Current Concierges continued

PH8

Had the same experience with Willie when we did our b2b on Freedom last December/January. Very disappointed in his attitude.

We had the pleasure of cruising with Fernando on the Jewel TA in August of 2012. What a wonderful and caring individual he is. You are in for a real treat.

Thought it was just me when we were on Freedom and had no interaction with Wilfredo(notice I don't call him Willie:).

Don't remember Fernando on the Jewel TA, but do remember you Patty & Jim:D

Will be boarding the BR on Sunday, so we will see if there has been any attitude adjustment.........when we were on for the Baltic and transatlantic the concierge told me he was returning from vacation for the Oct. 27 cruise, but we all know how fluid things are on RCI. I did see a posting from someone on this weeks cruise that they will have to use the Colony Club (could be the Safari lounge I get the lounge names mixed up) as the overflow CL as there will be so many D+ Pinnacles (30 I hear) onboard. We had 800 D, D+ and Pinnacles onboard for the TA and the CL was overloaded the whole cruise as was the D Lounge, even though they opened up the whole VCL as the Diamond Lounge. Can't imagine how this will work, but we'll see.

I think I should say something just because.

I've only been on Freedom once a while back. I remember not being crazy about the ship.

I'm now going through old files and getting rid of old cruise compasses - simplifying my life so to speak. Less clutter and junk.

I got to the Freedom of the Seas folder. I actually had some handwritten notes I made about what I liked and didn't like. I didn't like a lot - room storage, waiters, the high school cafeteria like look of the diamond lounge, and plenty more. Certainly I realize most people don't agree with me since I always read how much people like the DL on this class of ship. I guess to me, the view out the window while there is no big deal since I have my own balcony and it's usually dark when I go to the DL or CL.

But what was one of the very few things I liked about Freedom of the Seas. Willy! He was the DL concierge. No, I've never had him in the CL. But I do think it's fair to say that I wrote down some very nice things about him. Apparently I hit it off well with him. And I would think there have been others in the past who liked him - as a diamond concierge at least. I do remember he only sang once for us and that was the last night. He is from the Philippines, isn't he? And they all love to sing.

I would like to go on a ship where he is again just to see what my current impressions of him would be. I don't know if that will ever happen. I cancelled my Brilliance cruise in December the day before final payment was due. :D

Gina

I think I should say something just because.

I've only been on Freedom once a while back. I remember not being crazy about the ship.

I'm now going through old files and getting rid of old cruise compasses - simplifying my life so to speak. Less clutter and junk.

I got to the Freedom of the Seas folder. I actually had some handwritten notes I made about what I liked and didn't like. I didn't like a lot - room storage, waiters, the high school cafeteria like look of the diamond lounge, and plenty more. Certainly I realize most people don't agree with me since I always read how much people like the DL on this class of ship. I guess to me, the view out the window while there is no big deal since I have my own balcony and it's usually dark when I go to the DL or CL.

But what was one of the very few things I liked about Freedom of the Seas. Willy! He was the DL concierge. No, I've never had him in the CL. But I do think it's fair to say that I wrote down some very nice things about him. Apparently I hit it off well with him. And I would think there have been others in the past who liked him - as a diamond concierge at least. I do remember he only sang once for us and that was the last night. He is from the Philippines, isn't he? And they all love to sing.

I would like to go on a ship where he is again just to see what my current impressions of him would be. I don't know if that will ever happen. I cancelled my Brilliance cruise in December the day before final payment was due. :D

Gina

I remember Willie when he was on Radiance many, many years ago and he was just as you described him. He was the Concierge and was a lot of fun. He treated everyone who entered his lounge equally and with a smile.

Sounds like when he was in the DL on Freedom, he treated guests like he did on Radiance . However, once they moved him to the CL...........what a complete turnaround in attitude. Let's just say that he "tolerates" D+ and PC Members, but bends over backwards for Suite Guests.

His singing is not as popular as it once was. Yes, he is from the Philippines.

I remember Willie when he was on Radiance many, many years ago and he was just as you described him. He was the Concierge and was a lot of fun. He treated everyone who entered his lounge equally and with a smile.

Sounds like when he was in the DL on Freedom, he treated guests like he did on Radiance . However, once they moved him to the CL...........what a complete turnaround in attitude. Let's just say that he "tolerates" D+ and PC Members, but bends over backwards for Suite Guests.

His singing is not as popular as it once was. Yes, he is from the Philippines.

That's the way it certainly sounds. I don't think suite guests would be as into a singing concierge. I remember there were a few people who would complain about Julian's karaoke on Enchantment and I don't believe the complaints came from his fans; the frequent cruisers. :)

This is why I'd really love to be in the CL with him. I'd love to see just what's going on with him firsthand. I normally don't have anything for a concierge to do for me, but if I could manage a cruise while he's on board, I'm sure I could come up with something. I just don't foresee that happening. And I do take everyone's word for it.

He was on RD? WOW! He must have been pre-JD. My first RD cruise was later in the year that JD arrived.

It has been interesting looking through my files. People always ask, "have you cruised with this or that captain?" Well, now I know I have been on board with Capt. Been and Capt. Bang. Had I guessed, I'd have said no.

Gina

That's the way it certainly sounds. I don't think suite guests would be as into a singing concierge. I remember there were a few people who would complain about Julian's karaoke on Enchantment and I don't believe the complaints came from his fans; the frequent cruisers. :)

This is why I'd really love to be in the CL with him. I'd love to see just what's going on with him firsthand. I normally don't have anything for a concierge to do for me, but if I could manage a cruise while he's on board, I'm sure I could come up with something. I just don't foresee that happening. And I do take everyone's word for it.

He was on RD? WOW! He must have been pre-JD. My first RD cruise was later in the year that JD arrived.

It has been interesting looking through my files. People always ask, "have you cruised with this or that captain?" Well, now I know I have been on board with Capt. Been and Capt. Bang. Had I guessed, I'd have said no.

Gina

If I remember correctly, Willie was on RD back in 2004/2005. He alternated with Giuseppe (OMG, what a doll he was). Then Reyno got promoted like late 2006 maybe and was there for the September 2007 Member's Cruise to Alaska. I believe that JD alternated with Reyno for a while when he first started. Gosh, that was a long time ago.

Edited by cruisenfever

If I remember correctly, Willie was on RD back in 2004/2005. He alternated with Giuseppe (OMG, what a doll he was). Then Reyno got promoted like late 2006 maybe and was there for the September 2007 Member's Cruise to Alaska. I believe that JD alternated with Reyno for a while when he first started. Gosh, that was a long time ago.

My first cruise ever was in 2004. First on RD in 2008. So I missed a lot. I know very few concierges. I saw Reyno once on RD and wouldn't have been able to pick him out of a lineup. :) But now we have him in FL and I "get it". LOL

Gina

When we did our Hawaii circle cruise on the Radiance in 2007 Reyno was there as Concierge. This was the cruise right after the Alaska Member's cruise. :) This was our first Diamond cruise.

Edited by rednancy1

Willie was on Radiance --for the longest time, starting around 2002. He is one of the "most experienced" (i.e. been at it the longest) around.

Willie was on Radiance --for the longest time, starting around 2002. He is one of the "most experienced" (i.e. been at it the longest) around.

From what I have read, the issue isn't his experience but his "attitude" that is being questioned. We will be sailing with him tomorrow and will reserve judgement until we do, but if he is as condescending to all his guests who aren't in suites as has been reported, his name will certainly be mentioned in our comment cards

My first cruise ever was in 2004. First on RD in 2008. So I missed a lot. I know very few concierges. I saw Reyno once on RD and wouldn't have been able to pick him out of a lineup. :) But now we have him in FL and I "get it". LOL

Gina

Willie was the Concierge on RD in apr 2007 when we did the Hawaii cruise!!!

Never had or have any problems with him, and we are 'only' D+ :)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Willie was the Concierge on RD in apr 2007 when we did the Hawaii cruise!!!

Never had or have any problems with him, and we are 'only' D+ :)

We are told the reason for that is because there was only one lounge back then. Once there was the division it became a problem for loyalty guests in the suite CL.

Gina

I wish I had read this before I had just posted on the diamond/diamonds plus thread stating I felt like a second class citizen in the Serenade CL compared to how I saw the concierge falling over himself to attend to suite guests.

Was also somewhat surprised, both DL (Alan) great guy, and Concierge (Mario) are both from the Philippines. Mario was new (came from Explorer) and was trying hard, but I thought it was just me until I started reading here, how different they attend to the suite guests. I only asked him for one thing, after seeing him with the passports, if he were able to pick up ours too and he said, no, the protocol is only suite guests. There were only 30 D+/P on board, but I guess their protocols are in stone.

Mario told me they asked him to stay on with the Serenade and wasn't sure where Remi would go.

With all this said, I witnessed something on this cruise that I never saw before. Terrible behavior from a fellow D+ guest, his age approximately late 30s, maybe 40. This guest was from California but of Filipino decent as well. He was sitting at the bar section with his "partner" as they chatted with a couple sitting at the table next to ours. He called out to Mario who came over from his desk. A few words were exchanged and Mario retreated to the hors d'oeuvres and returned to the guest with a plate of chicken wings. Then returned to his desk. I'm sorry, but the concierge isn't your personal butler. I may not have been as shocked had he asked the bartender or waiter to fetch his food, but not call the concierge over. I expect and see guest ask the bartenders and concierges for drinks, but I have NEVER seen a guest ask the concierge to fetch their food and this is exactly how it appeared. This guest wanted to belittle Mario IMHO. I'm not sure if it was because they are both Filipino.

Again, I'm new to the CL, but I hope my fellow C&A mates can and will get up and fix their own plates in the lounge.

With that said, I do hope I run into Concierge who will treat me as nicely as they threat their suite guests.

I wish I had read this before I had just posted on the diamond/diamonds plus thread stating I felt like a second class citizen in the Serenade CL compared to how I saw the concierge falling over himself to attend to suite guests.

Was also somewhat surprised, both DL (Alan) great guy, and Concierge (Mario) are both from the Philippines. Mario was new (came from Explorer) and was trying hard, but I thought it was just me until I started reading here, how different they attend to the suite guests. I only asked him for one thing, after seeing him with the passports, if he were able to pick up ours too and he said, no, the protocol is only suite guests. There were only 30 D+/P on board, but I guess their protocols are in stone.

Mario told me they asked him to stay on with the Serenade and wasn't sure where Remi would go.

With all this said, I witnessed something on this cruise that I never saw before. Terrible behavior from a fellow D+ guest, his age approximately late 30s, maybe 40. This guest was from California but of Filipino decent as well. He was sitting at the bar section with his "partner" as they chatted with a couple sitting at the table next to ours. He called out to Mario who came over from his desk. A few words were exchanged and Mario retreated to the hors d'oeuvres and returned to the guest with a plate of chicken wings. Then returned to his desk. I'm sorry, but the concierge isn't your personal butler. I may not have been as shocked had he asked the bartender or waiter to fetch his food, but not call the concierge over. I expect and see guest ask the bartenders and concierges for drinks, but I have NEVER seen a guest ask the concierge to fetch their food and this is exactly how it appeared. This guest wanted to belittle Mario IMHO. I'm not sure if it was because they are both Filipino.

Again, I'm new to the CL, but I hope my fellow C&A mates can and will get up and fix their own plates in the lounge.

With that said, I do hope I run into Concierge who will treat me as nicely as they threat their suite guests.

Dang it........and I had to miss all the fun!!!!:(

Linda, you won't find that sort of treatment in all CLs. There are some very nice gals/guys working in the Concierge position.

We are told the reason for that is because there was only one lounge back then. Once there was the division it became a problem for loyalty guests in the suite CL.

Gina

We cruised on Freedom, few times, and as I said, we never had problems in the CL! We cruise only when we know that he's board!! Now, we need to change to BR, for awhile :) not problem there, because she's my favorite ship (we cruised on BR over 20 times..) :) and we can be in Tampa in 2 hours time (port Canaveral is at least 4 hours) :)

Franca

I only have experience with Willie in the CL. Despite the fact that we were not Suite guests he was quite nice and we were able to score a Cabana twice at Labadee.

He did experience a rather nasty experience from a Diamond member who tried to get CL benefits from him fraudulently. That might explain his apparent change in attitude; however, we have never experienced that ourselves.

Hi Patti, looking at the photo, Do you have another gorgeous grandchild ??? Hope to meet up with you on a cruise again one day.

Just off the Brilliance last Sunday. Willie was AWESOME! BY FAR the best concierge I've cruised with.

He treated everyone with the same level of respect and enthusiasm in the CL. He went out of his way to please everyone - and worked his tail-end off!

He did sing and play his guitar two nights during the trip. He was actually quite good! I think that we all would have enjoyed a tune or two every night! It was great to have a concierge with a personality!

I have cruised with Juan Diego and found him to be arrogant and uninterested. He had 5 or 6 favorites in the lounge who he seemed to enjoy - and who he spent his time with/energy on. But, it was as if the rest of us were a bother to him. The only time this was different was the 3 times the Captain was in the CL. Then, he was everyone's friend. (I did at 15-night repo on the Radiance with JD.)

In my experience, I'd put Willie at the top of my list, JD at the bottom, and the others in between. It's funny how we all have different experiences with the same concierges!

If I could, I'd choose Willie to be my concierge every time! (And I'd also choose Rajiv for the bar!)

Speaking of Reyno......... he is in the air on his way back from South Africa and will be landing in Orlando Sunday night at 9:24PM. I really miss that wonderful guy! If we didn't live so far away I'd go to the airport to welcome him back.:)
And he will be our Concierge on EN on Monday. Looking forward to meeting him -- have heard great things on this thread.

Just off the Brilliance last Sunday. Willie was AWESOME! BY FAR the best concierge I've cruised with.

He treated everyone with the same level of respect and enthusiasm in the CL. He went out of his way to please everyone - and worked his tail-end off!

He did sing and play his guitar two nights during the trip. He was actually quite good! I think that we all would have enjoyed a tune or two every night! It was great to have a concierge with a personality!

I have cruised with Juan Diego and found him to be arrogant and uninterested. He had 5 or 6 favorites in the lounge who he seemed to enjoy - and who he spent his time with/energy on. But, it was as if the rest of us were a bother to him. The only time this was different was the 3 times the Captain was in the CL. Then, he was everyone's friend. (I did at 15-night repo on the Radiance with JD.)

In my experience, I'd put Willie at the top of my list, JD at the bottom, and the others in between. It's funny how we all have different experiences with the same concierges!

If I could, I'd choose Willie to be my concierge every time! (And I'd also choose Rajiv for the bar!)

INHO Juan Diego is the best concierge fleet wide. From day one he has treated us like pampered guests. And we weren't in a suite then. :)

Edited by rednancy1