Skagway Extravaganza tour from Celebrity

kr9457

It was suggested I post this here:

Skagway Extravaganza

Any one taken this tour that Celebrity offers in Skagway? White Pass train up, bus down stop at gold camp, have salmon lunch and then stopping at the Red Onion when back in Skagway. Wonder is anyone thought is was worth $224 they charge. Or would you recommend a different tour in Skagway.

quote.gif multiquote_off.gif quickreply.gif

kr9457View Public ProfileFind all posts by kr9457Add kr9457 to Your Contacts

We did this excursion in August and enjoyed it. The buffet at Liarsville camp and the show were both good. Is $224 per person or for 2? If per person then I don't think we would have booked it. I can't remember what we paid but it was considerably less than $224.

Mary Lou

We did the train roudtrip in June and glad we did as you can see the road and traffic line at the border crossing. The traffic seem to be backed up for MILES...buses included...we got back to town and had a nice relaxing lunch.

Have fun!

White Pass Railway is a great trip. Be sure to read about the White Pass.

Skagway is an easy walk from the ship. Buy your lunch and have a flight of Alaska beer at the Grand North.

Salmon don't run all summer. Will you get fresh salmon at the salmon bake?

I'd skip that particular tour.

Maris

We found a mimi bus tour which rides paralell to the train route:D .They sell the bus in skagway on the street .Think it was $35 -$45 each & we had a R/T great tour;).(Bring your pass port ;as you do cross into Canada)Saves a ton of $$$:D

Skagway is a easy walking town. Also see their museum .Interesting;):)

We did the same excursion with another cruise line in 2004. I don't remember what we paid, but it was worth every penny. The re-enactors at the Liarsville Camp are great, plus there were a Native American fiddler and an older gentleman who told stories of the Gold Rush Days. Grilled salmon lunch was good. Panning for gold only turned up a few flecks, but it was fun. They admit that they salt the pans with gold, so everyone will find some.

Others in our group took the train up and down. They said the ride up was very interesting, but going back down was completely and totally boring. If you do take the train up, at least take an excursion that will take you down on the bus.

The town is within walking distance of the ship. It's very small, so you can easily explore it on your own after the stop at the Red Onion.

Kathy

Did they make photo stops on the way down on the bus?

We took this tour...though in the opposite direction (bus up/train down) before we joined CC, and even knew about doing non-ship tours. We enjoyed it, and as others have said the salmon bake was delicious; gold-panning kinda hokey but fun; re-enactment was enjoyable (talk to the actors...they have some great stories); and the scenery on the train ride was spectacular (we were on the first cruise of the season, the weather was sunny and great with tons of snow still on the ground); I believe we made one stop on the bus for photo-ops.

Enjoy !!

Did they make photo stops on the way down on the bus?

We stopped at the border for photos. You could give the tour guide your camera and he took a picture of you by the sign. I believe we had one other stop because the group before us at Liarsville was behind schedule.

Kathy

Rent a car and drive to Emerald Lake in the Yukon. You can stop and take pics or sightsee when you want. Get Murray's Guide (look for info on the Alaska port of call board.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

• 7 months later...
Was this tour long, read somewhere that some people felt it got too long.

It took the whole day but there were so many different parts to it that it never seemed long.

Once you get back into town at the Red Dog Saloon you can leave the group if you want. I don't think anyone in our group did though.

Mary Lou

My sister and her husband just got back and did the train up, bus to Emerald Lake, and return to ship by bus; lots of stops for photos and snacks and lunch. She said it was the best tour on the entire trip. My husband and I are going 8/31 and plan to do that tour when we go.

We just got back on Friday from the Infinity. We were afraid this tour would get long for us so we took the SK13 float & eagle preserve..OMG>..can't say enough great things about this tour, amazing experience we had a blast!

It was suggested I post this here:

Skagway Extravaganza

Any one taken this tour that Celebrity offers in Skagway? White Pass train up, bus down stop at gold camp, have salmon lunch and then stopping at the Red Onion when back in Skagway. Wonder is anyone thought is was worth $224 they charge. Or would you recommend a different tour in Skagway

We just returned from the Millennium Alaska cruise and took this tour. Thoroughly enjoyed it and felt it was worth the money. The train ride was wonderful. We had a couple of photo stops on the bus ride back. As others have said, Liarstown, gold panning and Red Onion were great fun. We didn't feel like it was too long.

would you recommend this tour or instead of including the salmon bake and red onion tour just doing a similar tour? They also have a tour that stops at Liarsville but you only get cookies and hot chocolate and no Red Onion tour. It is $75 less per person and we could do a tour of the Red Onion for $5 when we get back to town. We will be doing a Salmon Bake at the Taku Lodge the day before and we thinking we won't need that again the next day.

would you recommend this tour or instead of including the salmon bake and red onion tour just doing a similar tour? They also have a tour that stops at Liarsville but you only get cookies and hot chocolate and no Red Onion tour. It is $75 less per person and we could do a tour of the Red Onion for $5 when we get back to town. We will be doing a Salmon Bake at the Taku Lodge the day before and we thinking we won't need that again the next day.
Definitely do the less expensive tour especially if you're having the Salmon Bake the day before. Don't miss the Red Onion though. It was a fun, but short tour.

Archived