Chef's Table: Century

ken987

Hi,

Thought I would post a quick review of our recent dinner. The cost is $276 per couple. This includes a huge heavy book, photos, and wine. There were 4 courses so overall yes this was pricey. My take on it was that you were paying for the experience. There were some in between treats and the wines that were served were good, but no one in our group knew the vineyards.

The food quality was a slight step up from Murano.

If you are a relatively new cruiser then I would recommend this to you. We had the pleasure of the hotel director as our host so that made the evening more enjoyable since he was very engaging during the meal.

The serving staff and head chef were attentive and professional. We certainly felt like we were special VIP's.

There were some surprises which I won't divulge. The meal took 2 hours total counting the pre dinner champagne greeting.

We have done both the Allure and Oasis Chef Tables. If I had to rank them, the Century was first because it was in the Galley and was the closest to a true Chef's Table. The other 2 provided more courses and the food was more of a gourmet experience. There were no officers and the cost was much less.

Ken

Hi,

Thought I would post a quick review of our recent dinner.

There were some surprises which I won't divulge. The meal took 2 hours total counting the pre dinner champagne greeting.

Ken

Thanks Ken for your insights.. we will most likely take advantage of the opportunity when our turn on the Century comes..

Hi,

Thought I would post a quick review of our recent dinner. The cost is $276 per couple. This includes a huge heavy book, photos, and wine. There were 4 courses so overall yes this was pricey. My take on it was that you were paying for the experience. There were some in between treats and the wines that were served were good, but no one in our group knew the vineyards.

If you are a relatively new cruiser then I would recommend this to you. We had the pleasure of the hotel director as our host so that made the evening more enjoyable since he was very engaging during the meal.

The serving staff and head chef were attentive and professional. We certainly felt like we were special VIP's.

We have done both the Allure and Oasis Chef Tables. If I had to rank them, the Century was first because it was in the Galley and was the closest to a true Chef's Table. The other 2 provided more courses and the food was more of a gourmet experience. There were no officers and the cost was much less.

Ken

Any chance of seeing or hearing about the menu???

We started with an amuse bouche. Then had a smoked salmon appetizer. We then had a palate cleanser. Next was a choice. Goat cheese prepared like a mozzy stick, or cioppino. Then another palate cleanser and another choice, steak Diane or seared ahi. Finally we had dessert, souffle or a crepe dessert. Most choices were a riff on what was offered in Murano.

As a side note, I usually don't like salmon or goat cheese. I wound up choosing both and loving every bite!!!

2 of the courses were prepared tableside by the Executive Chef and the Maitre'd of Murano.

Portions were huge compared to other meals we have had before in this type of setting.

WE cruised the Century 10/17 and never heard of this offering...was this by invite only?

If you get the wine pairing with your meal at Muranos I believe the cost is approx $87 per person or $175 per couple ...and the food is VERY good as well as the wine. So at $276 per couple for the chefs table...what makes up for the cost difference...and moreso why should we pay the difference...other than the experience??????

WE cruised the Century 10/17 and never heard of this offering...was this by invite only?

If you get the wine pairing with your meal at Muranos I believe the cost is approx $87 per person or $175 per couple ...and the food is VERY good as well as the wine. So at $276 per couple for the chefs table...what makes up for the cost difference...and moreso why should we pay the difference...other than the experience??????

Exactly, this is your choice to decide. You can also factor that the book was 59.95 and 2 $20 photos...so there is the extra $90.

This was not by invite. It is advertised at the Murano check in area. Perhaps some group was in the know and booked it when they got on the ship.

Ken

Hi,

Ken

Ken

Thanks for posting this.

Any indication that they would offer this on other ships? We has a Lunch with the Executive Chef on Constellation last year but this sounds as good - if not better.

Sue

Ken,

Thanks for the information. We've done several wine dinners with Celebrity and will look for this on our Hawaii cruise in April. I'm glad I decided not to buy the cook book on our Alaska Cruise, I did not want to deal with it on the land portion of the trip and did not have any space in our luggage for it.

One question, were the wine pours unlimited, or just one glass per course?

Mary Lou

Is there really a wine called Amuse Bouche? The only Amuse Bouche I know of is the little hors d'œuvre served before the appetizer.

Yes and it is extraordinary. We were just discussing this thread over dinner and thought that the original poster may have been referring to hors d'oeuvres rather than the wine since Celebrity sells it for $300 to $350 per bottle, depending on the vintage. Cannot imagine them pouring it, even at a wine dinner.

Mary Lou

I don't mind paying for a great dinner with good wines, but I do mind paying for a book I don't want to carry and don't actually want and I certainly don't want to carry around after the cruise and carry in my luggage home. Is there an option for the meal without the book?

Wow huge price...Princess and Carnival its $75 pp and you get all the same stuff. Have done 2 on Princess and 2 on carnival not sure I'd pay $276. I do think $75 is too little but way too much at $276. Donna

Hi, I agree! I have done the $75.00 PP Chef's table on Princess and it included a kitchen tour with pairings and appetizers with the Executive Chef and Maitre'd Hotel followed by a multicourse meal with pairings and main course served by the EC. It also included a beautiful book and a photo. No matter how good the meal, the experience on X doesn't appear to compare and I would not pay that lofty price! Laurie

Archived