POLL: Princess Coffee - Dishwater or Mud?

Spudhunter

Princess Coffee - Dishwater or Mud?  

292 members have voted

1. 1. Princess Coffee - Dishwater or Mud?

• It tastes like dishwater.
    • It tastes like mud.
    • It tastes like battery acid.
    • It has some other disagreeable taste.
    • Seems okay to me.

Lots of interesting views expressed.

I still think that if you get 'used to' a particular coffee, or any food for that matter, and consume it over some time....it will taste 'good' and then if you taste something different, it will not taste 'right'......

Just saying.......:)

how many people know what dishwater, mud and battery acid taste like.

Lol...

Unfortunately, I do know what dishwater and mud taste like. The worst gas station off the most remote exit on a lonely highway doesn't serve coffee that tastes like either. It can be truly, ridiculously bad coffee, and it doesn't taste like dishwater nor mud.

I'd think, though, that if one actually had tasted battery acid, one wouldn't be around to claim any other thing tastes like battery acid.

I am sitting on my balcony looking at the sea, I am drinking a cup of coffee knowing how hard I had to work to get here! The ship is beautiful it is so peaceful I am not working and about as greatful as a person can be.

DO YOU REALLY THINK I AM THINKING ABOUT WHAT THE COFFEE TASTES LIKE! " REALLY " COME ON

Exactly! :)

Do we really know for sure what the coffee is made from? Has anyone talked to any chef, etc and got the true picture? Could be syrup, or instant or maybe a giant perculator. I don't like it, but drink it anyway. :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
We were recently on the Caribbean Princess and found the coffee to be terrible, most mornings we could not even drink it. I am sure there is something that can be done to serve better coffee - other than buying a coffee card!

The answer is quite simple. Serve brewed coffee without the upcharge. Stop serving the stuff from syrup!

We've found we can't stomach the coffee in the HC, yet we don't seem to mind the room service coffee (provided it arrives hot). It must come from a different venue...

When we are eating in the HC my husband runs down to the IC, grabs 2 lg coffees and we bring them with us. I'm going to be heartbroken if the "rumour" (is it a rumour?) is true that coffee cards can't carry over ship to ship anymore... :(

Actually I drink tea. At least Princess had a better quality tea bag than Lipton's. I have brought my own tea bags with me so I don't have to drink that swill.

DH found that the coffee in the HC varied from day to day. Some days it was palatable, others not. If it's all coming from the same "tube" then why the difference?

Sue

This might sound strange, but after only having been on 2 Princess cruises I have come to look forward to a few experiences that I have found available only on the ship (both were on the Emerald). First, the smell of the MDR. By the end of the first cruise, it was a welcomed sensory experience that I looked forward to and expected every time we went in for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The second is the ships live camera that can be viewed from the cabin. After watching the bow camera on the website for months, it was surreal to see the actual live feed from my very own cabin. The third is the coffee. Yes, you can get better coffee almost anywhere else on the planet, but after that first morning when room service delivered our morning coffee and fruit bowls and we enjoyed a cup on our very own balcony while sailing on a beautiful ship, I actually came to look farward to that interesting tasting first cup of the day. On our last cruise, we took some Via packets but wound up not using them. We also bought the coffee card on our first cruise but still have many unused punches left on it (a topic for another post). In the dining room, we always concluded our dinner with a cup of coffee that, while not being the best or even in the top ten (ok, it wouldn't make any best coffee list) it was still a cup of coffee being enjoyed on a ship on my vacation at the end of a wonderful meal that neither my my wife or I had to cook. Yes, a nice brewed cup of coffee would be better than the concentrate, but in that strange way, it is now something that makes the cruise experience so unique. And I can hardly wait until December 17 when I get to enjoy it all over again!

Add me to the list of those that do not like the coffee on Princess as well as those that don't think Starbucks is that great. I drink Starbucks in a pinch. I'm also not a fan of the fresh-brewed coffee on Princess, but it is better than the syrup based. I also do not like the coffee on Cunard or Celebrity.

I love what I consider to be good coffee and buy Kona Dark Roast, Kona Peaberry, Jamaican Blue Mountain and some Cafe Britt Espresso and only whole bean. Grind my own fresh every a.m.

I also take my coffee beans and coffee-making paraphernalia with me on a cruise. Have a wonderful little hand-grinder that works really well (it's "powered" by DH) and use an aeropress to make the coffee. It's extra work, but oh the difference in the taste and how great it tastes while sipping it out on the balcony at the beginning of another wonderful day on board my favorite cruise ship (which is whatever ship I'm on at the time). :D

With all that said, however I believe that the type of coffee a person prefers and will drink is strictly personal choice and is totally subjective. One cannot please all people with anything. I find it supremely difficult to understand but some people don't even like my coffee!!!:eek: :rolleyes:I find that totally weird but I recently had a friend tell me that she thinks I'm really crazy to spend so much money and time on making a cup of coffee that isn't (in her opinion) drinkable. Go figure.

You sound like me - except that I don't take whole beans with me on board. I fell in love with Cafe Britt after trying it and I have people think I'm crazy paying for the beans and shipping. When I go to Starbucks - it's a quad espresso all the way - they ruin it by putting all that nasty dairy in there!!:eek::D

I do not drink the Princess syrup stuff. That wafting smell coming up from the steam will always steer me away. I'll buy espresso onboard and supplement with Via.

How many people have tasted mud or dishwater and if they have tried the battery acid .... how was the trip to emergency? Just seen Lew posted a similar thought
Let's see: there are four options in the poll about how bad the coffee is and one option that it's "OK." Not exactly an unbiased poll and any results will favor those who don't like the coffee. Even with that extreme bias, over 50% still think it's OK.

Let's see: there are four options in the poll about how bad the coffee is and one option that it's "OK." Not exactly an unbiased poll and any results will favor those who don't like the coffee. Even with that extreme bias, over 50% still think it's OK.

Pam, I had a specific idea in mind when I created the poll, and the results seem to have borne out my theory.

The whole point was that those who complain about the Princess coffee seldom explain what, exactly, is wrong with it. Adjectives like "Awful", "Horrid", "Swill", etc, don't really give any objective idea of what the drinker found objectionable, so they're useless in predetermining if an individual will enjoy a cup of Princess coffee.

Of the roughly 50% of the respondents that dislike Princess coffee, half of those thought that it was either too weak ("dishwater") or too strong ("mud"). Those are two polar opposites!

So, to summarize, half of the respondents think it's fine. 25% think it has a disagreeable taste. The other 25% are split between it being too weak or too strong. The drinker's preference simply all comes down to what they're used to drinking.

I'm the coffee drinker in our family and absolutely love Tim Horton's. I think the reason Starbuck's is so popular is because there are so many ways to disguise it! Not too many order just a plain coffee because if they did, they'd find out how bitter it truly is. As for Princess coffee, I like a coffee in the morning and Princess delivers. I don't care if it's syrup....if it looks like coffee, and it tastes like coffee, then it must be.....! There's not a stampede to medical complaining about the after effects. All subjective.

Archived