What makes HAL different from Princess, NCL and RCI?

michigan tim

No constant, loud PA announcements!! Just one short update at Noon from the Captain re location and weather.

The library [especially on the Noordam]! Beautiful, quiet place to hang out, play games, etc.

The Pinnacle Grill!

The home made ice cream, the raisin buns, etc., etc.

The cold washcloths when re-boarding the ship - oh so refreshing!

The classy decor of the ships.

The friendliness and pleasant demeanor of the fellow passengers.

The lack of noisy, unattended kids. [Although on our last cruise, the Captain had to threaten to have some of the teens put off the ship for causing damage and disturbing others!]

Last month you posted: Why are you still harping on our dress code? HAL is not NCL. Most of us dress up for dinner. You have never sailed HAL, and have nothing to offer this OP.

Candy watch what your say about BG, the CC hosts protect this guy who acts like an expert on HAL and has never taken any HAL cruise. I suspect he is a plant from HAL competition who tries his best to disparage HAL and its traditions. I know first hand any criticism of BG will get your post pulled by the CC Hosts:eek:

Candy watch what your say about BG, the CC hosts protect this guy who acts like an expert on HAL and has never taken any HAL cruise. I suspect he is a plant from HAL competition who tries his best to disparage HAL and its traditions. I know first hand any criticism of BG will get your post pulled by the CC Hosts:eek:

Not true--some of my posts have been pulled--all I am after is information that is objective and non biased---I know I will get very little of that on this board.

So I will write an objective and non biased review of my Hal cruise comparing it to NCL and Carnival--I hope HAL comes out ahead-I would like to read facts on this board and not someone's opinion especially in the dress code area.

A couple of areas HAL is far ahead in are the wine allowance to bring on board and the bar set up prices. The suite amenities package is also I nice feature for purchase. So I will wait anxiously until I cruise and make my comparison.

BG

Not true--some of my posts have been pulled--all I am after is information that is objective and non biased---I know I will get very little of that on this board.

So I will write an objective and non biased review of my Hal cruise comparing it to NCL and Carnival--I hope HAL comes out ahead-I would like to read facts on this board and not someone's opinion especially in the dress code area.

A couple of areas HAL is far ahead in are the wine allowance to bring on board and the bar set up prices. The suite amenities package is also I nice feature for purchase. So I will wait anxiously until I cruise and make my comparison.

BG

So please do us all a favor and stay off this board until you have some first hand knowledge about HAL as you add nothing other than criticism of HAL and its customers who post here.

We've been on Princess, Costa, and NCL. For the past couple of years we've cruised only HAL so my opinions may be outdated.

On our last Princess Cruise the staff seemed tired, smiles and greetings in the hallways were rare. We had a noisy cabin over the speakers in the disco, and just never have gotten around to cruising with them again.

We've cruised Costa from Italian ports and have enjoyed the international clientele, and the announcements in many languages. We felt their port information was weak and amounted to little more than where the ship recommended shopping. We would cruise with them in the Mediterranean again.

We've cruised with NCL probably the most of any other line. In our opinion NCL has become a two class cruise line. It's considerably nicer in the suites than a regular cabin. In a regular cabin there are issues with chair hogs at the pool, seat savers in the theater, lines to get tender tickets, then lines to get on and off the ship, and everywhere there is someone offering to sell you something. The meals were adequate in the main dining room, but certainly not special. The suites are nicely done and many have a separate bedroom. There is an alternative dining room available for suite passengers for lunch. There are reserved areas in the theater and early tendering in ports. In their Courtyard Suites there is even a private pool area. There is a different room service menu. While suite passengers have Butler service this sometimes works out better in theory than in practice if your butler is unavailable when you'd like something.

We like the corner aft suites on HAL's Vista ships; the Oosterdam, Westerdam, Noordam, and Zuiderdam. The cabin is not as large as other suites, but we've never had a verandah that gives us as much space for ourselves, or to invite people in. Aside from the suite perks there are many things we enjoy that are available to everyone onboard: We like being able to bring wine and sodas on board and being able to order liquor for our cabin at reasonable prices. We love the room service menu and being able to order any meal served in the main dining room during dining room hours. IMO, the meals in the Main Dining Room have been good to excellent, and always attractively served. We rarely use the specialty dining room during our cruises. We like the fresh flowers on board. HAL cruisers tend to be more seasoned and well-traveled than on some of the other lines. The beds are comfortable, and best of all there are several types of pillows available. There isn't the same amount of yelling at the pool, and I've never seen someone 'save' more than 3 seats in the theater. We enjoy the relative calm of HAL.

So please do us all a favor and stay off this board until you have some first hand knowledge about HAL as you add nothing other than criticism of HAL and its customers who post here.

will not happen---suggest you tone it down--questions should be welcomed on this board--not comments like why do you need the menus--jeans are not allowed in the MDR when in fact they are---etc etc---this board is so full of misinformation that it makes me wonder how HAL attracts new cruisers after they read this board.

BG

We've been on Princess, Costa, and NCL. For the past couple of years we've cruised only HAL so my opinions may be outdated.

On our last Princess Cruise the staff seemed tired, smiles and greetings in the hallways were rare. We had a noisy cabin over the speakers in the disco, and just never have gotten around to cruising with them again.

We've cruised Costa from Italian ports and have enjoyed the international clientele, and the announcements in many languages. We felt their port information was weak and amounted to little more than where the ship recommended shopping. We would cruise with them in the Mediterranean again.

We've cruised with NCL probably the most of any other line. In our opinion NCL has become a two class cruise line. It's considerably nicer in the suites than a regular cabin. In a regular cabin there are issues with chair hogs at the pool, seat savers in the theater, lines to get tender tickets, then lines to get on and off the ship, and everywhere there is someone offering to sell you something. The meals were adequate in the main dining room, but certainly not special. The suites are nicely done and many have a separate bedroom. There is an alternative dining room available for suite passengers for lunch. There are reserved areas in the theater and early tendering in ports. In their Courtyard Suites there is even a private pool area. There is a different room service menu. While suite passengers have Butler service this sometimes works out better in theory than in practice if your butler is unavailable when you'd like something.

We like the corner aft suites on HAL's Vista ships; the Oosterdam, Westerdam, Noordam, and Zuiderdam. The cabin is not as large as other suites, but we've never had a verandah that gives us as much space for ourselves, or to invite people in. Aside from the suite perks there are many things we enjoy that are available to everyone onboard: We like being able to bring wine and sodas on board and being able to order liquor for our cabin at reasonable prices. We love the room service menu and being able to order any meal served in the main dining room during dining room hours. IMO, the meals in the Main Dining Room have been good to excellent, and always attractively served. We rarely use the specialty dining room during our cruises. We like the fresh flowers on board. HAL cruisers tend to be more seasoned and well-traveled than on some of the other lines. The beds are comfortable, and best of all there are several types of pillows available. There isn't the same amount of yelling at the pool, and I've never seem someone 'save' more than 3 seats in the theater. We enjoy the relative calm of HAL.

Cheryl,

Great post and I have to agree with you. We have been on Celebrity, Carnival and RCCL and HAL is our favorite even though IMO HAL has come down some in quality in the last couple of years. In the mass cruise market HAL has the largest and best Veranda class of cabins with the most amenities. On RCCL we got upgraded to what they call a junior balcony suite which was nowhere as large or nice as the standard veranda HAL cabins. The Celebrity veranda cabins are also smaller and not as nice as HAL too.

So I will write an objective and non biased review of my Hal cruise comparing it to NCL and Carnival--I hope HAL comes out ahead-..............

BG

Stop right there. Cognitive dissonance. Cognitive dissonance. Cognitive dissonance ..... ....:eek:

will not happen---suggest you tone it down--questions should be welcomed on this board--not comments like why do you need the menus--jeans are not allowed in the MDR when in fact they are---etc etc---this board is so full of misinformation that it makes me wonder how HAL attracts new cruisers after they read this board.

BG

Again I ask respectfully that you stop posting in this board until such time as you have first hand knowledge about cruising on HAL. How can you determine that any information posted here is misinformation when you HAVE NEVER CRUISED ON ANY HAL CRUISE. In your mind it may be misinformation only because you do not agree with HAL traditions and the information posted by those of us who actually been on a HAL cruise. If the CC hosts wish to pull my post then I also ask they also ban you from posting on any HAL thread in the future, but again I suspect the hosts will protect you.

Again I ask respectfully that you stop posting in this board until such time as you have first hand knowledge about cruising on HAL. How can you determine that any information posted here is misinformation when you HAVE NEVER CRUISED ON ANY HAL CRUISE. In your mind it may be misinformation only because you do not agree with HAL traditions and the information posted by those of us who actually been on a HAL cruise. If the CC hosts wish to pull my post then I also ask they also ban you from posting on any HAL thread in the future, but again I suspect the hosts will protect you.

Thank you for being so nice to a new HAL cruiser--I compare what is on HALs website with comments here and to reviews posted. I have also called HAL customer service to verify items like jeans in the MDR.

BG

Thank you to those that managed to to provide tangible information.

The HAL brand sounds like it may be a fine fit for us, however, the manner in which this thread has deteriorated into a volley of personal assaults now has me questioning the quality/character of the HAL clientele.

I really like the Culinary Arts Center, music in many more venues than I have found on other cruise lines, more mature entertainment. Granted there are a lot of really old people, scooters, walkers, etc but that made it all the more better. Never a fight for a pool deck chair, ship was mine to roam around at night after they went to bed, those of us that liked to party had lots of room to do so. More activities that didn't cost extra like the afternoon teas, computer classes with a Microsoft trained tech, the great library, the person on the Explorations team that talked about the ports (not the excursion person). So much I love about HAL

We just returned from a Mediterranean cruise on HAL. Our favorite cruise line!

There was one 70' ish woman on a scooter, & one woman in a wheelchair who was younger than me! The rest were anywhere from 45-75 & seemed quite able-bodied.

There were five very well-behaved children, & two teen-agers.

Perhaps this differs from the age demographics that you are speaking about as "really old"! Maybe only when compared to Carnival!

This is what's really nice about HAL & differs from other lines...... it attracts a "Slightly", not "Really" older cruiser. A cruiser who is looking for a upscale trip with like-minded fellow travelers, with no fighting over deck chairs, and unruly hordes of kids. Good food, decent fares, and superior and friendly service. Our excursions, though pricey, were excellent.

The HAL brand sounds like it may be a fine fit for us, however, the manner in which this thread has deteriorated into a volley of personal assaults now has me questioning the quality/character of the HAL clientele.

The occasional "cat-fight" found on this and other boards has nothing to do with the general character of those actually cruising. It is generally best to ignore the "internet tough-guy".

If CC forum "manners" were the only criteria for choosing a cruise line, Crystal Cruises would have filed for bankruptcy years ago! :p I had the same feeling about them before I sailed and it took a long time and two cruises to get past my negative early CC Crystal forum experiences. Now that forum is ruled by such an iron fist, they ban posters for life if they dare utter even the most minor complaint.

Tim,

Please keep in mind that the posters on CC are just a minority of the passengers on HAL.

Don't judge the line or your potential cruise on a few who are bickering between each other.

We have only sailed on HAL and enjoy the experience that it has shown us -- when we board the ship, we feel like we are coming home

Hi- What we like about HAL, as compared to (4) other cruise lines, is the relaxed atmosphere.

We also like the quality of food in the Main Dining Room and Lido Buffet. This is subjective, but we like the set-up of the buffet and the menu choices on HAL.

In our experience, fellow cruisers on HAL have been quite polite and friendly.

Considering Zuiderdam in a few months. Last 4 cruises have been on Princess, prior 4 were NCL also cruised RCI, Costa and CCL. We're a 50ish couple who enjoy active days and typically relaxing/laid back evenings. What can we expect?

Thanks

Hal is more old fashion cruise line. Not too much of activities in evenings I would say.Good food ,good service (if you dont get our room stuart LOL) empty pools with planty of chairs :) Lots of deals for drinks plus you can bring your own in any port. HAL population is more over 50 so its hard to finde drunk people and not to much smokers like on CCL:p.Deffently more upscale than NCL:eek:

This boards adverse opinions on dinner dress on non formal nights--

soon I will find out if it just the dress code police trying to sway or intimate people in dressing like they want the norm to be.

BG

I can insure you one thing you will not find people on HAl dressed up like on NCL .If you have problem with dress code just stay with NCL

Michigan Tim, Please don't let the catfights on the boards sway your opinion on what the HAL clientele is like. I have sailed more times on NCL than I have on HAL but I have never met anyone on either line that was anything like the arguements you see on these boards. If you go on the NCL board, the Celebrity Board, and the Princess board, or the RCI board, you are going to see the same arguements and the same loyal customer standing up for their preferred cruise line. NCL and HAL are different, HAL is the more formal cruise experience, NCL the more laid back. I enjoy both and I just adapt to whichever line I am sailing with out of respect for my fellow cruisers. It is what is important to you as this is your trip, so please don't let an NCL cheerleader fighting with a HAL cheerleader sway your choice. I am not saying that the cheerleaders are wrong because they all want to support their favorite cruise line. My favorite cruise line is the one I happen to be on at the time, because I am on vacation, and I am going to relax and enjoy myself. Happy Sailing whichever line you pick.

Michigan Tim, Please don't let the catfights on the boards sway your opinion on what the HAL clientele is like. I have sailed more times on NCL than I have on HAL but I have never met anyone on either line that was anything like the arguements you see on these boards. If you go on the NCL board, the Celebrity Board, and the Princess board, or the RCI board, you are going to see the same arguements and the same loyal customer standing up for their preferred cruise line. NCL and HAL are different, HAL is the more formal cruise experience, NCL the more laid back. I enjoy both and I just adapt to whichever line I am sailing with out of respect for my fellow cruisers. It is what is important to you as this is your trip, so please don't let an NCL cheerleader fighting with a HAL cheerleader sway your choice. I am not saying that the cheerleaders are wrong because they all want to support their favorite cruise line. My favorite cruise line is the one I happen to be on at the time, because I am on vacation, and I am going to relax and enjoy myself. Happy Sailing whichever line you pick.

What a lovely post! :) I've been rather annoyed at all the catfights, too.

Those personal assaults attacking other posters reveal more about the person doing the criticizing than they do about the one being criticized.

I think you will find that the quality/character of HAL clientele can vary widely, just as on any other cruise line.

As passengers who have enjoyed cruising on a number of different cruise lines, including HAL, in general we find it best to take the comments of the cheerleaders who list only positives and of the detractors who list only negatives with a grain of salt, regardless of which cruise line is being described.

It does sound like we were on different cruise. I'm thinking that the difference may be that you were on a Mediterranean cruise and the ones that I have taken with HAL have been Caribbean and the Panama Canal. We had a lot of snowbirds as well as residents of Florida. We did see numerous scooters, wheelchairs and walkers. I am not a Carnival fan at all - not of that demographic. I am 59 years old so to me really old upper 70's and up. I'm sure as I age what is really old to change as well! Then it will be 80's and 90's :) I hope that I did convey that I do love HAL and it is my favorite though a very close second is Celebrity merely because the median age was 55 on the cruise I just took last month. For me I prefer not to cruise RCC or Carnival.

I have sailed on all the mass market lines and to be honest I have a great time on all. I pick based on literary and price. As far as HAL goes I feel they try to provide a more traditional type of experience, have the best non suite staterooms and are not child friendly. We are going with them in April and I am sure we will have a good time.

I am sorry if I am the one who offended anyone by questioning another poster who has been posting in this board for weeks mostly critical of HAL. This person has no prior experience with cruising on HAL and he posts to threads like this when he has no HAL experience and the OP wants to know why HAL is different from other cruise lines. This poster, I aggressively answered has been critical of the written dress code for HAL, has asked why a tie should be worn on formal nights and has even suggested he will see if he can get away without one on a future HAL cruise. He wants to wear jeans on non formal nights in the MDR something that yes is permitted now by HAL but was prohibited just a couple of years ago. He has stated that on formal night he will change into casual clothes and even shorts to roam the ship the rest of the night. He opposed in another thread HAL's Mariner Society perks of closing the MDR one day for the Mariner lunch and the Mariner only MDR lunch on the day of embarkation he stated this is not a fair way to welcome first time HAL passengers. IMO this guy wants HAL to be more like NCL with freestyle cruising and total casual dress codes. He has posted with criticism of all the things IMO that make HAL better and different than other mass market cruise lines. The more formal atmosphere aboard HAL and the Mariner perks are 2 of those things that set HAL apart from their competition.

I have been a CC member for 10 years and I have seen guys like this from other boards who get their jollys from criticizing HAL and its loyal members who post here on a regular basis. He claims that he is a new HAL customer and we are not making him feel "welcome" and yes I did ask him to not post in this forum about cruising with HAL until such time as he could speak from experience. I just could not hold my pen any longer. I also question whether he really is booked on a future HAL cruise because if so dislikes the way HAL operates why go on a cruise that doesn't meet his lifestyle.

Archived