What to do if my travel buddy cancels

Okay - everyone. Thanks for the input. I have not seen such disagreement since there was a thread last week from a woman with a TA who booked her

on a flight that arrived in Fort Lauderdale at 2pm on day of sailing. There were so many people including me who thought the TA was an idiot and

the passenger (poster) even stupider for even considering the option.

Anyway, my friend & I travelled last November and he had issues with the internet and the food delivery to the cabin and how the concierge was

catering to a family of a sports figure etc etc. First he said that he might

consider going again and now he is saying he will probably not want to.

I just know that the minute I cancel him he is going to want to go.

I called RCCL today and asked generally what is their policy. We are within 3 weeks of sailing (tomorrow) and they need to know the manifest within 72 hours of sailing. Other than port fees the cabin is paid for so they really cannot charge me single occupancy as I have already paid for double .

Again, I would like to take the total paid and re-book myself in a higher

cabin category but i am afraid to at this momemt. They have a lot of balcony cabins available so I am hoping I might get an upgrade(I am diamond).

Thanks everyone for your input.

cabin category but i am afraid to at this momemt. They have a lot of balcony cabins available so I am hoping I might get an upgrade(I am diamond).

I don't think you understand. You can't book yourself in a higher cabin category for what you paid unless the higher cabins are the same or less (and then it doesn't matter if there are one or two of you anyway). One person costs the same as two except for taxes and fees. So it's not like they're going to give you a better cabin just because you are travelling alone.

If the ship isn't fully booked they won't 'give' you an upgrade. Why don't you see if you can buy an upgrade with him on the reservation? If he shows up, you still have a better cabin. Print out your own setsail pass and have a great cruise. If you think you'll be lonely, wander over to the roll call and make some new friends. They also have 'single' events so you can meet other solo travelers. Glad to hear that staying home doesn't seem to be on your option list.

Marsha

Hi everyone. Definitely not staying home with my travel bud. I have travelled alone in the past & will travel without him again. I am travelling to Florida on 11/21 to spend the holidays at his place as I always do. 2008 and 2009 travelled on the Enchantment and Navigator solo. Last year he joined me for the Liberty. Now maybe back to solo, No big deal. I have organized a CC table on my cruise and have a seat at my table. No show no problem....

If I call them and tell them he is not coming and want an upgrade and will pay for it, why would they not give it to me? I do not understand why I could not get a better cabin if I pay for it??

If I call them and tell them he is not coming and want an upgrade and will pay for it, why would they not give it to me? I do not understand why I could not get a better cabin if I pay for it??

If a cabin is available and you are willing to pay for it, you will get it. Does not matter whether your mate is coming or not. There will be a price to pay. Pay it, the cabin will be yours.

The single supplement is not higher than what two people would cost. It is actually a few dollars less. A single passenger in a cabin pays the cruise fare for two passengers plus port fees and taxes for one passenger.

It depends! I booked two cruises with my sister. A week before the first cruise, her husband needed bypass surgery, so she couldn't go. Since we were in the 100% penalty phase, my sister's taxes were refunded and I didn't pay anything. My sister filed a claim with her insurance company and was reimbursed for her cruise and airfare costs.

The second cruise with my sister was 4 years later. This time her husband broke his leg and had surgery 3 weeks before we sailed, so again she cancelled! However, we had gotten a senior discount based on my sister's age. When she cancelled the cruise, I lost the senior discount and had to pay the current single rate on the date my sister cancelled - and it was more than the cost of the cruise for the two of us together! Fortunately, my insurance reimbursed me, and then I paid my sister her portion of the cruise fare.

I am not inviting my sister on any more cruises!

Okay - everyone. Thanks for the input. I have not seen such disagreement since there was a thread last week from a woman with a TA who booked her

on a flight that arrived in Fort Lauderdale at 2pm on day of sailing. There were so many people including me who thought the TA was an idiot and

the passenger (poster) even stupider for even considering the option.

Anyway, my friend & I travelled last November and he had issues with the internet and the food delivery to the cabin and how the concierge was

catering to a family of a sports figure etc etc. First he said that he might

consider going again and now he is saying he will probably not want to.

I just know that the minute I cancel him he is going to want to go.

I called RCCL today and asked generally what is their policy. We are within 3 weeks of sailing (tomorrow) and they need to know the manifest within 72 hours of sailing. Other than port fees the cabin is paid for so they really cannot charge me single occupancy as I have already paid for double .

Well now that the unknowns have been answered.........

Appears your a seasoned cruiser and can deal with any outcome....

I believe you'll have to pay for any upgrade if available...RCI will not reward you simply because you have made plans with an unreliable travel mate. Of course there is always the hope your diamond status my bring an upgrade. :)

Hi everyone. Definitely not staying home with my travel bud. I have travelled alone in the past & will travel without him again. I am travelling to Florida on 11/21 to spend the holidays at his place as I always do. 2008 and 2009 travelled on the Enchantment and Navigator solo. Last year he joined me for the Liberty. Now maybe back to solo, No big deal. I have organized a CC table on my cruise and have a seat at my table. No show no problem....

If an upgrade is available and you are willing to pay for it you will get it. It's just that you can not use your traveling companion's money to pay for it. For easy math let's say the cabin you currently have booked is $1000 per person. That cabin is going to cost $2000 whether the two of you go or just one of you goes (minus one set of taxes and port fees). Next, let's say you want to upgrade to a cabin that is $1500 per person. If you go by yourself, you will still have to pay for two people to be in that cabin. RCI (usually) always charges for both passengers even if only one stays there. Therefore, the upgraded cabin is going to cost you $3000 minus one set of taxes and port charges.

[/color]

If an upgrade is available and you are willing to pay for it you will get it. It's just that you can not use your traveling companion's money to pay for it. For easy math let's say the cabin you currently have booked is $1000 per person. That cabin is going to cost $2000 whether the two of you go or just one of you goes (minus one set of taxes and port fees). Next, let's say you want to upgrade to a cabin that is $1500 per person. If you go by yourself, you will still have to pay for two people to be in that cabin. RCI (usually) always charges for both passengers even if only one stays there. Therefore, the upgraded cabin is going to cost you $3000 minus one set of taxes and port charges.

I just checked single occupancy in a higher category. Its $929. Double is $1200. Why can't I cancel my friend and use the entire money we have paid

towards that $929 for me? I paid the whole thing. We are in the 75% cancellation period. If they refund the money it goes back to me anyway.

is this do-able?

I just checked single occupancy in a higher category. Its $929. Double is $1200. Why can't I cancel my friend and use the entire money we have paid

towards that $929 for me? I paid the whole thing. We are in the 75% cancellation period. If they refund the money it goes back to me anyway.

is this do-able?

Yes, you can take whatever refund they will give you and put it toward the single occupancy in the higher category.

is this do-able?

RCI won't penalize you for changing from double occ. to single occ. unless the cruise is completely cancelled. As long as your friend wasn't the one who qualified for a special rate (senior, residency) - when you change to single occupancy, you'll pay whatever rate is in effect for the upgraded cabin, and all money paid will go towards it.

:confused: Why discuss all of this with us on here? We don´t know all the ins and outs of your booking, like who paid what at what time and what´s you current cabin at what price double and single etc..........

Just call RCI and tell them what you want and let them asnwer your questions about what can and what can´t be done.

:confused: Why discuss all of this with us on here? We don´t know all the ins and outs of your booking, like who paid what at what time and what´s you current cabin at what price double and single etc..........

Just call RCI and tell them what you want and let them asnwer your questions about what can and what can´t be done.

OMG Thank you!

The OP says she's Diamond but really seems like a novice. Her questions and points appear elementary...

Stephanie....call RCI and tell them everything.....explore all your options with the representative....then let us know what happened.

I thought on Royal, it usually works out to be the same for 1 or 2 people to sail in a given stateroom.

Therefore, typically, no money is "freed up" by taking off one person, which can then be applied to an upgrade.

Changing it from 2 to 1 should, at best, get back $100 in port fees -- or at worst, as someone else pointed out, actually cost more by losing State resident, military, or senior discount of the other person.

So I think the biggest confusion for me here, has been that on this particular cruise, somehow going single is not costing roughly the same as two people going in that same cabin. Seems like this particular cruise has some special discounts of the single supplement.

Otherwise the answer would be simple -- upgrading is not financially related to having 1 or 2 people in the cabin. They would be separate events and decision points.

[quote name='storm1of4'][SIZE=3][COLOR=navy][B]OMG Thank you![/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]The OP says she's Diamond but really seems like a novice. Her questions and points appear elementary...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=navy]Stephanie....call RCI and tell them everything.....explore all your options with the representative....then let us know what happened.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]

I am not just saying I am Diamond - I am Diamond! (really, what a comment!) Many people on the boards have more experience than I with these issues. I may be a novice in this arena, but hardly
a novice cruiser. I did not call Rccl at the time as I was undecided which way to go and indecisive about my choices..

FYI, I did all my homeowork before I called including the exact dollar amount of what I paid for him and me, cruise credits I applied for both of us, Diamond Discount for Balcony and my state and age discounts. Lucky I did as the RCCL rep had me paying more but we settled the issues.

It does help to ask questions of others who may have had certain experiences. It is not a sign of being a novice cruiser but inexperienced with these issues. I had never booked a cruise with another person who cancelled yet we each had cruise credits etc. many people have had circumstamces like this. This is why I had questions.

[quote name='bloomcruisers']You might want to get some more answers here before notifying them. I remember reading somewhere on the boards here that a similar situation happened after final payment. The person who did not go got essentially no refund (possibly port fees, memory fails me on that). BUT, the person sailing was then hit by the cruiseline with a [U]significant[/U] additional charge because they now had to pay the single supplement. I don't remember which cruiseline it was however. Maybe someone else has a better memory and can direct you to that thread. But I think the end result of that discussion was that since he will get nothing back, you are better off just showing up without telling them he is not going and pretend he missed the ship in order to avoid getting hit with the single supplement charge.[/quote]
I would go on the cruise and say nothing about your Fool not showing up. Have fun. :eek:

Archived