Tipping in French Polynesia...

TRauppius

Folks,

I have not been to FP before but am reading-up from various travel guides, official tourism websites, and tour operator visitor tips. The topic is whether tipping in FP (to say, tour guides, tour bus drivers, bellman, waiters, taxi drivers, beach/pool assistants, maids, et al) are truly expected (the norm), or not expected due to cultural hospitality beliefs.

Some guides say yes, some no, some maybe, based on situational considerations and the level of service delivered. And so I am left confused about what is the reasonable/proper thing to do. I don't want to stiff anyone if tipping is actually a normal expectation, nor do I want insult anyone by offering an unwanted tip.

I will appreciate it if some some seasoned travelers to FP, particularly any recent travelers) would share theie experiences and recommendations on the touchy subject; I am sure it will be of great interest to other CC readers.

Thanks,

Todd

• 3 months later...
Americans introduced tipping - very bad idea. Of course, they take tips now, who would refuse money? But it is not expected.

Yes, Americans imported their dreadful tipping culture to French Polynesia and to a lot of other countries as well. It is degrading to the tipper and to the tippee.

Polynesians consider it insulting to be offered money but, sadly, as Floridiana says, many Tahitians grudgingly accept tips, especially on Bora Bora. As for myself, I never tip in the South Pacific. I never tip in the USA either, for that matter, and don't care about the glares and sometimes verbal abuse I receive from hotel staff etc. We tend to pay people properly in Western Europe and FP is part of Western Europe as far as employment law is concerned, or so I am led to believe.

Fletcher,

In the US, tips are part of the salary structure. They are not included in the price just as the sales tax is not included. In Europe, both are calculated in the final price. Same thing in French Polynesia, everything is included in the final price.

Yes, Americans imported their dreadful tipping culture to French Polynesia and to a lot of other countries as well. It is degrading to the tipper and to the tippee.

LOL WUT?

Did you get beat up by an American? Perhaps one stole your spouse?? It would appear that a large amount of your posts on this site usually have some sort of jab towards the U.S. and Americans.

The act of tipping is the bestowing of a gift to show extra appreciation for exemplary service rendered. Nothing more nothing less.

Those who are stingy may not be able to grasp that simple concept and therefore may be more inclined in choosing to view the practice as dreadful and degrading.

The act of tipping is the bestowing of a gift to show extra appreciation for exemplary service rendered. Nothing more nothing less.

Mmm . . . so the guy who is paid to park your car or brings a bag up to your room or serves you a coffee is deserving of a gift for exemplary service rendered? Isn't he or she just doing their job? I don't mind the occasional gesture when somone does something really special . . . it's just the routine acceptance that everyone gets a tip for simply breathing. The US isn't quite as bad as somewhere like Egypt where I always remember seeing a sign at Cairo airport which said, "Please do not tip the X-Ray operator."

I might add to this subject of tipping . . . while tipping has largely died out in the UK hospitality industry it still persists in the private world. For instance, if I go to stay with chums, or if they come to stay with us, it is expected that you tip the butler and the valet or maid if you didn't bring your own with you. This even applies if you are honoured with an invitation to stay with a member of the Royal Family.

There's a big difference between that and giving a couple of bucks to the Polynesian boy who spreads a towel on your sun lounger at the Four Seasons Bora Bora.

;)Well, I am ñow back from my cruise and pre-cruise 4 night stay at the Intercontinental Tahiti and Hilton Moorea Lagoon and can now report that very little tipping was expected or accepted.

On my first tipping attempt with the bellman at the Intercontinental it was politely, but firmly, declined. So cautioned I then tried to gauge tour guide expectations, and to see what other guests were doing. Very few guides hinted. I only ended up offering a modest tip to defer the cost of water, juice, and flowers the guide was out-of-pocket for on one excursion.

On another outing I gave some US cash to a young guide who was going to vacation in Hawaii in a few months time. He accepted it as reciprocal hospitality gesture.

Just do what feels right.....the Tahitians are very hospitable and are not grubbing for tips..... enjoy.

Also, that 4% included in restaurant tabs is not tips for the staff, it is used to pay into a government payroll tax.

• 3 weeks later...
LOL WUT?

Did you get beat up by an American? Perhaps one stole your spouse?? It would appear that a large amount of your posts on this site usually have some sort of jab towards the U.S. and Americans.

Those who are stingy may not be able to grasp that simple concept and therefore may be more inclined in choosing to view the practice as dreadful and degrading.

Interesting, in 7 weeks in Western Europe no one rejected the tips we gave. To us it is just being polite. :)

In many European countries it is customary to round up the amount you pay, say to the next Euro. You would not be expected to tip 10 or even 20% though. I accept that tipping is part of the culture in some parts of the world and that it's necessary to allow some people to make a living.

However, why import your customs to another country i.e. French Polynesia and tip where this is not expected? It's an unnecessary cost in an already very expensive part of the world. The most ridiculous post I have ever read on a forum was from an American, who was asking if and how much to tip a helicopter pilot!

People ought to read up on the customs of individual countries before deciding if and how much to tip.

In Australia the prices are extremely high and so are their salaries. We just came back and my son is attending school there. The tip is not expected and pushes an already ridiculous amount to over the top. Do not bring your customs in any area to other cultures it is not appreciated.

Archived