Back from our first Seabourn cruise

Bounce

We are back from our first Seabourn cruise on the Spirit. Some of my thoughts: Chocolate - never ran out; Wine - I very much liked everything served but I am not an expert; Food - on a whole, best we have ever had on a ship; Service - except for room steward, best we have ever had on a ship (we were called by name - very refreshing; asked if we would like to sit at our usual table; not only did staff remember what we liked to eat/drink, they suggested other items to try based on that). We never felt crowded, pushed. We were able to order food at the SeaBar from the room service menu (and, by the way, room service was also the best we've experienced). We asked if a special dessert would be served during the cruise - soon someone was at our table asking if they might serve it to us the following evening!

Not a cruise for rock climbers or carnival rides --- but quiet, dignified, stress-free - lovely. The entire experience can be summed up with "a very personal, excellent experience".

By the way, we had drinks and dinner with wonderful people we met on Cruise Critic - just the cherry on our sundae.

We are going on our first Seabourn cruise next month for 21 days on the Odyssey and are hoping to have the same great experience you had.

You seemed to allude to some problem with your cabin steward. Would you be willing to elaborate on what caused you to exclude him from your best service ever?

Thanks and have a great next cruise.

and I am concerned about the Cabin Steward situation too. We are accustomed to a butler but we heard that Seabourn's room stewards were soooo very good that they replaced the need for a butler! Tell me your situation was an anomaly! Hope so.

We are also used to a Butler and thought the room steward on Seabourn would equal that service. I'm really not sure if it was the fault of the room steward or assigned overwork by Seabourn, but we never saw her. We had to write a note to ask for something as simple as more face soap. It was not that we were wanting for anything huge, the room was spotless .... it just was that "personal" service was not there and not equal to what we have experienced on other ships (even the sails we did not have a Butler). With that being said, believe me, it was minor since everyone else was top notch.

I want to be fair and wonder if someone got sick and staff had to take on more rooms. Then it is understandable - things do go wrong in life and on any ship.

We had a butler on Silvesea last year. We were not impressed. We found our stews much more efficient. Butler was rarely to be found. He came in at the most inopportune times - WITHOUT WARNING. Yiccch.

I am accustomed to the butler taking care of reservations in specialty restaurants. However, this Seabourn is small and I guess that won't be an issue, although I am foggy about how you do book "the other" restaurant! I will get a crash course, I am sure, LOL. I am upbeat...so I think all will be well. Leaving notes is easy for me. I have post-its and I show them the first day where all my notes will be!! It works!

Generally, the less I see of my room steward the better I like it. Neither have I ever felt the need for Butler service. So long as I know how and where to make any reservations or get new supplies then that is all I need.

We are in total agreement with you. On SS we had the butler service..and were not impressed. We have had wonderful suite stewards on SB..only once did we have a bad one..and received the info that others had problems with her as well. SO, you cannot let one person form your opinion. Like you..all we want is for the suite to be done probperly..seeing her has nothing to do with it. Yes, we have asked for soap or sodas on occasion...not a biggy. These young people work so hard and have long days. Bounce..your report was great..so glad that you found the SB experience top drawer. With some of our recent critics..I was wondering.

We just got off the Odyssey. The entire crew was very friendly and our Cabin Steward was Fabulous!. She greeted us right away. Show us around our cabin. Told us if we needed anything it would be her pleasure. We left a sticky note one day requesting extra water as we drink a lot of water. She left us half a dozen bottles of different types and sizes. When we would from our tours she welcomed us back and asked if we had a nice day. Our room was spotless. When we would go down the hall for dinner, the other stewards would all greet us with smiles and a "good evening" or hello. We have been on several other ships which we enjoyed, however Seabourn is unique and more special in every way. Enjoy your cruise.

Noitacav...it's so nice to read your post. My wife and I will be on our first cruise ever on Odyssey in late November. Our only concern is that service on Odyssey will spoil us for any other cruise ship! :)

Noitacav...it's so nice to read your post. My wife and I will be on our first cruise ever on Odyssey in late November. Our only concern is that service on Odyssey will spoil us for any other cruise ship! :)

It probably will. It is a burden that you will have to bear. Champagne makes it easier :D:D

We are back from our first Seabourn cruise on the Spirit. Some of my thoughts: Chocolate - never ran out; Wine - I very much liked everything served but I am not an expert; Food - on a whole, best we have ever had on a ship; Service - except for room steward, best we have ever had on a ship (we were called by name - very refreshing; asked if we would like to sit at our usual table; not only did staff remember what we liked to eat/drink, they suggested other items to try based on that). We never felt crowded, pushed. We were able to order food at the SeaBar from the room service menu (and, by the way, room service was also the best we've experienced). We asked if a special dessert would be served during the cruise - soon someone was at our table asking if they might serve it to us the following evening!

Not a cruise for rock climbers or carnival rides --- but quiet, dignified, stress-free - lovely. The entire experience can be summed up with "a very personal, excellent experience".

By the way, we had drinks and dinner with wonderful people we met on Cruise Critic - just the cherry on our sundae.

Great well balanced review...thanks for sharing!;)

• 2 weeks later...

We'll be on our first Seabourn cruise in April (on the Odyssey), directly following a TA on Oceania's new Marina. Should be an interesting comparison. Looking forward to both! Glad to read the very positive report from Bounce.

We were on the Silver Spirit for her maiden crossing nearly 2 years ago. Granted, it was only her 2nd voyage, but for the crew, it was very much "on the job training"! Services lapses were numerous throughout the voyage. We haven't been back to Silversea since, tho Silversea "regulars" told us the service on that ship was not typical of the rest of the fleet. Sure hope they've got their act together!

We've been pleased with service on Crystal, Regent, and Azamara; tho we haven't been back to Crystal since we "discovered" anytime dining!

I'm so glad that your voyage went so well.That's Seabourn for you! It's been over a year since my sailing and I miss it greatly. From Captain Geire-Arne's accessibility and humor, Barry Hopkin's excellent cruise directorship (never such a word been used, eh :P ) and warmth, the crew which made you feel like family. The beautiful Odyssey, what a wonderful ship she is.

We had paid in full for a Seabourn Spirit cruise this year before being forced to cancel as my father had to go Stateside. Ended up on HAL which is a fine cruise line with great value but just not Seabourn. Next year can't do Seabourn again due to age restrictions- me and a friend are travelling alone to celebrate the end of 18 years here in Bahrain before parting our own ways. Heavily considering Silversea's Silver Spirit but something tells me deep down that it just isn't Seabourn.

I wish you many great days at sea yet to come !

Archived