RCCL regular tries Princess

Flatiron

See these stats:

Yes, that does make it fact. These stats that Big Booper posted are beyond subjectiveness. These numbers are what they are and when a ship is significantly smaller than another, yet holds just about as many people, the only physical result could be more crowding. So yes, that absolutely does make it fact.

And as far as your question about people saying Voyager Class is crowded, that may very well be. But facts still prove CB is even more crowded.

Significantly smaller? I don’t think so. If you want to use facts regarding the crowding situation, the proper one to evaluate is the passenger space ratio. And yes the super grand class ships do have a lower number, but I find the CB to be properly designed in how the space is utilized. Some ships can be poorly designed in some areas, in this instance, those PSR numbers sought of lose their value. So going by PSR stats that are facts, the Voyager class ships have a higher number so shouldn’t the physical result mean way less crowding problems? Yet people complain here about crowds on those ships as well. The only explanation to that is the feel of crowding is indeed subjective, in fact you said it yourself in a prior post.

My experience on the CB (different itinerary) had no major crowding issues other than the usual which were minor here and there. I’m simply posting a different opinion from experience not from what I heard from my cousin’s neighbors clients or some numbers written in stone.

Different classes of ships can lead to different crowding comparisons...

We did not notice crowding particularly, on any of our cruises.

BUT we don't typically hit shows, etc. at the same time as many; I did avoid the elevator after shows, and instead chose the stairs. Otherwise, again, not a big crowd issue.

As far as food goes, we were pleasantly surprised to feel that the food in MDR on RCCL to be a small step above Princess MDR. Signifigant? No...but noticeable nonetheless.

I LOVE that there are several mid-range lines to please us all. For me, it is ALL about price...I am confident I could have a great cruise at nearly any price.:)

Which is one of the perks of cruising aboard a Grand or Gem class ship... just move to one of the other three pools where MUTS is not?

And Flatiron, I wasn't singling you out in anyway, so I hope you didn't take it as such. My post was more general in nature and not intended for any one single poster.

My solution - move to ships that don't have MUTS:D.

I've asked clients who are Princess cruisers about this...........and they all say it is hard to find lounges at the pools that don't have MUTS. Lots of escapees. They are all over 55.

Whenever we dock near a Princess or Carnival ship we always walk over to see how loud the infernal thing is. And it is.

If we book an RCI ship that has been retrofitted with MUTS, our butts will be glued to the Solarium or the H20 pool.

I really enjoyed reading this thread as I am a regular Princess cruiser who is about to embark on the Allure in 23 days time. :)

It's all about itinerary and prices for me, but any cruise I go on I have a great time. It's what you make of it!

This trip it's all about the ship for me, and I will reserve my opinions about the rest (food, wow factor, crowds) until I get back! No two cruises will ever be the same and especially from different perspectives of people, even on the SAME cruise. That's why it's called an opinion.

I will say NCL sucks (yes i said it!) and I will never sail with them again but the rest of the cruiselines I'm open to....

Happy Friday everyone :)

Significantly smaller? I don’t think so.

25,000 GRT is significant when the difference in passsenegr load is only 14.

My experience on the CB (different itinerary) had no major crowding issues other than the usual which were minor here and there. I’m simply posting a different opinion from experience not from what I heard from my cousin’s neighbors clients or some numbers written in stone

I have only sailed the CB once, but I have been sailing Princess for many years. I do love the cruise line, but CB is one of their most crowded ships. And I'll say it again - it's a fact.

love the line "I will say NCL sucks (yes i said it!) and I will never sail with them again but the rest of the cruiselines I'm open to.... "

have taken 13 ncl cruises , loved the Norway, but will never sail with them again, for so many reasons

my wife and i were on Emerald Princess after 7 rccl cruises and here's what we found:

CONs

1. ship way more crowded then EOS

2. dining rooms have no windows

3. crazy ship layout where you have to go up one floor to get across the ship - so you can only go from one side of the ship to the other on certain floors

4. buffet was crazy -- the way you get funneled in the tight spaces was nuts

5. just overall more cramped than rccl

6. couldn't see one show - the theater is the size of my basement - no joke 4 princess theaters could fit in one rccl theater

PROs

1. $$$$$$$$ much much cheaper (we only go prime time - spring break etc)

2. food was a tad better

3. the sanctuary - we didn't mind paying for a private secluded area that was ours for the entire cruise

4 higher class of passenger - rccl lately tends to have passengers that don't respect rules such as dress code - etc why have a formal night if you allow passengers in without a tie and jacket?

Everything else was pretty much the same -

overall I don't think we would go back to princess unless rccl really did us wrong -

The Grand Princess, which we have been on, is a better design with not such a high crowd factor. The CB and it's 3 sisters are essentially the Grand Princess with another full passenger deck and not one more inch of common area. This philosophy came about after Carnival scarfed up Princess (and HAL).

That's good to know. I had heard about crowding from more people than just on this forum. I'm glad to hear the Grand isn't so bad. I'd hate for my first Princess experience to be 14 days of crowding issues.

my wife and i were on Emerald Princess after 7 rccl cruises and here's what we found:

CONs

3. crazy ship layout where you have to go up one floor to get across the ship - so you can only go from one side of the ship to the other on certain floors

6. couldn't see one show - the theater is the size of my basement - no joke 4 princess theaters could fit in one rccl theater

PROs

2. food was a tad better

3. the sanctuary - we didn't mind paying for a private secluded area that was ours for the entire cruise

4 higher class of passenger - rccl lately tends to have passengers that don't respect rules such as dress code - etc why have a formal night if you allow passengers in without a tie and jacket?

overall I don't think we would go back to princess unless rccl really did us wrong -

I have sailed on the Emerald and Crown Princess, and I take issue with points 2 and 4. The main dining rooms DO have windows! I agree that the theaters are smaller on Princess than on RCI - but they're not 1/4 the size! To compensate, several of the shows were offered a 2nd night on my Princess cruises.

Regarding point 3 about decks not going all the way through on Princess - RCI's Voyager class ships don't go all the way through on deck 3.

Significantly smaller? I don’t think so. If you want to use facts regarding the crowding situation, the proper one to evaluate is the passenger space ratio. And yes the super grand class ships do have a lower number, but I find the CB to be properly designed in how the space is utilized. Some ships can be poorly designed in some areas, in this instance, those PSR numbers sought of lose their value. So going by PSR stats that are facts, the Voyager class ships have a higher number so shouldn’t the physical result mean way less crowding problems? Yet people complain here about crowds on those ships as well. The only explanation to that is the feel of crowding is indeed subjective, in fact you said it yourself in a prior post.

My experience on the CB (different itinerary) had no major crowding issues other than the usual which were minor here and there. I’m simply posting a different opinion from experience not from what I heard from my cousin’s neighbors clients or some numbers written in stone.

I see very few complaints on this board about crowding on the Voyager class and after have cruised four times on a Voyager class I have never noticed crowding issues. RCI is the master of ship design.

I have only sailed the CB once, but I have been sailing Princess for many years. I do love the cruise line, but CB is one of their most crowded ships. And I'll say it again - it's a fact.

If you like to think your opinion is a fact, that's fine too.

CONs

PROs

2. food was a tad better

Thanks for the chuckle on cons #2 & 6.

I see very few complaints on this board about crowding on the Voyager class and after have cruised four times on a Voyager class I have never noticed crowding issues. RCI is the master of ship design.
Really? Over the years here I have seen them, and also read them over on the Princess & Celebrity boards here and there. I do agree with you though, I also do not find the Voyager class ships to have crowding issues other than the usual areas at specific times.

Archived