HELP, please. Med Itinerary - X or RCCL? (long post)

zelker

I was just on the Equinox doing an Eastern Med cruise in September. I have not been on the Mariner OTS but I have been on many other RCCL ships. I was extremely impressed with Celebrity and it is now my favorite line. We were midship in room 8160 with a room on the slant so we had an oversized balcony. I think you will really love Celebrity. People who had booked quite a bit out found that the price did go down and they got adjustments - that may happen to you. Go for Celebrity - you'll enjoy it. By the way, I'm in my 50's also and the mean age on our cruise was 55.

BIG celebrations (20th anniversary, 60th birthday, 55th birthday) = BIG cabin. :D

And as suite guests we can eat in BLU free for breakfast and pay $5 for dinner (heck, I can pay that much for a latte).

PS - if the Sky Suites were located mid-ship like on the M Class ships, we would probably have booked one of those, for less $$.

PPS - the theory of booking a less $$ cabin and then hoping to upgrade later for an even lower price is interesting and yet, there's always the chance that the price will continue to go the other direction and then I'd really be bummed.

You're right! And if you can swing it then go for it. We just got back from Silhouette in the Med and it was wonderful. We were in AQ because of Blu but, a suite would have been great, no doubt. No matter what- enjoy, great way to celebrate all those events, that's for sure! :D:)

I was just on the Equinox doing an Eastern Med cruise in September. I have not been on the Mariner OTS but I have been on many other RCCL ships. I was extremely impressed with Celebrity and it is now my favorite line. We were midship in room 8160 with a room on the slant so we had an oversized balcony. I think you will really love Celebrity. People who had booked quite a bit out found that the price did go down and they got adjustments - that may happen to you. Go for Celebrity - you'll enjoy it. By the way, I'm in my 50's also and the mean age on our cruise was 55.

Thanks for the feedback. Actually we have sailed X and really enjoy it, just not on an S Class ship yet. We've also booked a hump cabin with a HUGE balcony facing forward so we're very excited. So did you get a feel from the people how far out they booked who saw prices go down? DH and I were just discussing this at dinner because right now there are still most of the Celebrity Suites available and we wonder if they'll drop the prices. But then, the identifical cruise that's sailing just 3 weeks earlier (following the TA) costs $800 more for the same cabin so?????

You're right! And if you can swing it then go for it. We just got back from Silhouette in the Med and it was wonderful. We were in AQ because of Blu but, a suite would have been great, no doubt. No matter what- enjoy, great way to celebrate all those events, that's for sure! :D:)

Thanks, Gracie. And lucky you getting to sail Silhouette!

Let me say this about that----we've sailed RCCL (Serenade, Brilliance) and X. Just got off X this past July (Equinox). I am not one of those loyal brand people, but let me tell you---Sept. 28 I booked the exact same cruise on the exact same ship in the exact same cabin.

Western Med.

The Equinox is beautiful---the itinerary is great---the crew was fantastic. We were docked right next to the Brillance in Kusadasi, and let me tell you--the Equinox dwarfed her, and, looking at their pool deck----glad I was on the Equinox!! Very comfortable lounges---padded--let me tell you--I am sold on X like you wouldn't believe. First class service, excellent food---I'd spend the xtra 2k and be overwhelmed. P.S.--to prove it, last year we used frequent flier miles to Europe--this year we have to PAY......and the airfares aren't cheap from Los Angeles! Very upscale line (or at least the ship is), without being snooty.

Thanks for the feedback. Actually we have sailed X and really enjoy it, just not on an S Class ship yet. We've also booked a hump cabin with a HUGE balcony facing forward so we're very excited. So did you get a feel from the people how far out they booked who saw prices go down? DH and I were just discussing this at dinner because right now there are still most of the Celebrity Suites available and we wonder if they'll drop the prices. But then, the identifical cruise that's sailing just 3 weeks earlier (following the TA) costs $800 more for the same cabin so?????

I booked in April and saw the price go down in the Aqua Class before July 1st. Since we had a room on the slant balcony, we did not want to change (price was the same). There were some other drops in August. If you book now, you'll be fine :) You mentioned you have a hump cabin - it's not the hump you want but some of the cabins leading to the actual hump. It was such a GREAT cruise that I would do it again now.

I booked in April and saw the price go down in the Aqua Class before July 1st. Since we had a room on the slant balcony, we did not want to change (price was the same). There were some other drops in August. If you book now, you'll be fine :) You mentioned you have a hump cabin - it's not the hump you want but some of the cabins leading to the actual hump. It was such a GREAT cruise that I would do it again now.

Guess I'm not surprised to see drops in July or August if the cruise was in August since they are trying to fill cabins "last minute". I'm just trying to figure out if I should wait another month or so and then book (while keeping a watch on things, of course). Ah, if only I could read X's minds, right? ;)

It's the cabin in front of the hump, with the huge angled balcony. We've seen photos of it and someone actually had a tape measure onboard and measured it. It's likely bigger than some cabins. :eek: :D

I've been on both. Liked both. I LOVE the "S" Class...but it's a Med cruise where itinerary is FAR more important in my book. The food on X is far superior. The entertainment nod goes to Royal..... For $2000 you could eat at Chops/Portofinos almost every night and not come close to absorbing that many $$. There won't be a lot of kids, doubt you'll hear much from the pool deck but could be wrong. As much as I love the "S" class I'd have to seriously consider Mariner for a $2000 savings.... What Aa dilemma(a good kind of dilemma though:))

I've done both ships. I would go with Celebrity. We were on Mariner OTS last year and it needs a make over. I do like both lines for different reasons. If you do Mariner OTS the windjammer gets very crowded, being in a suite you can get your food and go an eat in the Chops Grill or Portofino restaurants.

As to noise from the pool deck or Windjammer. We have never had a problem. We normally get rooms just under the pool or Windjammer. We like being close to food and the pool. On Solstice class ships we get rooms on deck 12. We can walk right out to the pool or up 1 floor to the food. Richard

Guess I'm not surprised to see drops in July or August if the cruise was in August since they are trying to fill cabins "last minute". I'm just trying to figure out if I should wait another month or so and then book (while keeping a watch on things, of course). Ah, if only I could read X's minds, right? ;)

It's the cabin in front of the hump, with the huge angled balcony. We've seen photos of it and someone actually had a tape measure onboard and measured it. It's likely bigger than some cabins. :eek: :D

Our cruise was actually 9/19 and the price was dropping June through September. We were in Cabin 8160 and had a much larger balcony than our friends in 8162. Loved the room. No shelves in closet so we brought a hanging fabric shelf organizer to put shirts, Tee's extra in. would recommend that.

Our first cruise was an April/May 2011 sailing on the Mariner out of Rome...it was quite lovely! Not a ton of children, and I only had one "these children are driving me crazy" moment. Pretty good for 12 days at sea! Americans only comprised about a third of the guests. Friends of ours who cruise a lot tell us that what we experienced on RCI demographic wise on that cruise will match most Celebrity cruises.

We're doing a March Celebrity sailing out of Miami...trying to avoid a crazy onslaught of children that we'd expect on the main lines. I love kids...just don't want to have them screaming over my margaritas all week :D

We wouldn't hesitate to sail on the Mariner in the Med again...the service was great, the ship is in good shape (maybe a little dated & worn in places, but the price was right) and the food was amazingly good when you think about how many they feed a night.

Archived