I tried a search...came up with zilch~Philly hotels?

Lois R

:) Hi, I need some feedback on Philly hotels please. I am sailing in Sept. Is the best area Center City? I have used priceline for FLL but this will be my first time sailing out of Philadelphia. How are the zones broken down? Or would I be better off just going through Orbitz or the hotels directly?

Any help would be appreciated:) I don't want to spend a fortune for one night but don't want a dive either.

Recommendations please:D

Lois,

Center City tends to be the best area in Philly.

Not sure of the priceline zones. You may want to check biddingfortravel for some advise.

The Marriott Center City is nice. The Doubletree is good as well as the Embassy Suites.

If you are a non smoker the Sheraton Rittenhouse Square is great.

Hope this helps.

mcboo:)

Lois-Center City is your best bet. Philly is a great city. Do you use biddingfortravel? We usually get Hyatt at Penns Landing (think its a 4*)for $55-65. Right on the Delaware close to South St.

Harry

I would go for a hotel close to South Street around Penn's Landing. Walking down South Street is one of my favorite things to do when I visit Philly.

There is a Hampton Inn on the River, at Race street.

If you are not interested in seeing the City, but just staying in a hotel over night you can get one closer to the port.

Check out price line. Hotels can be $$$ in Philly.

Here is the link to philly cruise port. There is some good info here. Click on the Visit Philly tab. There are some hotels listed by area.

http://cruisephilly.org/

Hi Gizmo:) I checked out CruisePhilly.org and they have the Hampton Inn as one of their hotels. I spoke with a nice lady (she is in Maine) but told me they have an office in Philly. She is going to find some first hand information for me.

Maybe you can answer this.....is the Hampton a decent place? It is 93.00 including free breakfast. Total is 106.00. It looks like it is in a great location too:)

Hi Lois,

I got to thinking about this. When I mentioned the Hampton, I was picturing another hotel that sits on the Delaware River. I think it might have been a Comfort Inn at one time. Sorry about that ! :o It has been awhile since I have been back up there. I was born and raised in Philly.

Are you looking to do some site seeing or do you just need a hotel for the night? There are tons of hotels in Philly.

The Holiday Inn at Arch Street is near some of the historical things.

One thing to remember, when staying in the city, it can be noisey with the traffic.

As far as Hampton's go they are ok. I have stayed in a couple of them.

I just looked up the Hampton on Race street. It is in Center City, not near Penn's Landing.

Pennsylvania Convention Center - 1 block

Reading Terminal Market - 2 blocks

The Gallery Mall - 2 blocks

Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts - 3 blocks

City Hall - 3 blocks

Rittenhouse Square - 0.5 miles

Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts - 0.5 miles

Independence Visitors Center - 1 mile

Liberty Bell - 1 mile

National Constitution Center - 1 mile

Independence Hall - 1 mile

Philadelphia Museum of Art - 1.5 miles

Philadelphia International Airport (PHL): Approximate driving time is 18 minutes and distance is 8 miles.

Directions from Philadelphia International Airport: From Airport Exit, turn right on Industrial Hwy and continue on Penrose Ave. Turn left on S 26th St, and follow signs to take I-76 west. Take I-676 east and exit to Broad St/Central Philadelphia. Bear left toward the Convention Center, then turn right on Broad St. Turn left on Race St.

Getting there: The best option from the airport is Lady Liberty shuttle ($5–$15), which serves several area hotels. Taxis ($16–$25) are also available. (All fees subject to change without notice.) Getting around: There are several attractions within a short walk of the hotel. For other destinations around town, the SEPTA subway (less than $5) and taxis are both good options. SEPTA commuter rail ($5–$15) is a good choice for destinations outside the downtown core. (All fees subject to change without notice.)

Gizmo:) thank you so much for all that information! I booked the Hampton...and I have up till 3 days prior to my stay to cancel without penalty. So, If something better should show up I can always do that one.

I did want to be sort of centrally located and Hampton seems to be right there.

Thanks again for everything:D

My concern for you in where this Hampton Inn is located? If its the one located on Bristol Pike it will cost you a fortune for a cab ride to the Cruise terminal.

I am from Phila. Work downtown so maybe I can help ya out a little better.

Hi again, ya'll have been great.....I found the Wyndham Franklin Plaza~AAA rate is 84.00 + taxes=95.76. I am booking that one instead:D Less $$$ than the Hampton Inn and it looks really nice too!!!

Thanks again:)

Hi Serene:) thanks for the tip! I may try that but will keep this for now. The one thing about booking directly through the hotel is you can cancel without penalty.

Hi:) thanks, I checked out that website from work today;). Excellent information:D

But the AAA rate at the Wyndham beat any of the prices of the hotels I clicked on~

Most were over 100.00 (in Center City). Actually they were closer to 125.00. I am quite happy with 84.00.

Maybe when it gets closer to September I will try Priceline.

Looking for some help from the Philly folks -- We're driving from Harrisburg to catch an early flight from PHL to SJU. I'm not comfortable leaving at 4 in the morning from Hbg in case something happens (as it always does) on the turnpike or the Schuylkill. Should we stay at the Holiday Inn at the airport where we can park for free for the week (unsecured lot), or stay at a nicer hotel and park the car at a secure airport park-and-ride lot? $ not a big concern. We're with my elderly parents and I just want a smooth take-off that morning. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Lois,

I been thinking about this again. If you are looking to save $$, think about the cab fare.

If you stay at an airport hotel, you would only have cab fare to the Navy Yard.

I think there is a fairly new complex at the airport with hotels. (Someone living in Philly could verify this.)

If you stay anywhere in Center City you will probably have to pay the cab fare to the hotel and then to the Navy Yard. This could really add up. :eek:

Gizmo:) thanks for giving me more to mull over:eek: ;). If I stay at the airport then I still have to get to Center City for sightseeing. I plan on being in Philly for most of the day on Friday and of course Friday evening.

I know they have plenty of Mass Transit but I think I would rather be there and have walkable access to things if that makes sense.

I am going to call the Wyndham and find out if Lady Liberty Shuttle stops there.

Sounds like the shuttle picks up at the airport and drops off at different hotels and is more reasonable than a cab.

Staying at the Wyndham puts you within walking distance froma lot of places.

including the train- which will cost you 2.00 one way if you didnt feel like walking the 10 blocks to the liberty bell, Independence hall, etc. Wyndhamis an excellant location

Staying at the Wyndham puts you within walking distance froma lot of places.

including the train- which will cost you 2.00 one way if you didnt feel like walking the 10 blocks to the liberty bell, Independence hall, etc. Wyndhamis an excellant location

;) Depends on where you are going and how far you want to walk. Walking from 17th street to the historical area (Elfreth's Alley etc) is a long walk !! I would take the subway. I think they now refer to this area as Old City.

I found a couple of great links. Check these out for tours !

http://www.phillyvisitor.com/phillytours.htm

http://www.bigbustours.com/phila/html/phila_our_tours.html

hi again:) wow, those websites are awesome! That Bus Tour looks fun too:)

Thanks for all the information! These boards are wonderful:D

I'm from Philly also and I believe the HYATT on Columbus Blvd (Formally Delaware Avenue) is your best choice. This is especially true if you can get a room for under $100.00 as mentioned above.

1) Short cab ride to Navy Yard using I-95 or Columbus Blvd

2) It on Penns Landing (Beautiful view)

3) At the Chestnut St overpass (A block from the HYATT) you can catch the (FLASH) bus. This is 4.00 a day and goes to all the CC Locations of interest including Art Museum.

Philadelphia Center City is about 8 square miles. 4 Miles East/West (Delaware River to 30th streets and 4 Miles North/South (SpringGarden st to South Street)

Center City is in sections with the dividing streets being Broad Street (divides EAST/WEST. Market street divides (South/North).

Staying at the Hyatt would put you on the eastern most end of Center City. This section is where the Historic district is. You would be in walking distance of most sites. You would also be close to nightclubs on Columbus Blvd or 2nd & Chestnut st area (OLD CITY). Most Theaters are located in the East section to. You would also be a ferry ride from Camdem which has an Aquarium and Ballpark as well as the Battle Ship New Jersey.

I hope this helps

Hi BF Philly:) thanks for the help! I think at this point I am going to stay with the Wyndham though. The Hyatts are usually very nice but I have a friend who stayed there recently and I value her opinion alot. She didn't have a very good experience.

I am sure the Wyndham will be just fine:) I do want to see some things but I doubt I will get in everything you mentioned. I don't think I will have time for a ferry ride, aquarium, and sightseeing. And then to rest up for a good dinner dinner somewhere~whewwww.

But I am looking forward to a fun day and evening:D

Archived