What to do if my travel buddy cancels

He is on the fence and likely will not go. He does not care about getting money back. Should I call RCCL and tell them he is not going? Won't they change the room to a single? However, there is no money due back so why will they charge me anything? Or, should I just go to the pier and tell

them then? I was actually thinking of calling them and saying "he is not going so let's take all the funds and I will upgrade to a better cabin single

occupany?

Advice? (p.S. the cruise is in 3 weeks)

actually if you want money back, I'd call them prior to the cruise and say he's not going....you will get his Gov't tax back (or you will)

the flip side is.....try to find somebody to sail....you're almost paying for 2 people to cruise anyhow

As a reference, you'll keep the same cabin, so there's no " I will upgrade to a better single cabin"

good luck

He is on the fence and likely will not go. He does not care about getting money back. Should I call RCCL and tell them he is not going? Won't they change the room to a single? However, there is no money due back so why will they charge me anything? Or, should I just go to the pier and tell

them then? I was actually thinking of calling them and saying "he is not going so let's take all the funds and I will upgrade to a better cabin single

occupany?

The only thing I would do is go on the cruise.

If your travel buddy does not show up, not your problem.

BTW, I could be wrong, but I never heard of RCI having such a thing as a "single" room.

You might want to get some more answers here before notifying them. I remember reading somewhere on the boards here that a similar situation happened after final payment. The person who did not go got essentially no refund (possibly port fees, memory fails me on that). BUT, the person sailing was then hit by the cruiseline with a significant additional charge because they now had to pay the single supplement. I don't remember which cruiseline it was however. Maybe someone else has a better memory and can direct you to that thread. But I think the end result of that discussion was that since he will get nothing back, you are better off just showing up without telling them he is not going and pretend he missed the ship in order to avoid getting hit with the single supplement charge.

The only thing I would do is go on the cruise.

If your travel buddy does not show up, not your problem.

BTW, I could be wrong, but I never heard of RCI having such a thing as a "single" room.

I think I read that RCI is going to be installing (or maybe already has on some ships) single rooms.

OP - If your cruising buddy won't be going, and doesn't care about getting money back, find someone else to go in his place. The room is already paid for so it shouldn't be hard to find someone to go.

You might want to get some more answers here before notifying them. I remember reading somewhere on the boards here that a similar situation happened after final payment. The person who did not go got essentially no refund (possibly port fees, memory fails me on that). BUT, the person sailing was then hit by the cruiseline with a significant additional charge because they now had to pay the single supplement. I don't remember which cruiseline it was however. Maybe someone else has a better memory and can direct you to that thread. But I think the end result of that discussion was that since he will get nothing back, you are better off just showing up without telling them he is not going and pretend he missed the ship in order to avoid getting hit with the single supplement charge.

The single supplement is not higher than what two people would cost. It is actually a few dollars less. A single passenger in a cabin pays the cruise fare for two passengers plus port fees and taxes for one passenger.

This happened to me just over a year ago. I took my adult daughter with me. When I told her all she needed to do was pay the air fare - that the cruise was essentially FREE for her - she couldn't jump at the opportunity fast enough.

It ended up being the BEST cruise I've ever taken. You do need to notify RCI to change the name on the cabin and I think you have to do it within a certain period of time. (I'm sure someone knows, or you can call and ask RCI.) I didn't even have to pay a fee for the change.

ENJOY!!

occupany?

The answer is " Where are WE going on this cruise in 3 weeks?" :D:cool:

This happenned to my brother last year.

The cabin is already bought and paid for. If your friend doesnt go... his fare is lost. You will have to notify RCI within one week of sailing and change the name on the reservation. I am sure there is someone in your life that would accept a free cruise. As far as just showing up at the pier and pretending you don't know anything...............that would be reckless on your part..........Call RCI today explain your situation. Find out all your options and then make a decision. Word to the wise talk to a couple of different RCI reps.....some are better than others.

Also, he is on the fence you say? Have him commit to a yes or no. If he says no act fast and get the name changed. Give the other person a chance to prepare for the cruise (ie work, documents etc.) Also if you decide to go alone........is it a 3 or 4 day trip or a 7 day? If your used to traveling alone,,,,no problem. However, it can get lonely out there on a big ship when you dont know anyone. Not that you wont make friends.....but it can be lonely.

As far as just showing up at the pier and pretending you don't know anything...............that would be reckless on your part..........

And why would this be wreckless?

Consider that the travelling companion could decide to go and be at the ship on sailing day, why would you contact RCI and tell them something that you have no control over and really do not know what will happen on sailing day?

I would be at the ship and whether or not my travelling companion is there is beyond my control and of no little concern to me.

And I am sure that RCI will barely miss anyone that pays for a cruise and fails to make the ship. I am sure it happens often.

Consider that the travelling companion could decide to go and be at the ship on sailing day, why would you contact RCI and tell them something that you have no control over and really do not know what will happen on sailing day?

I would be at the ship and whether or not my travelling companion is there is beyond my control and of no little concern to me.

And I am sure that RCI will barely miss anyone that pays for a cruise and fails to make the ship. I am sure it happens often.

Yeah, this ^

Why would RCI care if they show or not? The cabin is already paid in full.:confused:

As far as changing the name on the reservation, I started a thread on this just a few days ago and was told you can change a name up until 24 hours before the ship sails.

Really?

Reckless for several reasons....

1. What kind of friend is this ....I mean making plans then leaving the OP hanging? Is there a legit, reason why the friend is backing out? One that you need to wait until at the pier to resolve? But oh this is no concern to you right?

2. Fact is the Op knows there is an issue and to show up at the pier pretending is just plain dishonst and silly. All parties to a cabin have to board at the same time. The Op could be delayed boarding until she either comes clean or RCI determines the friend is a no show. Why put yourself through that?

3. Maybe its no concern to you whether you travel alone or whether or not a friend is able to make the trip....your prob. older and used to traveling alone and could make friends in the CL or DL lounge. But this person...we dont know anything about. For some people it could be a lonely nightmare being on a ship all alone.

4. It would be reckless not to take control of the situation and get another travel companion.....salvage the trip.

5. Reckless because the Op really doesnt know(as you and I do not) what RCI will do at the pier given this situation. Wouldnt a prudent person want to know up front and have the ability to know and explore all options?

I am glad YOU have this all figured out, but the OP needs some good advice.

Really?

Of which you have failed dismally to provide.

The OP has NO control over what the travelling companion decides to do.

The OP needs to plan accordingly, hope for the best, expect the worst.

The best, TC decides to go on the cruise. Or the OP finds someone else to go.

Worst, TC does not show, and OP gets on the ship and has a great cruise.

1. What kind of friend is this ....I mean making plans then leaving the OP hanging? Is there a legit, reason why the friend is backing out? One that you need to wait until at the pier to resolve? But oh this is no concern to you right?

And just how is this any business of ours?

2. Fact is the Op knows there is an issue and to show up at the pier pretending is just plain dishonst

And how is this "dishonest"? It is the same as buying two tickets to a play or a ball game, and your other party does not show up.

3. Maybe its no concern to you whether you travel alone or whether or not a friend is able to make the trip....your prob. older and used to traveling alone and could make friends in the CL or DL lounge. But this person...we dont know anything about. For some people it could be a lonely nightmare being on a ship all alone

And this has nothing to do with the situation. Again, it is none of our business.

5. Reckless because the Op really doesnt know(as you and I do not) what RCI will do at the pier given this situation

WRONG! We know EXACTLY what RCI will do. They will allow the paying and confirmed passenger to board the ship just as any paid and confirmed passenger.

2. Fact is the Op knows there is an issue and to show up at the pier pretending is just plain dishonst and silly. All parties to a cabin have to board at the same time.

So not true........I travel with friends sometimes and we do not get to the port and check in(or board) together..

In Sept,I was supposed to cruise with my husband for a 3 nt MN with a bunch of friends..........last minute,he had to stay behind and work..........I called RCCL to canx his name off,so I could at least get the taxes/fees back.....Since we paid for a double cabin,I did not have to add any money for me to stay as a solo..

Really?

Reckless for several reasons....

2. Fact is the Op knows there is an issue and to show up at the pier pretending is just plain dishonst and silly. All parties to a cabin have to board at the same time. The Op could be delayed boarding until she either comes clean or RCI determines the friend is a no show. Why put yourself through that?

3. Maybe its no concern to you whether you travel alone or whether or not a friend is able to make the trip....your prob. older and used to traveling alone and could make friends in the CL or DL lounge. But this person...we dont know anything about. For some people it could be a lonely nightmare being on a ship all alone.

4. It would be reckless not to take control of the situation and get another travel companion.....salvage the trip.

5. Reckless because the Op really doesnt know(as you and I do not) what RCI will do at the pier given this situation. Wouldnt a prudent person want to know up front and have the ability to know and explore all options?

WRONG!! All parties on the same Set Sail Pass have to check in at the same time. If the cabin mates are on different Set Sail Passes, they do not have to check in at the same time.

So not true........I travel with friends sometimes and we do not get to the port and check in(or board) together..

You mean that is not "dishonest"?:rolleyes:

A lot of bad advice can be found on CC, however, most of it is addressed with the facts.

All parties to a cabin have to board at the same time. The Op could be delayed boarding until she either comes clean or RCI determines the friend is a no show. Why put yourself through that?

Not true. Have never been delayed in boarding until my cabin mate arrives. We each have our own set sail pass.

. However, it can get lonely out there on a big ship when you dont know anyone. Not that you wont make friends.....but it can be lonely.

For some people it could be a lonely nightmare being on a ship all alone.

I know a lot of solo cruisers who would disagree with these comments....some people like the solitude........others can talk to anyone and make new friends on board....it does not have to be a nightmare..

WRONG!! All parties on the same Set Sail Pass have to check in at the same time. If the cabin mates are on different Set Sail Passes, they do not have to check in at the same time.

Sorry but you're wrong - last March we checked in (on Jewel) but one hubby was on way home to get his passport. He and wife had one set sail pass and she was able to check in on her own and he just had to show his ID when he arrived (3 hours later) and they issued his seapass. No problem at all - he did NOT have a separate copy of setsail pass.

Not exactly correct ...

If two are on one Set Sail pass, and the primary on the Set Sail pass (one who signs the cruise contract) is the only one that shows up, there is no problem. The other is considered a no-show and the primary is allowed to board. If the primary doesn't show, the other will need to set up their own account and sign the contract at pier check-in. Just speaking from experience.

Archived