NCL Jewel/Gem to Bahamas

kkttc

Hi All, first time poster. I'm thinking about the NYC->Bahamas cruise last week in April 2012. I'm concerned about several things, one of them being kids having fun on sea days. Kids are ages 10,13,16. I like that the 13 and 16 year boys will be in the teen group at the same time, meaning they can hang out together. My 10 year old is pretty friendly, and I don't think she'd have a hard time with other girls her age.

They have never cruised before (my wife and I have on RCCL and CARNIVAL).

Any tips/comments on those ship's clubs? Activities?

I'm also a bit worried that the ports might not be as great as what we've visited, but since the kids have never cruised, and never been to these ports, they probably wouldn't know the diff! Looked at Disney cruises and RCCL/Carnival, and even if I travel to Florida to cruise, still looking at just usually 3 days sea, 3 days ports (maybe 4).

Would you suggest Gem or Jewel? Does it really matter? All I can see on the boards as a difference is that the Gem has bowling and rock climbing where Jewel doesn't, but Jewel has a nickelodeon component.

Also I'm concerned about the 'motion of the ocean' leaving from NYC that time of year - we are from NH and know that it will be warm enough for us by the first morning at sea, and even 60degrees in April in NCY is better than NH weather.

Just hoping that the ship will have enuf for them to do for 3 full days at sea.

Haven't booked anything yet, but curious.

Thanks...

I can't imagine kids that age being bored on any ship! If they aren't using the kid's club, they will likely be at the pool, or sportsdeck. And, the sea days aren't all in a row, are they? They'll have a great time...lucky kids!

So very true, I think them being bored would only happen if it rained every sea day. Even then, there is always soft serve ice cream!

First sea day is from NYC->Florida. Last 2 days are sea days, back to NYC.

Here, read this...this is my review on 10/2 Gem and it's everything you've ever wanted to know about Gem but were afraid to ask. :p;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1498132

We sailed to Bermuda, not Bahamas - so our "rocky experience" on the next to the last night won't apply to you. I actually sailed on another ship out of NYC in May and the water was as smooth as glass!

So I am doubting you will have any tropical storms/hurricanes moving your ship along like we did. :D

And my signature flipping around there below are the pictures from Gem, do they look bored? LOL

I think your kids will find plenty to do. Go and enjoy your cruise. You will have so many great pictures and memories from your trip. It wont be long until your 16 year-old is grown and out of the house. Enjoy the family being together!!

I think your kids will find plenty to do. Go and enjoy your cruise. You will have so many great pictures and memories from your trip. It wont be long until your 16 year-old is grown and out of the house. Enjoy the family being together!!

Family time - my oldest dd was 14, and I saw her less on the Jewel than I did at home! She was nervous going to the kids club that first night - next thing I know, she's racing into our cabin on a scavenger hunt. By the end of the cruise, she was eating with her new group of friends.

She went from not wanting to cruise (without her friends) to making a new group of friends who still keep in touch, a year later. We still had her 4 younger siblings to hang out with, although my 7 and 9 year olds did enjoy the clubs as well. My ds12 didn't like them - too babyish, as he was at the older end. He had a friend onboards, though.

Have looked at both of those cruises myself. I know that the Jewel has the Nickelodeon stuff on board (it is not a Nick at Sea week) you can check that out on the NCL website, and the Gem does not. Gem has rock wall and bowling alley....Jewel does not. Gem leaves on Sat. and Jewel leaves on Sunday......same itinerary....Gem is a little bit newer.

Have looked at both of those cruises myself. I know that the Jewel has the Nickelodeon stuff on board (it is not a Nick at Sea week) you can check that out on the NCL website, and the Gem does not.

Not anymore. ;) Starting February, GEM is a Nick year round cruise. I know, I JUST missed it. :eek:

http://www2.ncl.com/freestyle-cruise/nickelodeon

• 2 months later...

From northern NY, but lived in NH for a few years. Are you looking at NCL bc it leaves from NYC. Check out Carnival leaving from Baltimore. Its only about another hour and 15min. Baltimore, I hear is alot easier to get in and out of and the port parking fees are less. We looked at both NCL and Carnival bc of the locations and choose the Carnival Pride. 1. We are returning Carnival customers. 2. Better slide. 3. More pools and one has a retractable roof in case of poorer weather. 4. Bigger cabins. 5. Easier accesses and cheaper port. However the Pride has a renassaince theme..ie naked paintings and statues. Figured that alittle work by myself on educating them about art history and they can appreciate it not google at it.

Thanks, I appreciate the update. Still not sold on NCL vs RCCL, but that's my problem.

Having the same issue for different reasons! We are a RCCL family, but looking for something new to check out. Not so sold on NCL just yet either. Trying, but not sure we can make the leap from RC, RC has been a great cruise line for my family. Having said that, friends of ours have been on both Gem and Jewel, they enjoyed both..so did their kids who are around the same age as yours. Good luck in your decision, you'll have a great time cruising no matter what you chose! :)

CruiseDivaNJ

Archived