I just won a HAL cruise - where should I go?

edmusic

Alaska...

and do it this way... fom LA take the train...right into Seattle to catch the ship from there. On return, you can catch the train ( 8 blocks from the pier) back to LA. Get a rt sleeper ... its a great way to start your trip and beats LAX all to heck. make your cruise part sea and part land

I did this several years ago and it was super !!!

Unfortunately, the pier that Holland America now uses is the "new" one at Pier 91 (not 66 anymore) so it is now much further than the 8 blocks....you would need a taxi. Also, the train gets into Seattle around 8:30 pm so you do need to spend the eve beforehand. And, the train back to LA leaves in the morning...maybe enough time to catch it? Not so sure...it would be sort of tight...I too LOVE taking the train up to Seattle from LA...but, these are just a few things to think about also :) Have fun on your Alaska cruise--Great Choice!! Alaska is AMAZING!!

I just won a 7 day Holland America cruise last night at a community fundraiser raffle. It is valid for a 7 night cruise to either Alaska, Mexico, New England, or the Caribbean. We just cruised on the Nieuw Amsterdam in March on a Western Caribbean itinerary, and we did the Alaska 7 day inside passage on Princess last July (2010). We are scheduled for Mexico this coming July on Carnival (our second time doing that), so that is out.

DW is begging to do the New England cruise, but I'd rather do Alaska again or the Southern or Eastern Caribbean. The only choices for New England are aboard the Maasdam or the Veendam, which both look like smaller, older ships - and possibly dated? Any thoughts or experiences on either of those ships? There are lots of choices for the Southern or Eastern Caribbean on the newer, more modern ships.

I guess my main question is how is the New England cruise for those of you who have taken it? I'm open to it if it really is exceptional. One possible fly in the ointment is we live in Los Angeles and airfare prices could be a determining factor and possible deal breaker. Thanks in advance for all your help and advice.

One more thing - the voucher is good for an ocean view cabin. Upgrading to a verandah would cost extra. Question - what do you think the chances of being upgraded (without cost) to a verandah is if we do an ocean view guarantee and hope for the best?

I would vote Eastern Caribbean on the Nieuw Amsterdam. It hits San Juan, St. Maarten and HMC. The weather will be nice.

Himself

Here's my original post:

Well after much research and checking the finances, we've decided on the 7-day Alaskan Explorer R/T from Seattle aboard the Oosterdam in June. Booked it today. Decided to stick with the cruise voucher cabin - a minimum Ocean View category F and hope the upgrade fairy visits us. Got a great airfare deal from Los Angeles and so when all is said and done, this cruise will be costing me $900 for DW and I combined less any on board expenditures and shore excursions.

Thank you for letting us know of your decision.

Have a wonderful Alaskan cruise.

Archived