What to eat in Australia.

as stated "what an interesting topic" Thank you to everyone for their very interesting and sometimes funny posts..

Yes as a south aussie I too am asked if I'm English (Great Britain) I found it mostly when starting secondary school and then recently when I was cruising to Japan...not! from fellow passengers.

agree! I think we pronounce the Queen's english appropriately.

thanks for a great question mate!

B&B

PS

I shall look forward to the d_ck party when we head to NZ in a few weeks...I shall remember this post and have a little chuckle

Hi there,

Just had to add my bit to your remarks. I was born, bred and raised in Glenelg SA, now living in NSW for a few decades.....and believe me the devon over here is nothing like the Fritz in SA. Bung fritz is just the best, and I cannot eat the devon here. They think it is the same stuff, but it's not. Also the German cakes are the best in oz. Love the German/English heritage in SA. I still get 'picked on' for my SA accent, with people thinking I am perhaps either a kiwi or a snob. Have never understood the kiwi bit, as I speak nothing like a NZer, and certainly not a snob. I think it is our (SA) English background ie speaking the correct Queens English, and being from a non convict state. That remark is not meant to sound racy at all, just a fact of origin.

Funny how your original accent stays with you forever.

Jen

"Non convict state" - sounds like I should do some reading about Australia's history before we go. I knew a lot of the first English settlers were convicts but really don't know a lot about your history other than that. Guess I'll check Barnes & Noble to see if I can find a book for my Nook.

Generally Queenslanders, Sydneysiders and Melbournites do have a slightly different accent than us South Aussies. For example we say carsle (castle) while the easterners say cassel (castle) Just one example

B&B

Carsle ( Carsull) is a phonetic Oxford English (Posh) pronunciation - Whereas

Cassell is a Northern English pronunciation - ie the use of FLAT vowels

used by the original British - before the invasion of the Pommes in the South in 1066:D

I don't know about South Australians sounding very English but both my husband and myself have often been taken for being English when overseas. We also pronounce castle

as carsle and maul as marl not maal. We southerners also pronounce Cairns as cennes not cannes as Queenslanders do.

Also the only convicts to settle in Victoria originally were a few at Sorrento and that settlement didn't last. Melbourne was founded on the Gold Rush and we were also a free State without any penal colonies. Because we were so wealthy back in the 1850's onwards, we were known as 'Marvellous Melbourne" and our city plan which is on a grid was so far forward in thinking as we have great wide streets and loads of beautiful parklands surrounding the city.

Jennie

OK - I've gained 10 pounds just reading all the answers.

Have to say no to prawns or bugs (had to look that one up to find out it's a little lobster) - we don't care for shellfish. Other kinds of regular fish we do like.

I think I had heard of Lamingtons - they look good. I've been looking at the Cole's supermarket ads to see what's interesting.

I looked vegemite up - sounds kind of strange. :D

Thanks everyone. I'll have to start making a list and checking out the websites.

Just a hint about the vegemite, most Aussies will say give it a go and I love it myself but I would suggest spreading it very sparingly to start with...:)

"Non convict state" - sounds like I should do some reading about Australia's history before we go. I knew a lot of the first English settlers were convicts but really don't know a lot about your history other than that. Guess I'll check Barnes & Noble to see if I can find a book for my Nook.

When you do your research, you'll find that the Poms used to send their convicts to their American colonies, until your War of Independence stopped that. They then had to find another 'colony' to do it, so started Oz. So you blokes are to blame for our 'sordid' past! :D

MP

So, OK, how does a Kiwi pronounce Deck Six?

ROFL......:eek:

"sordid past"..badge of honour for many aussies now...at least it gave us a healthy disrespect for unfair treatment or unjust rules...transportation to Australia was more about poverty than criminality...anyone interested should see the exhibition at Port Arthur in Tasmania..it will reduce you to tears.

So, OK, how does a Kiwi pronounce Deck Six?

Board rules may prevent this but it rhymes with "sick dux" (swap the first letters).

True story. My nephew went to Auckland airport before travelling home and asked a helpful airport employee where his flight was checking in. He was told "go to that chicken disk". Nephew, puzzled, looked around for a KFC outlet.

ROFL......:eek:

"sordid past"..badge of honour for many aussies now...at least it gave us a healthy disrespect for unfair treatment or unjust rules...transportation to Australia was more about poverty than criminality...anyone interested should see the exhibition at Port Arthur in Tasmania..it will reduce you to tears.

Yes, English debtor's prison.

I think I remember reading that the first official Australian ambassador to England was a transported "convict" and whoever the Queen was at the time had to then greet him with all the traditional honors (and probably wasn't happy about it).

I've read a bit about Port Arthur and that's one of our port excursions we have planned.

When you do your research, you'll find that the Poms used to send their convicts to their American colonies, until your War of Independence stopped that. They then had to find another 'colony' to do it, so started Oz. So you blokes are to blame for our 'sordid' past! :D

MP

There is a myth that the colony of Georgia was founded by prisoners from a debtor's prison. In fact, only a few colonists came from prison.

Also, I am looking for a good book to read outlining Australian history. Can someone recommend one?

Also, I am looking for a good book to read outlining Australian history. Can someone recommend one?

Not an in-depth history, but just finished a nice little book called "The Essential Guide to Customs & Culture - Australia" that I picked up at our local Barnes & Noble. It offers a starting point, covering lots of topics. In talking about the convicts "crimes", it says that one person was sent to Australia for the crime of opening a letter addressed to someone else! Most were for things like stealing a loaf of bread.

Not an in-depth history, but just finished a nice little book called "The Essential Guide to Customs & Culture - Australia" that I picked up at our local Barnes & Noble. It offers a starting point, covering lots of topics. In talking about the convicts "crimes", it says that one person was sent to Australia for the crime of opening a letter addressed to someone else! Most were for things like stealing a loaf of bread.

Just checked and they have it for my Nook - off to download it now.

I posted this about an hour ago but it seems to have disappeared. A great story about our early settlement is "For the Term of His Natural Life" by Marcus Clarke. It is available at Amazon. It describes what a cruel life most of our convicts had in the early days of settlement here in Australia.

Jennie

Yes, English debtor's prison.

I think I remember reading that the first official Australian ambassador to England was a transported "convict" and whoever the Queen was at the time had to then greet him with all the traditional honors (and probably wasn't happy about it).

I've read a bit about Port Arthur and that's one of our port excursions we have planned.

This has to be an urban myth. :) Australia did not come into existence as a country until 1901 and did not have any overseas missions for several decades after that because Great Britain looked after external affairs. Having in mind that transportation of convicts from England to Australia ceased well before 1850, any 'Ambassador' would have been around 100 years old. :)There is also the small matter that Australia has never had an Ambassador in England - only a High Commissioner. Another point is that Queen Victoria died on 22nd January 1901 and the next Queen did not come to the throne until 1952 (crowned in 1953).

This sounds like a good story, but I am sorry to say it cannot be true.:)

This has to be an urban myth. :) Australia did not come into existence as a country until 1901 and did not have any overseas missions for several decades after that because Great Britain looked after external affairs. Having in mind that transportation of convicts from England to Australia ceased well before 1850, any 'Ambassador' would have been around 100 years old. :)There is also the small matter that Australia has never had an Ambassador in England - only a High Commissioner. Another point is that Queen Victoria died on 22nd January 1901 and the next Queen did not come to the throne until 1952 (crowned in 1953).

This sounds like a good story, but I am sorry to say it cannot be true.:)

Another urban legend bites the dust. :) I think what we learn in American schools about Australia probably is pretty sparse. I'm betting that we learn more about the wildlife than about the history, etc. Although it has been a long time since I was in school (graduated from high school in 1964). So I'm looking forward to learning a bit before we come over.

Can't wait to try croc on the Radiance.

As for kangaroo, we have it heaps. Started buying it because it was cheaper than beef, low in fat and high in iron. Now our 11 year won't eat a steak but will eat kangaroo. I agree though, marinated, bbq'd and rare.

Doyles at Watsons Bay is a must for overseas visitors, then go for a walk to The Gap. Great spot.

Vegemite is yuck, not all of us like it. If you like honey, try manuka honey. Ok, it is New Zealand but pretty delicious.

Lamingtons are fantastic, no need to say more. Try and find a little bakery to buy them from.

Hamburgers with the works are awesome, but can be messy, so make sure you have serviettes or wet wipes with you.

There is also, from memory, a great chocolate shop in the main street of Katoomba. Katoomba might be a good spot to look for a little bakery for lamingtons as well. Our local bakery you can buy half a dozen for $6 with cream in the middle. I personally don't like the jam in the middle as well but some do. Might pop down tomorrow and get some for the weekend.

Love all the advice and suggestions, have a great time in Sydney.

Cheers

Leah

Can't wait to try croc on the Radiance.

As for kangaroo, we have it heaps. Started buying it because it was cheaper than beef, low in fat and high in iron. Now our 11 year won't eat a steak but will eat kangaroo. I agree though, marinated, bbq'd and rare.

Doyles at Watsons Bay is a must for overseas visitors, then go for a walk to The Gap. Great spot.

Vegemite is yuck, not all of us like it. If you like honey, try manuka honey. Ok, it is New Zealand but pretty delicious.

Lamingtons are fantastic, no need to say more. Try and find a little bakery to buy them from.

Hamburgers with the works are awesome, but can be messy, so make sure you have serviettes or wet wipes with you.

There is also, from memory, a great chocolate shop in the main street of Katoomba. Katoomba might be a good spot to look for a little bakery for lamingtons as well. Our local bakery you can buy half a dozen for $6 with cream in the middle. I personally don't like the jam in the middle as well but some do. Might pop down tomorrow and get some for the weekend.

Love all the advice and suggestions, have a great time in Sydney.

Cheers

Leah

Thanks.

The chocolate shop in Katoomba is called the Paragon...yummy.

Vegemite has an added benefit if you eat lots...apparently the vitamin B in it causes you to be unattractive to mossies...so I was told by a chemist yesterday.

You need some lovely Australian wines to wash all this food down. Not sure what goes with vegemite...LOL

Archived