What makes a great cruise experience?

Hi there,

I am a researcher in Australia and am interested in understanding a little bit about your presonal cruising experiences.

Can anyone share their feelings and thoughts on what makes a good port and port city? To be specific, once you step off the boat for a day trip in a particular, what are you looking for at the port? It could be anything, maybe really good visitor information on where to go and what to do, shops, helpful staff, anything!

Does anyone have examples of ports that are catering to cruise passengers well?

Thanks,

M

Thanks theid. What is it about the ports in particular that you enjoy? Is there any that stand out as particularly memorable? Why was that?
lets see....

just the fact that it is some where new to visit.

[/font

My vote would go to all the NZ ports. The local tourism authorities have free buses to take you into the centre...plenty of tours at really good prices...info on the port at the dock as well as welcomes etc. They do it all really really well.

The broader question what makes a good cruise...honestly for me it is the roll call...all my most memorable cruises have been enhanced through the company and great information, tours etc. organised by other members of the roll call...such good fun.

One of our best cruise days ever was in Hobart in 2007. We woke up early to the sound of angels singing - thought maybe we had died and gone to heaven, but it was a children's choir serenading us as we docked. They sang their little hearts out for about half an hour. We then had a lovely day touring, plus walking around near the port area. When it was time to leave, the Hobart Police Bagpipe band serenaded us. When they played "Waltzing Mathilda", everyone on the ship sang along and even the security people on the dock were singing and dancing. When the ship's horn blew as we pulled away from the dock, thousands of birds were startled and flew off into the perfect sunset. Just a magical time that we'lll never forget. Luckily I caught the whole departure on video and we replay it quite often!

At the opposite extreme - we really enjoyed our last visit to Acapulco because we didn't get off the ship at all! We had the pool and all the ships facilities almost to ourselves and the city is one that looks much better from a distance!

To answer your question on what makes a good port (in order of importance in my opinion) -

1. A welcome on the dock by a band & dancers makes an enormous impact. Everyone gets off the ship with a smile on their faces. Good examples are Apia (dancers), Suva (sometimes the Police Band).

2. Welcome by tourism volunteers. The best example I can think of is Burnie in Tasmania where the Mayor turns up in full regalia and he and his wife welcome everyone as they get off the ship. Then the free shuttle bus takes passengers to town where smiling volunteers greet passengers and give them tourist info. There is not a great lot to see in town but everyone is happy.

3. Tours available on the dock or in the cruise terminal. Examples are Noumea, Suva, Papeete, Vava'u. Even Melbourne isn't too bad - there is a desk giving info on local transport options and prices.

4. Farewell by band is good, but I think the welcome is more effective. Examples are Suva (usually Police Band who are incredible), Napier NZ. I still remember a farewell from a Japanese port over 20 years ago.

Unfortunately I don't think my home city of Brisbane does any of the above.

In Australia, Melbourne ticks all the boxes as a great port to visit independently.

It has -

the best detailed tourist information

greeters to show visitors the city

free tram, which circles the inner city

free bus tours, which cover a wider area of the city

and good public transport.

Memorable ports are any which play moving music/put on entertainment on the ship's arrival and departure.

And, as Aus Traveller says, happy local people and volunteers pleased to see the ship's passengers.

I agree that the NZ ports do it well for reasons others have given, information, welcoming and something unique to the port - eg in Napier the vintage cars and theme dressed volunteers and in Dunedin at Sailaway a pipe band to send us off. NZ ports are also well serviced by efficient and frequent shuttle buses that are necessary in most ports. The buses include a reasonable number with facilities for wheelchair users and the drivers are experienced and willing to provide assistance. Where the ship docks close to the city centre (rare these days due to the size of cruise ships) a well set up Passenger Terminal could be a real pleasure. Not fond of the Auckland terminal - a bit lacking in character and rather institutional. Enjoyed Papaete with the cool verandahs and ponds and Noumea has a familiar feel and a good welcome desk. It's a difficult design task - one facility to process lots of people quickly for turn around embarkation and disembarkation and also be welcoming for day trippers.

Colleen

The appearance (tidiness, layout) of the wharf and proximity to the city...the closer to each other the better. Auckland stands out here and Sydney with the Opera House and Darling Harbour also in contention.Ushuaia in Argentina has some lovely shops along the wharf before you get to the port gates. Singapore too has a large mall(Harbourfront) adjoining the inner city wharfs....great for last minute shopping.

I also like the island welcome group and the bagpipers in NZ etc.

Just thought of something else that others might relate to...

Sailaway....there is no way lining up like cattle at an airport can compare the leaving on a cruise...sure is busy..but your bags are whisked away then a couple of minutes worth of paperwork and you're away. The excitement of finding your cabin then off to the upper decks to start exploring. Leaving Sydney sailing down the harbour on a golden afternoon, foofy drink in hand music playing and everyone smiling their face off....just wonderful makes me tingle everytime. In my experience of more than 40 years of travelling there is nothing else like it.

Hi

Lots of tourist info available as soon as you step off the ship - free maps, hop on hop off bus schedules, gallery and museum info, places of interest, etc.

Either a free shuttle or reasonably priced local transport. Australia could have a $10 or less Visitors Pass for public transport in each state.

Container terminals can be quite offputting. I realize that they are the only facilities that the large boats can access. Consider that setting to the magnificent backdrop of the Sydney Harbour bridge with bridge climbers waving and calling to you and on the other side the Opera House and magnificent harbour. Makes you proud to be an Australian.

Welcoming/farewelling group. Something that you always remember -the beautiful Balinese girls, the school band in Nagasaki.

Ports where you can just walk off and wander around the local area where there are coffee shops and a sprinkling of variety shops. Not everybody wants to explore a port in depth.

It's the visual impression of a port of call that you remember and whether the locals were welcoming.

Cheers Rose

On our Alaska cruise we loved the welcome from a little town in Oregon called Astoria. A lot of locals had volunteered to be cruise ambassadors & were recognisable by their jackets. They were at the dockside with maps & brochures & were on every second street corner in the town, at the ready to answer any questions or point you towards tours, attractions, restaurants or the loo. The town had put on free shuttle buses from the ship to all the local attractions eg lookouts. We were warmly welcomed by everyone. It was great.

Archived