What brands of Beer on Norwegian

JOHN 57

I will say, it's worth digging around all the bars on the ship, looking for different beers. We were once surprised by a small stock of Celebrator Dopplebock.

And for those who don't know, I emailed ncl PR with a link to some of the beer threads (one from the NCL board, one from another board complaining about all the cruise lines' selection). Alas, it did no good.

I will say, it's worth digging around all the bars on the ship, looking for different beers. We were once surprised by a small stock of Celebrator Dopplebock.

And for those who don't know, I emailed ncl PR with a link to some of the beer threads (one from the NCL board, one from another board complaining about all the cruise lines' selection). Alas, it did no good.

The Celebrator usta be a stock item. Not anymore.

The selection isn't gonna improve. Too many people are happy to giddines at guzzling crap beer. That's why BLeh and Coor's light comes in big boxes.

I did see Strongbow in the Red Lion Pub on the Star last week. I was going to have one but never got around to it.

They also had Sam Adams and Blue Moon.

I'm smacking myself for not taking a picture of the beers now.

I wonder if there is a certain territorial bias to the beers stocked. My first NCL cruise to the Baltics had Berlin (Warnemunde) as a port of call. They had (limited) supplies of Warsteiner on board (more limited after I found it! ;))

Things must be grim on US sailings if Boddingtons and Strongbow are regarded as good. Come to London UK sometime and try Fullers London Pride or Youngs bitter and then try Boddingtons after that (blergh!)

The main problem is that 'real ale' (as in cask-conditioned beer) would never survive on a moving ship. Draught beer would need to be 'bright' (pasteurised and cleared) to be usable on a cruise ship.

Bottled beer however is another matter entirely....

(Note to NCL - if you want a beer consultant for your cruise ships you know my details - my wife would be happy to act as a cider consultant as well :D:D)

I wonder if there is a certain territorial bias to the beers stocked. My first NCL cruise to the Baltics had Berlin (Warnemunde) as a port of call. They had (limited) supplies of Warsteiner on board (more limited after I found it! ;))

Things must be grim on US sailings if Boddingtons and Strongbow are regarded as good. Come to London UK sometime and try Fullers London Pride or Youngs bitter and then try Boddingtons after that (blergh!)

The main problem is that 'real ale' (as in cask-conditioned beer) would never survive on a moving ship. Draught beer would need to be 'bright' (pasteurised and cleared) to be usable on a cruise ship.

Bottled beer however is another matter entirely....

(Note to NCL - if you want a beer consultant for your cruise ships you know my details - my wife would be happy to act as a cider consultant as well :D:D)

What is your opinion on Old Speckled Hen? It's one of my favorites (or is that favourites? :D )!

I was at a dinner party and seated with a gentleman from the UK. We got to talking about beer and he recommended it. We also had a good time correcting each others "English!" (or is that "English"!) :D

What is your opinion on Old Speckled Hen? It's one of my favorites (or is that favourites? :D )!

I was at a dinner party and seated with a gentleman from the UK. We got to talking about beer and he recommended it. We also had a good time correcting each others "English!" (or is that "English"!) :D

OSH is drinkable.

If you want something REAL tasty, get some Old Engine Oil.

That selection is terribly disappointing. It sure would make sense to at least carry one premium draft on each ship. That wouldn't be too much to ask, would it? Its odd to me since NCL has to make good money on beer. I seriously don't know how people drink that other stuff.

For me, I will have to survive on Sam Adams or Blue Moon (maybe mix in a NEwcastle). Those tend to be my default beers when I am somewhere that carries nothing else.

Maybe I am just spoiled, I live ten minutes from Stone Brewery. Now they make some good beer.

OSH is not bad at all - it was better a few years ago before the Morlands brewery was bought out IMHO. They have just started a new brew called Gold Speckled Hen (IIRC) which is lovely! (Had a couple of pints in Soho yesreday).

That selection is terribly disappointing. It sure would make sense to at least carry one premium draft on each ship. That wouldn't be too much to ask, would it? Its odd to me since NCL has to make good money on beer. I seriously don't know how people drink that other stuff.

For me, I will have to survive on Sam Adams or Blue Moon (maybe mix in a NEwcastle). Those tend to be my default beers when I am somewhere that carries nothing else.

Maybe I am just spoiled, I live ten minutes from Stone Brewery. Now they make some good beer.

Hey Neighbor :)

Yes, we are spoiled here. Stone, Lost Abbey, Green Flash, Ballast Point, Alesmith, etc. In fact, I'm sitting here enjoying a double bastard

Hey Neighbor :)

Yes, we are spoiled here. Stone, Lost Abbey, Green Flash, Ballast Point, Alesmith, etc. In fact, I'm sitting here enjoying a double bastard

Mike, have you been to the Brewery yet? It is fantastic. Huuuge, open, and airy. Also, don't forget Karl Strauss is from SD as well. Outside of this area, Cali in general has so much to offer. I am a big Anderson Valley fan.

Mike, have you been to the Brewery yet? It is fantastic. Huuuge, open, and airy. Also, don't forget Karl Strauss is from SD as well. Outside of this area, Cali in general has so much to offer. I am a big Anderson Valley fan.

Yep. Been up to Stone a few times. A couple of movie nights, a few meals at the restaurant, a tour, lots of beer. Love the guest taps too.

Don't forget Port Brewing. One of my favorite growler refill stations. :)

My birthday party selection was better than NCL's. Missing is the Hoengaarden & a few others.

photo-vi.jpg

This one is full of Horny Devil Belgian Ale - one of my faves.

DSCN2450-vi.jpg

My birthday party selection was better than NCL's. Missing is the Hoengaarden & a few others.

I have Hoengaarden in my fridge right now. I also like Shock Top which is very similar imo. Also, I see you had Black Toad there...love that beer.

Ok NCL, are you reading this? Surely we can do better than the watered down apple juice you are serving.

I have Hoengaarden in my fridge right now. I also like Shock Top which is very similar imo. Also, I see you had Black Toad there...love that beer.

Ok NCL, are you reading this? Surely we can do better than the watered down apple juice you are serving.

I'm sitting here with an Alesmith Horny Devil 750. I'd gladly pay $15 for one on a ship

Did they carry Guinness? Also, what was the final answer about cider?

I like black velvets and black & tans. I had no problem getting those mixes on Royal Caribbean. My Jamaican bartender had no idea how to stack them though. He seemed embarrassed by that.

Regards,

Shalie

They have all of the usual Big 3 mass market swill beers and few less popular swill beers. Cruise ships aren't known for their beer selection.

On occasion, there is ONE, count'em, ONE label from a brewery specific to a port on the itinerary.

Perhaps the problem is most beer snobs only drink one or two beers and the cruiselines are looking to make money.;)

Perhaps the problem is most beer snobs only drink one or two beers and the cruiselines are looking to make money.;)

Maybe. But, any beer snob I know isn't going to buy any of the other stuff any way. But, your point may be a good one as it would take about 6 times the amount to give a buzz. ;)

My thought is that NCL has just not caught up to the popularity of good, premium draft beers. Brewery's and the like are gaining in popularity at a crazy rate (at least in Cali but I would guess everywhere). In a economic time when many restaurants are struggling, every single good beer joint around me is full almost every night. I think at some point NCL will see this as a huge money-maker and cater more toward the beer snob crowd.

I could easily see them take something like the Bier Garten and add a few really good draft beers (as long as they are premium, people will drink them) that they don't serve anywhere else on the ship.

P.S Or they can just allow me to bring some good stuff on board by the case, and I can sell them from my corner balcony suite (which I could then easily pay for) and my balcony could be the unofficial Bier Garten!

Nope! Beer snobs sit around drinking lots of swill like BLeh or Coor's Light because THAT'S their brand!

Beer geeks, on the other hand, sit around drinking all sorts of different beers while saying "dang! I wish that was available where I live!"

Us beer geeks also realize that we are in the minority and that since so many beer snobs are willing to accept mediocre (or worse than mediocre) beer, we just don't get much choice on a cruise ship. At home it's different, as I post this ejoying an Abita Amber Ale.

Archived