Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

We have been in Beijing since March 28 as we attended the World Men's Curling Championship prior to joining the Imperial Jewels of China cruisetour. The smog has been variable. The air quality index (AQI) the day before we arrived it was over 400 (hazardous) and has been as low 46 (moderate). We brought 3M N95 masks with us from Canada (bought at Home Depot) and have used them several times. Unless the AQI is really low I carry them with us but the longer we are here the higher the AQI can be before we use them as they are quite hot. The weather has been lovely although it is overcast today - no rain. Layering is best for clothes but so far we have not needed to wear our jackets or fleece much (except while we were in the arena watching curling). I found it very handy to have a travel clothes line and laundry soap (I buy the travel laundry soap which is in "leaves" as I have washed out a few things already. I have also been using nasal saline spray regularly and have found it good (DH hasn't used it at all). I brought saline eye drops and haven't used them at all. Heading out now for our first tour. More later....

Thanks for the tips. We are leaving on Monday for Shanghai and the start of our Imperial Jewels vacation and I purchased the same masks at Home Depot to take with us. I downloaded an app on my phone "Air Quality China" and have been checking it daily. The AQI goes up and down. Some days it is hazardous or unhealthy and other days it is less severe. I also have been checking a weather app on my phone for Shanghai, Beijing and Xian and that has been up and down too the past few weeks. Layering seems like the way to go.

After starting our day with a nice breakfast at the Kerry Hotel we headed out for our tour of Tienamen Square and the Forbidden City. Be prepared for lots of people at both sites. Our guide provided lots of information throughout the tour. A lot of domestic tourists are lined up in the square to go through Mao's Mausoleum. Once you enter The Forbidden City there are lots of steps. This may be a challenge for some. We went to the Hotel Nikko New Century Hotel for a nice buffet lunch in a banquet room before returning to our hotel. We had planned to do the optional Summer Palace tour; however, after hearing from our tour guide and others who had done the tour on our own we decided that it would be quite similar to the grounds of The Forbidden Palace and opted to enjoy the rest of the afternoon in and around the hotel instead. Some people are heading to the Opera tonight, but after reading reviews on this board we decided to "rest our ears". We head out to The Great Wall at Badaling and the Ming Tombs tomorrow...looking forward to it.

After starting our day with a nice breakfast at the Kerry Hotel we headed out for our tour of Tienamen Square and the Forbidden City.

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how your time in China is going it makes me even more excited for my trip which begins July 4 (actual tour July 7):)

Thank yours so much for posting on the road. We leave on Sunday for Hong Kong. Fly to Beijing on 17 April for 18 April Imperial Jewels tour. Plan to visit Temple of Heaven on our free day on the 18th. We also will be at the Kerry Hotel. So excited!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We had planned to do the optional Summer Palace tour; however, after hearing from our tour guide and others who had done the tour on our own we decided that it would be quite similar to the grounds of The Forbidden Palace and opted to enjoy the rest of the afternoon in and around the hotel instead.

Glad you are enjoying your trip so far, and thanks for taking the time to post along the way.

For people who haven't traveled yet and are reading the above about the Summer Palace, I just want to say that it's nothing like the Forbidden City and I would advise you not to skip it. At the Forbidden City, you walk through a very fascinating series of palaces and buildings. The "Summer Palace" is a bit misleading in its name, as you don't visit a palace at all. You cross a beautiful lake and then visit a beautiful pavilion. The two sites are quite dissimilar. Red, I'm sorry you missed the Summer Palace, but I hope others don't skip it.

Edited by Turtles06

For people who haven't traveled yet and are reading the above about the Summer Palace, I just want to say that it's nothing like the Forbidden City and I would advise you not to skip it. At the Forbidden City, you walk through a very fascinating series of palaces and buildings. The "Summer Palace" is a bit misleading in its name, as you don't visit a palace at all. You cross a beautiful lake and then visit a beautiful pavilion. The two sites are quite dissimilar. Red, I'm sorry you missed the Summer Palace, but I hope others don't skip it.

100% agree.

49317132_042P109076108_11.10OnadragonboatonKunmingLake.jpg.2fa504b5c70302a02d7308309019aa0c.jpg

2052178064_046100_567608_11.10Marbleboat(1893)attheSummerPalace.jpg.32ad6d2fa0c91a9294fe9530c6d89d5e.jpg

591361354_051100_569108_11.10PaintingontheLongCorridor.jpg.7218ce4ca988bd6e182ced9b1fb0d28c.jpg

After starting our day with a nice breakfast at the Kerry Hotel we headed out for our tour of Tienamen Square and the Forbidden City. Be prepared for lots of people at both sites. .....

Thanks for the update on your trip. Sounds like it's starting out well. I'm in the middle of packing for our trip since we leave on Tue for Shanghai. Based on your dates sounds like you may be getting off the boat when we get on. Have a great trip!

Thanks for the update on your trip. Sounds like it's starting out well. I'm in the middle of packing for our trip since we leave on Tue for Shanghai. Based on your dates sounds like you may be getting off the boat when we get on. Have a great trip!

We are leaving one day earlier, on Monday. See you in Shanghai!

Yesterday we went to The Great Wall and the Sacred Path of the Ming Tombs. Taking advice from this board at The Great Wall we chose the left path which the guide indicated was more difficult but we could see that there were fewer people in that direction. I am not particularly athletic and I made the climb without any real difficulty - like the tortoise slow and steady. Remember to take care coming down. There are stairs and slopes and railings in the steeper parts. Three in our chairs had wheel chairs to take them to the base of the wall and back to the meeting point. We will soon be off on our rickshaw ride in the Hutongs and then the flight to Xi'an. As other posters have pointed out the trip is fantastic and those of you who have yet to depart have a lot to be excited about.

Yesterday we went to The Great Wall and the Sacred Path of the Ming Tombs. Taking advice from this board at The Great Wall we chose the left path which the guide indicated was more difficult but we could see that there were fewer people in that direction. I am not particularly athletic and I made the climb without any real difficulty - like the tortoise slow and steady. Remember to take care coming down. There are stairs and slopes and railings in the steeper parts. Three in our chairs had wheel chairs to take them to the base of the wall and back to the meeting point. We will soon be off on our rickshaw ride in the Hutongs and then the flight to Xi'an. As other posters have pointed out the trip is fantastic and those of you who have yet to depart have a lot to be excited about.

Thanking for letting me re-live through your eyes the best vacation I have taken so far!! I am so enjoying your posts. Please keep them coming.

Some people are heading to the Opera tonight, but after reading reviews on this board we decided to "rest our ears".

Red II, have you heard any reviews of the Opera from the others on your tour? Did people who went say it was good/somethng not to be missed?

Hi Chloe's Mom -- I have talked to a few people in our group who went to the opera. Their opinions seemed to match those of many posters on this board. Costumes and makeup were very interesting but they could have done without the screeching. I have not checked, but I believe you should be able to find some You Tube videos to give you a better idea.

Today was our first intra-China flight (Beijing to Xi'an) and Viking could not have made it easier. Everything went like clockwork. I can tell you that like in North America you can take liquids which are 100ml or less, but not shampoo or cosmetics...those have to be in your checked baggage. I put all of our liquids and creams in a checked bag...it just seemed easier. No one weighed our carry-on bags -- good thing as mine was definitely over the weight limit. Both our checked bags were under the weight limit and there was only one person in our group whose checked bag had to be opened.

Before going to the airport we had our tour of the Hutongs...it was great! The rickshaw ride was fun (and much more comfortable than I was expecting). We were pleased to be invited in to a family home to learn more about the Hutongs. We also visited a tea house which was very interesting. We sampled six teas and had the opportunity to buy tea, tea sets etc. afterwards. No pressure...lots of interesting items. We also stopped at the Bell Tower and saw a demonstration of Chinese hacky sack. They make it look easy, but....

We landed at terminal 3 which is quite new at the Xi'an airport. I was impressed with the size and cleanliness of the airport.

From the airport we were taken to a restaurant for a traditional dumpling dinner...very nice.

I am anxious to visit the Terra Cotta Warriors tomorrow! Will write more later.

I can tell you that like in North America you can take liquids which are 100ml or less, but not shampoo or cosmetics...those have to be in your checked baggage. I put all of our liquids and creams in a checked bag...it just seemed easier.

Thanks. Quick question. I noticed you mentioned shampoo. I used to always pack shampoo when I traveled, but stopped as late as both hotels and cruise ships always seem to supply shampoo (I'm a guy. Generic shampoo works for me, I don't need any special stuff). Will I need to pack my own shampoo for this trip?

Hi Steve, you should not need to worry about shampoo or conditioner...I only mentioned it because there was a sign at security in the Beijing airport.

We just got back from our visit to the Terra Cotta Warriors...this was an excursion that I was particularly looking forward to. When expectations are high there is always a risk of disappointment, but I can honestly say that was not the case. It was an amazing experience. It was quite crowded today given that it is Saturday but we were all impressed that we got a change to see everything to everyone's satisfaction. Some posters have talked about buying boxed sets of the Terra Cotta Warriors which the farmers are selling in and around the museum. I did not buy one of these but if you are interested I would suggest that you bargain hard or wait until you are exiting the museum if you want the best price. The first price I heard was 100 Yuan - some in our group paid $5 and by the exit the price was $1. We did buy a book/CD signed by one of the farmers who discovered the site while digging a well -- this was in the book store in the building housing the chariots.

Tonight we are off to the Tang Dynasty Dinner and Show.

We attended the Tang Dynasty Dinner & Show this evening in Xi'an. Both the dinner and the show were very good. Everyone in our group enjoyed themselves and each of us were glad we had opted for this tour. We fly to Chongqing tomorrow to board the Viking Emerald.

Hi Steve, you should not need to worry about shampoo or conditioner...I only mentioned it because there was a sign at security in the Beijing airport.

We just got back from our visit to the Terra Cotta Warriors...this was an excursion that I was particularly looking forward to. When expectations are high there is always a risk of disappointment, but I can honestly say that was not the case. It was an amazing experience. It was quite crowded today given that it is Saturday but we were all impressed that we got a change to see everything to everyone's satisfaction. Some posters have talked about buying boxed sets of the Terra Cotta Warriors which the farmers are selling in and around the museum. I did not buy one of these but if you are interested I would suggest that you bargain hard or wait until you are exiting the museum if you want the best price. The first price I heard was 100 Yuan - some in our group paid $5 and by the exit the price was $1. We did buy a book/CD signed by one of the farmers who discovered the site while digging a well -- this was in the book store in the building housing the chariots.

Just a heads up. There was some conversation about this in Viking China Part I, many years ago. The warriors sold by the vendors may not be the same quality as those sold in the gift shop. You may experience breakage because they have not been fired; pack them with care.

Also, for those who want a set of warriors to display at home but not have to worry about getting them home, you can buy them on line (usually from a museum or the National Geographic Society store). You will pay a similar or even cheaper price than the gift shop at the Warriors. These are the higher quality warriors. And no one needs to know that you bought them online. ;-)

Edited by Peregrina651

This site was very informative regarding liquids in hand luggage:

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/essential/baggage.htm

It basically states No liquids can be brought onto the plane in hand luggage only in checked luggage. This is of course different from travelling within Canada or the US. Very note worthy.

Thank you for sharing your experiences day by day. We are leaving on Monday so getting very excited! I am interested in hearing about the Tang Dynasty Dinner and Show. We are doing the reverse itinerary, starting in Shanghai. You will be ending in Shanghai. We arrive in Shanghai on Tuesday (one day early on our own) and staying at the Ritz Portman. I think we will skip the opera. I am also very excited about seeing the Terra Cotta Warriors. Glad to hear your experience was great!

We had planned to do the optional Summer Palace tour; however, after hearing from our tour guide and others who had done the tour on our own we decided that it would be quite similar to the grounds of The Forbidden Palace and opted to enjoy the rest of the afternoon in and around the hotel instead.

May I ask what the price of the optional tour of the Summer Palace is?

This is one of the many instances where passenger feedback shapes the tour for those following. Many of our tour group wanted to go back to the hotel following our visit to Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City because they were too tired from their flights the day before. Our guide was obligated to do the tour if only one person wanted to go because it was part of the itinerary so to alleviate the problem it's now an optional tour. As Turtles06 stated the word "palace" is a misnomer; the Chinese name for the site is (颐和园)Yíhéyuán which a literal translation would be similar to "Rhythm Harmonious Garden." Hé has many uses in the Chinese language so I am only guessing that it means harmonious in this instance. Nothing in the Chinese name refers to a palace. In fact you will visit (豫园) Yùyuán literal translation Happy Garden in Shanghai. Obviously 园 is Chinese for garden, but remove the border and 元 yuán is Chinese for dollar. Admission price to the Summer Palace is about $5 plus the cost of the boat ride so that should provide a reference as to what VRC is charging for transportation and the guide. I would have rather visited the Summer Palace on my own because there is so much of it not covered during the tour.

One of the window paintings on the Long Corridor.

IMG_7801-M.jpg

The Long Corridor to allow the Empress Cixi to walk in the shade throughout the garden.

IMG_7815%20copy-M.jpg

Example of the painting of the Long Corridor

Summer%20Palace%2022-M.jpg

Longevity Hill and the Temple of Buddhist Virtue...this area is not part of the VRC tour.

IMG_7095-M.jpg

I have never flown Air China before…Any good? Also, what do we need to do as to seat assignments and so forth? I don’t see a place on their website offering seat assignments…

Check out the Sky Trax website for anything related to airlines worldwide. Air China is rated at 3 Stars which is comparable to most US domestic airlines. Per Sky Trax definition of their rating system: The 3-Star Airline Rating is awarded to airlines delivering a fair Quality performance that conforms to an industry "average" of acceptable product and service standards.

The 3-Star Airline rating signifies a satisfactory standard of core Product for most travel categories - but may reflect inconsistent standards of Staff Service and/or Product delivery in either the Onboard or Airport environments.

May I ask what the price of the optional tour of the Summer Palace is?

This is one of the many instances where passenger feedback shapes the tour for those following. Many of our tour group wanted to go back to the hotel following our visit to Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City because they were too tired from their flights the day before. Our guide was obligated to do the tour if only one person wanted to go because it was part of the itinerary so to alleviate the problem it's now an optional tour.

According to the Information Book that came in our documents (we leave for Shanghai on Tue) the Optional Summer Palace Tour is approximately 130 RMB, which includes transportation and a guide. it describes the tour as follows: You may choose to visit the magnificent Summer Palace, once the summer retreat and playground for the Imperial Family and royal court during the late Qing Dynasty. Considered one of the finest Chinese architectural gardens, the Summer Palace spans over 700 acres. You can enjoy a dragon boat ride across the garden's beautiful lake. The boat ride may not be available from mid-October thru early June due to shallow water).

The conversion site I check says $20.93 for the 130 RMB

While I'm at it the prices for the other optional tours are listed as:

Optional Tang Dynasty Dinner & Show

you may choose to experience the era's grandeur with traditional song, dance and colorful period costumes during tonight's optional dinner show (cost of optional tour is approximately 490 RMB, which includes transportation, dinner, the performance, and a guide).

490 RMB is about $78.89

Optional Peking Duck Dinner

You may choose to enjoy a Peking duck dinner, the region's famous dish. This delicately roasted meat undergoes a specific process that originated during the Ming Dynasty (cost of optional tour is 300 RMB; transportation, dinner, and guide services included)

300 RMB is about $48.30

Optional Peking Opera

Peking opera is a form of traditional Chinese Theater which combines music, vocal performance, mime, dance and acrobatics. The Peking opera is renowned for its complex storytelling and regarded as one of China's cultural treasures. It is truly a once-in-a-lifetime experience (cost of optional tour is 150 RMB; transportation and the performance are included)

150 RMB is about $24.15