Do the partitions between balconies open?

suzyed

We always open the doors between balconies. It makes the trip with family or friends even more fun. BUT, you may want to check your location. There are a few places where the steel super-stucture of ship makes connecting those two specific balconies impossible. It only affects a few balconies per deck, so maybe you still have time to move your staterooms a bit if it affects you. Most people don't open the doors between balconies so they wouldn't notice the issue. Also, a little tip. Take a few bungee cords along. They will help you secure the door and stop it from swinging and banging in the wind or choppy seas.

Also, a little tip. Take a few bungee cords along. They will help you secure the door and stop it from swinging and banging in the wind or choppy seas.

Some of the ships have a hook and eye for the connecting doors...........

unfortunately I can't remember which ones so we always take a bungee, very good advise from BigGuy.

Just off the Emerald transatlantic cruise. Our friends were in the next balcony to us and we tried to open the connecting doors but were not able to do so. There was no hook on the side where their balcony was. Never thought to ask the cabin steward though. We were always peeking around the corner to talk to each other, would have been nice to sit and chat with the door open.

If you do have a balcony, I would highly suggest bringing a bungee cord with you. We never had a balcony before so didn't know what to expect. Let me tell you, the next time we book a balcony, we will have a bungee cord with us. We had a very bad storm on one of our sea days, 35' swells, 70 mph winds due to aftermath of Katia. Our balcony slider would unlock itself and slide and bang all night long. We also heard the adjoining balcony sliders doing the same thing as ours. My husband was up and down all night long closing and locking the slider and as soon as he got back in bed, voila, it would open again. It got to be comical after a while. We didn't sleep that night due to the constant banging of the slider. Had we brought a bungee cord, we would have solved the problem. This may not happen on your cruise but I would say be prepared, no harm done packing that bugee cord.

Enjoy your cruise.

Mary

We always open the doors between balconies. It makes the trip with family or friends even more fun. BUT, you may want to check your location. There are a few places where the steel super-stucture of ship makes connecting those two specific balconies impossible. It only affects a few balconies per deck, so maybe you still have time to move your staterooms a bit if it affects you. Most people don't open the doors between balconies so they wouldn't notice the issue. Also, a little tip. Take a few bungee cords along. They will help you secure the door and stop it from swinging and banging in the wind or choppy seas.

Thanks for the info!

How would I be able to figure out ahead of time if the steel superstructure is near our balconies?

Bungee cords always go with us! ;)

Thanks for the info!

How would I be able to figure out ahead of time if the steel superstructure is near our balconies?

Bungee cords always go with us! ;)

This may have been the case with older Princess ships, but not with the Coral/Island and the Grand Class ships. We had a cabin on the Sapphire in one of the bulkhead locations and there was a door in our partition. I hve seen photos with all of the partitions open and you could see from one end of the ship to the other through the balcony doors. The door is not very wide and is next to the cabin wall. The Sapphire is one of the ships with the hook and eye for holding the partition door open.

DSC02972.JPG

DSC02973.JPG

I do like the way that the partitions open on Princess ships. We were docked across from a Carnival ship in Grand Turk and noticed that their partitions opened much wider, but when open, they covered half the balcony railing! :eek:

I do like the way that the partitions open on Princess ships. We were docked across from a Carnival ship in Grand Turk and noticed that their partitions opened much wider, but when open, they covered half the balcony railing! :eek:

NCL Jewel opened pretty much all the way but the door went towards the ship, we did have to bungee it to keep it open and secure. Created a VERY spacious balcony, loved it !

Thanks for the info!

Just have your TA call Princess. They'll know which ships have the issue and what staterooms are affected. If you booked through the cruise line, just call Princess directly.

I'll save you a call to Princess, where you'll probably get wrong info anyway. The balcony bulkheads that don't open are firewalls, so they're where you see the little doorway symbol in the hallway, which marks a fire door. This also is where the cabin numbering changes by 100s (e.g., from C534 to C602 and then from C644 to C702). So as long as you don't see a little doorway between your two cabins and your cabin numbers both begin with the same number, your balconies are adjoining.

Hope this helps.

I'll save you a call to Princess, where you'll probably get wrong info anyway. The balcony bulkheads that don't open are firewalls, so they're where you see the little doorway symbol in the hallway, which marks a fire door. This also is where the cabin numbering changes by 100s (e.g., from C534 to C602 and then from C644 to C702). So as long as you don't see a little doorway between your two cabins and your cabin numbers both begin with the same number, your balconies are adjoining.

Hope this helps.

rdsqrl, I am sorry to correct you but as I stated in post #7 above, that information is incorrect. We were in cabin D400 on the Sapphire and the photo I posted above was of the balcony doorway between our cabin, D400, and cabin D330 which is on the other side of a fire door. This potentially was/is true of older Princess ships and perhaps the Ocean, Pacific and Sun class ships but not on the newer Princess ships.

Hope this helps.

Yes, it does help! Thank you very much!!

NCL Jewel opened pretty much all the way but the door went towards the ship, we did have to bungee it to keep it open and secure. Created a VERY spacious balcony, loved it !

That's the way it was when we were on the Carnival Glory! We had three balconies in a row open...talk about big!! :D

Archived