Why dearer CORKAGE FEE for AUSSIES??

would like to know from "Princess Cruises" why us Aussies have to pay MORE for corkage especially now that our AU dollar is worth more than US??..as per Princess faqs.....

USD15.00 PER BOTTLE (AUD20 PER BOTTLE FOR SUN AND DAWN PRINCESS CRUISES) CORKAGE FEE WILL BE APPLIED

would like to know from "Princess Cruises" why us Aussies have to pay MORE for corkage especially now that our AU dollar is worth more than US??..as per Princess faqs.....

USD15.00 PER BOTTLE (AUD20 PER BOTTLE FOR SUN AND DAWN PRINCESS CRUISES) CORKAGE FEE WILL BE APPLIED

I laughed out loud when I read this.

What will they think of next?

Might be time to have your wine, with lunch, in port.

Jannandjohn

I agree with you regarding the corkage fee. Obviously some people can afford these prices and dont mind paying but for people on a very limited income (pensioners) who scrimp and save for a year or more to afford an inside cabin just to go on a cruise, extras like this are very hard to accept.

There are obviously the "haves" and the "have nots" amongst those who cruise but I am with the "have nots" and fully support your sentiments.

John

Jannandjohn

I agree with you regarding the corkage fee. Obviously some people can afford these prices and dont mind paying but for people on a very limited income (pensioners) who scrimp and save for a year or more to afford an inside cabin just to go on a cruise, extras like this are very hard to accept.

There are obviously the "haves" and the "have nots" amongst those who cruise but I am with the "have nots" and fully support your sentiments.

John

we actually always get a suite..

my husband is 75 ..still working..

I am 62..still working..

we are not scrimping, just hate being charged more than someone else JUST because of the Country they come from...

I really would just like a genuine reason..

The cruise lines based in Australia are finding they have to competion with a lot of cruise lines coming to Australia over the next few years, so they are droping the prices a little, taking auto tipping.

Just to get people to book a cruise, but thats to just get people onto the ships, then they hit people with all the new chargers on board the ship, some a small and not so small charges.

eg corkage, tours prices are up, wine beer and spirit chargers are up.

I think some of these prices, such as corkage, were put in place when the Aussie dollar was buying much less than the US $ and it would have been a fair bit of bother to keep changing prices as the currency fluctuated.:)

I tend to agree with you here. I think they establish an exchange rate at the beginning of the season or the publishing of the latest brochure and that's where it stays.

Jilly

I think some of these prices, such as corkage, were put in place when the Aussie dollar was buying much less than the US $ and it would have been a fair bit of bother to keep changing prices as the currency fluctuated.:)

That'd be my belief too. They're not going to dynamically change the corkage price every day (minute!) as the exchange rate changes, so it just depends when it's set.

Good comment.

Australians are used to being quoted cruise fares in USD$, why not corkage?

AU$ is the currency for both the Dawn and Sun, I wish the currency was US$, but I didn't get a vote:D:D

From what I gather from these boards EVERYTHING is more expensive on the Dawn and Sun, espeically now that the AU$ is kicking the US$ butt. I read on these boards that the $10 USD shop (Bijoux Terner) is the $15 AUD shop on the Dawn and Sun. Drinks are at leat $1-2 more expensive. etc.,etc., etc.

Also, the cost of our upcoming cruises on the Sun and Dawn are much more expensive per day than what I normally pay on Princess.

And I don't even want to talk about the cost of the airfare from the US to Sydney...........

And I don't even want to talk about the cost of the airfare from the US to Sydney...........

The cost of the airfare from the US to Sydney is usually half the cost of the airfare from Sydney to the US.

Who are you flying with? Are you travelling peak season from US? Are you travelling return or one way?

The cost of airfares from Australia is lower than it used to be, because of competition, however it still adds a hefty additional cost to overseas cruises, for Australians. Many people, who travel business class or combination business/economy class, pay more for the airfare than the cruise.

so why not charge us US$15 and let it be converted on our cards..fairer..

Because all onboard prices on those two ships (now three) are in AUD.

A lot of people don't like the idea of having to pay for things in another currency - plus you then have currency conversion costs. While some people who researched know low price conversion methods, others who haven't will then be wondering why they have to pay in another currency for ships in local waters, and that it's more costly because they have to pay currency conversion on top of everything else.

It is not as difficult as it may seem. You don't have to pay big currency conversion costs...even on ships sailing in USD. You mark your cruise contract...do not convert...hand over your ccard at the end of the cruise and your bank will convert at the prevailing rate when the charge gets there (the ships conversion rate will usually be significantly lower as it is set to suit them at the beginning of the seasn and has nothing to do with the prevailing rate).

We do generally pay more for cruises booked in Australia and that is a fact. Hopefully as Australians are becoming more and more cruise savvy and there is more competition from new lines coming here..things will improve.

There are other cruise lines other than Princess/Carnival/HAL who are happy to accept internet bookings from Australians at the same price as US citizens pay for their cruises sailing out of Australia or elsewhere. They ring you back at their cost and provide excellent service in my experience..it is no different than booking anything else over the net.

I love the US based Princess ships but when it comes to $$ I am going to book wherever I get the best deal. Too many places to see and cruises to take to waste money.

Archived