Crying kids on Disney Ships?

MissTraveler08

Hi :) I'm trying to convince my family to go on a Disney Cruise. We've been to Disney World MANY times in the last 5 years and a Disney Cruise is something I've always wanted to try since I was little. The rest of my family says "no, we're too old for it and we'll be surrounded by screaming kids". I personally disagree. hehe. but as far as our family goes it would be

-my grandparents

-2 cousins (age 11 & 13)

-me - 15, sis - 13

bottom line - Are you really surrounded by screaming kids the whole time or is it a mix of all ages and family appropriate?!

We've gone on Royal Caribbean (both my family & cousins, aunt and uncle)

my two parents and aunt & uncle. Thank you for your consideration and answers!! :) VERY appreciated!!

Hi :) I'm trying to convince my family to go on a Disney Cruise. We've been to Disney World MANY times in the last 5 years and a Disney Cruise is something I've always wanted to try since I was little. The rest of my family says "no, we're too old for it and we'll be surrounded by screaming kids". I personally disagree. hehe. but as far as our family goes it would be

-my grandparents

-2 cousins (age 11 & 13)

-me - 15, sis - 13

bottom line - Are you really surrounded by screaming kids the whole time or is it a mix of all ages and family appropriate?!

We've gone on Royal Caribbean (both my family & cousins, aunt and uncle)

my two parents and aunt & uncle. Thank you for your consideration and answers!! :) VERY appreciated!!

There are kids on the Disney ships. However, we've only had a problem with an abundance of kids in the Walt Disney Theatre on the one cruise that was a kids sail free cruise. Not really a problem, just a lot of them.

Most of the time, they kid's activities keep them pretty much in thier areas and away from the adult areas (which Disney is good about keeping kid-free).

We've taken 4 DCL cruises, all of them with out kids (the younger variety). The last one we took our "kids" but they were 28, 24, 23.

:)

We would do another Disney cruise but for us the costs is steep,

We enjoy Freedom of the Seas, with all the activities on board, plus for the price get a suite, and the perks that come with it.

safe travels.

Sue and crew

You'll find the same amount of kids on DCL as you do on Royal Caribbean.

My experience is that the kids on DCL are kept more entertained and are less noticable than they were on RCI.

...I have to agree. Kids are mostly well behaved and as posted are so entertained they never seem bored or whiny at least that is what our daughter (11) says.In WDW I have seen many more "meltdowns" than on the ship. Hope you have a wonderful cruise.:)

Why would the kids be crying? They're on a Disney cruise! Seriously, I was on the Dream in Sept. and did not observe any problems of screaming kids. The passenger mix is families of all ages having a good time with lots of activity choices.

we sailed on Royal Caribbean half a dozen times pre-baby, and once on DCL post-baby. my vague impression is there may be more kids on the DCL cruise but few 'screaming kids'. One toddler at the next table had a tantrum several nights in the MDR but the only reason I noticed that is probably because they were next to us. It didn't detract from our dinners and never did we feel like we had to leave an area because of 'screaming kids'.

Our own toddler was so entertained she was actually behaving and sleeping better on the cruise compared to when she is at home! :D

I've been on 3 Disney cruises and screaming or unruly children have never been an issue. Taking the second seating at dinner I bet helps a little.

Ditto, times 2. We've been on 6, and I honestly cannot recall ANY occasions when we've been bothered by screaming/crying/melting-down kids.

I have found that when people say "I don't want to be surrounded by screaming kids" they either a) have a difficult time citing to a specific instance when they were literally surrounded by screaming kids (with dreadful birthday parties at Chucky Cheese aside) or b) hate kids.

If it's A, then they're hyperbole driven liars and if it's B then they're evil human beings.

Accordingly, the only cure for these nincompoops is to book a Disney Cruise and taunt them unmercifully on the way to port about how many "SCREAMING KIDS" there will be....my favorite is to pretend you're reading from this particular message board and read long trip reports that you've completely made up about kids swinging from chandeliers, throwing food in theaters, and having throw down, fist pounding tantrums in hallways and elevators.

I.e. force them to expect the worst.... then, if the cruise is full of screaming kids, you can say you warned them and if it's a pleasant surprise, you can take credit for planning a great vacation.

And I'M accused of being an old man grump.

Eh, I've had meals unmercifully interupted by screaming children where both parents and unfortunately management turned a deaf ear and blind eye.

A specific instance...

My husband and I were at Jiko for what we hoped would be a nice dinner. We were dining fairly early and the restaurant was fairly empty. There was a table nearby with a child in the 18 month old range. They arrived at about the same time as we did, with the parents ordering cocktails and slowly perusing the menu. After 45 minutes the child became antsy. The parents ignored it. After an hour, the child began to SCREAM loudly and repeatedly. The parents continued to ignore it. This literally went on for five minutes with management doing nothing. It became obvious that the parents were so self-absorbed that they weren't going to do a darn thing about it. Of course management at any Disney establishment is loathe to upset a patron and also ignored it.

We left without ordering dessert. We haven't been back. This was several years ago. We live locally and used to dine at Jiko half a dozen times a year. .

I had another time at Red Lobster where kids from a large group were running around, screaming, and throwing food. The last straw was when I got hit in the head by one of those cheese biscuits that ricocheted off a wall. I went and got a manager involved, but I shouldn't have had to. I never went back there, either. (Route 18 in East Brunswick, NJ. 2004-ish, and I'm back in that area half a dozen or more times a year, it's still off the list.)

I don't want to be surrounded by screaming kids. Fortunately the only time on DCL that I heard a lot of screaming was happy noises around the main pool area. I use the adult pool, so I only heard it as I was passing through. No biggie.

I have found that when people say "I don't want to be surrounded by screaming kids" they either a) have a difficult time citing to a specific instance when they were literally surrounded by screaming kids (with dreadful birthday parties at Chucky Cheese aside) or b) hate kids.

If it's A, then they're hyperbole driven liars and if it's B then they're evil human beings.

Accordingly, the only cure for these nincompoops is to book a Disney Cruise and taunt them unmercifully on the way to port about how many "SCREAMING KIDS" there will be....my favorite is to pretend you're reading from this particular message board and read long trip reports that you've completely made up about kids swinging from chandeliers, throwing food in theaters, and having throw down, fist pounding tantrums in hallways and elevators.

I.e. force them to expect the worst.... then, if the cruise is full of screaming kids, you can say you warned them and if it's a pleasant surprise, you can take credit for planning a great vacation.

And I'M accused of being an old man grump.

......great post!!!.....I find that hard to believe about grumpy.....

Eh, I've had meals unmercifully interupted by screaming children where both parents and unfortunately management turned a deaf ear and blind eye.

A specific instance...

My husband and I were at Jiko for what we hoped would be a nice dinner. We were dining fairly early and the restaurant was fairly empty. There was a table nearby with a child in the 18 month old range. They arrived at about the same time as we did, with the parents ordering cocktails and slowly perusing the menu. After 45 minutes the child became antsy. The parents ignored it. After an hour, the child began to SCREAM loudly and repeatedly. The parents continued to ignore it. This literally went on for five minutes with management doing nothing. It became obvious that the parents were so self-absorbed that they weren't going to do a darn thing about it. Of course management at any Disney establishment is loathe to upset a patron and also ignored it.

We left without ordering dessert. We haven't been back. This was several years ago. We live locally and used to dine at Jiko half a dozen times a year. .

I had another time at Red Lobster where kids from a large group were running around, screaming, and throwing food. The last straw was when I got hit in the head by one of those cheese biscuits that ricocheted off a wall. I went and got a manager involved, but I shouldn't have had to. I never went back there, either. (Route 18 in East Brunswick, NJ. 2004-ish, and I'm back in that area half a dozen or more times a year, it's still off the list.)

I don't want to be surrounded by screaming kids. Fortunately the only time on DCL that I heard a lot of screaming was happy noises around the main pool area. I use the adult pool, so I only heard it as I was passing through. No biggie.

Admit it. You hate children, don't you. :D

DW and I took our DGD on the Wonder. At some point they told us that kids were half of the passengers, but you would not have known it. As has been stated, most of the kids are in the kids' clubs most of the time. At one dinner, the other family we were with did not have their daughter, as she wanted to stay in the kids club through dinner.

The number of kids is certainly evident at the deck parties, but they are all partying and there was no screaming or crying that we ever saw. When they have the big character meets, there are tons of kids, but, again, we found them to be very well behaved though excited. Lots of kids around if you stop at Castaway Cay, but they are scattered all over the place.

We never heard any problems at mealtimes, and found the kids to be having such a good time that they weren't bothering anyone else.

We never heard any kids running up and down the passageways, etc.

Bottom line, you would have thought the number of kids was quite small, since you rarely saw many.

At the same time, Disney is unlike any other line. Most cruise lines are cruise companies that try to entertain their passengers. In Disney's case, they are an entertainment company that happens to own a few ships. The difference is noticeable. The entertainment is certainly directly somewhat towards kids in that the shows are kid-friendly, but they are certainly high quality and very professional, and everyone will enjoy them.

I think everyone, grandparents included will really enjoy a Disney cruise. How can you not enjoy seeing kids have such a good time. There are few "screaming kids" if any (we never saw or heard any), and if it is something you have wanted to do, I would go for it. It will be everything you dreamed it would be and more -- starting with the ship's whistle as you leave port as it plays the first seven notes of "When You Wish Upon a Star."

Years ago, when my buddy and his wife wree justing dating they went on the old "Big Red Boat" .

They enjoyed it, but said everytime you laid out by the pool you heard some parent "Tiffany stop splashing you brother" "Justin if you don't put your floaties on you can't go in the water...Justin....Justin then you can't go in the water."

Every meal in the dining room you heard " Samantha if you don't eat your meal you can't have your dessert" "Michael stop hitting your sister and eat your dinner NOW"

Of course looking back 20 some odd years later , The Big Red Boat wasn't the best choice for two twenty something wanting a quiet romantic getaway , but what did they know back then? *LOL*

Nope, but I do hate parents who allow their children to become disruptive in restaurants and don't even try to get them to settle down or remove them.

Reminds me of the time (long ago) at a large family gathering. The large group next to ours had many disruptive kids, my then 15 year old daughter, stood up, turned around and very boldly said, "Is there an adult in this group who can explain to the children sitting behind me that their behavior is unacceptable in a restaurant?" She was applauded by several other tables near this group.

Archived