What makes HAL different from Princess, NCL and RCI?

michigan tim

I really like the Culinary Arts Center, music in many more venues than I have found on other cruise lines, more mature entertainment. Granted there are a lot of really old people, scooters, walkers, etc but that made it all the more better. Never a fight for a pool deck chair, ship was mine to roam around at night after they went to bed, those of us that liked to party had lots of room to do so. More activities that didn't cost extra like the afternoon teas, computer classes with a Microsoft trained tech, the great library, the person on the Explorations team that talked about the ports (not the excursion person). So much I love about HAL

Have been on the same lines as you and have been on HA twice - and have booked another this winter (on your sister ship the Westerdam). We find HA a cut above the rest in this price group in all categories. Kind of has an old world European feeling about them. And the best crew all around.

Your age is about right.

Dining and buffet are very good to excellent and the upgrade restaurants are really worth the price. You can have alcohol in you room (buy from them) and their bottles are fairly priced. On RCL we had a cocktail party in our room we had to buy each drink......never travel with them again. And you don't have to pay extra for espresso or cappuccino with dinner.

We like formal nights and i'd say about 50% of the guys went formal, but everyone looked good. The have superior menus in the buffet dinner on formal nights as compensation for those that wish to stay casual - a really good touch.

We always book a verandah/balcony room and theirs are better for the same price. Bigger bathrooms as well. Some of our travel mates stay in interior rooms which they felt were roomier and better appointed.

Like the prior responder say, always a deck chair. Just doesn't seem as crowded. And a bar for everyone's taste.

This question has been asked so many times. I really can't say if the food and service are superior, because everyone has their own opinions.

What IS special about HAL are the larger than average staterooms and bathrooms. The beds are great, too. To me, that would be reason alone to choose HAL above the other lines.

What you might want to consider is that HAL allows smoking on the balconies. If you always get a balcony, you might not be able to use it if you are next door to a smoker and smoking bothers you.

Try this link to a review I did after a B2B on ruby Princess and Eurodam back in 2009. Tried to compare the two ships around the differences. Hope it helps!:)

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=58965

Nicely detailed review. However (chagrin :() there is a problem when one forces a balcony door open on HAL ships to enjoy the fresh air and sound of the sea at night. According to other threads, this does foul up the HVAC for other cabins on the same ventilation circuit.

It appears this is the same case on the Princess ships who "respectfully ask guests to keep balcony doors closed" as found in a recent thread that asked various cruise lines about this option. This could be a material difference between choice of cruise lines for those who do want to keep balcony doors open at night. http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4370

Try this link to a review I did after a B2B on ruby Princess and Eurodam back in 2009. Tried to compare the two ships around the differences. Hope it helps!:)

Nice comparison!

I found the Zuiderdam to have greater flow through in its design than the Ruby's sister the Crown. Food was a toss up.

Regarding RCI, I have only been on the Brilliance and it holds about the same as the Vista and Signature Class ships on HAL. The Radiance was a BEAUTIFUL ship. The Food was not quite up to HAL or Princess but it was more than adequate.

Also on RCI you can pre-reserve via computer your dining times before your trip.

This boards adverse opinions on dinner dress on non formal nights--

soon I will find out if it just the dress code police trying to sway or intimate people in dressing like they want the norm to be. BG

Last month you posted:

As a soon to be new Holland American cruiser --I am really tired of all these dress related threads----this board spends to much time on this issue versus talking about the ships, reviews etc. BG
Why are you still harping on our dress code? HAL is not NCL. Most of us dress up for dinner. You have never sailed HAL, and have nothing to offer this OP.

Great review! As someone who has also done both Princess and HAL, I had to agree with everything except the steak house - but then again I haven't tried the steakhouse on Princess! :o Like both lines for different reasons, but HAL wins hands down for the kind of cruise experience I most value.

Last month you posted: Why are you still harping on our dress code? HAL is not NCL. Most of us dress up for dinner. You have never sailed HAL, and have nothing to offer this OP.

And what are you offering the OP (me) aside from providing support for the post of the person whom you have chosen to admonish :confused:

Thank you very much to those that provided more topical replys.

_

_

_

Thanks for the comments on the review. We do enjoy the Pinnacle Grill so I certainly wouldn't anyone to avoid trying it... both were great experiences and I look forward to dining in the Pinnacle again on our upcoming cruise.

Also, I have become more aware of the issues around leaving balcony doors open (over night while we slept) so would want cruisers to abide with the cruise line policy they are travelling on with regards to this. It was nice to fall asleep to the sound of the waves and a gentle warm breeze though. An indulgence we'll surely miss!:o

Thanks for the comments on the review. We do enjoy the Pinnacle Grill so I certainly wouldn't anyone to avoid trying it... both were great experiences and I look forward to dining in the Pinnacle again on our upcoming cruise.

Also, I have become more aware of the issues around leaving balcony doors open (over night while we slept) so would want cruisers to abide with the cruise line policy they are travelling on with regards to this. It was nice to fall asleep to the sound of the waves and a gentle warm breeze though. An indulgence we'll surely miss!:o

Well, at least you're aware that it's an issue.:cool:

I have only cruised on CCL (once) and HAL (twice now) - my husband cruised previously on NCL - his comments about the difference were that he felt more "nickel and dimed" for things on NCL, and that the food choices that were included in the price of the cruise were not very good at all. He also commented on how HAL's cabin size was much more spacious for the same categories compared. I thought the cabin size on the Carnival ship was comparable to HAL's, but, as others have pointed out here, the bed was far less comfy than the HAL beds. Those are great!! We both, also, thought the food on CCL to be very subpar, at least on our one cruise experience. After sending back our dinners twice, though, our fabulous waiter told us that we could have the same food the crew were having, if we let him know in advance - they would put some aside for us - it was Indian food (as they were all mostly Indian crew on this ship). It was DELISH!! So I managed to eat very well at dinner after all - the last 5 days at least.

We are in your age range, and we love the Culinary Institute, the lovely different bars (we like dancing in the Ocean Bar to the Neptunes after dinner) - some shows we like, some we don't, but we like to make our own fun after hours. The staff is AMAZING. On our last cruise on HAL the bartenders at the Ocean Bar memorized not only our names but those of our two teens (who only appeared once or twice the whole cruise) after only the first day. But service on Carnival was very nice too - perhaps not quite that "above and beyond" feeling I get on HAL, but good.

Have a great cruise!

And what are you offering the OP (me) aside from providing support for the post of the person whom you have chosen to admonish :confused:

Mea culpa :eek:

Considering Zuiderdam in a few months. Last 4 cruises have been on Princess, prior 4 were NCL also cruised RCI, Costa and CCL. We're a 50ish couple who enjoy active days and typically relaxing/laid back evenings. What can we expect?

We are in our 60s and have sailed HAL, RCI, CCL and Princess; 11 of which have been on Zuiderdam. Compared to the other lines, we think Zuidy:

• is more intimate and has a less frenetic energy level.
  • is laid out in such a way that is easy to navigate.
  • has two pools and plenty of loungers so that you don't have to deal with 'saved seats'.
  • has an excellent spa and gym.

• may have fewer dining venues, but the food is at least as good as the other lines, and the Pinnacle Grill is outstanding.
  • has a station/buffet-style Lido that has a huge variety of prepared and made-to-order dishes.

• offers exemplary service in all respects.
  • has overall larger staterooms with the MOST comfortable bedding.
  • offers varied activities without nickel 'n' diming us to death.

HTH,

Candy the ZuiderPrincess

IMO there use to be a big difference in service, food and style with HAL over other lines. Now with the change is marketing, competition and demographics there is not much difference any more between cruise lines. To keep costs down and stay competitive many of the things that set HAL apart from others are no more. The big difference that so far has not been taken away are the smaller more elegant ships that HAL has and others lines are doing away with. With itineraries and cabin cost about the same on HAL, Carnival, Princess RCCL and NCL our choice comes down to the size of the ships and amenities that attract older more mature passengers like us.That is the reason we stay with HAL. We do not cruise to have climbing walls, water parks, and 7 or more restaurants and 30% of the passengers that are under 18 so we stay with HAL.

One of the best things about HAL is that they do not have a restrictive policy about bringing our own wine aboard the ship. I bring a case of wine on every HAL cruise, if that goes away so will our loyalty and business!

Also, you could have slept out on your balcony, falling asleep to the sound of the waves, leaving the balcony doors CLOSED, thereby not interfering with the HVAC (and the A/C comfort of your fellow cruisers)! :mad:

IMO there use to be a big difference in service, food and style with HAL over other lines. Now with the change is marketing, competition and demographics there is not much difference any more between cruise lines. To keep costs down and stay competitive many of the things that set HAL apart from others are no more. The big difference that so far has not been taken away are the smaller more elegant ships that HAL has and others lines are doing away with. With itineraries and cabin cost about the same on HAL, Carnival, Princess RCCL and NCL our choice comes down to the size of the ships and amenities that attract older more mature passengers like us.That is the reason we stay with HAL. We do not cruise to have climbing walls, water parks, and 7 or more restaurants and 30% of the passengers that are under 18 so we stay with HAL.

I just started looking at all RT West Coast departures as we hate flying long distances more and more, as well as jet-lag issues which put us basically in competition between Princess out of Los Angeles and HAL out of San Diego ,with a few other lines on occasional routes.

Hands down for us HAL wins again with their itineraries, which is what drew us to HAL in the first place when we had no idea about the differences between any of these cruise lines. HAL always seemed to offer one more port or a more interesting combination of ports. I hope this always remains its value added, because that is what we are looking for.

Far away places with strange sounding names, without having to leave too many of the comforts of home. (Yes, we are now seniors - these things matter more and more --sigh)

To get a West Coast RT we were willing to explore other cruise lines, and have in the past when Crystal gave us the right cruise at the right price from LA, but for us it remains clear -HAL all the way for us when it comes to these similar class ships. Didn't find anything from Celebrity for So Cal departures. But for So Cal it is HAL and San Diego.

Rotterdam IV and South Pacific here we come.

Considering Zuiderdam in a few months. Last 4 cruises have been on Princess, prior 4 were NCL also cruised RCI, Costa and CCL. We're a 50ish couple who enjoy active days and typically relaxing/laid back evenings. What can we expect?

Thanks

ok we are like you we switch around and have taken all the same lines that you have , did 1st HAL cruise in 30 years last year on Westerdam (sister ship ) and will be in Zuiderdam next month. There is not as much to do durring the day on Hal it is a laid back line in general, but service is very good and MDR food is also very good, ships are a little less crowded and never have a problem getting seats for a show. Also if you like wine Hal does not limit the amount of wine that you can bring on board ( they do charge a 18 dollar corkage if you drink in in a public room/dinning room). Also cabins seem bigger in general.

Also if you like wine Hal does not limit the amount of wine that you can bring on board ( they do charge a 18 dollar corkage if you drink in in a public room/dinning room). Also cabins seem bigger in general.

Celebrity will allow you to bring on only 2 bottles of wine per person at embarkation but they charge $25 corkage fee in the MDR.:eek:

Last month you posted: Why are you still harping on our dress code? HAL is not NCL. Most of us dress up for dinner. You have never sailed HAL, and have nothing to offer this OP.

my comment was about this specific board which seems to always be very biased and not objective in comments from long term HAL cruises---very little information about the ships, menus etc as compared to other boards--which other posters have commented on this on the board recently---also HAL roll calls seem to be very light compared to other cruise lines where the roll can have meet and greets with 140-150 people.

BG

Archived