Some Caribbean ports help please

Isklaar

I know I could ask on the Ports area of the board, and will do if SS regulars can't help, but since we're going to be on an SS ship I thought I'd ask opinions and advice here first. I do hope that's ok.

We're on Spirit for the 20th December Christmas/New Year cruise. I can't drum up any enthusiasm for the following ports :

St Lucia - first time visit. Sailaway time is at 3pm, certainly before 5pm, I assume this is so that the ship can sail past the Pitons in the daylight?

Barbados - been on vacation twice. The last time was many years ago, never had a desire to return. We're in port from 5am to 11pm.

Grand Turk - first time visit. I've read many posts here at CC about GT and it appears that there's very little there worth seeing. There will also be a Carnival ship with 3000+ passenger capacity in port with us that day, so I'm thinking that the beach close to the cruise ship terminal will be very busy.

Can anyone recommend any of the SS excursions for these ports, or any go it alone tips for 'must do's'? I'm happy to stay on the ship if need be, but don't want to feel as if I've missed anything by doing so, if that makes sense.

We did a zip line the first time we were in St. Lucia and loved it. The next time, we took an all day tour which included a catamaran ride back from Ladera resort. You will probably not have time for that. This December, we're going to do the Segway tour. I expect we'll see some pretty things, and the Segway is a blast.

Hope that is helpful.

We were in Grand Turk last November on a Princess cruise. The port area is a collection of very touristy shops and a beach. The main attraction appeared to be a Margaritaville. We arranged a private snorkeling trip prior to arrival and avoided the port completely. There was absolutely nothing in the port area of any interest to us. If we had not planned on snorkeling, we probably would not have left the ship.

On the other hand, if diving or snorkeling interests you, it's a great place. We are certified divers, but my wife has a sinus condition that will no longer allow her to dive, so we enjoyed ourselves at the surface.

I know I could ask on the Ports area of the board, and will do if SS regulars can't help, but since we're going to be on an SS ship I thought I'd ask opinions and advice here first. I do hope that's ok.

We're on Spirit for the 20th December Christmas/New Year cruise. I can't drum up any enthusiasm for the following ports :

St Lucia - first time visit. Sailaway time is at 3pm, certainly before 5pm, I assume this is so that the ship can sail past the Pitons in the daylight?

Barbados - been on vacation twice. The last time was many years ago, never had a desire to return. We're in port from 5am to 11pm.

Grand Turk - first time visit. I've read many posts here at CC about GT and it appears that there's very little there worth seeing. There will also be a Carnival ship with 3000+ passenger capacity in port with us that day, so I'm thinking that the beach close to the cruise ship terminal will be very busy.

Can anyone recommend any of the SS excursions for these ports, or any go it alone tips for 'must do's'? I'm happy to stay on the ship if need be, but don't want to feel as if I've missed anything by doing so, if that makes sense.

In terms of St Lucia pick some type of excursion. We tried to walk the town on our own and we are good walkers but it was chaotic.

We actually enjoyed our time in Barbados. We visited the Synagogue which is one of the oldest (might be oldest continuous Synagogue) of North America as well as a few other landmark buildings.

In Grand Turk there is not a lot to do. Consider taking a tour where you will see John Glenn's space capsule. Many people like to just sit on the beach.

Keith

Hi Isklaar, I just returned from Barbados and agree that it is not on a list to return to..however if I had a day to spend, I'd try to find a driver and go over to the "gold coast" - St. James and have lunch at one of the gorgeous properties..Sandy Lane (Matt Lauer on Today Show was there this week), or really any of the ones lining the road; keep going to the most beautiful abbey (St. Nicholas) making rum up on the north coast -the grounds are lovely, it is full of history, has a lovely terrace in gardens...and rum. Keep going around the coast down the Atlantic side where the look is wilder and crashing waves meet the rocks..There are several beautiful properties there where you could explore, grab a cold one, etc.

One day in Barbados was all we needed (although I was there a week) but I know some folks love it. Get back on the ship for dinner though - especially if it's formal night, haha (I replied here with my tiny bit of info as you were kind to reply to my "forma night" fears in my earlier postings!)

My grandmother was born there and several of us went on a family history trip - the Bajans are very friendly and welcoming; the island has just become too commercialized imo. I would not attempt to drive yourselves at all...it is crazy with winding roads and insane driving.

Also, some areas on the Atlantic coast there are locals are stopping tourists for reasons other than welcoming them to Barbados...just a heads up.

Whenever I'm 'under enthused' about a port (or place that I'm tagging along to with my husband on business), I try to take a cooking class on the local regional specialties. If you're not into cooking, then take a class with a local relating to any of your interests (art, writing, photography).

Emtbsam, I LOVE the Segway. Done it in Paris and have booked for upcoming stop in Malta. I think it's the easiest way to get around in such a short period of time while having fun!

Whenever I'm 'under enthused' about a port (or place that I'm tagging along to with my husband on business), I try to take a cooking class on the local regional specialties. If you're not into cooking, then take a class with a local relating to any of your interests (art, writing, photography).

Emtbsam, I LOVE the Segway. Done it in Paris and have booked for upcoming stop in Malta. I think it's the easiest way to get around in such a short period of time while having fun!

OMG -- Paris on a segway. Sounds fantastic!

Grand Turk - first time visit. I've read many posts here at CC about GT and it appears that there's very little there worth seeing. There will also be a Carnival ship with 3000+ passenger capacity in port with us that day, so I'm thinking that the beach close to the cruise ship terminal will be very busy..

While Grand Turk is a small island, it is really beautiful. Last year, the Silver Spirit docked where the water colour and the view looking from the shore were exceptional. It was a tourist resort and had many shops for its size, right next to the dock. To our surprise, it had quite a few jewellery stores that carried tanzanite and alexandrite, two stones that had become rare in the U.S. If you are at all interested in those stones, carry your credit cards with you. The price was good (compared to the U.S.), and the Spirit (on the voyage we were on) had even an official shopping advisor to follow you through the shops!

We are just off the Whisper and were in Grand Turk last week.

I can thoroughly recommend the 'Captain Explorer Out-Island and Snorkelling' tour.

The trip on the boat was exhilarating and the snorkelling was good. We ended up on a beautiful small island with crystal clear water where we encountered sting rays at close quarters. Oh yes, you get a rum punch after the snorkelling!

Look out for the friendly barracuda.

If Carnival is in the port as well, I would perhaps try to book this tour ASAP.

St. Lucia - have been there twice on SS. Really enjoyed the helicopter tour of the Piton's. Quite spectacular and worth every penny. Heard good reports of the zip line tour as well.

On our second visit we opted out of the ship organized tours and took a cab to Pigeon Island where we walked around the park. Had a very enjoyable lunch at a unique beach restaurant/snack bar called "Jambe de Bois" which we found by accident but is actually quite famous in St. Lucia.

Barbados - my best advice is to get out of Bridgetown, which is a zoo. We hired a taxi at the rank outside the cruise port and had a very enjoyable tour of much of the island including a lunch stop at a restaurant for a native dish of dolphin and cou-cou. Quite delicious.

There is always good food somwhere. The Coal Pot in St Lucia. Just take the little ferry 2 stops away for a lovely spot with good food. In Barbados you can't beat the food and view at The Tides, a short cab ride up the coast to Holetown. There are others, just ask the Shore Concierge desk or do some exploring on the internet. We have been to these places many times and lunch is always a great excursion!

Thank you so much everyone for these replies. Plenty of options here. I'll speak to my partner and see what we can agree on (even I can't shop 24/7 and he'd be happy to play golf wherever possible!).

We were in Paris a few weeks ago, we saw people doing the Segway tours. Small groups of 4-6 and they were all thoroughly enjoying it. I wish we'd had time to do the same.

Doug, thanks for the heads up regarding the Pitons. I was just guessing because it does seem that we leave rather early, and was trying to come up with a reason for such a brief stay.

Northerncheapo, I found out about the other ship from the Grand Turk port terminal official site, they have the schedule there. Otherwise I have used cruisetimetables.com which has info for many, but not all, ports around the world.

Again thank you to each of you, so many different suggestions, much appreciated.

Concur with conchyjoe, the helicopter tour is outstanding. It only lasts for 20 minutes but will give you a wonderful view of most of the central and south of the island. The run over the Pitons at about 20 feet is great fun, and the Canadian pilot is very knowledgeable. Money well spent (especially SS credit).

In Barbados, if you fancy a nice lunch go to Champers, excellent seafood and a beautiful location.

Archived