Trouble printing boarding passes on the ship ?

Orangefan

I thought of trying to print my return airline boarding pass on the ship. However, in the spring someone wrote to CC that the pass they printed on the ship didn't work. It had cut off part of the UPC code and didn't work at the airport. Has anybody had trouble with the boarding passes they printed on the ship?

Sali

I thought of trying to print my return airline boarding pass on the ship. However, in the spring someone wrote to CC that the pass they printed on the ship didn't work. It had cut off part of the UPC code and didn't work at the airport. Has anybody had trouble with the boarding passes they printed on the ship?

Sali

I had no trouble on the Island printing them off.

Sali

There's no reason why a boarding pass would print any differently on the ship than at home. It's a computer and a printer. It's possible the printer didn't "grab" the paper correctly but that's something you'd check whether on the ship or at home.

As said, there is never any guarantee of Internet access on the ship. When a lot of people are trying to use the Internet at the same time, which often happens the last full day on the ship, the bandwidth is being used to the limit and slows down for everyone, sometimes to the point of no access. I'd never depend on checking in for my flight and printing a boarding pass while on the ship. Most airlines have kiosks at the airport where you can quickly check in, print your boarding pass, and hand over your luggage.

Sali

I ordinarily print the passes at the airline kiosk but since I have an early flight on the return and doing a walk off , I thought I would try to do this ahead of time.

Sali

Last Eastern Caribbean cruise people had issues with printing boarding passes from some airlines ( I recall Southwest being mentioned ). American was no issue other than the wait for internet access. Just to log on, then access the airline site with my booking number and printing passes took over 45 minutes because of the amount of internet traffic trying to share a limited bandwidth.

I could be worse - the person next to me went through that whole process (almost an hour for them) only to find out that they were outside of the 24 hour before flight time window - they forgot about the time zone change...

I didn't have a problem printing our Air Canada boarding passes after our Golden Pr cruise last February but others who were on British Air to the UK did. It wasn't a misprint. Their boarding passes just wouldn't download thus couldn't be printed out. They were using a ship's computer so I logged on to BA web site for them and tried to do the print command from my laptop without success so IMO the fault was with the BA web site. They did do their check in and decided to get their boarding passes at the airport.

One thing I do with my laptop is once I have my boarding passes page downloaded to my computer is to log off of the ship's internet without closing my internet browser and then do the printing while offline. It's likely on the last full day onboard the ship's printer will have a lot of print jobs cued to do. You have to set up the ship's WiFi printer on your computer which is easy to do using the Add a Printer option in the printer section of control panel. Your computer needs to be connected to the ship's WiFi network to detect the printer's WiFi signal but you don't need to be logged on to the internet service to do this set up.

I've even printed out a series of internet pages while offline onboard.

You view the pages required by opening them as a series of pages without using the back arrow key while online, then log off without closing your internet browser. Then use the back arrow key to bring up or return to the pages you want to print out. This is possible because the pages you just viewed will have been saved as temporary internet files in your browser's memory until you close your internet browser.

I didn't have a problem printing our Air Canada boarding passes after our Golden Pr cruise last February but others who were on British Air to the UK did. It wasn't a misprint. Their boarding passes just wouldn't download thus couldn't be printed out. They were using a ship's computer so I logged on to BA web site for them and tried to do the print command from my laptop without success so IMO the fault was with the BA web site. They did do their check in and decided to get their boarding passes at the airport.

One thing I do with my laptop is once I have my boarding passes page downloaded to my computer is to log off of the ship's internet without closing my internet browser and then do the printing while offline. It's likely on the last full day onboard the ship's printer will have a lot of print jobs cued to do. You have to set up the ship's WiFi printer on your computer which is easy to do using the Add a Printer option in the printer section of control panel. Your computer needs to be connected to the ship's WiFi network to detect the printer's WiFi signal but you don't need to be logged on to the internet service to do this set up.

I've even printed out a series of internet pages while offline onboard.

You view the pages required by opening them as a series of pages without using the back arrow key while online, then log off without closing your internet browser. Then use the back arrow key to bring up or return to the pages you want to print out. This is possible because the pages you just viewed will have been saved as temporary internet files in your browser's memory until you close your internet browser.

Thanks, Bob! That sounds like a great way to do it.

The ship does charge a .50cent fee for printing them. It will show up on your bill!

Carol

There is that charge per print job, which doesn't change with the number of pages printed, only if you print while log onto the ship's internet service. If you l are not logged on to the ship's internet and have your own laptop there is no charge for printing files or documents stored on your own computer including internet pages stored as temporary internet files. As I mentioned above you will need to set up the ship's WiFi printer as a printer option on your PC.

I believe when using a ship's computer you can't print off line because the internet browser is automatically shut down when you log off and no personal files can be saved on those units nor does the public have access to the USB or other ports in order to access a flash drive or any other memory storage device.

In regards to someone's question "why bother", some airlines require on-line checkin a specific number of hours ahead in order to retain pre-assigned seats. For example, Virgin Atlantic states that flights from Heathrow must be confirmed 13 or more hours ahead of departure. That's why I "bother" with on-line check in and print the boarding passes.

In regards to someone's question "why bother", some airlines require on-line checkin a specific number of hours ahead in order to retain pre-assigned seats. For example, Virgin Atlantic states that flights from Heathrow must be confirmed 13 or more hours ahead of departure. That's why I "bother" with on-line check in and print the boarding passes.

I said it, and I was talking about printing, which no airline requires in advance, not check-in, as printing is what the OP was asking about.

We thought we had printed our boarding passes on the Crown this past June, but only one was fully printed. The other had only part of the printing done. It looked ok at first glance. I wish we had just checked in and not paid for the extra time for the printing because we had to go all the way back to the entrance and reprint. Fortunately, there was not a line at the Delta desk in Heathrow.

Guess we have been lucky. Never had an issue printing or a wait anything like what I'm reading about here.

If printing is the issue, you can check in on line then print the boarding pass when you get to the airport.

Guess we have been lucky. Never had an issue printing or a wait anything like what I'm reading about here.

If printing is the issue, you can check in on line then print the boarding pass when you get to the airport.

Yes, we've done this.

The nice thing about have your own laptop onboard. If you can't print your check in confirmation and want a copy, you can do a screen shot of that page and use your Paint program, that's typically is an accessories program on most PCs, to save it as a picture file on your PC or even send it as an email to yourself to be downloaded later. The confirmation page can then be printed when it is possible to do so or pull up on the PC if needed.

If using a ship's computer and can't print the confirmation page, IMO I would take a shot of the computer screen with a digital camera so you have that at least.

I check in all the time ASAP in the states and then print the boarding passes at an airport kiosk (don't like carrying a full sheet of paper). Never tried it in Europe. Have always had to check in at the counter there.

Archived