QM2 refit has already started

southwestie

Before:

2966830107_fbec8a5a1d.jpg

After:

Golden-Lion.jpg

Looks like the ceiling is unchanged - the main difference the addition of the banquets down the side....and replacing the Queen's bust with the band stand....

Well you're right, the ceiling is unchanged. I still like the new colour scheme but I don't appreciate the removal of the bust of the Queen. I hope it goes somewhere else in the pub.

Thank you! And given the ethanol is included in the fare Seabourn may well work out cheaper than Cunard!

Someone on the Seabourn board asked if I'd left Cunard....I replied that I rather thought Cunard had left me.....

I think after sailing on a small, luxury ship like Seabourn you may find it difficult to return to the mega-ships of Cunard and other lines. It's a totally different experience and certainly an elevated one. My partner has no desire to sail on the large ships, which is one reason he has never joined me on QM2. He has no desire (plus he doesn't like sea days). Cunard has no appeal for him.

He does enjoy our cruises on the small ships of Silversea, Windstar, and Azamara. At some point we will get around to trying Oceania and Seabourn. Meanwhile I still enjoy the large ship experience so I take those cruises without him. So far the strategy is working, especially for me as I get far more cruises out of it! ;-)

Next up is CARNIVAL MIRACLE in less than a week. Somewhat different than our last Azamara cruise, and needless to say my partner is not going. It's been 7 years since I've sailed on Carnival so I'm interested to see what has changed. After that its Celebrity Cruises in December (my favorite large ship line) and finally QM2 in January. It's turning into a busy Fall/Winter with a cruise planned each month. I'm not complaining!

I'm hoping to get on DISNEY DREAM sometime in 2012. Love Disney and so does my partner Chris so he will go on that one, even though it's a big ship.

Ernie

Dining companions in Britannia on QM2 once commented that they thought the food better on Carnival that CUNARD!

I've said the same. Food and service on Carnival has always been very good on my cruises. I can't say the same about Cunard, as it tends to vary. I've had excellent food and service on Cunard, but also one of the worst experiences of any of my cruises.

Well a lot can happen in seven years, so it will be interesting to see how Carnival has evolved. It's one reason I like sailing on all the different lines, to see how they each evolve. Sometimes the changes are great but not always. Carnival can actually be a nice experience, providing you follow some rules. Only cruise when school is in session (avoid all holidays and the summer); stick with the Spirit Class (best and most spacious in the Carnival fleet - similar to the Vista Class but I think better); and only take a cruise of 7-days or longer (better clientele).

Ernie

I've said the same. Food and service on Carnival has always been very good on my cruises. I can't say the same about Cunard, as it tends to vary. I've had excellent food and service on Cunard, but also one of the worst experiences of any of my cruises.

Well a lot can happen in seven years, so it will be interesting to see how Carnival has evolved. It's one reason I like sailing on all the different lines, to see how they each evolve. Sometimes the changes are great but not always. Carnival can actually be a nice experience, providing you follow some rules. Only cruise when school is in session (avoid all holidays and the summer); stick with the Spirit Class (best and most spacious in the Carnival fleet - similar to the Vista Class but I think better); and only take a cruise of 7-days or longer (better clientele).

Ernie

Ernie,

You are 100% correct about Carnival. We sail Carnival in addition to Cunard and other lines. We also follow your rules for sailing Carnival, especially the Spirit class. And yes, the food is better on Carnival than on Cunard.

Not sure if it's correct about the flat screen TVs. We did the short 2 night Cherbourg run before the TA in a P2 and it was still the old black very large TV. I was amazed as I thought all of these had been removed.

Maybe not all cabins were done yet, we were on Deck 11 in late July and late August, both of our cabins had flat screen LED television sets.

Finally some real information though I think we all knew a lot of it already. No mention of the Winter Garden which is so under used.

For what it's worth, I just disemarked the QM2 this past sunday and wes quite pleased to see the Winter garden being used more. The waterfalls are gone and so are the Art Auctions. They have added an late evening "Bedtime " Story from RADA as well. Very nice with some Hot Chocolate from King's court. :)

Denise

I just disemarked the QM2 this past sunday and wes quite pleased to see the Winter garden being used more. The waterfalls are gone... Denise

Hi Denise

Really? The Winter Garden waterfall has been REMOVED? Wonderful News.

I ask because it was going strong on the 14th of October 2011...

(it was still there, but not running, one day later).

I've long wished it would be go... and now you tell us it has!

Fantastic.

Very best wishes.

I don't understand why everyone is so against the winter garden? Isnt it just another room to relax in and have a drink? I'm actually looking forward to using that room on my upcoming voyage.. I would have liked the fountains to remain.

If everyone seems to agree that it's a terrible space then it should be easy for Cunard to turn it more into say 'the palm court cafe' on titanic which I think people would love! But I don't think they are touching this space?

Cheers

I'm most curious about this piece of the press release ...

In addition to the current major refit, when Queen Mary 2 returns to service on 8 December, she will introduce several new on board features, details of which will be disclosed soon.

I wonder what the new features will be? Could it be that Todd English is departing and replaced with The Verandah? That would be a welcome change.

Ernie

The main waterfall is still there, in fact I was sat there today at the 2nd of the senior officers parties, Denise may have missed it last week:)

Bedtime stories are good fun, Denise loved the Ghost story in illuminations.

I am told wedding will take place in the winter garden, but it really is a busy place now

I dont like he idea of the diamond lecture taking place in the chart rooms, thats weird.

I am told all rooms how have flat screen and the carpets are rolling and I mean rolling out, the mean business those carpet fitters:eek:

Interesting information released in the US:

In addition to the current major refit, when Queen Mary 2 returns to service on 8 December, she will introduce several new on board features, details of which will be disclosed soon.

I wonder what that can be? Farewell Todd English, hello Verandah?

Winter Garden waterfall:

Hi Pepperrn, I'm not too sure the waterfall has been competely removed, more than likely it was switched off ?

I think from time to time they switch off the 'electrict's' that operate the 'waterfall effect'. For example when they have the Rada evenings or when they use to have those blessed art auctions, :(;) as it makes for a better serene/peaceful atmosphere.

I've always enjoyed the 'effect' when sitting there reading a book or having a go at sudoku. Running water/water falls are rather therapeutic.

Please share with us why you would be delighted to see it go.;)

(What do other think ?)

Bell Boy.:)

• 2 weeks later...
Barry

The Verandah is on Cunard's QE and is a great restaurant. I thoroughly enjoyed their meals. I did not try Todd English but I wish I had.

Janice

The Verandah has just been voted Cruise Critic's Best Alternative restaurant

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/slideshows/?ID=308&photo=13&StartRow=11

Cunard also got voted Best for Entertainment

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/slideshows/?ID=308&photo=14&StartRow=11

The Verandah has just been voted Cruise Critic's Best Alternative restaurant

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/slideshows/?ID=308&photo=13&StartRow=11

Cunard also got voted Best for Entertainment

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/slideshows/?ID=308&photo=14&StartRow=11

Was that just Cruise Critic UK or all of Cruise Critic? Can't say I agree with either, especially the entertainment. Perhaps the voters have not sailed on many lines?

Ernie

• 4 months later...

Archived