What to eat in Australia.

We will be spending a couple of days each pre and post cruise in Sydney. What are some of the foods we should look for when eating in restaurants?

In another thread I've learned about hamburgers with beetroot and an egg. Sounds interesting and we may try it.

I've also heard of Tim Tams. Still trying to figure out if they should be classed as a candy or a "biscuit" - see, I've already learned one Aussie word. :) But from what I've read they're good and I need to stop at a supermarket and find some to take with us.

We'll be staying downtown (Grace Hotel) and visiting the Maritime Museum, the Harbourside Center, Chinese Garden, Queen Victoria Building, zoo, Wildlife World and the aquarium and taking the train to Katoomba.

So, any tips about what to look for as far as good stuff to eat? Thanks.

yes

1. kangaroo but only have it rare!
  2. Barramundi (fish) have it anyway it's delicious
  3. meat pie with tomato sauce...forget the mushy peas as that's more from Britain (we're from SA & our state dish is pie floater...lol!)
  4. AND don't foregt the wines from Mclaren Vale

You realise you are opening yourself up for some Aussie sarcasm :p Disclaimer: I can't really say if this is good stuff or not....but it's Aussie :D

OK, my picks

Meat pie from Harrys Cafe de Wheels at Woolloomooloo. An Aussie icon (but it looks like they're spreading out now :eek:) http://www.harryscafedewheels.com.au/Home.aspx

Vegemite on toast for breakfast! You should be able to get that at your hotel.

Pavlova - the true Aussie dessert

Crocodile

With your hamburger....go the works which includes bacon, egg, pineapple and cheese.....ensure they use beetroot, some don't :(

Our seafood is the best in the world! Apart from the other suggestions, try our prawns (I think you call them shrimp). Yummy!

Buy some chocolates from Haighs. There is a store in Sydney. Try some vegemite. Check the excellent wines from the Barossa Valley or a glass of Penfolds Grange. Definately buy some Tim Tams and they will be in the Biscuit area of supermarkets. And enjoy!

We will be spending a couple of days each pre and post cruise in Sydney. What are some of the foods we should look for when eating in restaurants?

In another thread I've learned about hamburgers with beetroot and an egg. Sounds interesting and we may try it.

I've also heard of Tim Tams. Still trying to figure out if they should be classed as a candy or a "biscuit" - see, I've already learned one Aussie word. :) But from what I've read they're good and I need to stop at a supermarket and find some to take with us.

We'll be staying downtown (Grace Hotel) and visiting the Maritime Museum, the Harbourside Center, Chinese Garden, Queen Victoria Building, zoo, Wildlife World and the aquarium and taking the train to Katoomba.

So, any tips about what to look for as far as good stuff to eat? Thanks.

Candy in general would be lollies.

Bug is really good, really! think mini lobster and it becomes a bit more palatable.

Agree on Kangaroo rare- drink with a good Shiraz in a lighter traditional style (not the over the top oak juice that gets the big ratings.

Lamingtons are extraordinary.

Pavlova, surprised the Kiwi's haven't jumped on this but Pavlova is a bit of a land mine in regional cuisine, both countries claim it.:D

Tim Tams, oh if there were just one reason to fly to Australia- well it probably wouldn't be Tim Tams (you can get in the US) but once there it behooves you to eat as many as possible.:cool:

Pinot Noir from Tasmania. Hard to get outside of OZ. Hard to get outside of Tassie in many cases but worth finding.

If beer and ale is to your liking, may I fuel the fires by suggesting Cooper's Ale from SA? Let the words begin to fly! :eek:

Take the ferry to Manly, worth the price just for the ride, in the terminal just as you enter on the right is a "coffee" shop with arguably the best hot chocolate in Sydney. Max Brenner the Bald Man.

It is all good.

OK - I've gained 10 pounds just reading all the answers.

Have to say no to prawns or bugs (had to look that one up to find out it's a little lobster) - we don't care for shellfish. Other kinds of regular fish we do like.

I think I had heard of Lamingtons - they look good. I've been looking at the Cole's supermarket ads to see what's interesting.

I looked vegemite up - sounds kind of strange. :D

Thanks everyone. I'll have to start making a list and checking out the websites.

Don't get fish from the supermarket! It's not the freshest and rarely tastes like fish should. Get it from a co-op or a specialty fish shop. You can't go past fresh Gulf barramundi - the farmed stuff is a poor substitution. Tasmanian salmon is pretty tasty also. Vegemite is addictive, but I think you need to grow up with it. ;)

Don't get fish from the supermarket! It's not the freshest and rarely tastes like fish should. Get it from a co-op or a specialty fish shop. You can't go past fresh Gulf barramundi - the farmed stuff is a poor substitution. Tasmanian salmon is pretty tasty also. Vegemite is addictive, but I think you need to grow up with it. ;)

No worry about that - we're traveling and strictly eating in restaurants.

A word of advice if you do fancy trying vegemite: Don't lather it on! I know that in America, it's pretty customary to load up as much spread onto toast or sandwiches as possible, but with vegemite, less is definitely more. Loads of butter and barely a teaspoon's worth of vegemite is perfect on a nice hot piece of toast. :)

I also agree on the Tim Tams front. Although, be aware that you will not be able to stop at one. Try a Tim Tam Slam too - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Tam#Tim_Tam_Slam

OK - I've gained 10 pounds just reading all the answers.

Have to say no to prawns or bugs (had to look that one up to find out it's a little lobster) - we don't care for shellfish. Other kinds of regular fish we do like.

I think I had heard of Lamingtons - they look good. I've been looking at the Cole's supermarket ads to see what's interesting.

I looked vegemite up - sounds kind of strange. :D

Thanks everyone. I'll have to start making a list and checking out the websites.

By the way, we don't expect you to like all this - even some of us don't :cool::p

My favourites are Arnott's Chocolate Teddy Bears so much nicer than Tim Tams. The dark chocolate on the teddy bear makes for a delicious biscuit. Another fun chocolate biscuit is a an Arnotts Chocolate Royal.

Definitely have some fish and chips at Doyles at Watson's Bay. That is the one thing we always do when visiting Sydney.

Try some of our delicious lamb whether it be a chop, cutlet or a leg. There is nothing nicer than coming home after being away than having lamb for dinner.

Vegemite is not for everyone. We all start having it from when are babies but other people find it to be too salty. I agree, don't smother your bread or toast with it, just scrape it on and you will find it is much nicer that way when first trying a taste.

I also agree to visiting a Haigh's Chocolate shop. I always take our American visitors to one here in Melbourne. Try the yummy chocolate frogs in light and dark chocolate and solid or with peppermint inside.

Our wines are unique especially our cool climate wines from the Yarra Valley and Mornington Peninsula.

Enjoy your time here, four days is not really long enough but at least you will get a taste of life here.

Jennie

seriously, how many of us Aussies eat croc ?? !!:rolleyes:

I don't find our food is that different to the States..their restaurants just load the plate more..

Actually, it's surprisingly easy to come by in far north queensland and extremely tasty.

The OP was interested in unique Australian food and so the options were provided to them. I don't understand why it's necessary to poopoo someone's suggestion.

Actually, it's surprisingly easy to come by in far north queensland and extremely tasty.

The OP was interested in unique Australian food ..

I don't understand why it's necessary to poopoo someone's suggestion.

because the OP is wanting to eat IN Sydney..not FNQ or Alice Springs..

OP's question was..What are some of the foods we should look for when eating in restaurants?

I know I have NEVER seen Witchety grubs on ANY menu in Sydney.

it's no wonder we get given the Yobbo Ocker image as standard.

Hmmmm someone got out of bed on the wrong side today :eek:

As for selecting my post on Crocodile. No I personally don't eat it regularly, but yes I have tried it. Maybe you should too :D And yes, it is available in SYDNEY restaurants, if you look for it.

Have a nice day :)

You will only find this in small cafes that sell "proper" hamburgers - not the international global conglomerates such as Mac***** **

Barry

In the big, multicultural cities most 'standard Aussie food' is more likely to be Vietnamese, Thai, Chinese, Italian, Lebanese and increasingly Japanese. Kangaroo isn't hard to find - it's sold in supermarkets - also barrmundi but it's certainly not on every restaurant menu. So the cuisine here is really not so very different to what's available in the US. One big difference however is that food is (usually) served in manageable portions and we don't sneak high fructose corn syrup into everything :p

Hint1: "Entree" here means "Starter". It's followed by "Main Course" and "Dessert".

Hint2: There is no waitress service in pubs. Go to the counter/bar and order/pay for your drinks there. Pay as you go, pubs don't usually do a bar tab unless you are a local and the landlord knows you.

Hint3: Tipping is not required or expected, although you are free to reward exceptional service if you so wish (10% max).

Archived