A Reluctant Cruiser...

sarafinadh

Well, I could have written this exact 'dreading' feeling. I HATED mass type cruising and dreaded going both times. And, both times, when standing on the deck, looking at the shore line thinking to yourself, "I think I can swim that distance"...well, yah, certified hater of cruisers.

"good for you for making the 50th anniversary an event for them to remember". Enjoy your NEXT trip!

A

Oh thank you for that image... can't help laughing at the picture it paints...

I do want this trip to be great for them. It's a big deal for them to have the whole family from both coasts together. Only happened twice before and funerals are what they are... So this will be them having all 4 grandchildren together. Honestly I think that the parents (us) were only included so the kids would come ; -D

If your cruise takes you to Skagway, do your best to go to the hardware store. It's great, and very "small town" -- a little of this, a little of that.

As for talking to the locals, one of my BEST memories from one of my Alaska cruises is the time I spent talking to my Tsimshian (sp?) guide at the Totem Heritage Center. She was very open and we found a lot to talk about, beyond the totems

Wanna go to Alaska next July? Going to a funky hardware store is JUST my cuppa tea.

I am also a traveller (mostly in Europe), and was reluctant to try a cruise. I loved it!

There are always quiet areas, with few people on a ship. Indoors and outdoors. The stars from deck are wonderful, as there is no light pollution!

I don't shop "I don't need more stuff".

Have fun!

I hadn't thought about stars! One of our favorite things to do in the sierras is to watch the meteor showers in august. Now I am thinking about the northern lights as well. I mentioned this to my daughter and she lit up too ; -)

I am surprised by how many of you are saying there are peaceful quiet areas on board. I was picturing the center of a mall, maybe near the food court. I think I would like a windowed area where I could read, or draw. And your tale of customs is funny.We shop alike on trips I think. Except for shoes, which I am guessing will not be a big item on this trip! I confess to some really scary VAT sheets coming back from Paris...

Here's a suggestion, bite the bullet and dine every night in one of the specialty restaurants.

I guess you really have no idea how huge cruise ships are. If you want a quiet place to be, there are many places tucked here and there.

The three times I've been to Alaska, the temps were near 80 degrees.

You seem concerned about time restrictions on the tours. You're in a port usually from around 8am until 5 or 6pm. That's really a lot of time for shore tours. These are small towns and a few hours is really enough time to see the best things.

But I must say, if you've already convinced yourself that you're going to hate it, that the other passengers won't be up to your personal standards, that you're going to be miserable, you probably will.

The dining tip is a great one. I AM looking forward to seeing the paneling in the Olympic, from the Titanic sister ship. And I understand that the premium resturants offer a more refined menu which we should enjoy. But I think that diplomacy will dictate that we only spend one night there. The other 7 in the party will in all likelihood NOT be interested in the upgraded dining experience.

I don't really have any idea of how spacious the ship will be. From what you all are saying it will be less crowded than I imagine. I have seen so many pictures of my Grandmother on the Matson line ships with swarms of people on the decks, and while living in Panama often saw the large cruise ships come thru, seemingly packed to the gills. I am trying to adjust that view to a less frenetic one.

I'll keep my fingers crossed about the temps, and maybe we will hit a warm spell.

I am concerned about the timing on the port calls. In looking at the schedule it seems as if the shorter days may be in the smaller towns where less time will not be such a problem. I confess that just the idea of being somewhere and having a drop dead return time everyday is a bit uncomfortable. Just very different. And I know the Spouse will be fretful if we run the time out to the last minute. He hates to be late.

Please don't misunderstand me. I have no though at all about the people on board not meeting some supposed personal standards. I have just been concerned that in general I would lack common grounds with them.

Also, join your roll call.

Read a lot on these boards. Lots of great info.

Check,

Double Check. Thanks ; -)

My advice is to make the most of this opportunity and approach it in a positive manner. After all, if you do this, it might turn out that you have a wonderful time. I hope you do.

Keith

That would be a really nice outcome. I am hoping that with some good planning and preparation we will be able to do just that. Thanks.

Heh. I just realized, I had a root canal yesterday and it's been terribly painful until the oxy I just took kicked in. I feel much less weepy about it all now.

For most of the people here, the pluses way out weighed the negatives.

To me the biggest drawback is the short time in ports. We overcome that a little by planning cruises that start and/or end in or near places we want to spend more time in. We leave several days early or stay several extra days.

I get that. That's why I am trying to get a better feel for how this trip will be for the three of us. Your game plan of bracketing the trip with time ashore to explore is an excellent one. Unfortunately the only time we will really have will be in Vancouver and is already alarmingly booked with bus tours and the like. *sigh* That part I have no control over. But as has been mentioned by other posters, I can use this trip to plan for future ones.

On a couple of my last cruises, there was an informal gathering of needleworkers in the morning, where we brought our own projects and worked on them while sharing ideas. In one of the bar/lounges.

That sounds like a really pleasant way to meet people. Do things like this get posted in some way so that you know about them or do you just have to be in the right place at the right time?

Do you have a camera? Do you have a laptop?

Think about taking pictures of everything.

the ultimate joy is being with people you love and participating in the great times ........ with memories that will last a lifetime. Take pictures.

Since it is a trip for your in-laws 50th anniversary, and it sounds like a large group of family members will be attending, if you focus on taking pictures of the family throughout the trip then you can put together a 50th anniversary photo album or scrapbook for your in-laws after the cruise is over as a surprise. I'm sure they would probably adore it.

Plus, you would be doing something that you mentioned that you enjoy instead of stressing over being forced to do something you don't enjoy. I bet if you focused on doing something that you enjoy, even in the middle of a 7 day trip you may not enjoy you would have a relatively good time. It may not be the best 7 day trip of your life, but hopefully it won't be miserable.

That is a really great idea. Thank you both. My sister has done photo books like that and they can be beautiful gifts. I am not a pro with a camera, but I do ok and with digital I can take ALOT of shots to get a few good ones. And I do love making gifts. This trip is going to be such a big deal for them. Doing this goes right to the top of my list.

If being/ getting cold is a concern for you, check out thin layering clothes. You really do not have to be cold. They make remarkable pieces that will keep you quite toasty!
I am thinking that on this trip I am NOT going to packing light as I usually do. If I think I will want it, I am taking it. The foulies are going along because I have heard, in addition to those 80° days I have read about, the cold windy rainy ones happen too, even in July. I want to be able to trek out where ever as much as possible. Huge quantities of hot cocoa will help on return to ship!
Like you I had lots of negative perceptions mostly about life on-board. I have read, researched, chatted with wonderful folks on the roll call and am having a blast making this into the type of trip that I want it to be. Our usual travels are like yours and this will be different! The advanced planning of excursions is something I have never done before but is essential with limited time in a location. I have scheduled with independent companies so smaller groups of folks --that has been a huge stress reliever for me. I have researched our ship and know where the best viewing places are. On sea days I plan to indulge myself and ignore anything that will interfere with my enjoyment while being considerate of others.
I hope to follow in your footsteps. ; -)

OP, you said:

I hope your onboard experiences and interactions change your perceptions.

As for what I find so soothing? The no-need-to-be-anywhere that settles in onboard after the first day. Having a glass of wine in my cabin as DH and I get ready for dinner. The simple pleasure of being the first one out on the aft deck, drinking my coffee and seeing whales. Little things, that added all together, are soothing.

Alaska is amazing. It has touched my soul in ways I cannot describe. It helped me change my life. It keeps calling me back. I can't get enough of it, the people, the land, the ports. I hope you find something on your cruise that touches you, too :)

I was taken by your description of *soothing* because some of those things are the same (or very similar) to the things I most enjoy aboard our little sailboat. That settled sense of just *being*. Early morning light on the water, sipping steaming drinks, mine is cocoa, not coffee ; -)

Interesting you find on a very large ship the same things that make me love mine. Thanks for sharing that.

I have sort of been living in the nile for the last few months as plans have been discussed, watching from the sidlines as emails flew back and forth across the country. When the confirmation came today with the order numbers and itinerary it was like a punch in the stomach. I felt really conflicted, and stressed.

I feel better tonight, thanks to the thoughtful words here. It's not such a drama, and a 9 day trip is not forever. The cruise sounds less like the crowded constant circus I have been dreading. I don't have much control over the plans, but I am going to go ahead and book for the port days what I know we will like. Aboard the ship we will just accommodate the group as best we can.

I should have taken the painkiller WAY earlier today ; -)

Edited by sarafinadh

Sara,

It is sounding as though you are wrapping your head around the whole idea in a less negative way. I could have written parts of your initial post myself a few years ago. A cruise was the LAST type of vacation I wanted to take.

I'm not going to say, 'Oh you'll love it once you get on board'...but fortunately for me, I quickly developed a fascination for all things that exist-move-sail-steam through the water. (bigger than our little fishing boat;)) So for me, it quickly became more about being on a vessel capable of navigating the roughest seas, while providing total indulgence, in all it's many forms. That part still really bugs me....the vast amounts of excess and first world wealth gobbled up, weak after week after week, all over the world.

That said, I am no hero. We all have stressful lives and need a break. A bloody good break from time to time, and for some of us who can only spare 7 days away, a quick Alaskan get-a-way is a way to refresh body and mind, and it's easy to do if you are thoughtful about how and where you spend your time. I never knew how much the ocean could change from moment to moment...and how restorative it can be to simply sit and watch it. Your description of hot cocoa makes me think you know it can be done.

I can throw a rock at Alaska, from where I live (sound familiar;)) so had a pretty fierce belief that since I live in the wilds, how exciting can Alaska be? I still grieve that Alaska is nota part of Canada.

Believe me, it's nothing like 'see one tree, seen them all, and I work in the woods, so I have some cred.

I will say one more thing, your itinerary looks crazy to me. You will be 'peopled' out in no time. Any chance you can get a pass on some of it? I have been to Skagway many times.....I recommend walking to the foot bridge (north of the ships) that crosses the Yukon River, where you can walk and walk and walk on very nice trails and peek into tidal pools. Beautiful. More so if the sun is shining...I will cross my fingers that you have nice weather. Good luck to you.

I think the problem here, Sara, is you have a LOT of misperceptions about cruising and cruise ships. The ship your grandmother cruised on from the Matson line averaged less than 2000 ton. Today's cruise ships go as high as 180,000 ton. Millennium is 91,000 ton----I think a fairly big difference from your grandmother's ship. As for how you viewed the ships going through the Canal, you have to realize that a vast majority of passengers stand out on the decks to view the Panama Canal and all the workings associated with that wonder. Of course it will look crowded when everyone is out on deck. But believe me, you will NOT feel like there are 1900 passengers on Millennium. I've been on that ship 4 times and it never felt crowded, because Celebrity ships have one of the best passenger to space ratio.

The best advice anyone can give you is to throw out all your perceptions of cruising and cruise ships as they are either outdated or incorrect. Your fellow passengers will come from all walks of life, all ages, all income levels. Some will be extremely well traveled while others will be cruise virgins. One thing about cruising, there will be persons from all walks of life and from many different countries. On my last cruise, there were passengers from 22 different countries. And finally, no one will force you to interact with anyone. Most cruisers do tend to keep to themselves and unlike the old Love Boat TV show, there isn't a cruise director who will be walking around insisting you take part in anything. You can be as involved as you want and you can be a hermit if you so desire.

Edited by kitty9

Some links

http://www.experienceketchikan.com/Ketchikan-blog.html

http://www.borough.ketchikan.ak.us/bus/BusRoute.htm

http://skagway.com/activities.html

http://www.traveljuneau.com/cms/d/day_itinerary.php

Lots of off the beaten path experiences! I think of it as going to a convention and picking out sessions to attend --cannot do it all but I can select what is important to me.

Edited by Alaskanb

OP -- you and your sibs might want to consider a renewal of vows package for your parents.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/siteSearch/processSearch.do?ip_server=prdiphrase-unstructcel-new222.dmz.rccl.com%3A1000&ip_text=renewal+of+vows

Just a thought, have no idea if it would be their kind of "thing" but seeing as you are a newbie to cruising, wanted you to know it is available.

OP -- you and your sibs might want to consider a renewal of vows package for your parents.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/siteSearch/processSearch.do?ip_server=prdiphrase-unstructcel-new222.dmz.rccl.com%3A1000&ip_text=renewal+of+vows

Just a thought, have no idea if it would be their kind of "thing" but seeing as you are a newbie to cruising, wanted you to know it is available.

Wow! This is an excellent idea. We've done it with my brother and a friend. We had the 3 ceremonies one after the other with the Staff Captain officiating. It was really nice. My brother blubbered like a baby.

Hi Sara, :)

Up until a few days ago I had always said I had no interest in a cruise, I would be bored, claustrophobic, wouldn't have any interest in the sailing days activities, and on and on. Then while planning a (many years in my dreams) trip to Australia and New Zealand I started thinking... hummm...

So, biting the bullet so to speak I started researching one way cruises from Australia to USA, and found some. So now my long time "would never take a cruise" self is so looking forward to this, our first cruise at the end of our New Zealand and Australia trip, and it isn't until April 2013.

We have always been travelers and vacationers, two months in Western Europe, trips around Canada, all over US, trips to various Caribbean islands, but Las Vegas trips also. I love both.

This, however has nothing to do with my likes, dislikes, etc. it is about you and the vacation your in-laws have planned. The best thing I can tell you is try and look at this not as a dreaded vacation your in-laws are giving your family group, but a gift you are giving your in-laws for their 50th anniversary. A 50 year anniversary is really, really a major milestone, and one to be enjoyed how they want it to be, not how anyone else wants it to be. There will be a time one day when you will look back and be grateful that you went on this vacation and did whatever it takes to not be miserable but to instead be happy that you, your husband, daughter and the whole family did this for the two folks that the vacation is really about.

I will think good thoughts for this cruise for you, and please think good thoughts for me also on our cruise. My husband has always said he would like to do an Alaskan cruise (which I honestly have really always kind of ignored) so I really hope I like this cruise so I can then plan the Alaskan trip he wants to do.

I will take my iPad and Kindle, I know I can always find some location to read.

Jeannie

Sounds like you are a great person to be with.

You can sit in a warm inside lounge by yourself, read your book, talk to nobody, and watch the scenery go by. Or else, you can sit in your stateroom with your back to the window so you do not have to see another tree and read the same book.

Your choice.

DON

July 13th 2012, Alaska Northbound inland cruise on the Celebrity Millennium. Family trip celebrating my In Law's 50th.

I love to travel, and my husband, college aged daughter and I have been on wonderful trips, all over the world. We stay in small apartments in residential neighborhood and walk and eat and explore endlessly and can happily amuse ourselves for days or weeks at a time. But we do not do the typical sightseeing, or the common venues. We don't have a schedule or even reservations except for lodgings. We don't "vacation", we travel.

Well...a cruise is anything you want it to be. From your comments you like to explore and amuse yourselves. I did this cruise on Celebrity several years ago and since you are in port almost every day you will be able to get off the ship and walk and amuse yourselves to your heart's content. All the ports are walkable right from the ship. I remember walking some of the neighborhoods of Ketchikan. Plenty of shops, restaurants, museums, bars, nature walks. We did the narrow gauge railroad to the Yukon out of Skagway. What a memorable experience. Alaska is simply unbelievable in it rich beauty and wild life. The Glaciers are unreal. To hear them break off and crash in the ocean is wild. It's not like a sun and fun of a Caribbean cruise. No amusement parks, swimming with the dolphins, snorkeling excursion or all day beach parties. Alaska in a place to experience. The grandeur and scenery is nothing short of breathtaking. You should just use the ship as a vehicle to get from one port to another and you will be "traveling," "seeing" and "experiencing" many wonderful things. Usually you are so tired from exploring once you get to the ship you change, have dinner, maybe see a show and go to bed. Since the ship caters to an older crowd you don't have the wild party atmosphere you get on the Caribbean or Mexico cruises. It's more of a early to rise; early to bed cruise. You really shouldn't dread the cruise. Just go with an open mind. It just for a week; not a 3 month around the world cruise. :)

Hi Sara, I think you will find that this itinerary will suit you well, plus with the added days beforehand in Vancouver, you probably will be actually longing for just some "boring" moments.

Why not pamper yourself a little bit by having a lovely massage (avoid buying the products) or a couple massage, using the heated swimming pool, sauna and the like. Have a romantic dinner with your husband.

The idea of making a gift scrapbook is lovely, but doubt if you can find enough time for that.

Just spend some time with your relatives making memories.

And speaking of time, seven days will go so fast, you will have to make a concious effort to take it all in.

So, do enjoy "the sail aways" and this new experience.

Please, let us know afterwards how the cruise has been for you and your family. Short review will do, but ofcourse we are all hoping you will love being out on the ocean while being pampered, plus discovering new places and exploring a new ship. :D:D:D

Just so you know you are not alone...there are people who don't like to cruise. I hate it, but I have no choice ...I have to cruise it is the worst part of my job. It is not the cruising , but people's sense of entitlement and ignorance that really turns a person way from getting on a ship . I just find the cheapest cruise I can find and do my 4 cruises a year that I am required. If I can find a 1 or 2 day to nowhere, that is perfect. I have to leave tomorrow for HON..by far the cheapest sailing I have ever been on

Another thing to remember is that you dont "have" to do anything on your cruise.

My first cruise was last year and I was really stressed the first couple of days. We were trying to do everything the ship offered and it was becoming a nightmare.

Then I found a small bar at the back of the ship where I could watch the wake. There was also a handy hottub there. This became my goto place for a couple of hours each day.

Sitting in a comfy chair watching the wake, with some conversation was VERY relaxing

I also opted out of one of the ports, and spent the afternoon at this bar having a really good conversation with the bartenders. Learned a lot about the phillipines. :)

In Sum you can go-go-go or relax-relax-relax. Or any mix of the two you want.

Since I took my first cruise, most other methods of travel have fallen out of the window. I do still do travel to far-away corners of the planet conversationally, but if a cruise can take me where I want to go then a cruise it shall be. Those that say that a cruise is a vacation, and not travel, are both right and wrong. It is a method of travelling that allows you, when onboard, to be comfortable, have your wishes heeded to, enjoy great food, as well as, should you wish, be entertained. If this is not what you want, you can just relax and enjoy the voyage in one of the ship’s many lounges, eat plentifully, sit out on deck, watch the magnificent scenery. Sara, if you love sailing, then I take it you like the sea- so even just being at sea, you could find something to enjoy, to marvel about the awing scenery. Food on cruise ships have it’s lapses, but on Celebrity it is known to be among some of the very best- you say that it is acceptable but nothing to be excited upon, I don’t know your background, but if only three Michelin star restaurants suffice then the food on Celebrity is nothing to write home about- otherwise, it is very enjoyable, the specialty restaurants in particular. When the vessel docks in a town, it is up to you to chart your course on how to explore it. Spend your time now planning what to do, and you will be amazed just how much can be done in 8-12 hours.

In regards to people on cruises, I’ll just note some of the people I have met in the only 9 voyages I have been lucky enough to partake in. One man had cycled all the way down from the North Cape in Norway to Cape Town, South Africa, over the course of three years. In Tanzania, people attempted to abduct him, when he resisted, they attempted to behead him, but the blade only hit his face. He now has a titanium forehead, as well as a titanium chin. I’m still in contact with the remarkable man- ironically, he works in Tanzania now as a lion handler. Another man was a very warm, friendly fellow who told me he worked in the oil business. As we headed back to England from the North Sea, he saw me, and took me to the ship’s promenade. There he pointed out an oil rig, saying his company constructed it- when I got home, looked him up and realized just what an important (retired) pioneer of oil rigs he had been in his working years. In 2009 I sailed with the Arctic Convoys, as they all headed to Murmansk, Russia for the first time since the Second World War in order to be decorated by a Russian Admiral. When we entered the port of Murmansk, a Russian aircraft carrier had it’s entire crew giving us a naval salute. Granted, the latter took place on a very specialized cruise but the people on meets on voyages at sea are very, very diverse. A cruise is a method of travelling which brings your accommodation with you, as well as great food, and entertainment. Loosen up and enjoy it. Over 17 million people take a cruise a year. Carnival Corporation & plc is the largest leisure travel company in the world- this huge industry is not built on people who think it will be ‘cool’ to cruise, but rather informed travelers who make an educated choice to enjoy one of the (imo) greatest, most relaxing past times on the planet.

Since I took my first cruise, most other methods of travel have fallen out of the window. I do still do travel to far-away corners of the planet conversationally, but if a cruise can take me where I want to go then a cruise it shall be. Those that say that a cruise is a vacation, and not travel, are both right and wrong. It is a method of travelling that allows you, when onboard, to be comfortable, have your wishes heeded to, enjoy great food, as well as, should you wish, be entertained. If this is not what you want, you can just relax and enjoy the voyage in one of the ship’s many lounges, eat plentifully, sit out on deck, watch the magnificent scenery. Sara, if you love sailing, then I take it you like the sea- so even just being at sea, you could find something to enjoy, to marvel about the awing scenery. Food on cruise ships have it’s lapses, but on Celebrity it is known to be among some of the very best- you say that it is acceptable but nothing to be excited upon, I don’t know your background, but if only three Michelin star restaurants suffice then the food on Celebrity is nothing to write home about- otherwise, it is very enjoyable, the specialty restaurants in particular. When the vessel docks in a town, it is up to you to chart your course on how to explore it. Spend your time now planning what to do, and you will be amazed just how much can be done in 8-12 hours.

In regards to people on cruises, I’ll just note some of the people I have met in the only 9 voyages I have been lucky enough to partake in. One man had cycled all the way down from the North Cape in Norway to Cape Town, South Africa, over the course of three years. In Tanzania, people attempted to abduct him, when he resisted, they attempted to behead him, but the blade only hit his face. He now has a titanium forehead, as well as a titanium chin. I’m still in contact with the remarkable man- ironically, he works in Tanzania now as a lion handler. Another man was a very warm, friendly fellow who told me he worked in the oil business. As we headed back to England from the North Sea, he saw me, and took me to the ship’s promenade. There he pointed out an oil rig, saying his company constructed it- when I got home, looked him up and realized just what an important (retired) pioneer of oil rigs he had been in his working years. In 2009 I sailed with the Arctic Convoys, as they all headed to Murmansk, Russia for the first time since the Second World War in order to be decorated by a Russian Admiral. When we entered the port of Murmansk, a Russian aircraft carrier had it’s entire crew giving us a naval salute. Granted, the latter took place on a very specialized cruise but the people on meets on voyages at sea are very, very diverse. A cruise is a method of travelling which brings your accommodation with you, as well as great food, and entertainment. Loosen up and enjoy it. Over 17 million people take a cruise a year. Carnival Corporation & plc is the largest leisure travel company in the world- this huge industry is not built on people who think it will be ‘cool’ to cruise, but rather informed travelers who make an educated choice to enjoy one of the (imo) greatest, most relaxing past times on the planet.

Paragraphs are our friends.:eek:

I think the problem here, Sara, is you have a LOT of misperceptions about cruising and cruise ships.

Kitty, I think you are right, and I am throwing them out as fast as I can ; -)

Sara, I never knew how much the ocean could change from moment to moment...and how restorative it can be to simply sit and watch it. Your description of hot cocoa makes me think you know it can be done.

I will say one more thing, your itinerary looks crazy to me.

The sea is a wonderful thing for wiping away the cares that bedevil us ashore...

I think you are correct about the itinerary. I am thinking of taking the middle day in Vancouver and going to do something that appeals to me, rather than more bus tour. I am still working on ideas for the port calls and will be for a while yet.

I found I could spend unlimited time just standing at the rail, listening to the sound of the water against the hull.

Temperatures in July, as others have said, shouldn't be too cold. I was there in May, and we had 75 degree temps in Juneau.

From your mouth... I am really hoping we are blessed with one of the *warm stretches* for our trip. I will enjoy that spot by the railing too.

Hi Sara,

A 50 year anniversary is really, really a major milestone, and one to be enjoyed how they want it to be, not how anyone else wants it to be.

I will think good thoughts for this cruise for you, and please think good thoughts for me also on our cruise.

Jeannie

Yes it is. I figured I had to figure out how to make this work so that I wouldn't put a damper on things. It would be mean.

and it's a deal!

I was right there with you on this idea until the Spouse said 'They will just say "we haven't worn out our first ones yet!"'

A good thought and suggestions gratefully noted!

Sounds like you are a great person to be with.

You can sit in a warm inside lounge by yourself, read your book, talk to nobody, and watch the scenery go by. Or else, you can sit in your stateroom with your back to the window so you do not have to see another tree and read the same book.

Your choice.

DON

Ow... I sense a bit of sarcasm here... Well, I can see how I might appear that way in this context. But I am not, evidence to the contrary, a hermit or recluse. And I am working HARD at getting over a lifetime's view as fast as I can...

You should just use the ship as a vehicle to get from one port to another and you will be "traveling," "seeing" and "experiencing" many wonderful things. It just for a week; not a 3 month around the world cruise. :)
I think this is pretty much where I am aiming at getting to. I figure I can do anything for 9 days ; -)

Please, let us know afterwards how the cruise has been for you and your family. Short review will do, but ofcourse we are all hoping you will love being out on the ocean while being pampered, plus discovering new places and exploring a new ship. :D:D:D

Good ideas, and I promise I will!

...I have to cruise it is the worst part of my job. It is not the cruising , but people's sense of entitlement and ignorance that really turns a person way from getting on a ship .
I guess ignorance and entitlement is always annoying, on land or sea. Sounds like you are really burnt out by your work. I hope the other 48 weeks of the year at work make the 4 cruising worth it ; -)

Another thing to remember is that you dont "have" to do anything on your cruise.

Sitting in a comfy chair watching the wake, with some conversation was VERY relaxing

I also opted out of one of the ports. :)

That sounds pretty appealing!

Sara, if you love sailing, then I take it you like the sea- so even just being at sea, you could find something to enjoy, to marvel about the awing scenery. Food on cruise ships have it’s lapses, but on Celebrity it is known to be among some of the very best- you say that it is acceptable but nothing to be excited upon, I don’t know your background, but if only three Michelin star restaurants suffice then the food on Celebrity is nothing to write home about- otherwise, it is very enjoyable, the specialty restaurants in particular.

- this huge industry is not built on people who think it will be ‘cool’ to cruise, but rather informed travelers who make an educated choice to enjoy one of the (imo) greatest, most relaxing past times on the planet.

I do love the sea and one of the things that I have become aware of is that I hadn't really considered this as a sea voyage. Initially I viewed it as more like a week long trip to the mall. My visual image of being on the boat is shifting to one that includes the view and the sounds and smells of the sea, which is both familiar and well loved.

As for food, I am, at this point going by the many reviews I have read. It does sound very inconsistent, and many seem to find it less than wonderful, which informed my opinion that perhaps we would not enjoy it much. I don't expect (or need) michelin ; -)

I figure either it will be better than anticipated, in which case Yay! Or it won't, in which case Oh Well...

And I am pretty much past my initial blindness about the other passengers. ; -)

We are also toying with the idea of upgrading the stateroom to a veranda. It would give us some privacy (right now our stateroom is shoulder to shoulder with my inlaws on one side and 2 teen age girls on the other) as I understand the walls are pretty thin ... That makes me sort of uncomfortable. And this way there would be some where for the family to gather that has a bit more room.

It would also offer the daughter a bit of quiet space during the day as well. The apple didn't fall far from the tree with that one ; -)

All the views and opinions and suggestions here are helping me really get a feel for what it will be like in a much more positive way, and for how I can plan it to be a success for all of us.

Edited by sarafinadh

If you can upgrade that would be an excellent thing to do!

My thing was I have to have a balcony so I can look out, open it for sea air, and sit outside if the temperatures are good. (I also get cold easily) I was going to book one with inside space of 300 and some odd sq ft plus balcony. DH looking over my shoulder says go ahead and do the 500 and some odd sq ft plus balcony. It may be overkill. It may be we will look back and think wow we didn't stay in the room all that much. But we can choose to not use the space we have, however we wouldn't be able to add space if we needed it. :D

I avoided cruising for years, as I'd thought it would be a bit like "Hi de Hi" (British holiday camp). I'm a traveller like you and am very independent. I can't stand crowds, organised sightseeing or daft games activities. Instead I just like to soak up the local atmosphere, eat and drink where the locals do.

Whilst all the things I detest do happen on a cruise, they are not mandatory...you can and many do, their own thing. I research ports ahead of going, just sonthat I've an idea ofbwhere I want to gonand how I will get there. Mostly I justbwander aboutnans see what appeals. I thought sea days would be boring but I lovevthem. I don't go to all the activities (although did attend language lessons)). Infindva quiet spot on deck and read or listen to music. I do like spas, somalways head there for a treatment. Chilling out in the peace and quiet ofbthe relax room, with the sun glistening on the ocean iscsompeaceful and tranquil. in also go the specialty restaurants where it is quieter and more refined. I also avoid buffets bas they bare too noisy and crowded andveat in the MDR. I enjoy meeting people from all cornersbofbthevglobe and am happy to share a table with any nationality at breakfast or lunch.

Not all bars are "bar scene" with karaoke and the like. I like.piano bars or those with

classical quartets and the like. I avoid the ones with games in them.

No two people have the same experience, you can make it what you want. This may not be your ideal trip, but it doesn't have to be awful.

If your inlaws invite you to go on a paid for trip to Alaska, you go along.

You spend time with your family. You read, play cards with them, go play Bingo. You are polite. You don't complain. You thank your lucky stars that you have family who love you and you're all in good health and can go on this kind of trip together. That your daughter is willing to go. That you can afford it. Geez.....:)

If you can upgrade that would be an excellent thing to do!

My thing was I have to have a balcony so I can look out, open it for sea air, and sit outside if the temperatures are good. (I also get cold easily) I was going to book one with inside space of 300 and some odd sq ft plus balcony. DH looking over my shoulder says go ahead and do the 500 and some odd sq ft plus balcony. It may be overkill. It may be we will look back and think wow we didn't stay in the room all that much. But we can choose to not use the space we have, however we wouldn't be able to add space if we needed it. :D

We chose a mini-suite with Princess so we would have "breathing room" and a larger bathroom!

All that room would be lovely I am sure, but prolly not in the cards for us. We are more of the minimalist traveler usually and budget concerns are always a consideration as well, but it does sound as if the addition of the balcony would be really nice.

I avoided cruising for years, as I'd thought it would be a bit like "Hi de Hi" (British holiday camp). I'm a traveller like you and am very independent. I can't stand crowds, organised sightseeing or daft games activities. Instead I just like to soak up the local atmosphere, eat and drink where the locals do.

No two people have the same experience, you can make it what you want. This may not be your ideal trip, but it doesn't have to be awful.

It's really reassuring to hear from others who shared the same initial wariness of cruising and to hear the things that make it work for them. Your comment on daft games make me laugh out loud and I had to read your post to the family. They though it was pretty funny too ; -)

If your inlaws invite you to go on a paid for trip to Alaska, you go along.

You spend time with your family. You read, play cards with them, go play Bingo. You are polite. You don't complain. You thank your lucky stars that you have family who love you and you're all in good health and can go on this kind of trip together. That your daughter is willing to go. That you can afford it. Geez.....:)

Yeah, poor me, huh? The thought of nine days of family time makes me a bit woozy ; -)

But, I am of course going, they will have no idea that we do not view this trip with the same anticipation they have. None of us would EVER want to spoil it for them.

As for affording it... The In-laws are generously paying for all the children and grands to travel to Vancouver and take the pre-trip, cruise, and fly home.

We pretty much blew the travel budget on an amazing grand tour to Venice, Paris and London to celebrate the daughters graduation from high school. It will be a bit before the unexpectedly astronomical cost of everything in Europe last June is wiped clear of the plastic. Upgrading to a balcony and doing the shore trips will be a splurge ; -)

And I just have to say I am NOT playing Bingo!! But the rest, yeah, that I will manage, and I think enjoy some of it. We are having fun discussing all the port trip options trying to decide what to do.

The sled dogs up on the glacier looks like the for sure Juneau trip! The daughter and I really are interested in that, and the Spouse pretty much indulges us so I suspect he will join us even though he is not as much a dog person as we are ; -)

We spoke with the folks this weekend about the trip and offered to sign them up for the cruisecritic welcome aboard party and they were pleased to hear about that. With the ten of us and two who were already signed up we are well on our way to the required 25. There is another party of ten that plans to join as well, so we will be having the party.

All the reading I have done has come in handy as they have done practically none.

Among other things they volunteered that each cabin has an allowance/bonus thing of $50, but they didn't know what the 4 kids would do with theirs as everything is *covered*. When I commented that would be good for the kids, because they could get drinks with it, they were REALLY surprised to hear that sodas are not included. When I mentioned they could use their allowance on coffee for themselves they were even more surprised.

They didn't know about the 2 bottles of wine per stateroom/no liquor, and I suggested they should find out ahead of time how that will work with minors booked into two of the 5 staterooms. It would be nice if we can take the allowance for all the staterooms.

They didn't know that the Millennium is being majorly overhauled this spring right before our trip and they thought that was nice.

They have cruised with Celebrity before, but I guess policies change.

The daughter just realized that the two formal dinners mean she will have an excuse to wear the stunning emerald green velvet strapless sheath, which was the prom dress, one more time. I didn't tell her that that was going to be pretty dressed up because it sounds as if formal night has a full range of attires represented and I figure people will forgive a young girl for dolling up! She gets to wear it to her other grandparent's 50th anniversary party we are throwing next week, so she will be getting way more mileage out of the gown than I ever imagined while I was making it!

I am encouraging her to make contact with the cousin she will be rooming with. Over the years they have met a handful of times and liked each other, but it's been a few years.

Anyway, we are all getting a better feel for the trip and looking forward to some of the opportunities. As soon as I get thru the weekend, with my folk's 50 nearest and dearest dancing and dining, and recover, I'll need to get busy and really go to work on the port trips!

Edited by sarafinadh

We are in our 30s, enjoy interesting, local, ethnic and other foods and cooking, am not a "joiner," but do keep quite happy on cruises.

I'll read a book by the pool or in a lounge, participate in a wine or martini tasting, go to the gym, play trivia if the mood hits, watch a musician in a lounge and have a cocktail, watch people play things like the newlywed game (as cheesy as it sounds, it's often worth some laughs if you have nothing else going on), etc.

The sea days will fly by. Especially if you've had some port-intensive days. You'll want some down time. Take a nap-you are on vacation!

Find a great local restaurant or delicacy shop in port to satisfy your foodie cravings. Ask locals or read about the port stops on Tripadvisor, where more land based vacationers get to know the cities.

I find the food to be a real non-issue for us. We enjoy getting waited on every day and find the food just fine. I also enjoy not getting the dinner bill at the end of the meal. :-) Sometimes there are some real food disappointments, but it's never a big deal. Sometimes there are some great hits on the menu. Given the ethnic diversity of cruise staff, you can usually find a style of food they do very well. On NCL, it's Indian and in the buffet I find the Indian items to be delicious.

I also love that on a cruise, my husband can go do whatever he wants, I can do what I want, and it's not a logistical mess like on a land-based vacation. If he wants to read and I want to go to the gym and swim, but meet up before lunch and spend the afternoon together, it's a no stress decision. On a land based trip, if I want to hit the gym, he's often stuck in a hotel room until I get back because he doesn't want to wander off and be stuck somewhere far away when I'm back and ready to go.

Go in to this planning for it to be a relaxing new adventure, especially if most of it is on someone else's dime.

Edited by weltek

sarafinadh, a couple of things.

1. Check the Celebrity site to find out what the tipping arrangements are. On HAL, each pax is charged $11/day for automatic tips/hotel service charge. I have no idea what Celebrity's policy is, but you need to know in advance.

2. Find out if you will have a hold put on your credit card(s) ... again, HAL "holds" $60/person/day. They do NOT charge it through on your credit card, but the hold reduces your available credit. Again, I don't know what Celebrity's policy is.

3. I'm pretty sure I've read on the Alaska forum that the dogsled/glacier shorex is one of the more frequently cancelled shorex -- either because of poor flying conditions or poor running conditions. So have a Plan B, just in case.

4. Again, check on the Celebrity site to see if you can pre-order hard alcohol for drinking in your cabin, if that is your (or other family members') "thing".... can cut down on the end-of-cruise shock at the final bill :)

Your daughter will be fine in her (sounds gorgeous) velvet dress -- there is a wide variety of clothing, and some people will likely be even dressier than her.

It'll be fine -- once you get past the OMG busy days in Vancouver, and are on the ship. You totally do NOT need a balcony for Alaska, you totally NEED to get out on deck to get 360 degree views.

Sounds like you have the stereotypical view of cruising. First off, the Millenium is 91,000 GRT! There are plenty of quiet spaces to enjoy and get away from the "fam" if need be. I haven't yet cruised with Celebrity, but from what I hear the food is the best of the mass-market lines. Sea days are awesome....nothing like the sun shining and endless ocean around you :D. Keep in mind if you book your own excursions, you are responsible for getting back to the ship on-time! They will not wait for you if you are on a non-ship sponsored excursion! Oh, when you are leaving ports make sure you get out on deck and watch for "pier runners".....the people who can't keep track of time and are the last ones on the ship! If they make it that is......Lastly, enjoy your family! Sure we all have family drama and issues, but you never know when you will get to spend a vacation with everyone together again! Relax and have a fantastic cruise! :cool: