Princess Cays Bugs

Shogun

In the Princess article they refer to dengue fever at the Princess Cays in the Bahamas. However, the letter says " widespread activity of dengue fever throughout the Caribbean region " Are there other spots in the Caribbean with outbreaks of dengue fever we don't know about?

Sali

In the Princess article they refer to dengue fever at the Princess Cays in the Bahamas. However, the letter says " widespread activity of dengue fever throughout the Caribbean region " Are there other spots in the Caribbean with outbreaks of dengue fever we don't know about?

Sali

DH is a travel agent and the office just got a bulletin of 200 dengue fever cases recently in the Bahamas.

Thank you for posting this Shogun. We are supposed to be on Princess Cays on October 20. I have seen friends of ours in Mexico with it - it is not a disease one wants to catch - worse than any flu - and it can be fatal. What fun is Princess Cays if you take the proper precaution and wear long sleeves and long pants ?

Most people don't want to wear long pants and long sleeves at a beach. I think it would be better to use a good insect repellent, one with a high percentage of an ingredient called DEET. The most effective brand I know of is an Australian brand called Bushmans, available with 20%, 40% or 80% DEET. I do not know if it is available in the USA, but I am sure it could be ordered on the internet.

Apply before you go ashore and then again when you come out of the water after swimming. If the mosquitos don't land on you they can't bite and you can't catch dengue fever. Believe me, you don't want to catch dengue!!

We have some friends who got very ill when they got home from a Caribbean cruise, wonder if they had dungue fever. Took them months to recover. I just thought it must have been something they ate or a virus they picked up.

Think I'll bring my "buzz off" shirts we got awhile back when we go to the Caribbean in January. And bring lots of

repellant.

Sali

I think it's been a problem in Puerto Rico for awhile. I had read about it in early 2010 when researching a cruise that stopped at San Juan.

We had to get a very high deet content repellant when we did the Amazon a few years back, plus a whack of shots. One thing to know about deet is that it is not recommended to use high deet content on children.

Hello we are from not so sunny united kingdom.:confused: Is their any injections from this? I have never heard of it.

Hi from an unusually wet Oz......No there are not any injections to prevent this. I looked up the World Health Org site:) I think the op meant shots for other things apart from Dengue. We have it in northern Australia at times also.

Jen

Hi All

Some remember I posted this a few weeks ago, I now fear any thing that bites me, and yes have had about 20 bites since with no problems, but I still panic just now when I get bitten.

Hi All

Sorry not be around the last few days,

Thought you might find the story of interest,

While some countries have snakes others big cats Scotland has nothing more

Than little flying beasties.

Well one of these beasties bite me two weeks ago ,on my arm, so what, happens all the time, you get a red spot and itch for a few days and that’s it.

Well a week later I got up one morning to find a lump the following day this lump was the size of a tennis ball so of called out of hours doctor, this was Sunday morning got an appointment within an hour of calling was seen at local hospital and issued with a weeks pills a 160 of them no cost as Scotland has a health service.

Well following evening arm is swollen so call my own GP request an appointment got one with 20 minutes, was happy had right type of pills just keep taking them,

Well 36 hours after arm is red and hot so call out of hours again given appointment within an hour,

Seen again at local hospital, now this hospital is brand new opened by Queen just few weeks ago massive multi million pound state of the art place,

So the Out of Hours GP looks and says you are going to see a consultant, different part of hospital

So walk down one hallway, then another and another to the acute department,

Wait only 2 minutes and called put into an assessment bed three hours later I have had blood taken, results confirm major infection, so moved to my own little room sat TV etc, On suite etc all very nice, put on IV, so me thinks will get out next day, Doctor confirms move to medical ward following day, now on 8 bottles of IV a day , three days later I am home with boxes of piles.

Infection not over but no need for a hospital bed, came very close to doing real long term harm

And all over a tiny insect bite that became infected.

Yours Shogun

Archived