What makes HAL different from Princess, NCL and RCI?

michigan tim

Was on the Zuiderdam in Nov. 2009 on the partial transit of Panama Canal. Really enjoyed the trip and the ship. One difference from my experience - the aft pool was always packed. Could not find a seat at any time. The indoor pool, which I enjoy more (not a sun worshipper) has mostly tables and chairs and just a few loungers around the pool. Did not really bother us too much though. I loved the nachoes and cheese at the indoor pool so was usually eating anyway. Also passengers were of all ages, except saw no children, I would say the sun loungers were mostly 30's to 50's. Loved the Zuiderdam but also love the Radiance ships (RCL). Was on the Celebrity Equinox last January and FELL IN LOVE with it. So beautiful, well laid out, great staff, etc, etc, etc. My favorites would be Radiance, Celebrity, and HAL in no particular order.

I am sorry if I am the one who offended anyone by questioning another poster who has been posting in this board for weeks mostly critical of HAL.

Don't worry about it. There's a big difference between a noobie asking questions and giving answers as if he really knows.

Don't worry about it. There's a big difference between a noobie asking questions and giving answers as if he really knows.

Thank you Ruth, your opinions and knowledge about cruising and HAL I have really respected over the years.

I am sorry if I am the one who offended anyone by questioning another poster who has been posting in this board for weeks mostly critical of HAL. This person has no prior experience with cruising on HAL and he posts to threads like this when he has no HAL experience and the OP wants to know why HAL is different from other cruise lines. This poster, I aggressively answered has been critical of the written dress code for HAL, has asked why a tie should be worn on formal nights and has even suggested he will see if he can get away without one on a future HAL cruise. He wants to wear jeans on non formal nights in the MDR something that yes is permitted now by HAL but was prohibited just a couple of years ago. He has stated that on formal night he will change into casual clothes and even shorts to roam the ship the rest of the night. He opposed in another thread HAL's Mariner Society perks of closing the MDR one day for the Mariner lunch and the Mariner only MDR lunch on the day of embarkation he stated this is not a fair way to welcome first time HAL passengers. IMO this guy wants HAL to be more like NCL with freestyle cruising and total casual dress codes. He has posted with criticism of all the things IMO that make HAL better and different than other mass market cruise lines. The more formal atmosphere aboard HAL and the Mariner perks are 2 of those things that set HAL apart from their competition.

I have been a CC member for 10 years and I have seen guys like this from other boards who get their jollys from criticizing HAL and its loyal members who post here on a regular basis. He claims that he is a new HAL customer and we are not making him feel "welcome" and yes I did ask him to not post in this forum about cruising with HAL until such time as he could speak from experience. I just could not hold my pen any longer. I also question whether he really is booked on a future HAL cruise because if so dislikes the way HAL operates why go on a cruise that doesn't meet his lifestyle.

I assure you I am booked on a HAL cruise on Dec.10 -my questions where for information as opinions on this board in many areas differ from the policy statements on HALs website and information received from their customer service department--please get off my case--put me on your ignore list so you do not read my posts with questions.

BG

Hi,

We have sailed Princess 3 times and Hal once with the second coming this Feb to Hawaii on the Oosterdam. We were on the Zuiderdam to Alaska (See our blog below for tons of photos) We loved the Lido and found the food choices and quality to be far superior to Princess. On the Golden, their Lido food was really awful and dining room not much better. We also love the Thermal Suite on the Zuiderdam and are really looking forward to it on the Oosterdam.

Yes, the passengers are much older (we are in our 50's) but it makes for interesting stories if you take the time to chat with someone next to you. I think this will be come the norm with a huge aging baby boomer population.

The crew on the Zuiderdam was AMAZING! They all seemed to really be enjoying what they do even when they were dog tired. Our Golden experience was ok, but nothing really stood out as being amazing about the crew.

I give them major kudos for managing to do the job with smiles and a zombie like glaze in their eyes while catching mini cat naps standing up with their eyes open! That is one of the most demanding jobs anyone could have. I like to thank the crew in their language and see the surprise on their faces when they realize what they just heard. Then the smiles and laughter is contagious with those around them.

If you have any questions about our blog, just email!

You will have a wonderful time.

Lin

Here are just a few of the things we like about HAL vs the other lines:

Breakfast room service - much more extensive including made to order omelettes

Room service (dinner) - can order anything from the dining room menu during dining room hours

No limit on the amount of wine we can bring on board

Happy hour

free Hot hor d'oeuvres served in the bar before dinner

free shoe shine

dvd's delivered to your door free of charge

free computer classes

free cooking classes

None of these items in and of themselves make or break our trip. However, when you combine all the little extras they add up and make HAL a different experience than the other lines.

There is a difference between Princess and Hal when it comes to balcony cabins for 3 pax. On Princess the extra bed came from the ceiling. (my daughter called it the toaster because it was always hot and stuffy up there) and on Hal we had a pull out couch. Also my mother likes the fact that there is a bathtub in the Hal bathroom and only a shower on Princess.

The reasons why I think HAL is the best are: 1) it is known as a luxury boat for seniors. Seniors are known to want the best, and they will ask for the BEST. If things aren't right, they will make it right. Therefore, they have paved the road for us babyboomers to enjoy the cruiselines now. My generation are pre-seniors and it's our turn to have fun on this cruise line. We won't have to moan much because the road has been paved for us.

The hallways are quiet by 12 p.m. You don't hear the party folks running up and down the hallways. People are polite. It's a different clientele compared to NCL, RCaribbean, or Carnival.

I knew it was different the minute I saw them offering quick classes on computers, photography, and needlepoint. Their library was stocked with books, games, newspapers and loads of magazines.

I relax when I cruise. I don't need the crying, screaming kids in the pool or teenagers running up and down the hallways. HL is screamingly a cool place to relax. Young cruisers who like low key cruising; this is it!

Plus, they have great ice cream!

The reasons why I think HAL is the best are: 1) it is known as a luxury boat for seniors. Seniors are known to want the best, and they will ask for the BEST. If things aren't right, they will make it right. Therefore, they have paved the road for us babyboomers to enjoy the cruiselines now. My generation are pre-seniors and it's our turn to have fun on this cruise line. We won't have to moan much because the road has been paved for us.

The hallways are quiet by 12 p.m. You don't hear the party folks running up and down the hallways. People are polite. It's a different clientele compared to NCL, RCaribbean, or Carnival.

I knew it was different the minute I saw them offering quick classes on computers, photography, and needlepoint. Their library was stocked with books, games, newspapers and loads of magazines.

I relax when I cruise. I don't need the crying, screaming kids in the pool or teenagers running up and down the hallways. HL is screamingly a cool place to relax. Young cruisers who like low key cruising; this is it!

As a newly minted senior, I acknowledge your eloquently put accolades and I concur with the points you make regarding what distinquishes HAL cruises. Thanks for your comments!:)

As a senior I have to agree, we do like and appreciate the best but we do not like paying exorbitant prices for the best. That is why we like HAL, they are so competitively priced with the other mass marketed cruise lines so we get the best without paying much more.:D

I would like to add that HAL is actually lovely for traveling with children. We took our first HAL family cruise this past February on the Eurodam, went again on the Maasdam, and have the Zuiderdam Panama Canal and a European Eurodam cruise booked.

Because there are fewer kids, the ones that are aboard get a lot of attention. My son loves the kids' club. Perhaps there is a perception of no kids aboard because they are happily occupied.

There do NOT seem to be groups of unaccompanied kids/teens like I have seen on other lines.

Since everyone is now a star in their very home movies via Youtube, you can easily scan the net for candid videos from all these ships that go well beyond their glossy marketing brochures. Well beyond in some cases. Just google for youtube with each of these cruise line names and you can get a flavor of life on board and the fun bunches that give each line their own unique signature.

I don't know why so many people here knock NCL?? I really enjoyed the Jade and didn't see any drunks or kids running around. I would say it's pretty much on a par with HAL and would go so far as to say desserts are MUCH better. I would say about 50% of the passengers chose "formal".

Maybe things are different in the Caribbean, if so I'll find out in 2 weeks.

Princess - didn't rate them at all. No replenishing of desserts (love my desserts:D), very poorly laid out buffet with insufficient seating.

RCI - didn't rate them either. Hated the knobbly knees and belly flop contests, hated the reggae music constantly played on deck far too loudly. Dirty glasses and cups were left outside and still there next morning, dirty!! We were on the Vision and I did like the lay out of the ship and decor with lots of glass so you could see the sea from many parts of the ship.

I'll be trying Costa in March which I'm guessing will be a totally different experience but really looking forward to it.

Since everyone is now a star in their very home movies via Youtube, you can easily scan the net for candid videos from all these ships that go well beyond their glossy marketing brochures. Well beyond in some cases. Just google for youtube with each of these cruise line names and you can get a flavor of life on board and the fun bunches that give each line their own unique signature.

Here's my clip of the Coral Princess!:)

Enjoy

Archived