Southern Carribean Cruise

Rie Rie

We are considering a southern carribean cruise on Celebrity Cruise Lines - Ship is Summitt. Has anyone taken this cruise where it departs from San Juan and also returns there? We have always departed from Ft Lauderdale. I haven't heard the best things about San Juan. Anyone have any opinions?

Thanks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I have sailed the Summit but have not sailed her out of San Juan.

San Juan is average but it is very convenient for doing a Southern Caribbean Cruise.

If you do this cruise I would fly in the day before.

You may also want to post this on the Celebrity Cruise Line Board.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Keith

We've been going to San Juan for years and love it. We have cruised out of San Juan (embarking and disembarking there) as well as many times we have had a port call in Old San Juan. The forts are interesting to visit, food is wonderful if you find the right places, some decent shopping in Old San Juan and upscale shopping available short taxi ride away, and we've never had any difficulty there in any way.

Thank you so much for putting my mind at ease. I had heard from a travel agency that taking a Southern Carribean Cruise and leaving out of San Juan was NOT the best choice as they stated you didn't receive as good of service because San Juan catered to their own people first on the cruise. I am glad to hear you haven't experienced that. It is wonderful to get others perspectives and hear their experiences. Thank you so much!!

We sailed on Celebrity Millenium (southern Caribbean) from San Juan in 2010. San Juan is a beautiful old Spanish colonial city - with buildings, walls and fortress dating to late 1500's - early 1600's. Definitely worth a day or so to explore. The city is safe. Even though ships sail in the evening (8:00 PM or later - a wonderful experience: gliding past El Morro into the Atlantic as you leave the lights of the city behind) you still want to plan on arriving there the day before to avoid any delay and stress. While I love sailing from New York in the winter for the convenience, it is great to start your cruise from San Juan in warm waters

We've cruised out of San Juan several times, however not yet on Celebrity. The terminals are no more hectic than those in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale.

We always try to travel there at least a day or so early just to enjoy San Juan.

We sailed out of San Juan in 2010 on Royal Caribbean and found the registration and embarkation process at the terminal to be very disorganized, time-consuming and confusing. I believe the terminal is used by several different cruise lines so I would tend to blame the local port operations people for this rather than RCCL.

As far as San Juan itself, it is a lovely city. We arrived a day early and stayed overnight in Old San Juan and thought the area was vibrant and exotic. We spent an evening mingling with the locals in one of the town plazas where there was live music and everyone enjoying the beautiful weather. A great experience.

We've done cruises out of SJ several times....no problem. A) if you are not flying in a day or more before the cruise the ride from the airport is a lot longer than the ride from FLL airport to the cruise port there. B) Depending where you are flying from, it usually is a significantly longer flight and maybe not a non stop whereas the flight to FLL was. The "hassle factor" may be a bit more, but it's just sort of built in to where you are sailing out of. It's really not that bad! If you are going to go a day or two prior to the cruise, it makes for a MUCH nicer trip!

Never sailed Celebrity but we're heading on our 4th Southern Caribbean cruise this January, and have always sailed from San Juan! The southern itinerary is our favorite and we love San Juan. Definitely arrive a day or so ahead of your sailing and enjoy what San Juan has to offer. It's a great place! :)

Archived