When one person can't go!!

ken987

Hi,

What happens in this scenario.

Husband and Wife book a cruise and get insurance. One falls sick enough that the doctor says do not go. But tells the spouse go without me as I don't want to ruin the trip.

The illness is serious enough that you would not want this person to be on the ship but the illness is not life threatening in of itself.

So the spouse unwillingly goes on the cruise. How much more will that spouse have to pay if the cruise is sold out?

I hope I have provided enough information, any help would be appreciated.

Ken

Hi,

What happens in this scenario.

Husband and Wife book a cruise and get insurance. One falls sick enough that the doctor says do not go. But tells the spouse go without me as I don't want to ruin the trip.

The illness is serious enough that you would not want this person to be on the ship but the illness is not life threatening in of itself.

So the spouse unwillingly goes on the cruise. How much more will that spouse have to pay if the cruise is sold out?

I hope I have provided enough information, any help would be appreciated.

Ken

Sounds like you insurance company would reimburse you in full for the cruise fare due to medical reasons. But you want one spouse to still go, and that's an interesting twist.

I suggest you call your travel insurance company and find out what your options are....and likely different companies will treat this differently.

Why would the spouse who travelled have to pay more? Presumably final payment has been made as the cruise is close enough for the doctor to recommend the ill guest to stay home. The cruise line will not lose any money as the stay at home guest will claim on insurance for the money paid for their part of the cruise cost and the cruise line has still been paid in full.

I think the potential grey area would be if the doctor informed you that you are too ill to cruise while a portion of the fare was still refundable. Insurance will generally only cover non-refundable portions of one's trip. So if you are able to cancel and obtain a 50% refund of your fare, it might be that your spouse would have to pay this portion if the single supplement is 100%. I am not sure though and you definitely should contact your travel insurance company as the answer might be different based on different policies.

Back in 2005 my Mom and I were supposed to go to the Baltics together and she became sick. She filled out the out the appropriate forms and had her dr. sign them. We had not made the final payment. She was reimbursed for the the expenses she paid (airfare). I filled out a form and requested reimbursement for the cruise single supplement I paid, which I did get.

What does that have to do with the OP's question? :confused:

I am also confused but not suprised. I tried so hard to keep this generic because I have seen innocent threads with innocent questions turn into dramatic stories of life and love. I could have really spiced this up and by the end of the thread sold the movie rights!

I would never leave my sick husband at home. How could I possibly have a good time without him, knowing that he was home sick?

You have no idea what the situation is....so even suggesting that the OP is doing something that's somehow wrong is really inappropriate.

You're right, and I apologize. I was just personalizing it to our own situation (first time that's ever happened on a forum?), and just couldn't picture leaving my sick husband to go on a vacation by myself.

A situation with a friend who crapped out or couldn't make it, a business trip that couldn't be postponed, etc. I would not have reacted that way.

Archived