are lovely and the breakfast is divine - try the croissants (believe it or not). The only downside is that it's in the financial area and a bit away from the "sights" so you'll have a bit more of a ride than some other hotels which are more in the older "cultural" areas of town. Also, it's not exactly on the street so a bit hard to find on your own. If you're getting a taxi from the airport on your own, make sure you have the address written in Chinese as the taxi drivers do not speak English. If you're being transferred by Viking, no worries.

I am staying in the Ritz Carlton Financial Street, I really can't wait. Everyone quotes paying for tips and gratuities in dollars, does any know if they take English pound?

I am staying in the Ritz Carlton Financial Street, I really can't wait. Everyone quotes paying for tips and gratuities in dollars, does any know if they take English pound?

I do not know the answer about pounds.

If you are asking about tipping in hotels, cabs and restaurants, please realize that China is a non-tipping society and tips are not expected in those places, even from westerners.

I do not know the answer about pounds.

If you are asking about tipping in hotels, cabs and restaurants, please realize that China is a non-tipping society and tips are not expected in those places, even from westerners.

We also stayed at the Ritz. We ate dinner in their restaurant the first night and there was a line on the bill for TIP. I wasn't sure how to handle this situation so I left 10%. I had also read where tipping was not necessary.

My husband and I went to the China Consulate in Los Angeles yesterday to get our visas. We had everything ready and filled out ahead of time. Our visas will be ready for pick up on Wednesday. Viking gives you the option to use a visa service but we just decided to do it ourselves. You need two clear pages in your passport, completed application (can download from the China Consulate website), one passport photo, and they asked for a copy of our airline tickets so make sure to bring a copy to leave with them. We booked air separately (not through Viking). If you booked through Viking you should bring a copy of your paperwork showing you have your air with them. You pay the fee when you pick up your visa. It's $140 for one person.

I am staying in the Ritz Carlton Financial Street,

Re staying at this hotel, we encountered the most personal service (other than on the ship) at this hotel while on the tour--we started in Beijing too. The entire staff, including the wonderful executive chef, went out of their way to make us feel welcome and to help in any way they could--including the executive chef walking me to the shopping mall under the hotel directly to the grocery store! We are going back to China in a month and a half for business and are sorry that we can't include Beijing in our itinerary. We absolutely loved it and since we didn't know any different didn't notice a difference in the ride from the hotel to the major monuments that we visited. It is truly superb. Enjoy!

We didn't really tip (in the normal American sense of tipping 15 to 20%) anywhere in China, including the Ritz Carlton. Sometimes we would leave some spare coins on the table if the service was good, but mostly not.

Regarding the British pounds, you should probably exchange some pounds for yuan when you check into the Ritz. All hotels that we stayed in in China were happy to exchange money, and since exchange rates are monitored by the government, you don't get any better exchange rate if you go to a bank. The WORST rate we got was at the the airport Monex Exchange. You will need some yuan as you travel around for tips for bus drivers, guides, and the odd souvenir, but not at restaurants.

We too loved the executive chef at the Ritz! He was great! He also spoke highly of the Black Sesame Kitchen but told us it would be impossible to get reservations there. We told him we had already made them months ago and he was delighted as he is friends with the BSK owner Michelle. He stopped by our breakfast table every morning and asked how our previous day had been - just like we were the only ones staying there.

We also stayed at the Ritz. We ate dinner in their restaurant the first night and there was a line on the bill for TIP. I wasn't sure how to handle this situation so I left 10%. I had also read where tipping was not necessary.

Maybe because the hotel is part of an international chain and aims at an international clientele that is accustomed to tipping?

We have now got our flights booked for our October trip.

We will be traveling from the UK and we've booked direct flights with BA.

Decided to make out own arrangements as I have large amounts of air miles available.

I'd be interested to know if those traveling form the UK using Viking's included air also use BA or if they go by a less direct route?

Steve,

If you booked thru a TA, they should get the info for you. If thru Viking direct, just call them. It is a wonderful trip and you will have a topnotch hotel manager, Janos. He is a long time Viking employee and very, very good at his job. Pat

We have now got our flights booked for our October trip.

We will be traveling from the UK and we've booked direct flights with BA.

Decided to make out own arrangements as I have large amounts of air miles available.

I'd be interested to know if those traveling form the UK using Viking's included air also use BA or if they go by a less direct route?

Hi Mark, I am traveling with Viking, they have arranged the flights from london and I am flying BA direct to Beijing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We're going three weeks before you and have no idea which hotels we are in...

How do you find out?

Through our travel agent, we needed to know in advance as we wanted to arrive a couple days earlier than the tours began and voila we received confirmation that in Beijing we will at the Ritz Financial Street location.

Hi Mark, I am traveling with Viking, they have arranged the flights from london and I am flying BA direct to Beijing.

Excellent news.

Thanks for confirming, sounds like we'll be on the same flight as the others then when we go in October.

Below is my link to a roll call I have created for Viking Imperial Jewels of China tour beginning July 7th, 2014 in Beijing.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=41443547#post41443547

I have been reading the forum for a while now and thank everyone for their great insights.:):)

Thank you, sisterpower. I've added your Roll Call to the list I've been keeping and posting here every now and then. If you add the same link to a signature file that appends automatically each time you post, it will point the way to your roll call each time you post. It is easier than trying to remember to mention the link each time you write something. Click on UserCP in the CC header (top of every page) to create a sig file (signature file).

Does anyone else in our listening audience have a roll call link to share?

To make it easy to start a roll call, here is a link to the right forum to get you started. Follow the link and then click on the button that says NEW THREAD. Cruise Critic reminds you: When you create a new ROLL CALL, you MUST include a date in the subject line, and here's the suggested format: Month Date Year Example: January 1, 2014

I remind you:

1. Make sure to have the correct departure date for your sailing, which is the date stated on the Viking website as Day 1 and not the day you leave your house which will be one or two days before the actually start date (or even more if you are doing a pre-cruise of any sort)
  2. Don't forget to include Viking and either the name of the ship or even better, the name of the itinerary, in the subject line.
  3. Writing out the name of the month avoids confusion for our international audience (since 01/12/14 could be understood as January 12th or December 1st, depending on where you live)

Take your time naming your thread since these cannot be changed once the edit window closes (20 minutes after you submit a post). Double check the spelling since the search engine does not correct for misspellings.

Jewels and the Tibet itinerary share the cruise portion of the trip. If starting in Shanghai, they will have the same departure date as well. If starting in Beijing, they have different dates.

Once you start your new roll call, post the link here and I will add it to the list.

ALSO, since I am a privacy nut and this is a very public forum that ANYONE can read, everyone one who is posting on here should read this reminder from Laura, the CC chief honcho, about TMI--too much information.

Happy Trails --oops, make that Happy Sails--Everyone

Edited by Peregrina651

I have noticed many of those posting are seasoned travellers, this is my first trip where there is a significant time change (12 hours) any tips on dealing with the subsequent jet lag.

IMHO, sleeping on the plane is essential. Do what you have to do to get more than just a snatch here and there.

I read somewhere that it takes one day per hour to adjust to the time change. At that rate, you'll be on your way home by the time you have adjusted fully to the 12 hours difference. ;) Actually, I found re-adjusting after the trip to be harder.

Some people arrive, have a meal and then go right to bed, sleeping until the next morning.

IMHO, sleeping on the plane is essential. Do what you have to do to get more than just a snatch here and there.

I read somewhere that it takes one day per hour to adjust to the time change. At that rate, you'll be on your way home by the time you have adjusted fully to the 12 hours difference. ;) Actually, I found re-adjusting after the trip to be harder.

Some people arrive, have a meal and then go right to bed, sleeping until the next morning.

Our flight leaves Vancouver at noon so my plan is to wake at 4 am so I will be really tired and can sleep on the plane for at least a few hours- I sleep pretty well on flights even on short 3 hour flights. We land in Beijing at 2:30 pm so am thinking if we go for exploring right away it might help us stay awake. Thanks for your insight.

Our flight leaves Vancouver at noon so my plan is to wake at 4 am so I will be really tired and can sleep on the plane for at least a few hours- I sleep pretty well on flights even on short 3 hour flights. We land in Beijing at 2:30 pm so am thinking if we go for exploring right away it might help us stay awake. Thanks for your insight.

Right. It is important not to try to get sleep in mid-afternoon or early evening. You will only wake up at 2AM without any time adjustment to your body.