What to eat in Australia.

Hi Again,

Learning to speak aussie well here is the guide to ordering...

1. The first course is the entree.

2. The second course is the main course and salad is not usually served as course on its own unless its the entree.

3. Dessert comes next..or cheese etc.

The evening meal is "dinner". Cookies are biscuits commonly called "bikkies". What you call biscuits..is more like what we call a scone which can be sweet or savoury. Ketchup is tomato sauce. We like our bacon soft not crisp. Soda is soft drink like coke etc. We like pizza too but it will be different...more toppings and less cheese.

Australians don't usually eat croc, camel or kangaroo...the beef, lamb and seafood is way too good.

In Sydney and Melbourne you can probably find restaurants from almost any cuisine Chinese, Vietnamese, Greek, Italian, Turkish are all common.

Who says we like our Bacon soft... I love it crisp and well cooked and always ask for it like that. That being said, it is hard to find a restaurant in Australia where they cook it crispy, probably because it is precooked and reheated in Bain Marie's or other reheating devices. Damn shame I say

The chocolate shop in Katoomba is called the Paragon...yummy.

Vegemite has an added benefit if you eat lots...apparently the vitamin B in it causes you to be unattractive to mossies...so I was told by a chemist yesterday.

You need some lovely Australian wines to wash all this food down. Not sure what goes with vegemite...LOL

I'm assuming "mossies" are mosquitos - another word to add to my Aussie dictionary. :)

Going to definitely check out the Paragon. I found a review with photos - looks like a good place to pick up some goodies to take home since we'll be leaving the next day. We'll be taking the train and it looks like it's just down the street from the railway station.

You realise you are opening yourself up for some Aussie sarcasm :p Disclaimer: I can't really say if this is good stuff or not....but it's Aussie :D

OK, my picks

Meat pie from Harrys Cafe de Wheels at Woolloomooloo. An Aussie icon (but it looks like they're spreading out now :eek:) http://www.harryscafedewheels.com.au/Home.aspx

Vegemite on toast for breakfast! You should be able to get that at your hotel.

Pavlova - the true Aussie dessert

Crocodile

With your hamburger....go the works which includes bacon, egg, pineapple and cheese.....ensure they use beetroot, some don't :(

Our seafood is the best in the world! Apart from the other suggestions, try our prawns (I think you call them shrimp). Yummy!

Actually the Pavlova was invented in NZ,

Aussies are always taking credit for things invented in NZ.

Whether you believe me or not, it is a real sweet dessert, not good for dieabetics and fat people but tastes B...dy good

Who says we like our Bacon soft... I love it crisp and well cooked and always ask for it like that. That being said, it is hard to find a restaurant in Australia where they cook it crispy, probably because it is precooked and reheated in Bain Marie's or other reheating devices. Damn shame I say

yes..give me American style bacon anyday over ours..

yes..give me American style bacon anyday over ours..

I lived in Europe for four years and traveled to most of W. Europe. It always amazed me that Europeans eat their bacon almost raw.

Most Americans like their bacon crispy, as do I.

I say kiwis can keep their pav... And Russell Crowe ;)

I don't care who invented the pavlova, after all New Zealanders are our cousins. Well, I have cousins over there anyway. :)

I just know I make a great one with tons of meringue which everyone enjoys eating, especially when covered with strawberries and raspberries. I use 6-8 eggs depending on how the egg situation is in the fridge.

I also like Russell Crowe, a great actor.

Jennie

Archived