Am I the only one?

Please excuse the off topic of cruising post but as dont have the other forum....

Am I the only one who thinks it totally obscene that a major tv station is proposing to pay that idiot child who got caught with drugs in Bali $300,000 for an hour long interview? He is young and stupid that is excuseable but for the supposed grown ups...this is ridiculous...furthermore it is this sort of arrangement which will endanger his return to Australia. I don't think it would be well received by the court in Bali. No one wants to see a child stuck in a foreign goal for a relatively minor mistake.

It appears all that you need to do to get rich is do something totally irresponsible and stupid or have a huge rear end...what is the world coming to....:confused:

AGREE but unfortunately I bet that channel will have the highest ratings when it is showing on TV.

It is only because folks want to see/hear about it that the media pays such foolish $$$ to such foolish people for such foolish issues....it's human nature unfortunately. Look at the Princess Di story. People want to see it!

That's my honest opinion.......

AND guess what....... I'll probably watch it with all the others..and I bet you too!

B&B

AGREE but unfortunately I bet that channel will have the highest ratings when it is showing on TV.

It is only because folks want to see/hear about it that the media pays such foolish $$$ to such foolish people for such foolish issues....it's human nature unfortunately. Look at the Princess Di story. People want to see it!

That's my honest opinion.......

AND guess what....... I'll probably watch it with all the others..and I bet you too!

B&B

I don't think Rugbypopsie is inclined to watch it and I can honestly say that I definitely WON'T be watching it. I agree, with RP. This child is foolish, and it seems his parents may be more so. I am appalled by the double standards being expressed by the media and our Government.

There are an estimated 40-50 Indonesian minors languishing in Australian jails, along side violent criminals. Can you imagine the danger these kids are in jailed with murderers and paedophiles? Where is our concern for them? They made a mistake, due to poverty and circumstance, and are presumed to be adults because of an Xray test that is not supported by the medical profession as an accurate determinant of age. Grrrr.

Where in the common sense in this?:confused:

I am wondering Why...do parents take a young lad who has a drug history , take him to Bali of all places.

I have recently returned from a wonderful holiday there, but drugs and ******. were offered to my young nephews on every street.

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

Am in a dilemma here. Agree with rugbypopsie that I don't agree and don't have any interest so won't be watching it - but then my replying here could imply otherwise!

Seriously, it's only because I opened this thread because I didn't know what it was about, but won't be _intentionally_ watching that show/program for this, wherever it turns out to be (I guess 60 minutes or a current affair).

I thought we had laws in Australia whereby people can't profit from crime. So if he's found guilty he wont be able to get the money anyways.

Feral child spawned from feral parents. Channel 9 are they suckers for paying them.

I thought we had laws in Australia whereby people can't profit from crime. So if he's found guilty he wont be able to get the money anyways.

Feral child spawned from feral parents. Channel 9 are they suckers for paying them.

I believe that law only applies if the person has been convicted in Australia.

I agree with people's comments on this. The parents are claiming the money will cover legal bills and expenses, but I think there would be a fair bit of change after they pay the bills.

The parents told the Indonesian Court they know there son has been smoking (addicted?) to marihuana for 20 months. So whatever were they thinking to allow him on the street in Bali on his own. I don't think I would have taken my son there in the first place, knowing he had a drug problem, but if I did I would keep him in my company 24/7. :)

By the way, a lot of people will watch the 60 Minutes and Current Affairs shows just to see what the parents have to say for themselves. In their situation, I don't think I could show my face.

I won't be watching and totally agree with Rugby Popsie.

What I don't understand is why a 14 year old boy was wondering around a foreign country without Parental supervision. No way I would allow my children to do so in Bali.

The parents told the Indonesian Court they know there son has been smoking (addicted?) to marihuana for 20 months.

I do have to wonder though if the parents have made this up given the lesser sentencing for drug using over dealing??? Then again it could very well be true!

All i can say is they certainly won't win any brownie points with the Indonesian courts now that they have sold their son to the media....fools disclosing the selling of a story comes after the result:mad::mad:

If in fact they were aware of their sons supposed addiction what did they think they were doing taking him there...then again i suppose the drugs are cheaper there aren't they:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: i also believe it wasn't their first trip so naive doesn't come in to it.........something is not right someone is telling big lies here....if it goes pear shaped they have no one to blame but themselves...

I won't be watching and totally agree with Rugby Popsie.

What I don't understand is why a 14 year old boy was wondering around a foreign country without Parental supervision. No way I would allow my children to do so in Bali.

I do have to wonder though if the parents have made this up given the lesser sentencing for drug using over dealing??? Then again it could very well be true!

My thoughts exactly, where does a 14 year old get enough money to buy these drugs and become an addict at 14! Robin

Rugbypopsie is certaainly not intending to watch unless DOCS are going to walk in and arrest somebody preferably the parents for neglect! You can have all the money in the world and still be a neglectful or abusive parent..

If the child had a drug habit what were they doing about it apart from holidaying in the drug capital of this part of the world.

Something about this whole thing does not make sense including leaving him to boast about it on facebook while he was locked up.

And I also agree with those who have pointed out the double standard of Indonesian kids locked up here when they were only on people smuggling boats either by coercsion or poverty certainly not the organisers.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for this young offender. Having been involved with the Youth Justice system I know that young offenders are not always the innocent little kids the media, the bleeding hearts and the apologists in our society like to make them out to be.There are some exceptions but I certainly do not consider the Indonesian authorities as fools. They at least are serious about tackling the drug problem in their country and hand out realistic penalties (just ask Shapelle Corby and the other nine)

When our judicial system begins to get serious about drug offences (any any other crime) and cease slapping offenders on the wrist with a feather duster then perhaps we might make some headway.

John

I just wonder if they have sold the story to pay for legal costs or bribes to get a better result for their child.

I'm not going to pass judgement until I hear the reasons why they are accepting the money.

Problem with the issue re Indonesian children being locked up over smuggling charges is there are problems with determining exact ages. My understanding is the Australian Government has been caught out before with smugglers stated they are a minor and later discovered they are actually a lot older.

I have no sympathy whatsoever for this young offender. Having been involved with the Youth Justice system I know that young offenders are not always the innocent little kids the media, the bleeding hearts and the apologists in our society like to make them out to be.There are some exceptions but I certainly do not consider the Indonesian authorities as fools. They at least are serious about tackling the drug problem in their country and hand out realistic penalties (just ask Shapelle Corby and the other nine)

When our judicial system begins to get serious about drug offences (any any other crime) and cease slapping offenders on the wrist with a feather duster then perhaps we might make some headway.

John

We live in hope John............cheers Shiona

Yep...Me thinks the parents need help and the boy too.....

Seems strange to take him to that sort of place for a holiday when he is a user.....maybe the parents are too.....Why not take him somewhere else....

We all know the rules of Bali/Asia.....

Hope we hear a good and reasonable end to this soon....

Good to hear on the news this morning that the deal has been dropped with Channel 9.

And so it should in my opinion.

Jilly:)

I also heard this Jill and was very pleased. Perhaps public sentiment has won in the end and the channel doesn't want to be lose ratings by sensationalising immoral and illegal behaviour.

I can't see why this story is even making 'news'.

Perhaps a good result would be to bring this kid back for rehab...no story, no profiting from stupidity. Send back to Indonesia all the kids we have in custody...they are not the organisers of the people smuggling and what is point of wasting hundreds of thousands of our dollars keeping them in goal here. Send them back...note their photos, tell them if they come back it will be goal. I am talking about the crew on the fishing boats/people smuggling boats not those claiming refugee status.

Archived