Now THIS is a Good Thing

greeneg

From RCCL Investors site:

http://www.rclinvestor.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1614500&highlight=

Am really glad to see this being done.

Ed:

They have actually been doing this for years. I believe the godmothers of the four S class ships are all cancer survivors and at least a couple of them have been leaders in the movement. Agree, it is a good thing.

From RCCL Investors site:

http://www.rclinvestor.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1614500&highlight=

Am really glad to see this being done.

My mother did not survive her battle with breast cancer but I am a 3 1/2 year survivor and I am thrilled to see that Celebrity is doing this. I will enjoy my cruise even more knowing that they are supporting the search for the cure.

Thank you, Celebrity!!!!!

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I carefully select the charities I support and do not appreciate being pressured to support other charities in any situation but especially when on holiday and for what is for me an overseas charity. I have no ojection to any organisation supporting charities of their choice and, in fact, applaude them for doing so but who I support is my choice.

Sue

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I carefully select the charities I support and do not appreciate being pressured to support other charities in any situation but especially when on holiday and for what is for me an overseas charity. I have no ojection to any organisation supporting charities of their choice and, in fact, applaude them for doing so but who I support is my choice.

Sue

With all due respect, you aren't being 'pressured', this is something you personally select and it isn't some 'overseas' charity. I suggest you read the article:

"The Breast Cancer Research Foundation® was founded in 1993 by Evelyn H. Lauder as an independent, not-for-profit organization dedicated to funding innovative clinical and translational research. In October 2011, BCRF is awarding $36.5 million to 186 scientists across the United States, Canada, Latin America, Europe, the Middle East, Australia and China."

And since it is for breast cancer research, I would assume any positives from the research would benefit all women not just those in the US.

Den

With all due respect, you aren't being 'pressured', this is something you personally select and it isn't some 'overseas' charity. I suggest you read the article:

As I read the article, in addition to a fund raising cruise [with which I have no objections], Celebrity intend to push the charity to guests on board other cruises. Perhaps I am just misreading the PR hype but, from experience, organisations can get too carried away with their enthusiam for a good cause. As for the charity, I did follow the like to it wbesite and it did claim to fund work globally but it is basically a charity which raises funds in North America. There are many truely international charities which I feel would be more appropriate.

Sue

I somewhat agree with Project_gal.

There are certainly charities with a more global reach like Unicef, Red Cross/red Crescent, which deal with the true tragedies in life and help those who need help the most: the poor in the poorest countries.

Breast cancer is a terrible disease, just like so many other diseases and is unfortunately a fact of life. Breast cancer is also one of the more researched cancers and one of the cancers with a better survival rate. Its death toll pales compared with Malaria for example.

By the way, I am annoyed that most breast cancer fundraisers seem to "forget" that also MEN can get breast cancer.

HOWEVER: I DO support RCI in supporting a good cause. Only with the support of big corporations and without the usual lobbying can charities truly get big funds.

If it is funding research in numerous countries and would benefit all women with breast cancer, but you don't think it is a 'truly international charity', please define how this isnt a 'truly international charity'. And before you 'accuse' it of mainly raising funds in the US, go to their website.

I'm a bit surprised someone is complaining about a cruise line raising money for a worthy cause, especially when they apparently know so little about it and haven't taken the time to read anything about it.

Den

First let me state that I am a Breast Cancer survivor and have participated in many fund raising events for the cause.

I can to some extent see where Projectgirl is coming from. If I donate money to Canadian charities I can get a tax receipt, so the charity benefits by more than the eventual cost to me. $100 donated to an out of country charity costs me $100. $100 to a Canadian charity costs me around $70 (figures are not exact). For this reason I generally prefer to direct my dollars within my country.

However, research in any country benefits everyone, and Celebrity is not forcing anyone to give. Many people do not consider donating unless they are asked, and Celebrity is providing an opportunity for people to support a cause if they want to. HAL has 'On deck for the Cure' and I was happy to walk the deck with many others in this fundraising endeavour. Lots of people came out to watch, and dropped donations into a box. They may not have bothered to put $5 or 10 in the mail, so this money might not otherwise have been received.

Sheila

My soapbox --

Although I understand the concern about breast cancer, it's a fact that more women die of heart disease than all cancers combined. The heart association just hasn't done the PR job that breast cancer has. By all means, get your mamograms but be informed about heart health, your family history and your lifestyle. Doing these things can possibly have a more positive effect on your life than marching for breast cancer, etc. (although there certainly is a place for that).

Boy, you never know how a thread is going to be responded to. I agree there are many, many good charities, and there are higher threats to people's health, and so on. That's why this is Voluntary. None of us or companies can support all charities, and they may not have picked your favorite charity, or what you consider 'appropriate' for a company that has international customers, but is there a real issue here?

I also realize that postings can come across more strident or more negative because we aren't talking face-to-face, but 'push a charity on guests', 'PR hype', 'claim to work globally', 'getting carried away'.....a don't disagree that 'something' is getting a bit carried away here. If you don't care about this one, then give to what you think is appropriate, or you think impacts you and your community more, or is more effective, or what is more 'international' if that is what is important. Or don't give to anything.

Enough...I'll just contribute to the 'Buy a Sailor a Drink' charity and hope I get free drinks!

Den

Hmmmm... wondering if Project_gal knows what happened during the Christening of Eclipse in Southampton last year ??

OK, my interest is piqued -- just what did happen during the christening of Eclipse in Southampton last year?

Also, I did buy the Gilt package and I can't say I felt any pressure to purchase it :p. I'm not sure what everyone is up in arms about. Celebrity says they will donate a few dollars from the purchase of the cook book to the foundation. Has anyone actually seen any evidence of Celebrity "pushing" people to donate in other ways on board?

I pine for the days when the U.S. tax system will be revamped with a flat tax and the elimination of all of the below the line personal deductions. I believe that under such a system the world will realize that the citizens of the United States of America will continue to be the most generous folks in the world in relation to their donations to charity. In other words, most of us are generous due to our love of our fellow man, wherever he or she may reside; and, said generosity is not guided by our desire to obtain a favor (tax deduction) from some government.

Evidence please!

Oh Please, whenever there is a disaster we are the go to people. All you have to do is look at any disaster in the world. Isn't even something that you or anyone else can dispute. And please don't try and say its the government. Might also point out that in most cases it is our military who does the heavy lifting. Just common sense, look at any disaster.

Here is a site that shows level of giving to Red Cross:

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_red_cro_don-health-red-cross-donations

Another site with more info. This shows % of individuals who give in various forms:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/sep/08/charitable-giving-country#data

The second site I think is very interesting since it gives info on how individuals contribute either their money or time (also because it's a UK site). All of this is tricky since it is impacted by population sizes. In one list, Luxemburg was the highest when listed by % of giving by population to an international charity. It did so well because it is small. For the same charity, the US was highest when listed by total giving and did well because if it's size: US gave $221M while the second, France, gave $50M.

Interesting that China, the most populous and doing so well in the current economy, is near the bottom for everything. So we can pick on them - mainly because they don't cruise with us a lot!

Den

I’m surprised that the US came in as high as 18th on that particular measure but even then I am not sure that eighteenth position qualifies the statement ‘the citizens of the United States of America will continue to be the most generous folks in the world’

Since we are comparing at the nation-state level, we should consider total expenditure as % of GDP and not just individual bits and pieces.

There are only 5 countries in the world that achieve the UN target of 0.7% of GDP for help and assistance. These are the sums spent on relief for natural disasters and the like.

attachment.php?attachmentid=209092&stc=1&d=1318259663

chart.pdf

chart.jpg.816ee34c70a5b2f9eae379b6bcc2798a.jpg

I’m surprised that the US came in as high as 18th on that particular measure but even then I am not sure that eighteenth position qualifies the statement ‘the citizens of the United States of America will continue to be the most generous folks in the world’

Since we are comparing at the nation-state level, we should consider total expenditure as % of GDP and not just individual bits and pieces.

There are only 5 countries in the world that achieve the UN target of 0.7% of GDP for help and assistance. These are the sums spent on relief for natural disasters and the like.

attachment.php?attachmentid=209092&stc=1&d=1318259663

You can put up all the charts, statistics and use semantics anyway you wish. It is an indisputable fact, whenever anything happens, we are usually the first there and contribute the most without question. You could go back decades for comparisions but the government and the military represents the citizens of the US. Even with all our economic problems we will still do it.The charts you show also probably do not represent the billions we spend on our military to facilitate all the other countries aid coming in. Remember Haiti, Japan, etc. When the earthquake hit Haiti, the airport was out. We came in and cleared it out, set up air traffic control and then supplies were brought in mostly by American Military Aircraft.. I don't know what your purpose in making your comments are but it makes no sense.

Oh, by the way, guess who pays over 50 % of the precious UN budget not counting security, etc, by NYPD and others.

This is like arguing whether its going to get dark tonight and your saying its not....Duh

"The Breast Cancer Research Foundation® was founded in 1993 by Evelyn H. Lauder as an independent, not-for-profit organization dedicated to funding innovative clinical and translational research. In October 2011, BCRF is awarding $36.5 million to 186 scientists across the United States, Canada, Latin America, Europe, the Middle East, Australia and China."

And since it is for breast cancer research, I would assume any positives from the research would benefit all women not just those in the US.

Den

And people seem to forget that men can get breast cancer too! Have your wife, your partner or someone check you out. Men usually discover it in late stages because they are not checking for it.

I agree it is a concern for men also - I'm looking forward to my wife checking me out!

Personly, I think the arguments and 'data' (including mine) misses the point on who gives more misses the point. Comparing GDP and so on can be misleading since many of those comparisons have to do with 'state' giving and not individuals. I kind of liked that one list that showed how many give of their time, not contributing money - to me, that is a real indicator of caring. But there are so many ways of showing how we are a connected community.

Den

And people seem to forget that men can get breast cancer too! Have your wife, your partner or someone check you out. Men usually discover it in late stages because they are not checking for it.

Not only do they not check it out, most men don't believe they can get breast cancer. Need a little more awareness on it. The National Football League does a lot for breast cancer, they would be the perfect outlet to not only bring awareness to women but also to men...

Archived