Windjammer for Dinner???

We were on Brilliance last month, and after giving MTD a try, we decided it just wasn't for us. We went on formal nights, and it was nice, but we definitely enjoyed WJ for dinner probably 7 out of the 12 nights. Brilliance has outdoor seating in their WJ, so that was an extra bonus!! The food was pretty good, but I think everything tastes a bit better when you are eating outside listening to the waves. The prime rib was awesome!! It was a nice relaxing atmosphere, and much more quiet than MDR. We ate when we wanted, for however long we wanted, and we ate what we wanted (and how much!!haha!) We both enjoyed it, and wouldn't hesitate to do it that way again!

What ship were you on? Didn't they have dim lights, white tablecloths, soft music, and servers bringing you drinks, dessert, and coffee? And, didn't they offer the same food that was in the MDR?

On the Enchantment in Sep 2011 the Windjammer did have many of the same foods as the MDR for dinner. We ate 1/2 of our dinners there and enjoyed all of them. The lights were dimmed BUT there were no tablecloths or music. Servers sometimes brought drinks but that was spotty. No one ever offered to bring desserts, which was fine with us since we preferred to look over the desserts. Staff were very efficient clearing tables, though. It was definitely helpful to keep at least one person at the table at all times! :)

We were on Brilliance last month, and after giving MTD a try, we decided it just wasn't for us...

Yes, we were on Brilliance earlier this summer and felt the same way. We had gone to the MDR to check out the MTD (which we had signed up for and pre-paid our tips), and found the tables were THISCLOSE to one another. It would have been so uncomfortable trying to have dinner and talk... might as well ask everyone at the surrounding tables to join you! Anyway, that's when we tried WJ for dinner, and found we enjoyed it so much we just kept going back every night! Radiance-class ships are so wonderful with the open air aft seating - oh, it was glorious!

Here is a high-def youtube video (not mine) of the Freedom OTS Windjammer for dinner.

OMG - I saw the video and I felt as though I was there! Unfortunately, this

was only 1 of hundreds of short videos the cruiser/filmmaker shot and I

got myself caught up with watching the videos from Portofinos, Chops,

Promenade tour, Sorrentos, Character breakfast and the cabin.

Do not watch the video as you will find yourself watching everything

else and get nothing else accomplished!

What ship were you on? Didn't they have dim lights, white tablecloths, soft music, and servers bringing you drinks, dessert, and coffee? And, didn't they offer the same food that was in the MDR? It's usually so much better than the madhouse that it is at breakfast or lunch.

Not on the Jewel transatlantic. No white table cloths or most of the other things you have listed. As much as I like the Windjammer for lunch, I dislike it for dinner almost as much. Wandering around, plate in hand checking to see what is being offered instead of consulting a printed menu and having a wait staff serving me each course, not just my beverages is more my style. I know and understand that some people enjoy the more casual atmosphere of the WJ at night but I prefer not to indulge.:)

Not on the Jewel transatlantic. No white table cloths or most of the other things you have listed. As much as I like the Windjammer for lunch, I dislike it for dinner almost as much. Wandering around, plate in hand checking to see what is being offered instead of consulting a printed menu and having a wait staff serving me each course, not just my beverages is more my style. I know and understand that some people enjoy the more casual atmosphere of the WJ at night but I prefer not to indulge.:)

Completely understandable! And, I'm glad that not everyone loves the WJ for dinner, otherwise it would be over-packed, like it is at lunch, and nobody would be in the MDR! LOL :)

What ship were you on? Didn't they have dim lights, white tablecloths, soft music, and servers bringing you drinks, dessert, and coffee? And, didn't they offer the same food that was in the MDR? It's usually so much better than the madhouse that it is at breakfast or lunch.

Yes dim lights, no tablecloths, music I don't remember, no servers but the same people who will come to clear the table as at b'fast or lunch, same food as they serve for lunch, nothing special. Lots of crew members eating in there (that does not bother me, I would gladly eat with any of the crew members if I had the chance).

It was on Radiance of the Seas that time.

I like Windjammer for dinner! :D Lots of selection, casual and comfortable. And more importantly, fast!

Nothing is worst than waiting for your main course to arrive knowing the show will start in 15 min. :cool:

We're all different in what we like to do. I'd never fret over not seeing a show onboard a cruise ship. After the first 5 or so shows, I came to the realization they are pretty much all the same. We rarely go except if the people we are with really want to see the show.

Dinner for us is the evenings event. Time spent with family and friends, good conversation, pampered service, nothing rushed. Can't say great food as we don't expect great food on cruise ships. A very pleasant evening with no rushing around. We don't miss a thing ;)

We're all different in what we like to do. I'd never fret over not seeing a show onboard a cruise ship. After the first 5 or so shows, I came to the realization they are pretty much all the same. We rarely go except if the people we are with really want to see the show.

Dinner for us is the evenings event. Time spent with family and friends, good conversation, pampered service, nothing rushed. Can't say great food as we don't expect great food on cruise ships. A very pleasant evening with no rushing around. We don't miss a thing ;)

Sounds like us.:)

We're all different in what we like to do. I'd

In some cases I have found a few things I like (food wise) in the WJ, but what you described is just what I love about the MDR. Yes, the food may not be four star, but is always good food served beautifully and I just love the relaxed pace of the evening meal. I can go back to carrying my diner when I get home:)!

we enjoyed the WJ so much for dinner, we found ourselves outside the doors at 4:55pm waiting for the 5pm opening every night. And we normally hate buffets (would never, ever go to one at home), and are not "foodies" either. We did the MD once, and it was ok, but nothing great. We rave about the WJ for dinner.

Archived