Is a balcony worth it?

ashley0826

So I want a balcony for the simple fact that on our last cruise we had an interior room which i had no problem with only thing is the hubby and i had our 18 mo old and nap time simply wasn't fun. We would take turns sitting in the room with him while he napped and in the evenings when he slept. I am just thinking that with a balcony the husband and I would be able to spend a bit more time together. Problem is I just can't decide if it's worth almost $400 more on a 4 night cruise (we are looking at doing interior). However our last was with Royal Caribbean so he there were no activities for him in his age group but on carnival this time he will so we could still have a bit of alone time so I don't know if it is really worth it or not. Sorry for my ramblings but I guess for those with younger children is the balcony really worth it?

Yes...especially with a napping/early to bed child...it is TOTALLY worth it. It gives you someplace "to be" when your child is down for the night, without having to sit in a darkened room. now, whether that will fit your pocketbook, only you can say. I'd get the balcony.

Y.E.S.

Not only is it more space for you and your LO to move around during awake times, it makes nap time/early bedtime enjoyable, vacation time for you and your husband, not a punishment in a dark room!

After a couple of oceanview cruises we sprung for a balcony. Yes it comes with an additional price tag but if you can afford it I would suggest you give it a try.

There is nothing like an early room service breakfast, sunset or a late night cocktail on the balcony.

Worth it is a matter of value and what else you give up. If the 400 dollars doesn't change other things you do in life than of course worth it. If it causes you to skimp on an excursion or other thing, of course not :D

Personally, yes, I think it's worth it. Sitting in a dark, silent room while a baby sleeps sounds BORING. With a balcony, at least you can talk, watch a movie (portable dvd player or laptop), and enjoy the weather. :)

I would really recommend getting the balcony. I know some people say you will never be in your cabin. But it's my vacation and I really enjoy my cabin. I especially enjoy it at the sailaways. In May my sister and I sat on our balcony and watched the Statue of Liberty as we sailed by her on the start of our 9 day Canada / New England cruise. We even sleep with the balcony doors open, it is a very relaxing sound. I especially enjoyed it in Alaska. I didn't have to fight people for railing space in order to see the glaciers. I don't think you will be sorry. Kathy :)

I would really recommend getting the balcony. I know some people say you will never be in your cabin. But it's my vacation and I really enjoy my cabin. I especially enjoy it at the sailaways. In May my sister and I sat on our balcony and watched the Statue of Liberty as we sailed by her on the start of our 9 day Canada / New England cruise. We even sleep with the balcony doors open, it is a very relaxing sound. I especially enjoyed it in Alaska. I didn't have to fight people for railing space in order to see the glaciers. I don't think you will be sorry. Kathy :)

You do realize that by sleeping with your balcony door open, you could be affecting the comfort of your neighbors that may wish to keep the AC on?

You do realize that by sleeping with your balcony door open, you could be affecting the comfort of your neighbors that may wish to keep the AC on?

My balcony door affects the neighbour's a/c?!?! I've never heard that one...I know my own a/c won't work when the door is open...but next door??? For real?

As long as booking the balcony isn't going to put you in the poor house, book the balcony. It's worth it for naps and when the kids go to bed in the evenings, but also to run out the door in the morning with your pj's on as you pull into port. Absolutely priceless!

Worth it is a matter of value and what else you give up. If the 400 dollars doesn't change other things you do in life than of course worth it. If it causes you to skimp on an excursion or other thing, of course not :D

I couldn't agree more. It also depends upon your preferences. We chose to save the money and book an inside because the money difference would have meant skimping on a lot of other things and DS is so active that honestly we usually end up sleeping most of the time he sleeps. Also neither of us minds having some quiet down time reading a book (with a book light) while DS sleeps if the other parent wants to leave the room for a while. A balcony is nice, but I would cruise with or without one.

IMO, On a 4 night no. That $400 more than covers your tips and expenses. But that is me. I look at it this way. If you paid $800 for the inside by not upgrading that's 1/2 of your next cruise.

And this is why I'm having a hard time justifying it. If it were a 7 nighter I'm sure i would. But we would love to go on another small one this coming summer. So I'm thinking we will go interior...would love a window but I am terrified of being on decks 1 and 2...don't know why just the idea petrifies me. And see how it goes. He will be almost 3 as opposed to 18 months last time. Either way I know we ill have fun!

Definately worth it if you can afford the upgrade for a balcony! My child doesn't fall asleep unless it is dark and perfectly quiet. That makes for very very boring bedtimes and naptimes. Once she's asleep, it isn't so bad as I can read or watch TV but those times when she can't get to sleep after an exciting day are very stressful for me while I sit in the dark...

For our upcoming cruise, we booked connecting insides with my mom. I'm looking forward to having "someplace to go" while my daughter gets to sleep at night without having to pay for the veranda, best of both worlds!

we've only done balconies with our dd and we have enjoyed being out there in the evening. I'm one that can sit on the balcony and watch the clouds and see drift by FORVER! having said that, once our dd falls asleep, she does not require complete dark or quiet to remain sleeping. So we'd just wait and then turn on the lights and move around as we wished.

every child will be different.

• 1 month later...

With a young kid in tow, that talk of getting a balcony is strongly supported. I doubt the money will ever be there for one, but if the wife and I ever get a chance we'd give it a shot (we also fear not using it enough). The dilemma with a child and a small room is felt at times with us. After dinner there is a bit of free time before the homework bag comes out to keep up the studies and then bedtime ( 7 year old with a 8 o'clock bedtime). T.V would keep her up so I am one of those who live by the booklight. I will say the pitch darkness of an interior room helps alot! Plus I always take 3 books for a 7 day cruise.

I agree that a balcony room is well worth the extra $$$. It is a great place to escape when your child is napping or when they go to bed early. We enjoy getting up early, enjoying our morning coffee or tea or even spending happy hour while you are getting ready for dinner. It's a great place to be when you sailaway from each island. I agree that it is priceless time that you can spend with your spouse or even as a family.

Life is short so why not enjoy it!

We booked a balcony for our cruise last year, when our daughter was 15 months old and we booked a large balcony for our upcoming cruise on the Epic. We purchased a small blow up pool for our daughter and filled it with a little water, the enjoyment she had was worth the extra money. We will be packing up this little pool again, and I am sure she will love it all over again.

• 1 month later...

This thread is from October 2011 so you have probably already booked!

But I wanted to add in case someone else is reading, depending on what ship you are on, you can ask to see if they have a LARGE oceanview stateroom (without a balcony). It may only be the Freedom Class ships on RC ---I'm not sure, but always good to ask.

We are cruising in Feb 2012 on the Liberty of the Seas with an 18 month old, and I really wanted a balcony. We have had them in the past, but traveling without a baby. My husband was freaked out that somehow he would climb on a lounger or chair or the table, and literally go overboard. I even promised never go to out on the balcony, but if we didn't get a balcony room, we wouldn't have the space needed for a pack n' play, etc...

I then found out about the LARGE oceanview staterooms with no balcony. These are 300 sq. ft! (Larger than balcony rooms at 162 to 184 sq. ft)

AND they are a bit cheaper (in our case for our cruise, it was $75 per person cheaper) than the balcony rooms.

So, while I would LOVE to have a balcony this trip, we compromised to keep my husband's fears with our baby in check, AND I'm super thrilled to have the extra space and sanity!

All the best to you!

We just got back from a cruise and we went the cheap route with an inside cabin. Even without a kid, on Oasis when we had a balcony we barely used it. We weren't able to do late night activities, but truthfully we wouldn't have been able to do them with a balcony. One big caveat is that my son doesn't take naps. If your child still takes naps, then that opens up a whole other can of worms. At night, we kept our son up until 10:30-11pm, and then we all went to sleep. He normally needs 9-10 hours sleep, and we were able to catch up on sleep.

It's worth it! Wish I could say the balcony was romantic, but as it turned out, I used our balcony for some alone time while my DS and my DH went to bed early. I am a SAHM, and I never get alone time, so this was amazing. I opened a bottle of wine and sat out there in the warm breeze looking at the stars.

Archived