Windjammer for Dinner???

Imagine....soft lights, dining at a table for 2 or 4 by the giant tall windows in the Windjammer, overlooking the ocean. It's pure magic. We loved it so much, we took all of our meals in the Windjammer.

PS. Some evenings you'll be treated to live entertainment, playing softly in the background.

If the same staff is in the MDR every evening for dinner then I am assuming there is a different staff for WJ. Where do their tips come from and do any of you leave a nightly tip in WJ?

That's what I'm saying... you will often see the evening MDR wait staff in the Windjammer for breakfast and lunch. We have seen our waiter, assistant waiter, and Head waiter working the WJ on every cruise. They rotate so everyone moves around. On our last cruise, one of the waiters told us he worked 4 weeks in the DR for dinner, one week WJ dinner. That's why it is important to pay the suggested tips to all the staff, even if you decline the MDR in favor of another venue (WJ, room service, specialty restaurant, other, etc.). They all work in other areas of the ship, and deserve to be paid by tips as such.

You may leave a few dollars on the table in WJ if you wish, but it is certainly not necessary. The staff there are being paid. :)

(OP, sorry to have hjijacked your original question/thread; this is just something that I feel is really important, and that not everyone may understand.)

For me, there is something special about eating in the MDR. It's the atmosphere. We don't get to eat out at quasi-fancy places very often. There is something special in going to the MDR, being presented with a menu and being waited upon.

To provide another perspective ... We did a 9-night on Enchantment in September with My Time Dining. Ate 4 times in MDR, 4 in WJ, 1 in Chops. We found the MDR atmosphere noisy and busy. One night, just before dessert, The Macarena started playing loudly over the MDR sound system. Soon the wait staff was doing a conga line through the MDR and encouraging participation from the diners. Yeah, great atmosphere that night! If I wanted a show I would book a dinner theater. (And we had a similar experience with singing and loud music on a previous Radiance cruise.)

In contrast, the WJ is simply a buffet. You get your own food. The atmosphere is certainly less than the MDR.

Well, the atmosphere is certainly different. It's a matter of opinion whether it's less than the MDR.

Is the food the same? Do they serve lobster tails in the WJ? Are the dessert selections the same?

Not all the food is the same, but much of it is. No lobster, but they did have prime rib. Most of the chilled fruit soups were there.

One evening we looked at the MDR menu and found only a few things that looked appealing, so we went to the WJ. All of the items that looked good to us were available in the WJ. We augmented them with some of the many other choices available that night.

The WJ always had some specials not available in the MDR, such as a custom-made stir fry one night. Plus, we could always see each entree before selecting something. And we could sample a bit of anything that looked interesting, taking more if it was as good as it looked or moving on if not.

As for desserts, they were usually different than the MDR desserts, although the WJ always had at least a dozen to choose from. And. for us, the best dessert of the week (including our Chops night) were the mini Royal Chocolate Cakes in the WJ. For us chocoholics, they were to die for.

The dessert selection usually resembles that of the MDR. The above poster is right - what a treat on the second formal night to have a whole plate of Royal Chocolate Cakes to chose from - instead of begging the MDR waiter to bring you a dessert sampler that only samples the flourless (aka Royal) chocolate cake.

It is so much quieter up in the Windjammer at night. DD and I loved it especially on our Alaska and Mediterranean cruises. We were so tired from our excursions that it was such joy just to head up there and relax and eat. Soaking our feet for as long as we wanted to came after dinner.

Wow - what great responses to my question. Nothing like a food question to get people slamming on the keyboard...

I have never ever eaten in the Windjammer at night. Its always been the MDR, Specialty restaurants and of course the epitome of Burger joints, Johnny Rockets.

I am definitely going to try the Windjammer now. I thought that it was an extension of the lunch crowd - you know the lunch crowd craziness!

This time I am on a 5 nighter and at least 1 dinner (if not more) will be in

the Windjammer (especcially if my travel buddy from Florida is sitting this

cruise out). Last cruise (4 nighter) we ate 2 nights at Chops, 1 at Portofino and i in

the cabin (we had the MDR menu delivered) and it really was not that

good.

I hope they have the escargot, Prime Rib (thick cut with Au Jus), Garlic Mashed Potatoes and that Chocolate Mud Pie from Chops the night I go.

I hope they have the escargot, Prime Rib (thick cut with Au Jus), Garlic Mashed Potatoes and that Chocolate Mud Pie from Chops the night I go.

Don't be afraid to ask, if you want something that's not out. They always try hard to please, so they might be able to go to the kitchen and get it! :)

Don't be afraid to ask, if you want something that's not out. They always try hard to please, so they might be able to go to the kitchen and get it! :)

Hey Rhonda:

You think they can get me that delish chocolate mud pie from Chops with a separate bowl of fresh whipped cream???? OMG = its so good!!!!

You ever try the Tiramasu from Portofino? Its so cold and creamy... I will

definitely ask....

Hey Rhonda:

definitely ask....

We were on the Allure this past May and had lunch at Portofinos. Both my husband and I raved about the Tiramisu and sure enough, there it was in the WJ for dinner.

Our first evening on the ship, we had a problem with the dining room which delayed us enough that we had to skip the MDR and head to the WJ. We enjoyed the peace and quiet as well as the food choices so much, we dined there every night. It was so nice to dine anytime we chose, a beautiful sunset ocean view every night, dim lights and no one within a few table of us most evenings. Yes, we served ourselves but we got exactly what we wanted when we wanted and seconds if we chose. There were no worries about how long our dinner would take and if we would be able to get out in enough time to make our show reservation. We could sit as long as we liked over a cup of coffee or as quick as we wanted if we were running late.

I totally get those who prefer the MDR for many different reasons but, for my husband and I, we are really looking to relax and have found the food in the WJ to be just about the same as that in the MDR, without the lights, noise and time involved.

You may leave a few dollars on the table in WJ if you wish, but it is certainly not necessary. The staff there are being paid. :))

I respectfully disagree here.

We eat many of our dinners in the WJ and on the last night I walk in, and tip my server. We sit in the same area so they get to know you just like the MDR servers. The servers in the WJ at night are obviously not in the MDR so I'm sure a tip for them is greatly appreciated as they are the folks that serve you at night and probably a morning or luch shift-pending on what that shift be!

Hey Rhonda:

You think they can get me that delish chocolate mud pie from Chops with a separate bowl of fresh whipped cream???? OMG = its so good!!!!

definitely ask....

Oh great. Two more things to add to my list!! We have reservations at both places, and I'll have to get both of those! (I'll grab a couple to go for you too! lol)

Don't know if anyone asked/addressed this, but do they still have cold soups at dinner in the Windjammer on Liberty? We went on the Oasis in May and not one night did they offer cold soups in the Windjammer like they did on our previous Liberty cruises.

Also, please remember to pay your tips as you would were you dining in the Dining Room. Some passengers may not realize that the MDR staff also rotates to work in other venues - Windjammer included.

I second this but, we always prepay our tips, so we make it a point to tip the folks so deserving ... ;)

i was on the liberty in may, and they had escargot in the WJ!

You are now my hero... :cool:

Lobster I can get that at home (much better too...) but snails swimming in garlic butter, in the WJ!!! No need to call rs now... :p

And I am holding you personally responsible if it is not...:eek:

We eat many of our dinners in the WJ and on the last night I walk in, and tip my server. We sit in the same area so they get to know you just like the MDR servers....

Are you saying you do not pay the suggested tips per the guidelines? Nothing to the waiter, assistant waiter, and head waiter? Only WJ staff?

On our back to back on the Navigator, our Assistant Waiter from the first week was working in the Windjammer on the second week as part of crew rotation. One night my daughter wasn't feeling up to the MDR so I took her to the Wndjammer. Our waiter made a beeline for us, took us to a great table and looked after us all evening. He even went into Chops and briught us desert and a plate of chocolate covered strawberies and handmade chocolates. It was a really nice evening

Are you saying you do not pay the suggested tips per the guidelines? Nothing to the waiter, assistant waiter, and head waiter? Only WJ staff?

nope.

I tip where I eat though so it gets spread around. :)

As I understand it, when you choose to do it that way, it "messes" with RCCL's system. The prepaid/suggested gratuities do get spread around. It gets split among all the servers--whether they are working in the MDR or Windjammer.

So, if you just tip the Windjammer server alone, then the dining room servers do not make as much money during that cruise. That's not fair to them. It's not their fault that you decided to not go to the MDR, and your chairs sit empty the entire cruise.

If we just pay the suggested gratuities, the way RCCL has it set up, then everyone will still get paid their share. If you decide to tip a little extra cash, when you're in the Windjammer, that's nice too. But not expected. :)

So, if you just tip the Windjammer server alone, then the dining room servers do not make as much money during that cruise. That's not fair to them. It's not their fault that you decided to not go to the MDR, and your chairs sit empty the entire cruise.

It's not fair to me IMHO that Royal is expecting me to eat in the MDR every night when there are so many other venues available to me to have my dinner.

I'll tip my specialty dinner servers, I'll tip the WJ at night and cover those meals and also include them in any lunch or morning meals-although those are few a far between. I'll tip my room service employee's. I will not give the MDR servers all the tips. I have no problem bringing cash for tips. My chairs would not sit empty the entire cruise as I would release them. I will however, tip the MDR servers for meals I had there and cover them with extra for any afternoon or morning meals had at the buffet. By the end of the cruise-I have gone way over the reccommended amount but just spread it around a bit.

To each his own and quite possibly-folks that don't give all to the MDR could actually make the system work possibly.:confused: Who realy knows. As long as you tip those who served you. That to me is what is most important.!!!

It's not fair to me IMHO that Royal is expecting me to eat in the MDR every night when there are so many other venues available to me to have my dinner.

I'll tip my specialty dinner servers, I'll tip the WJ at night and cover those meals and also include them in any lunch or morning meals-although those are few a far between. I'll tip my room service employee's. I will not give the MDR servers all the tips. I have no problem bringing cash for tips. My chairs would not sit empty the entire cruise as I would release them. I will however, tip the MDR servers for meals I had there and cover them with extra for any afternoon or morning meals had at the buffet. By the end of the cruise-I have gone way over the reccommended amount but just spread it around a bit.

To each his own and quite possibly-folks that don't give all to the MDR could actually make the system work possibly.:confused: Who realy knows. As long as you tip those who served you. That to me is what is most important.!!!

I'm glad you tip over and above the suggested amount.

BUT HERE'S THE PROBLEM... a percentage of folks eat in the WJ simply to avoid paying tips. Some will avoid them altogether and others will throw a dollar or two on the table and walk away with a satisfied look.

What about those who have served them at breakfast and lunch? As we say in New York fuggetaboutit. No tips for them.

Thus the problem.

I understand your point and RCCL needs to set up a system that is fair to the wait staff and fair to the cruiser. And yes, it is unfair to those of us who pay the regular tips but ultimately are subsidizing those who do not tip or undertip!

What you're saying makes complete sense. My worry is that the MDR servers will not make their expected amount. RCCL does not expect us to eat in the MDR every night, but they do have the system in place to assure that everyone makes their tips. I think there are people that think, just because they are not eating in the MDR, that they do not need to tip at all. Obviously you're not one of those people. :)

But, we have kind of strayed away from the OPs original question. Sorry Stephanie. :D

But, we have kind of strayed away from the OPs original question.

We had a table for nine on our last cruise, and the waiter was quite visibly unhappy that most nights there were 3-5 of us, often different people each night. I think only one night had all of us show up. By the 5th night, he actually pulled out a paper and took roll to see who was missing! (did he track them down??)

We avoided the Windjammer for dinner because lunch was such a hassle...husband called it a polite game of bumper cars...but you've talked me into trying it for dinner next time!

I understand your point and RCCL needs to set up a system that is fair to the wait staff and fair to the cruiser. And yes, it is unfair to those of us who pay the regular tips but ultimately are subsidizing those who do not tip or undertip!
+1

The current system is both stupid and unfair. It needs to go.

Archived