What to eat in Australia.

Don't forget Australia's best pub!!! http://www.lordnelsonbrewery.com/

Walking distance from the cruise terminal.

Barry

And on the subject of beer, try our wonderful Aussie beers. Fosters, Tooheys, James Squires, Boags, or Crown Lager.

If you prefer stout, which is a darker beer, again James Squire, Abbots or Cooper stouts.

Enjoy!

We have some excellent fast food outlets

McDonalds

Pizza Hut

Kentucky Fried Chicken ....

:D:eek::D:eek::D

oh that's right you probably know them :D

and if you end up in a pub don't order a Fosters - its the worst tasting beer in the world - our joke export.

We will be spending a couple of days each pre and post cruise in Sydney. What are some of the foods we should look for when eating in restaurants?

In another thread I've learned about hamburgers with beetroot and an egg. Sounds interesting and we may try it.

I've also heard of Tim Tams. Still trying to figure out if they should be classed as a candy or a "biscuit" - see, I've already learned one Aussie word. :) But from what I've read they're good and I need to stop at a supermarket and find some to take with us.

We'll be staying downtown (Grace Hotel) and visiting the Maritime Museum, the Harbourside Center, Chinese Garden, Queen Victoria Building, zoo, Wildlife World and the aquarium and taking the train to Katoomba.

So, any tips about what to look for as far as good stuff to eat? Thanks.

Make sure they are double choc Tim Tam's....Yummy!:D Robin

Wow - I got up and we're on page 2. Even have an answer from Robin - who we'll be sailing with on the Radiance. Thanks for all the replies.

I looked at the website for Harry's Cafe - turns out there's one just a couple of blocks from one of the monorail stops so I have a feeling that's where we might go for lunch the first day. Planning on going to places on the monorail the first day - have to keep moving to stay awake after that 14 hour flight. :eek:

Interesting hearing about portion size being smaller than here in the States - I usually end up leaving food on my plate at restaurants here (if I'm not in a position to be able to take the leftovers home) and I hate wasting food. Although I checked the menu of one restaurant and they had 250 mg burgers - that's almost half a pound and considerably larger than what you usually get here.

I'm not planning on McDonald's or Burger King - I can get them at home. :)Although we ate at a Burger King when we were in Germany and I had a beer with my burger which was interesting.

I think I'm getting an idea of what the Aussie sense of humor is - I just have to learn a new language to "get" it.

The great thing about the web is being able to actually look at the menus for restaurants so you not only have an idea of what's served but how much it's going to cost. DH was looking over my shoulder the other day and was commenting on the prices. I told him I'm budgeting for it because I know what's coming. I like not having to factor in the tax, etc. because it's included - wish we did that here.

Candy in general would be lollies.

If beer and ale is to your liking, may I fuel the fires by suggesting Cooper's Ale from SA? Let the words begin to fly! :eek:

It is all good.

And on the subject of beer, try our wonderful Aussie beers. Fosters, Tooheys, James Squires, Boags, or Crown Lager.

If you prefer stout, which is a darker beer, again James Squire, Abbots or Cooper stouts.

Enjoy!

Definately Coopers Pale Ale is the best beer in Australia, followed by James Boags. Some of the traditional Aussie beers are best left alone, like XXXX and the like <another one ducking for cover>

Enjoy!

Nah - Lord Nelson doesn't serve any of that mega-brewed stuff. They make their own - and fine ales they are!!

Barry

An excellent display of aussie humour MP! :)

I've heard of bush tucker and I've heard of the plentiful amount of budgies in the outback at the moment..............maybe fricasee of budgie might be on their menus?

B&B

.....and washed down with a Darwin stubbie of Barbed Wire (XXXX for the plebs) :D

MP

Sparky, which part of the states are you from?

Travelled over there last year to visit my brother n law, who has lived there about 30 years.

His favourite Aussie foods (which he always buys when here, and I had to back in my suitcase when visiting) are, Bunderburg Rum, much better than MYERS rum; Jatz biscuits, Fantail lollies, Minties lollies, ETA BBQ sauce-great on those hamburgers (We make much better burger patties. I cooked some hamburgers with the lot for his American friends and not all were impressed.) Monticarlo biscuits (cookies) and jelly babies(lollies)

Dont know if these are ALL Australian foods, but he loves them and you dont find them easily in USA.

He also loves our Lamb roast or lamb chops.

Oh and "Potato scollops" (not seafood) from a good fish and chip shop. These are getting harder to find as most places dont make them, themselves any more. Somebody from Sydney might be able to help with a location to buy some.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

"Potato Scollops" as you call them in Darwin or Sydney are known Potato Cakes down here in Victoria and they are yummy.

They are usually found in a normal fish and chip shop, that is where we can buy them here. Also, that is where you can find a really good hamburger with the lot so different from the likes of Maccas, Burger King etc.

Jennie

Sparky, which part of the states are you from?

Travelled over there last year to visit my brother n law, who has lived there about 30 years.

His favourite Aussie foods (which he always buys when here, and I had to back in my suitcase when visiting) are, Bunderburg Rum, much better than MYERS rum; Jatz biscuits, Fantail lollies, Minties lollies, ETA BBQ sauce-great on those hamburgers (We make much better burger patties. I cooked some hamburgers with the lot for his American friends and not all were impressed.) Monticarlo biscuits (cookies) and jelly babies(lollies)

Dont know if these are ALL Australian foods, but he loves them and you dont find them easily in USA.

He also loves our Lamb roast or lamb chops.

Oh and "Potato scollops" (not seafood) from a good fish and chip shop. These are getting harder to find as most places dont make them, themselves any more. Somebody from Sydney might be able to help with a location to buy some.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Born and raised in Michigan but the Army dropped us off here in El Paso, Texas about 20 years ago and we decided we liked not spending our winters shoveling snow so we stayed after DH got out. We both ended up working for the City - retired now so we're able to start taking some longer trips. And Australia was first on our "bucket list".

As to the deep fried Mars bars? I think I could get those here at carnivals and fairs - not sure what you would call those. A sort of moveable amusement park I guess would be the best way of putting it.

What a beautiful lake, Lake Michigan is. Loved the few sunmer weeks we had there,during Coast Guard festival at Grand Heaven. Would love to see it in winter, but yes snow shoveling might be over rated.

I am sure we saw something similar to deep fried mars bars.

"Smores" are much better than Tim Tams.

Bacon & eggs, sounds like a strange thing to tell you to try but believe me after 6 weeks of American bacon i was craving some Aussie bacon &eggs

What a beautiful lake, Lake Michigan is. Loved the few sunmer weeks we had there,during Coast Guard festival at Grand Heaven. Would love to see it in winter, but yes snow shoveling might be over rated.

I am sure we saw something similar to deep fried mars bars.

"Smores" are much better than Tim Tams.

Bacon & eggs, sounds like a strange thing to tell you to try but believe me after 6 weeks of American bacon i was craving some Aussie bacon &eggs

The Great Lakes are gorgeous. We lived inland in Lansing but quite often went on vacations to the "coast". :) The snow is pretty - until you have to shovel a foot (or more) of it out of your driveway.

So, what is "bacon" in Australia?

The Great Lakes are gorgeous. We lived inland in Lansing but quite often went on vacations to the "coast". :) The snow is pretty - until you have to shovel a foot (or more) of it out of your driveway.

From an American point of view it is darn near ham and similar to the product that you will get anywhere else in the world. One of the good things about traveling abroad is better (in general) breakfast food. Now I am not saying sausage & biscuits with red eye gravy is a bad thing, but "proper" bacon is an excellent start. And while we are at it let's get some fresh eggs-a whole different thing than the extended shelf life product in US supermarkets. My first really good eggs were less than a day from the chook at a B&B in Australia and different in color, consistency and taste.

From an American point of view it is darn near ham and similar to the product that you will get anywhere else in the world. One of the good things about traveling abroad is better (in general) breakfast food. Now I am not saying sausage & biscuits with red eye gravy is a bad thing, but "proper" bacon is an excellent start. And while we are at it let's get some fresh eggs-a whole different thing than the extended shelf life product in US supermarkets. My first really good eggs were less than a day from the chook at a B&B in Australia and different in color, consistency and taste.

Sounds like your bacon is what we would call "Canadian" bacon - I have no idea why it's Canadian. :)

The "deluxe" breakfast on the menu of our hotel restaurant is huge.

2 eggs on toast, veal sausage, rindless bacon, grilled Roma tomatoes, baked mushrooms, hash browns, and baked beans. :eek: A lot of food.

This reply got buried in another thread under an avalanche of posts about other matters.

Hi Sparky.

Australian bacon is "middle bacon" - it includes the loin (meaty bit) and the streaky "tail". Most bacon in buffets and restaurants will be this combination cut. It is rarely cooked to a crisp although well cooked bacon has nice crusty edges where the fat crisps up without turning the meaty eye into cardboard.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHQAVj59dHI5fMp6y0EjGM2du-tw71xw9eAUgXbKORj9z-vOHt_Q

In some families individuals prefer one end over the other - leading to the old rhyme.

Jack Sprat could eat no fat, His wife could eat no lean and so between the two of them they licked the platter clean.

Enjoy your food and (I trust) wine tour of Sydney.

Colleen

Sounds like your bacon is what we would call "Canadian" bacon - I have no idea why it's Canadian. :)

I have had what they described as 'Canadian bacon' on Princess ships. It is a processed meat - presumably the meat having been sourced from a pig (but I am not too sure;)).

Archived