Norwegian Star vs. Norwegian Sun

Stinkybaby

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are planning a cruise in March (the 3rd or 4th). Both the Star and Sun are going on a 7 day western Caribbean. The Star leaves out of Tampa, the Sun leaves out of Port Canaveral. We live in Orlando so either one is fine with us... I really can't decide on which one would be better. The one out of Orlando (sun) goes to the Caymans which I have always wanted to see, but it also goes to great stirrup cay, which we have already been to (although it was nice). But then again, the cave tubing excursion seems really fun in Belize out of tampa! I really really cant decide. Has anyone been on both of these ships? Also, is it better to book excursions with NCL or a third party? I was thinking of booking with travelocity since they offer 15% off excursions.

Have been on both Ships. The Sun in 2006 and Star (last time 2009 before the re-do) I would go with the itinerary you want most, if you don't have a preference . I would choose the Star. Because I thought it was much to get around in and liked the bar areas better. Hope this helps

been on both of them ...Star 5x and going on the Sun for the 3rd time coming up in 5 weeks...i think i would choose the itinerary that you want to do most.

Sun has the Great Outdoors-which is wonderful for outdoor lunch, and good place for the sail-aways from ports the Star doesnt. Sun has Observation Lounge-Star doesnt

Star has Blue Lagoon (23 hr comfort food) the Sun has the Sports Bar (12 hrs)

Sun has bigger cabins

you can go back and forth what they both have and dont...do a search on here for both ships and decide which one you would like to go on or choose your itinerary...in the end you have to make the decision and be happy with it...GOOD LUCK they are both GOOD ships!!

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are planning a cruise in March (the 3rd or 4th). Both the Star and Sun are going on a 7 day western Caribbean. The Star leaves out of Tampa, the Sun leaves out of Port Canaveral. We live in Orlando so either one is fine with us... I really can't decide on which one would be better. The one out of Orlando (sun) goes to the Caymans which I have always wanted to see, but it also goes to great stirrup cay, which we have already been to (although it was nice). But then again, the cave tubing excursion seems really fun in Belize out of tampa! I really really cant decide. Has anyone been on both of these ships? Also, is it better to book excursions with NCL or a third party? I was thinking of booking with travelocity since they offer 15% off excursions.

I have been on both and prefer the Sun hands down, but I am sure others feel the opposite. The cabins, on the Sun are bigger, they have the new restaurant and the fun tapa bar in Las Rambles. The Star is fine, many people really like her and yes, cave tubing is a really fun excursion.

As for booking tours, we prefer to do them on our own unless time is an issue. If we are booking a tour over 4 hours long and there is doubt as to arriving back on board, we do it through the ship. Booking on your own is much cheaper and more personalized.

Nita

We've also been on both ships and would be happy to sail either one again. The Sun is slightly smaller than the Star, in both tonnage and number of passengers -- but they're both enough smaller than the newest ships that you might not even notice a difference.

A few years ago I had a crew member tell us that the Sun was the favorite ship of most of the crew, as she was the perfect size to service easily. Don't know if that's still true or not, but we probably had the best service we've ever had on the Sun -- from the captain on down to the room stewards.

I'd go by itinerary and price if I was choosing between the two. Happy sailing!

Both ships are beautiful; I don't think you will be disappointed with either choice. One thing no one has mentioned is the passenger make up. We were on the Sun in early February last year and the average passenger age was up there. There were several 'retired' groups on board including two large groups (that I know of) from trailer park type facilities. (I don't mean it to sound as harsh as that may sound - but that's how they described themselves.) This affected the atmosphere of the ship as it was very (VERY) subdued. There were only a handful of kids on that cruise and very few young couples. I enjoyed the ship and the itinerary (we were on a Western with Belize, Cozumel, Key West), but would've selected a different sailing had I known about the passenger mix ahead of time. Not sure how to find this out, but it's something to consider given the timing of your cruise (i.e. before spring break, kids are all in school).

Now for my opinion...I would select the Star because it goes to Belize. I heart Belize. We did a snorkeling excursion to Goff's Cay it was amazing being on that tiny island in the middle of the ocean. Breathtaking! Going back in February (on the Star for the fourth time)! Also, the Star has some of the most affordable suites available. You will feel truly spoiled and special VIP!

I've been on both and would have picked the Star hands down, before they reconfigured her. Now that they've done away with a fair chunk of "public" real estate on her and turned it into suites, I have no real desire to cruise on her again. If I was going to choose one today, I'd pick the Sun.

Archived