HELP, please. Med Itinerary - X or RCCL? (long post)

zelker

Let me start out by saying that we are in our 50's, sail w/o kids, have sailed HAL (twice on Westerdam, once on Amsterdam), X (twice on Connie) and RCCL (once on Serenade). Of the three lines, we liked RCCL the least (didn't care for the ship layout, bland and boring food, and sometimes lacking service) but it was still a good cruise. However, we both came home and said we weren't in a hurry to book another RCCL cruise. In all fairness though, we said that about our first X cruise which was over Thanksgiving in the Carib and FULL of kids and rude people. We gave X another try a few years later on a 2 week Baltic cruise and totally changed our mind so we're trying to be open-minded about this.

That said, I was all ready to put a deposit on an Equinox cruise when I discovered that RCCL has just changed a couple of their Holy Land itineraries on Monarch OTS to be almost identifical to the Equinox itinerary. Equinox is 11 nights, Monarch is 12. Both have 3 sea days. Santorini vs Rhodes (have been to both, like both) and Crete vs Mykonos (have been to neither so doesn't matter which). Monarch adds one port (Sicily) which is not a dealbreaker either way.

Both cruises are in May so I would not expect either ship to have a lot of kids (a good thing). On Equinox we are holding a Celebrity Suite and on Monarch we are holding a Grand Suite (seem to be equivalent cabin space but verandah is MUCH larger on Equinox). We are Select/Platinum levels so perks aren't really a big deal for us and this cruise would still not push us over into Elite).

We've stayed in a CS on Connie before and really loved having breakfast and dinner (course by course) served in the suite. Our butler was also great about bringing us espressos/lattes for breakfast rather than regular coffee. Getting a couple dinners comped in the specialty restaurants will be nice as well. On Monarch we have access to the Concierge Lounge for free drinks in the evening but not being huge drinkers, it's not that big of a deal although the free "better coffee drinks" at any time is nice. I'm told that we can have dinner served course-by-course in that suite, too.

Here's where I need help. #1 - on Monarch, all the suites are directly under the pool/Lido deck and I've read that there is a potential for noise from above which could be a concern. That is not an issue on Equinox as the cabin sits between two cabin decks. #2 - the Monarch cruise is close to $2000 less (total, not each), which translates to almost $200 per night less (again, per cabin, not per person). #3 - I've read on both X and RCCL threads that RCCL seems to feel more crowded than X but having never sailed on either of these classes, I don't know if that's really the case or just opinions. #4 - I know RCCL is geared more towards family/kids but on a Med cruise pre-summer break, will it still feel that way?

This cruise is to celebrate our 20th anniversary and my 60th birthday so we really want it to be special. So for those of you who might have experience on both lines in these particular classes, any comments one way or the other would be most appreciated. Bottom line is - should we save $2K and sail on the Monarch and possibly be underwhelmed again or perhaps delightfully surprised or should we just stick with X and experience the Solstice class (there's something that sounds so appealing about being able to stick my toes in grass on a ship :p)?

Thanks!

Barb (and DH, who really just wants to know who he should write the check to and when to show up at the pier :rolleyes:)

For $2000 less and an extra cruise night, I'd probably give MARINER of the Seas (not Monarch ;)) a try.

If you can find a cabin that isn't under the actual pool area (some are under the bar), you won't have the noise problems from people scraping the lounge chairs as they move them around. I'm not sure what cabin you have on hold.

I haven't sailed Equinox so I can't give any comparisons.

Barb,

I am one of those who enjoys both Celebrity and RCCL...for different reasons. I am, independently of any reciprocity, Elite on Celebrity and Diamond on RCCL...

I have cruised on the Monarch several times--it used to be based here in SoCal doing the short Baja routes. I have also cruised on the Solstice Class X ships...

IMHO, the difference in ships is well worth the price difference...

The food and service is better on Celebrity...

But the ship is also much niocer and newer and less crowded...

Monarch is just 73,924 gross tons but carries 2,354 passengers at double capacity...

Equinox is 122,000 gross tons and carries 2,850...

Doing the math, it's 31.4 gross tons per passenger versus 42.8...Remember, gross tons is a measurement of displacement--or space, not weight...

...and Equinox was built in 2009, Monarch in 1991...

IMHO, these two are not comparable...

Barb,

I am one of those who enjoys both Celebrity and RCCL...for different reasons. I am, independently of any reciprocity, Elite on Celebrity and Diamond on RCCL...

I have cruised on the Monarch several times--it used to be based here in SoCal doing the short Baja routes. I have also cruised on the Solstice Class X ships...

IMHO, the difference in ships is well worth the price difference...

IMHO, these two are not comparable...

I goofed - it's Mariner, not Monarch. Does this change your comments?

You have certainly done your homework and know the two cruise lines so we will not harp on that stuff. But there are some significant differences between these ships. The Monarch is a relatively old ship (more then 20 years old) and although it was an amazing vessel when first launched, it is somewhat dated when compared to newer ships like the Equinox. You might want to consider some statistics. Some consider the "space ratio" to be a good measure of on-board space. The Monarch, like many of the older RCI ships, has a space ratio (tons divided by the number of passengers) of only 30. The newer Equinox has a passenger space ratio of around 42. Put in simple terms the Equinox has about 30% more space per passenger....which is quite a difference. We also agree with your assessment about food..in that the cuisine on X is several notches above what they serve on RCI. Whether this, and other factors, are worth $2000 is something only you can judge. There are folks who do not blink at the thought of paying $1000 per passenger day on Silverseas....and others who do not want to spend $100 per passenger day on other lines. Guess it just comes down to how you want to spend your money.

Hank

If you can find a cabin that isn't under the actual pool area (some are under the bar), you won't have the noise problems from people scraping the lounge chairs as they move them around. I'm not sure what cabin you have on hold.

I'm holding 1298 which looks to sit fairly close to hot tubs (and dreaded deck chairs). I like to keep as close to mid ship as possible so am afraid that being up this high and moving more forward to be under the bar might not be such a good combo for me (more motion there).

You have certainly done your homework and know the two cruise lines so we will not harp on that stuff. But there are some significant differences between these ships. The Monarch is a relatively old ship (more then 20 years old) and although it was an amazing vessel when first launched, it is somewhat dated when compared to newer ships like the Equinox. Hank

Hi, Hank. I goofed - it's on Mariner, not Monarch.

I goofed - it's Mariner, not Monarch. Does this change your comments?

It does change things...a little...

Mariner (and we've done a couple of cruises on her as well), of course, is a newer ship...it's over 130,000 gross tons and carries well over 3,200 passengers...but the space-per-passenger ratios are similar to Equinox...

However, as with most newer RCCL ships, a lot of that space is taken up with some pretty impressive amenities--like the ice skating rink--which won't be of much use to 50 year olds on a port intensive cruise like a Med itinerary...

I love the newer RCCL ships--but they're great as resort destinations in and of themselves--great for Caribbean cruises with lots of sea days ...and great for the kids...

Celebrity is a more "adult" cruise experience...The space on the ships are taken up with open areas and bars and lounges...And yes, it is still more elegant as to service and presentation...and the food is better...

However, the Mariner, rather than the Monarch, does bring it a bit closer...as does $2000 and an extra cruise night...

Whereas Monarch vs. Equinox was a no-contest, Mariner vs. Equinox is a closer call...

I prefer Celebrity for these European routes...and I love the little extras in service...but, the Mariner might be tempting--$2,000 pays for the shore excursions...

However, as with most newer RCCL ships, a lot of that space is taken up with some pretty impressive amenities--like the ice skating rink--which won't be of much use to 50 year olds on a port intensive cruise like a Med itinerary...

Even if it wasn't port intensive, the skating rink is not an amenity would we utilize - my luck, I'd fall and break something half way around the world. :eek:

From the deck plans, it looks as though there is a lot of space taken up by things geared towards kids and younger (or more physically active) adults whereas on Equinox it looks like the majority of spaces are geared towards everyone. Is that a fair assessment?

And yes, $2000 can go a long way towards shore excursions but so will the $1000+ of OBC we'll get so .............

Ugh! I wish I'd never seen the Mariner itinerary change.

I would do the Celebrity.... We are Elite and Diamond... each earned separately...So we ahve sailed both plenty.. We tend to do more Celebrity these days..And the big thing on this would be the location of the RCCL ship, don't like to be under the pool or windjammer. They tend to drag things across the decks early!!! Whichever you choose ENJOY!!!!:):)

Even if it wasn't port intensive, the skating rink is not an amenity would we utilize - my luck, I'd fall and break something half way around the world. :eek:

From the deck plans, it looks as though there is a lot of space taken up by things geared towards kids and younger (or more physically active) adults whereas on Equinox it looks like the majority of spaces are geared towards everyone. Is that a fair assessment?

And yes, $2000 can go a long way towards shore excursions but so will the $1000+ of OBC we'll get so .............

Ugh! I wish I'd never seen the Mariner itinerary change.

I've been on both. Liked both. I LOVE the "S" Class...but it's a Med cruise where itinerary is FAR more important in my book. The food on X is far superior. The entertainment nod goes to Royal..... For $2000 you could eat at Chops/Portofinos almost every night and not come close to absorbing that many $$. There won't be a lot of kids, doubt you'll hear much from the pool deck but could be wrong. As much as I love the "S" class I'd have to seriously consider Mariner for a $2000 savings.... What Aa dilemma(a good kind of dilemma though:))

I've been on both the Mariner OTS and the Equinox. I agree that the extra day and the $2000 savings on the Mariner would be tempting. But the Equinox is clearly the superior ship, in my opinion, especially if you've never been on a Solstice class ship. I thought the Equinox was just beautiful and so fun to explore for the first time. The Mariner was fun to explore too for a 7 day Mexico cruise but I'm not in a hurry to go back like I am with the Solstice class ships. I'm not a fan of the enclosed shopping mall feel of the Mariner OTS.

We were actually a bit disappointed in the food in the MDR on the Equinox and wouldn't say that we saw a huge difference between it and the Mariner MDR. The Equinox specialty restaurants are definitely superior though, and there are more of them. Our next big cruise will probably be a Baltic cruise in the summer of 2013 and I am hoping that the itinerary and pricing work out for us to book a Solstice-class ship and 2 AQ cabins for us and the kids, so that we can eat in Blu which seems to get rave reviews here.

I too would worry about the pool deck and chair noise. However, on a port intensive cruise in shoulder season, maybe it won't even be a factor. OR, between now and your sail date, maybe a better cabin you like will open up and you can switch!

I've been on both the Mariner OTS and the Equinox. I agree that the extra day and the $2000 savings on the Mariner would be tempting. But the Equinox is clearly the superior ship, in my opinion, especially if you've never been on a Solstice class ship. I thought the Equinox was just beautiful and so fun to explore for the first time. The Mariner was fun to explore too for a 7 day Mexico cruise but I'm not in a hurry to go back like I am with the Solstice class ships. I'm not a fan of the enclosed shopping mall feel of the Mariner OTS.

I've never sailed on a ship with the "enclosed shopping mall" but I was telling my DH last night that it certainly did not hold any appeal for me ... grass, on the other hand, does. :p Speaking of enclosed spaces though, would you say that Equinox has a more open feeling than Mariner (open spaces, lots of glass in public spaces) or are they about the same?

The fact that you've sailed both and have kids and still prefer Equinox speaks volumes. Savings aside (hey, you can't take it with you, right? ;)), X seems to be the standout choice, especially for Europe. If we ever go back to the Carib, maybe we'll try Mariner or one of her sister ships.

THANKS!

Well if I were making this choice I would opt for a cheaper cabin on the X ship - sort of a compromise? who knows, prices may go down and you could later upgrade to the higher priced cabin or you might be offered an upsell (not sure X does much of this tho). Because on a port intensive European cruise you really will not be in your cabin much except to sleep

But again, this would be my choice - a balcony, yes, but not a suite - you could try to find out if any of the larger balconies were still available.

But I would for sure go for X over RCL - the S class ships are lovely and sophisticated - geared to grown-ups, not children. $2000 would make me deeply ponder the choice but I'd either just spend it or downsize my cabin a bit to be on the Celebrity ship. Wishing you a wonderful cruise whichever ship you decide on!

I've never sailed on a ship with the "enclosed shopping mall" but I was telling my DH last night that it certainly did not hold any appeal for me ... grass, on the other hand, does. :p Speaking of enclosed spaces though, would you say that Equinox has a more open feeling than Mariner (open spaces, lots of glass in public spaces) or are they about the same?

The fact that you've sailed both and have kids and still prefer Equinox speaks volumes. Savings aside (hey, you can't take it with you, right? ;)), X seems to be the standout choice, especially for Europe. If we ever go back to the Carib, maybe we'll try Mariner or one of her sister ships.

THANKS!

I definitely think the Equinox has a more open feel with more windows, glass and open spaces. It's not that the Mariner felt crowded to me -- just that there are a lot fewer windows and I felt more "enclosed." Before we went on the Equinox, I thought the idea of the lawn area sounded silly and gimmicky. But once on the ship I loved it, especially at sunset. We enjoyed the Mariner and I would go back if there wasn't a comparable choice on Celebrity or Princess.

Well if I were making this choice I would opt for a cheaper cabin on the X ship - sort of a compromise? who knows, prices may go down and you could later upgrade to the higher priced cabin or you might be offered an upsell (not sure X does much of this tho). Because on a port intensive European cruise you really will not be in your cabin much except to sleep

But again, this would be my choice - a balcony, yes, but not a suite - you could try to find out if any of the larger balconies were still available.

But I would for sure go for X over RCL - the S class ships are lovely and sophisticated - geared to grown-ups, not children. $2000 would make me deeply ponder the choice but I'd either just spend it or downsize my cabin a bit to be on the Celebrity ship. Wishing you a wonderful cruise whichever ship you decide on!

Thanks for your suggestion but we are most definitely staying with a suite. We actually are one of those couples who do more than sleep in their cabins (I'd tell you what it IS that we do, but then I'd have to kill you! :eek: ;) :D)

I definitely think the Equinox has a more open feel with more windows, glass and open spaces. It's not that the Mariner felt crowded to me -- just that there are a lot fewer windows and I felt more "enclosed." Before we went on the Equinox, I thought the idea of the lawn area sounded silly and gimmicky. But once on the ship I loved it, especially at sunset. We enjoyed the Mariner and I would go back if there wasn't a comparable choice on Celebrity or Princess.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, clinches the deal for me! :D Equinox it is!

(this is why I LOVE CC)

We were on the Equinox early June of this year (2011). My guess is that there were 40 children maybe onboard. Most were great, a few (early teens), needed a little more discipline (really just reminders about running and indoor voices)but for the most part, all were fine.

Thanks for your suggestion but we are most definitely staying with a suite. We actually are one of those couples who do more than sleep in their cabins (I'd tell you what it IS that we do, but then I'd have to kill you! :eek: ;) :D)

You don't need a suite to do those things....:)

Yes I agree...I think I'd opt for the less expensive non suite stateroom on X too...I liked Mariner...but I love the "S" class ships....and BLU!!!

Yes I agree...I think I'd opt for the less expensive non suite stateroom on X too...I liked Mariner...but I love the "S" class ships....and BLU!!!

BIG celebrations (20th anniversary, 60th birthday, 55th birthday) = BIG cabin. :D

And as suite guests we can eat in BLU free for breakfast and pay $5 for dinner (heck, I can pay that much for a latte).

PS - if the Sky Suites were located mid-ship like on the M Class ships, we would probably have booked one of those, for less $$.

PPS - the theory of booking a less $$ cabin and then hoping to upgrade later for an even lower price is interesting and yet, there's always the chance that the price will continue to go the other direction and then I'd really be bummed.

We were on the Equinox early June of this year (2011). My guess is that there were 40 children maybe onboard. Most were great, a few (early teens), needed a little more discipline (really just reminders about running and indoor voices)but for the most part, all were fine.

Kimanjo, we were on the same cruise (June 6)! Hopefully my then 14 year old DD wasn't one of the offenders! (Tall, red hair . . .) Actually my teen really enjoyed the cruise and felt that the smaller group was not a negative because it made for a more cohesive group. I did a review of the cruise here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1431761

Also, several posters have commented that Celebrity is "more adult" than RCCL. I agree but want to emphasize that this doesn't mean that Celebrity cruises cater to an old and boring crowd. I was pleasantly surprised by the number of 20- and 30- somethings on our Equinox Med cruise. (I say that as someone in my early 50's.) And the entertainment staff seemed to strike the perfect balance between elegant sophistication and upbeat party vibe. That's why we're anxious to return.

JJ -

Thanks so much for posting the link to your review as that is the same cruise we're doing! I'm sure there will lots of good info I can gleen from it. (oh yes, and I'm SURE your DD couldn't have been any trouble as I, too, am a tall redhead and never caused a bit of trouble growing up ;))

Barb

Archived