What brands of Beer on Norwegian

JOHN 57

Maybe. But, any beer snob I know isn't going to buy any of the other stuff any way. But, your point may be a good one as it would take about 6 times the amount to give a buzz. ;)

My thought is that NCL has just not caught up to the popularity of good, premium draft beers. Brewery's and the like are gaining in popularity at a crazy rate (at least in Cali but I would guess everywhere). In a economic time when many restaurants are struggling, every single good beer joint around me is full almost every night. I think at some point NCL will see this as a huge money-maker and cater more toward the beer snob crowd.

I could easily see them take something like the Bier Garten and add a few really good draft beers (as long as they are premium, people will drink them) that they don't serve anywhere else on the ship.

P.S Or they can just allow me to bring some good stuff on board by the case, and I can sell them from my corner balcony suite (which I could then easily pay for) and my balcony could be the unofficial Bier Garten!

Beer snobs drink one brand. Beer geeks drink from lots of places. There are breweries all over the country. Regional distributorship is the norm. I get a few things from the People's Republic of California around here but it is limited.

I agree with the snob vs. geek assessment. I have a friend who will drink nothing but Corona. You can almost drink a bucket of those by the pool with minimum buzz. Maybe that's how NCL and others make money. Low alcohol and water-like allows people to drink a lot of them...at a high cost.

On the other hand, right now I have a selection of beers I'm enjoying (a geek, not a snob), most of which are around 10-12 abv, more than double the yellow fizzy beers. Good beer is like good wine... complex and flavorful. Could I drink a bucket of Corona and function? Yes, assuming I could make myself drink them. Could I do that with a Duvel at over 9% abv? Not likely.

So maybe it IS about the math, not the quality

I agree with the snob vs. geek assessment. I have a friend who will drink nothing but Corona. You can almost drink a bucket of those by the pool with minimum buzz. Maybe that's how NCL and others make money. Low alcohol and water-like allows people to drink a lot of them...at a high cost.

On the other hand, right now I have a selection of beers I'm enjoying (a geek, not a snob), most of which are around 10-12 abv, more than double the yellow fizzy beers. Good beer is like good wine... complex and flavorful. Could I drink a bucket of Corona and function? Yes, assuming I could make myself drink them. Could I do that with a Duvel at over 9% abv? Not likely.

I think it's the math. So many unfortunates are willing to drink the swill. Don't misunderstand---I'd sell 'em all they wanted of the swill.

I think we're knock gonna knocl back a Samichlaus tonight. Gotta be careful with a 14% beer plus we want to age it a bit. Presidential IPA right now but the beer-fairy just got in so I'll go she what she brought!

I think it's the math. So many unfortunates are willing to drink the swill. Don't misunderstand---I'd sell 'em all they wanted of the swill.

I think we're knock gonna knocl back a Samichlaus tonight. Gotta be careful with a 14% beer plus we want to age it a bit. Presidential IPA right now but the beer-fairy just got in so I'll go she what she brought!

That's a big beer! Put the car keys away. :) I've not seen it locally. How do you "knock back" a 34 proof beer? haha

I've got an Allagash Curieux calling my name from the fridge. Gonna let it warm up about 10 deg and watch the world series in its company

I don't know how to ship beer, but I could figure it out if there was something you wanted from CA that you can't get.

That's a big beer! Put the car keys away. :) I've not seen it locally. How do you "knock back" a 34 proof beer? haha

I've got an Allagash Curieux calling my name from the fridge. Gonna let it warm up about 10 deg and watch the world series in its company

I don't know how to ship beer, but I could figure it out if there was something you wanted from CA that you can't get.

:D Ya don't 'knock back' a Samichlaus! It ain't everyone's cup of.....t... well, anyway. I was at a good beer store and saw two cases. I went looking for a 4 pack and the beer fairy (that'd be the wife) had put the case into the cart. She sais happy birthday! And it wasn't my birthday!

Of course, she's also a fan of good beer, albeit a bit more particular with her likes. She's a BIG fan of the Samichlaus, which might not be a good thing.:eek:

Shipping beer seems a big deal and I'm certain it would be against state law for me to receive it. Thanks for the offer, though.

I can get Pld Rasputin and some others from North Coast. RedTail and Red Seal are available. Are they Ca. breweries?

It'd be interesting to see a cruise ship offer up some corked bombers. We've become fans of some Saisons and Quads from Boulevard, among others. I cannot believe that they couldn't that stuff, at least in pub anyway.

:D Ya don't 'knock back' a Samichlaus! It ain't everyone's cup of.....t... well, anyway. I was at a good beer store and saw two cases. I went looking for a 4 pack and the beer fairy (that'd be the wife) had put the case into the cart. She sais happy birthday! And it wasn't my birthday!

Of course, she's also a fan of good beer, albeit a bit more particular with her likes. She's a BIG fan of the Samichlaus, which might not be a good thing.:eek:

Shipping beer seems a big deal and I'm certain it would be against state law for me to receive it. Thanks for the offer, though.

I can get Pld Rasputin and some others from North Coast. RedTail and Red Seal are available. Are they Ca. breweries?

It'd be interesting to see a cruise ship offer up some corked bombers. We've become fans of some Saisons and Quads from Boulevard, among others. I cannot believe that they couldn't that stuff, at least in pub anyway.

Old Rasputin and Red Seal are from North Coast Brewing up in Mendicino Co. We love that brewery. Nice little restaurant inside too. We used to play in soccer tournaments up there and after the first day would head for the brewery. Needless to say we didn't play well the next day. :D

Duvel at over 9% abv?

I just recently tried the Duvel Green, very Tasty. A bit lighter.

Mrs. Luddie here - and I love that Old Rasputin! I hated beer (once watered a plant with Coor's Light at a party and drank water) until the Luddie started bringing home some yummy porters and stouts...now I get to play beer fairy! I also love those smoked porters and Thomas Hardy's ale...

Realizing this topic is drifting a bit....however, listen up NCL...better beer. Anyhow...I belong to the Beer of the Month Club. Once a month, UPS shows up and leaves a box of twelve bottles of beer on my doorstep, no checking ID or anything. With our silly state laws though, for me to buy a six pack at the local grocery store, although I'm almost 70 and look 80, I have to remove my drivers license out of my wallet and hand it to the clerk to copy numbers from.

Mrs. Luddie here - and I love that Old Rasputin! I hated beer (once watered a plant with Coor's Light at a party and drank water) until the Luddie started bringing home some yummy porters and stouts...now I get to play beer fairy! I also love those smoked porters and Thomas Hardy's ale...

Hi beer fairy! There's an old rasputin 12th anniversary edition that's aged in bourbon barrels. A local friend found a bottle in NorCal and said it was amazing. If you ever go to Hawaii go set up chairs outside Kona Brewing until they let you try the Black Sand Porter barrel aged with vanilla

Old Rasputin is lovely!!! I also love a Brother Thelonius or a Tripel Karmeliet. Come to think of it...the TK looks like Champagne.....it has a cork..... maybe I could get it on and pay the corkage?!?! Hmmmmm...... where do they sell it in Miami???

I've been wondering about a couple of our corked bottles, myself!

I've not tried the Old Rasputin bourbon barrel aged porter, but Luddie brought another one home that was absolute heaven with a steak off of the grill! I discovered Kona Brewery coffee porter in Florida a couple of years ago and had a great painting on the beach while drinking beer weekend.:D

Realizing this topic is drifting a bit....however, listen up NCL...better beer. Anyhow...I belong to the Beer of the Month Club. Once a month, UPS shows up and leaves a box of twelve bottles of beer on my doorstep, no checking ID or anything. With our silly state laws though, for me to buy a six pack at the local grocery store, although I'm almost 70 and look 80, I have to remove my drivers license out of my wallet and hand it to the clerk to copy numbers from.

When we visit Tennessee, that ID things rears it's head. What nonsense!

Bourbon County Stout. I believe from Boulevard Brewery.

Aged in bourbon barrels.

Great with a steak. Great with a chop.

Are you listening NCL? This stuff is better than any bottle of wine that you're selling for less than 60 bucks!

Hi beer fairy! There's an old rasputin 12th anniversary edition that's aged in bourbon barrels. A local friend found a bottle in NorCal and said it was amazing. If you ever go to Hawaii go set up chairs outside Kona Brewing until they let you try the Black Sand Porter barrel aged with vanilla

Breckinridge Vanilla Porter is available here.

Kona Brewery seems like a lovely place........

So, all this talk of beer has me salivating! I'm not a beer geek, but I do enjoy a tasty beverage now and then. I had a question about the "bucket o' beer" that is mentioned. Is the price determined by which beer you choose for the bucket, or is it flat fee? I mean, I can see some folk paying for that bucket of PBRs, but what you you pay for a bucket of, say, one of the better brews that a ship would have, like Franziskaner (I'm assuming it's just the regular one, not the dopple hefe, which is one of my faves)??

I went to a cooking class at a 5 diamond restaurant a few years ago that had beer as it's topic. All the courses, 5 of them, were built with beer. Then, each course when served had a beer pairing. Very fun. Let me tell you, the chocolate stout ice cream was amazing!!!

It was a definite departure from the usual wine pairings for a dinner. It wouldn't be that much of a stretch for a cruise line to do that for a special lunch or dinner. I bet it would be well attended!

So, all this talk of beer has me salivating! I'm not a beer geek, but I do enjoy a tasty beverage now and then. I had a question about the "bucket o' beer" that is mentioned. Is the price determined by which beer you choose for the bucket, or is it flat fee? I mean, I can see some folk paying for that bucket of PBRs, but what you you pay for a bucket of, say, one of the better brews that a ship would have, like Franziskaner (I'm assuming it's just the regular one, not the dopple hefe, which is one of my faves)??

It is based on the pricier beer in that bucket.

Basically, it's a six for five deal.

Once, I stress once, there was a special of DosEquis -lager or amber, your choice- as a seven for five deal.

If you're a fan of a dopple hef,..... well, you're pretty much a beer geek.

I drank my last wheat beer a coupla years ago. That's a style that I cannot abide.

Breckinridge Vanilla Porter is available here.

Kona Brewery seems like a lovely place........

Unfortunately, the Kona Brewery is in an industrial park area and more of a restaurant than brewery. If you want to have a great brewery experience, visit Stone. The place with it's inside/outside restaurant, onsite brewing, gardens, etc. is stunning

yard3.jpg

3.jpg

14b.jpg

7.jpg

You know how some cruise lines partner with a celebrity chef on their menus and recipes? NCL should partner with Zane Lamprey for beer and spirits menus. Dream on, I know.

lol. Zane Lamprey would just be drunk all the time. :) I've never seen a person drink as much as he did/does on Three Sheets without slipping into an alcohol coma

If you want to have a great brewery experience, visit Stone. The place with it's inside/outside restaurant, onsite brewing, gardens, etc. is stunning

I may have to stop by there tonight for an Ale and a pretzel. Their soft pretzel's and cheese are the best I have ever had...Their mac and cheese is almost too rich for me, but most people swear by it. Great, great place to just grab a beer and some grub in the bar.

• 2 months later...
If you ever go to Hawaii go set up chairs outside Kona Brewing until they let you try the Black Sand Porter barrel aged with vanilla

Just got back from Oahu and went to their restaraunt/bar there.

Does NCL Epic have any of the Kona Brewing Co. Beers- Longboard, Firerock, Big Wave, etc...

Just a horrible , horrible selection. Yikes!

I don't see my favorite beer either but, I don't "Yikes" about it. I prefer Labatt's but, ....I buy beer that will fit convenientally fit in my cabin fridge and one that I may like. Turns out to be Heineken. Just my thoughts.

Archived