Pancakes at Breakfast......

sail7seas

My favorite breakfast is a made to order omelet, raisin bun, a small dish of muesli and a glass each of fresh squeezed orange and of guava juice.

On our family cruise this summer my teen-aged grandson discovered guava juice and drank multiple glasses every morning. On the last morning he was disappointed to not find guava. He picked up grape juice (he thought) for himself and his sister. His parents enjoyed their expressions as they tasted prune juice for the first time.:eek:

Another Northerner who can't believe Aunt Jemima (syrup division) is still in business.

If you ever tasted real maple syrup even once, how could you use anything else?

Cracker Barrel Country Stores/Restaurants used to serve/sell 100% pure maple syrup in 1.5 ounce bottles. Their current offering is "100% Pure Natural Syrup": 55% maple syrup, 45% cane syrup. :eek:

I'm notorious among my friends for my recycled tiny bottle/jar collection. I have half a dozen of those Cracker Barrel bottles I stuck (uniquely appropriate verb) in my purse over the years.

If we decide to drive to Florida for Eurodam in January, maybe the luggage will include a Cracker Barrel bottle refilled with real syrup.

PS: Gotta try this. Thanks so much for posting it KK!

From the newer breakfast menu which appeared late summer/ early fall in 2010:

Japanese Breakfast - hot miso soup, steamed white rice, tamagoyaki and boiled salmon served with a cup of hot green tea.

Another Northerner who can't believe Aunt Jemima (syrup division) is still in business.

If you ever tasted real maple syrup even once, how could you use anything else?

Well ... to each their own preferences. :D

I grew up with it and its taste brings back warm memories.

Oh yes, that "regional chauvinism" was spoken with my tongue firmly in cheek.

If you want "real maple syrup", I would recommend that you bring your own with you! ;)

It takes a special type of crazy to salvage sticky, used syrup bottles, no matter how "cute" they are.

Much less to BYOB of smuggled, suspicious sugar product.

BUT.....I may look at that kind of crazy in the mirror each morning.

This will be my breakfast one morning of our 14 on Nieuw Amsterdam........ I shall have two pancakes, sugar free syrup, turkey bacon, a small bowl of berries and delicious coffee. You can't imagine how much I am looking forward to it.

Sail - I always ask the person behind the Lido counter if I could have the turkey bacon made right then, rather than take the pieces that they have kept warm in the serving tray underneath the counter. Most of the time those pieces are hard, overcooked, and break into little bits when you try to eat them.

Japanese food tends to be on the salty side, and miso soup is no exception(might as well call it "salt lick soup", lol)

I too agree the Miso soup is salty however the Japanese have less heart disease issues than individuals in the US. Not sure if bacon (1 med slice has approx 180mg of sodium 4.3g of fat) for breakfast is on the top of their list but I would bet not.

My thought - it's a cruise eat what you want and enjoy. In the words of Steve Jobs....."Your (Our) time is limited."

'Tis true about the Japanese having less heart problems.I've had Miso soup once, when I was younger and didn't care for it.

On the Eurodam that they had some interesting choices-a full British breakfast-oh man..would have loved to try that just once but my stomach isn't as cast iron as it used to be!

True. That's how some people just love head cheese. Most Americans get nauseated when I mention eating Marmite on toast. :D

Sail - I always ask the person behind the Lido counter if I could have the turkey bacon made right then' date=' rather than take the pieces that they have kept warm in the serving tray underneath the counter. Most of the time those pieces are hard, overcooked, and break into little bits when you try to eat them.[/quote']

I'm embarrassed to admit that's how I like my turkey bacon. :o

I never eat pork bacon but once in a while enjoy the crispy, breaks into bits turkey bacon. :D

Pancakes and Waffles are great , but I love French Toast.

You all ever want to flip the bird to your cardiologists and diabetes doctors and have a real treat .

Get nice thick bread . Dip it in egg with a little milk and vanilla. And then coat it with crushed Cap'n Crunch cereal and cook.

Out of this world :)

'Tis true about the Japanese having less heart problems.I've had Miso soup once, when I was younger and didn't care for it.

On the Eurodam that they had some interesting choices-a full British breakfast-oh man..would have loved to try that just once but my stomach isn't as cast iron as it used to be!

All HAL ships have the new breakfast menu in the dining room as well as in the Pinnacle or King's room for the Duluxe Suite Passengers.

On my recent Uniworld river cruise the buffet had two real pork bacon offerings every worning, soft or crispy. The crispy was perfect every time.

Just a guess but I suspect they feed a great many fewer guests each meal? That does make a big difference, if that is the case.

I'm only getting ready for my second HAL cruise, so I don't have much to offer, but I can say that I'm looking forward to another of those wonderful raison buns (or two or three or...) I've never considered pancakes to be such a no-no - especially if you're stingy with the syrup. Hey, everything in moderation is my rule of thumb! :D

This could be a fun thread when the other experienced ones chime in. Come on - tell us again about the chocolate croissants and eggs benedict! Then I'll make a list of all the things I MUST try next month!

ooooooo RAISON BUNS :mad: i guess I put up 10 lb in 10 days :mad: Good I am not cruising HAL this year LOL

The breakfast item I love, but which is on my own no-no list: croissants with dark chocolate. Just a tiny dab of that chocolate, but....oh!

And just think of all that butter used to make them flaky!

My dad - who never gains an ounce - always orders three of them.

Then slathers butter all over them.

Then, when he's finished, eats the rest of his breakfast.

Usually eggs Benedict. :eek:

And yes, his cholesterol blood test results are always excellent!

I know posters have claimed we can't gain weight just from reading this thread....but I think I gained a couple ounces each and every morning when I took a big, deep SNIIIFF of those chocolate croissants.

The breakfast item I love, but which is on my own no-no list: croissants with dark chocolate. Just a tiny dab of that chocolate, but....oh!

Normally I don't care for the chocolate croissants :eek:, but on the Prinsendam this year they were worth the fat, calories, and sugar. I saw that they were warmed, and that made all the difference. The chocolate inside was soft and a little gooey. Yummy.

I only had the one during the cruise, but it was soooo good. I may book the Prinsendam again just to have another!

For a few years we had a gentleman travel with us who was 93 on our last cruise and he ate everything in sight -- never gained a pound -- had no heart problems -- no problems at all -- didn't even take one pill!!

And DH would be sitting there taking 8 pills at breakfast, etc.

It's all in the genes...unfortunately I have the bad ones and dh has the good ones...LOL... or perhaps it's the other way around:D he is overweight, doesn't exercise but takes no meds at all and is a bit, a lot:) older :eek: but much healthier! And then there is me..taking my 6 pills at breakfast...allowed no grapefruit...low sodium...but I still manage to enjoy myself on a cruise..thank goodness they say yes to some red wine:):)

I've really been trying to make an effort to eat healthier-I think I mentioned fruit salad in an earlier post- HAL has a really good fruit salad as well as yogurt(plain and Greek(I've become a Greek yogurt fan as of late-yes, it's plain, but add fruit and it's good-and filling! )I've done that a few times in lieu of the usual stuff....even when what I really wanted was waffles with warm compote.

Archived