ins. question

pattyk

does any travel insurance cover if you miss the ship? nervous about the winter months,,we r from the north and going on cruise in jan. we r going down a day early but we r having some freaky weather here this year and what if can,t leave airport for more than 2 days we would miss the ship..could we catch it on the next island and would insurance cover this?

I am glad you are going in early. A wise decision.

If you have not yet purchased your policy a good web site is http://www.insuremytrip.com where you can easily find policies and read about what is covered and what is not.

If you purchased insurance through your cruise line be sure to read that policy.

Keith

IMHO it is almost always better if you are having to travel by plane to fly in a day early just to be sure of making the ship. We lived in Florida for many years and were able to drive to the ports to catch many of our cruises but when we had to fly someplace to catch a cruise, i.e. San Francisco for a Panama Canal cruise or Barcelona for a Med cruise) we flew over a day early. As was stated earlier each insurance company has its own policy about missing the start of a cruise but generally you are expected to make prudent and responsible decisions in your travel plans or they won't pay you for your mistakes.

Have a great next cruise.

The whole point of getting insurance is to have coverage in case you cannot get to the ship or need to leave the ship before the end of the cruise.

Most insurance policies have "trip interruption" coverage.

I agree that http://www.insuremytrip.com is a good web site to use to compare prices and coverage of insurance.

Hard to generalize, but I suggest you carefully study the "travel interruption" and "travel delay" provisions of any policy you are considering. Most will have stated minimum delay time frames (like, more than 6 hours) and will probably require that you obtain WRITTEN confirmation of the delay from the airline or carrier involved, etc.

Because of the potential problems in meeting these requirements and collecting the necessary documentation, I usually look for "cancel (the cruise) for any reason" insurance coverage. That way I figure if I don't meet the precise terms of the policy for travel interruption, I can always invoke the cancellation option. That option might pay less than the full value of the trip, or simply be a credit towards a future cruise, but at least it's something. (Disclaimer: I've never had to actually file a claim.)

Archived