I just won a HAL cruise - where should I go?

edmusic

I just won a 7 day Holland America cruise last night at a community fundraiser raffle. It is valid for a 7 night cruise to either Alaska, Mexico, New England, or the Caribbean. We just cruised on the Nieuw Amsterdam in March on a Western Caribbean itinerary, and we did the Alaska 7 day inside passage on Princess last July (2010). We are scheduled for Mexico this coming July on Carnival (our second time doing that), so that is out.

DW is begging to do the New England cruise, but I'd rather do Alaska again or the Southern or Eastern Caribbean. The only choices for New England are aboard the Maasdam or the Veendam, which both look like smaller, older ships - and possibly dated? Any thoughts or experiences on either of those ships? There are lots of choices for the Southern or Eastern Caribbean on the newer, more modern ships.

I guess my main question is how is the New England cruise for those of you who have taken it? I'm open to it if it really is exceptional. One possible fly in the ointment is we live in Los Angeles and airfare prices could be a determining factor and possible deal breaker. Thanks in advance for all your help and advice.

One more thing - the voucher is good for an ocean view cabin. Upgrading to a verandah would cost extra. Question - what do you think the chances of being upgraded (without cost) to a verandah is if we do an ocean view guarantee and hope for the best?

I vote for Canada/New England, especially if you like seafood. Since you've already been to other places, this is an opportunity to go somewhere that you haven't been to before. With the Canada/New England cruises won't start up again until next year, you've got plenty of time to watch for seat sales on flights to the east coast.

Veendam has just been renovated and Maasdam is scheduled for renovation in the next 2 years. Here's the link on Veendam renovation:

http://www.cruise.co.uk/cruise-news/article-1592/holland-americas-veendam-shines-after-major-makeover/

I wouldn't count on any upgrades without any cost, the upgrade fairy works in mysterious ways.:)

I just won a 7 day Holland America cruise last night at a community fundraiser raffle. It is valid for a 7 night cruise to either Alaska, Mexico, New England, or the Caribbean. We just cruised on the Nieuw Amsterdam in March on a Western Caribbean itinerary, and we did the Alaska 7 day inside passage on Princess last July (2010). We are scheduled for Mexico this coming July on Carnival (our second time doing that), so that is out.

DW is begging to do the New England cruise, but I'd rather do Alaska again or the Southern or Eastern Caribbean. The only choices for New England are aboard the Maasdam or the Veendam, which both look like smaller, older ships - and possibly dated? Any thoughts or experiences on either of those ships? There are lots of choices for the Southern or Eastern Caribbean on the newer, more modern ships.

I guess my main question is how is the New England cruise for those of you who have taken it? I'm open to it if it really is exceptional. One possible fly in the ointment is we live in Los Angeles and airfare prices could be a determining factor and possible deal breaker. Thanks in advance for all your help and advice.

One more thing - the voucher is good for an ocean view cabin. Upgrading to a verandah would cost extra. Question - what do you think the chances of being upgraded (without cost) to a verandah is if we do an ocean view guarantee and hope for the best?

I doubt that you'll get an upgrade to a balcony, especially on the Veendam and Maasdam but not at all with the prize you have won. Congrats by-the-way, what a great win.

New England is a nice cruise but if you are like us, then follow the sun. I'd be trying to see if I could get a credit to transfer to a 11 day on Noordam in the Southern Caribbean. If you have to stay on a 7 day (also like us) then, as the previous post suggests, Westy or Eurodam to the East. I prefer Westy, more space and no deck hogging Cabanas.

I vote for going anywhere just to be on a HAL ship.:D Then again if you have a problem deciding where to go just send me the voucher I know where I want to go.:D

Now seriously, since the Alaska cruises are pricier than the Carib and Mexican cruises I would look there first. Pick a ship in the Vista or Signature Class as you have more verandah options and a better chance for an upgrade. On our Nieuw Amsterdam cruise this month severalof our roll call members have gotten upgrades from OV to VA and even V category cabins.:p

Congratulations on the win. That's fantastic! Decisions, decisions....

if you can pay the difference you could go for 10 days on the Eurodam to Canada/New England and keep DW happy and it's a newer ship. Our son

has done this particular cruise twice (we also did it in September) and it is very port intensive but beautiful. The air fares might not be too bad if you book for September or October. Spend a few nights in New York and take DW to a Broadway show-knock her socks off with this trip!

It's a very popular cruise so you probably wouldn't be upgraded (free) to a balcony just a better ocean view.

We truly love the Alaska cruises too though-guess being where you live it would be cheaper flights.

Whatever you decide, congrats again on the nice win!

Veendam has just been renovated and Maasdam is scheduled for renovation in the next 2 years.
The Maasdam just had a major renovation this past Spring (Apr IIRC) which gave her the Mix and Lanai cabins, so she should be in excellent shape. Every ship gets a dry-dock sprucing-up (or more) every two years or so.

I won a HAL cruise last year while on board playing Bingo. It was for an inside stateroom for a 7 day Caribbean. they allowed me to put it toward another cruise. We did the 10 day Sunfarer which is the partial transit of the Panama Canal. Great trip! BTW..congrats!

I won a HAL cruise last year while on board playing Bingo. It was for an inside stateroom for a 7 day Caribbean. they allowed me to put it toward another cruise. We did the 10 day Sunfarer which is the partial transit of the Panama Canal. Great trip! BTW..congrats!

What is the value that they place on this "free 7 night cruise for 2". I did not know they would allow you to put the win towards another cruise.

I vote for Canada/New England, especially if you like seafood.

Veendam has just been renovated and Maasdam is scheduled for renovation in the next 2 years. Here's the link on Veendam renovation:

http://www.cruise.co.uk/cruise-news/article-1592/holland-americas-veendam-shines-after-major-makeover/

:)

quote]

Maasdam was just refurbished this year.

Congratulations !!! What a wonderful prize --- I would opt for New England in the fall, preferably October --- truly wonderful part of the country at that time of year. I would also see if you could upgrade to a balcony --- great spot to watch the beautiful fall colors.

Coming from the West coast --- you're in for a real show by Mother Nature. JMO

Jade13 wrote: What is the value that they place on this "free 7 night cruise for 2". I did not know they would allow you to put the win towards another cruise.
I'm not sure what value HAL places on it, but what I do know is how much non-profit charities pay for the cruise voucher. There are three levels of vouchers:

1. $700.00 = 7 nights in either Mexico or Caribbean

2. $1000.00 = 7 nights in either Mexico, Caribbean, Alaska, or New England

3. $1300.00 = 10 nights in any of the above

All three are for two persons staying in one ocean view stateroom and exclude airfare, taxes, port charges, gratuities, excursions, etc., etc.

Thank you all very much for the congratulatory messages as DW and I are thrilled. BTW, did I mention that we one this same cruise last year at the very same community fundraiser? I'm two for two! You should have seen the organizers faces when they drew my name again out of the hundreds and hundreds of tickets.

First of all congrats on the win!

If it is valid for a New England cruise I would do that!

Stick with the oceanview. Otherwise it will be used as a credit and when the price goes down it is not valid.

I won a certificate for an inside cabin Carribean Cruise or Mexican Riveria cruise. The certificate also stated that I could use this for an upper catergory or other cruise program.

I used it for a credit towards an OV cabin. It was a real headache to deal with when the prices of the verandah went below what I paid for the OV!

I did get an upsell offer! In the end I ended up paying the same cash value as the many others who purchased balconies and I get to report $800.00 income for my taxes this year that others don't have too. The certificate became worthless! Since yours was a donation to a non-profit. You will get somekind of tax write off

Stay within the OV of the certificate and you should not have a problem.

You could get an upsell offer if the prices go down.

Upgrading will not be without cost! When the prices of a verandah went below what I paid for a OV I was told the certificate was invalid.

I did get an upsell for an addition $200.00 per person.

I also wrote HAL and received a a letter of gesture that on my next booking the would give me a fee two category upgrade within the same cabin type

"Inside", Outside, Verandah, Superior Suite, Deluxe Suite.

We sail Maasdam's Canada/New England itinerary every summer, back-to-back, we love it so much. IMO, it is just about HAL's best short itinerary. Maasdam is a beautiful ship that has been lovingly maintained and is in very good condition. She is understatedly beautiful, comfortable, a great size and her crew is one of the best at sea.

Keep in mind, you will be hit with a 1099 form at tax time and will be taxed for the full value of the cruise.

Congratulations on your win.

Hope you have a wonderful cruise no matter which you choose.

Edmusic: with a voucher for an outside cabin, I personally would want to see which outside categories I'd be allowed to book.

For New England on Maasdam and Veendam, I would not be keen on outside categories H, G, and FF. However, EE would be terrific (or anything higher). I'd rather have an inside J or K than an outside H, G, or FF. I also wouldn't mind the obstructed/part obstructed cabins, categories HH/DD. As always, YMMV.

Same comments for Alaska for Statendam, Volendam, and Zaandam.

As for the newer ships in Alaska - Oosterdam, Westerdam, Zuiderdam - the obstructed categories are HH, H, GG and G. Even fully obstructed cabins give daylight, and many "obstructed" aren't by much, still quite a bit of view. I'd be content with any outside.

Ditto the newer ships in the Caribbean.

Most people would rather pick a cruise by the itinerary - very sensible!

Just thought I'd mention another factor to consider.

Jade13 wrote: Btw, the New England itinerary is the most expensive so you would get the most out of your free cruise.
No Kidding! I just checked the HAL website for these current prices (per person) for the 7 day Boston/Montreal cruise:

On the Maasdam in May:

Ocean View = $899.00

Verandah = $1899.00

On the Maasdam in September - same ship, same itinerary:

Ocean View = $1699.00

Verandah = $2999.00

I doubt the upgrade fairy will visit me on this one.

My friend won a free cruise playing Bingo on HAL. It was for an inside cabin. She inquired about paying for an upgrade to an outside cabin and found that doing so would not have been worth it. It would have made her "free cruise" worthless. Her advice when someone wins a free cruise is to use it exactly as it was won and not to try to upgrade.

Archived