I just won a HAL cruise - where should I go?

edmusic

Her advice when someone wins a free cruise is to use it exactly as it was won and not to try to upgrade.
Not sure that is exactly the best advice. Believe it or not, I won this exact same cruise prize last year at the same community event. Who said lightning never strikes twice! When I called HAL, I was offered an upsell to a verandah for $250 per person ($500 total) which I took. It was a category VF guarantee and we were upgraded two weeks before we left to a category V near the top of the ship (Nieuw Amsterdam). In fact, our category V was an unoccupied handicapped room so we were blessed with a slightly bigger room with a huge walk-in shower and a larger balcony located where the ship 'bends' giving us a fantastic panoramic view from our balcony. I don't see how there was a downside to that.

Called HAL yesterday to get more info on the cruise I won. For the New England/Canada cruise we were thinking about taking, it is good for the 'H' category cabins on the Maasdam; the four cabins in the front of the ship on the bottom level with only two small portholes for the 'view'. Has anyone stayed in these rooms before? What should I expect? An upgrade to a verandah is out of the question - hundreds if not thousands more.

I probably will consider another cruise itinerary on one of the larger 'S' class ships where an upgrade to a balcony would only be a couple of hundred dollars.

Bow wave noise is possible in those cabins. Also, quite a bit of motion.

If you're open to this idea, I'd ask HAL if you could book an inside cabin instead. IMO the inside K's on main (midship, or the extra large 548 and 549) or the inside J's on lower prom are wonderful cabins, which I'd prefer to a cat H.

But, if not - I'd grab the H, noise and motion be...(Maas)damed. Incredible value to be able to sail NE/Canada for free.

P.S. - HAL ship classes can be confusing, but Maasdam is a S (ie, Statendam) class ship, and small. So are the R (ie., Rotterdam) class vessels. The bigger ships with more balconies are Vista Class (Noordam, Zuiderdam, Oosterdam and Westerdam) and Signature Class (Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam). I bet by "S" you meant "Signature". Sorry if it sounds like I'm lecturing - don't want you to get stuck on the wrong ship!

Woo hoo! A free cruise!!

I've done Alaska twice and New England twice, both were great, and I will do both of them again.

I think you should choose the New England / Canada cruise. It's time you see how the people on the East Coast do it. :) Load up your "on demand" viewing with documentaries on Ben Franklin,the Boston,TeaParty, Benedict Arnold, Paul Revere and the Titanic. American and World History all around you on this cruise. Oh....and don't forget the seafood!!!

Have a wonderful (free) cruise!!!

Not sure that is exactly the best advice. Believe it or not, I won this exact same cruise prize last year at the same community event. Who said lightning never strikes twice! When I called HAL, I was offered an upsell to a verandah for $250 per person ($500 total) which I took. It was a category VF guarantee and we were upgraded two weeks before we left to a category V near the top of the ship (Nieuw Amsterdam). In fact, our category V was an unoccupied handicapped room so we were blessed with a slightly bigger room with a huge walk-in shower and a larger balcony located where the ship 'bends' giving us a fantastic panoramic view from our balcony. I don't see how there was a downside to that.

Maybe there is a difference when you win a free cruise playing Bingo while on a HAL cruise as compared to winning it at a community event??? She had won a free inside cabin on a 7-day Caribbean cruise. All I know is that she said that upgrading would have cost her a lot of money. This was a few years ago....possibly policies on winning free cruises on HAL have changed since then?

I just won a 7 day Holland America cruise last night at a community fundraiser raffle. It is valid for a 7 night cruise to either Alaska, Mexico, New England, or the Caribbean. We just cruised on the Nieuw Amsterdam in March on a Western Caribbean itinerary, and we did the Alaska 7 day inside passage on Princess last July (2010). We are scheduled for Mexico this coming July on Carnival (our second time doing that), so that is out.

DW is begging to do the New England cruise, but I'd rather do Alaska again or the Southern or Eastern Caribbean. The only choices for New England are aboard the Maasdam or the Veendam, which both look like smaller, older ships - and possibly dated? Any thoughts or experiences on either of those ships? There are lots of choices for the Southern or Eastern Caribbean on the newer, more modern ships.

I guess my main question is how is the New England cruise for those of you who have taken it? I'm open to it if it really is exceptional. One possible fly in the ointment is we live in Los Angeles and airfare prices could be a determining factor and possible deal breaker. Thanks in advance for all your help and advice.

One more thing - the voucher is good for an ocean view cabin. Upgrading to a verandah would cost extra. Question - what do you think the chances of being upgraded (without cost) to a verandah is if we do an ocean view guarantee and hope for the best?

I would do Eastern Carribean on either the Eurodam or the Nieuw Amsterdam. (I would prefer the Nieuw Amsterda, but that is personal taste. Both are great ships)

Called HAL yesterday to get more info on the cruise I won. For the New England/Canada cruise we were thinking about taking, it is good for the 'H' category cabins on the Maasdam; the four cabins in the front of the ship on the bottom level with only two small portholes for the 'view'. Has anyone stayed in these rooms before? What should I expect? An upgrade to a verandah is out of the question - hundreds if not thousands more.

I probably will consider another cruise itinerary on one of the larger 'S' class ships where an upgrade to a balcony would only be a couple of hundred dollars.

Check out the Alaska Vista Ships - Westerdam, Ooesterdam or Zuiderdam or

the Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam for the Carribean.

See how much it would cost to upgrade to the balcony on these sailings. Than you will have all your homework done so you can make a great decision.

Don't give up on New England for you bucket list. You probably don't want to use it as your freebie. It is an awesome cruise.

Eurodam does a nice job on Canada New England Cruise

Do let us know what you decide.

Called HAL yesterday to get more info on the cruise I won. For the New England/Canada cruise we were thinking about taking, it is good for the 'H' category cabins on the Maasdam; the four cabins in the front of the ship on the bottom level with only two small portholes for the 'view'. Has anyone stayed in these rooms before? What should I expect? .

I stayed in a category H room (707, I think) on Maasdam for a Canada cruise last summer. We had only ever had inside rooms before so for us it was nice to even have the sunlight. There was a recessed area at the head of the bed and the portholes were beyond that (about 2 feet from the head of the bed) so to look out the porthole you needed to kind of sit on your pillow or crawl into that area. We had fun doing that, but if you're used to balconies, you are going to be disappointed with the view.

We did not have any loud noises (and I'm a fairly light sleeper) or extra motion that we were concerned about because of being all the way at the front of the ship. Although we did have fairly calm waters, so I don't know what it would be like if the ship was really rocking.

I would definitely vote that you take the Canada/New England cruise though. The itinerary is incredible, especially sailing down the St. Lawrence river. It's very port-intensive, but there's so much to do in each port that you really don't need to spend a lot of money on shore excursions. Congratulations on your win.

Let me know if you have specific questions about the cabin.

• 1 month later...

Here's my original post:

I just won a 7 day Holland America cruise last night at a community fundraiser raffle. It is valid for a 7 night cruise to either Alaska, Mexico, New England, or the Caribbean. We just cruised on the Nieuw Amsterdam in March on a Western Caribbean itinerary, and we did the Alaska 7 day inside passage on Princess last July (2010). We are scheduled for Mexico this coming July on Carnival (our second time doing that), so that is out.

DW is begging to do the New England cruise, but I'd rather do Alaska again or the Southern or Eastern Caribbean. The only choices for New England are aboard the Maasdam or the Veendam, which both look like smaller, older ships - and possibly dated? Any thoughts or experiences on either of those ships? There are lots of choices for the Southern or Eastern Caribbean on the newer, more modern ships.

I guess my main question is how is the New England cruise for those of you who have taken it? I'm open to it if it really is exceptional. One possible fly in the ointment is we live in Los Angeles and airfare prices could be a determining factor and possible deal breaker. Thanks in advance for all your help and advice.

One more thing - the voucher is good for an ocean view cabin. Upgrading to a verandah would cost extra. Question - what do you think the chances of being upgraded (without cost) to a verandah is if we do an ocean view guarantee and hope for the best?

Well after much research and checking the finances, we've decided on the 7-day Alaskan Explorer R/T from Seattle aboard the Oosterdam in June. Booked it today. Decided to stick with the cruise voucher cabin - a minimum Ocean View category F and hope the upgrade fairy visits us. Got a great airfare deal from Los Angeles and so when all is said and done, this cruise will be costing me $900 for DW and I combined less any on board expenditures and shore excursions.

Thanks so much for letting us know. I've been thinking of you, wondering what you'd decide on.

Great to hear.

Now, go and have an amazing time.

P.S.: Have you looked at the F cabins on Upper Prom - 4121, 4122? Same as balcony cabins, but without the balcony? Floor to ceiling windows instead? Relax, you don't need an upgrade to get a fabulous cabin. (Nothing wrong with the F's on Main, either.) But, do tell your agent or PCC you really want to hear about upsells. Sometimes there are $99 pp balcony upsell offers.

Patricia wrote:

P.S.: Have you looked at the F cabins on Upper Prom - 4121, 4122? Same as balcony cabins, but without the balcony? Floor to ceiling windows instead? Relax, you don't need an upgrade to get a fabulous cabin. (Nothing wrong with the F's on Main, either.) But, do tell your agent or PCC you really want to hear about upsells. Sometimes there are $99 pp balcony upsell offer.
I did see those two cabins. They look great for an OV. But, I'm not specifying cabins; just asked for a guarantee and based on my previous guarantee experience am hoping for the best. I could have paid $200 pp for a VF guarantee, but things are tight financially and I'd rather spend the money on salmon fishing and kayaking. After all, it doesn't matter on the cabin - we all eat the same food, watch the same shows and relax in the same hot tubs.

I'm gambling the we will be given a balcony due to the limited number of OV rooms and that the demand for them will exceed the inventory thus kicking us up to a balcony. We'll see how it plays out and I'll let you know. Regardless, we will be delighted no matter where our cabin is. We realize how grand a balcony is in Alaska, but we just had one 18 months ago and so the experience is still fresh in our minds.

Alaska...

and do it this way... fom LA take the train...right into Seattle to catch the ship from there. On return, you can catch the train ( 8 blocks from the pier) back to LA. Get a rt sleeper ... its a great way to start your trip and beats LAX all to heck. make your cruise part sea and part land

I did this several years ago and it was super !!!

from LA take the train...right into Seattle to catch the ship from there
DW and I have recently started taking some Amtrak day trips and this sounds great, but being a small business owner, time off is at a premium and one week off is about all my business can handle w/o me. Great job security!

I would go early or late season to avoid the school-holiday crowd and for less expensive accomodation, post or pre-cruise.

How much flying are you willing to 'endure' or is your residence close to a HAL port ?

We've taken 5 Alaskan cruises in spite of the 5 hours of flying that it takes us to get to the west coast, but Montreal, Quebec City, Boston, and NY allows us to reduce dependency on air transportation.

June should be very pretty and green up that way. You may want the Upgrade Fairy to downgrade you to an inside cabin, since you are going to be traveling into the Land of the Midnight Sun during the longest days of the year. :p Have fun and you picked a winner.

SwissMyst wrote:

You may want the Upgrade Fairy to downgrade you to an inside cabin, since you are going to be traveling into the Land of the Midnight Sun during the longest days of the year.

I didn't even think of that! Great idea. I remember when we went the first week of August 2010, the sun didn't go down until 10:30 - 11:00pm and then rose again at 4am. This time we're going, we'll be less than a week away from the longest day of the year. Yikes!

Archived